Tiny mistake costs Jetstar passenger a small fortune—you won't believe the debate it sparked!

The world of air travel can be fraught with unexpected fees and regulations that can catch even the most seasoned traveller off guard.

One such incident recently unfolded for a Jetstar passenger, who was at the centre of a heated debate after being slapped with a $75 fee for a mere 900g of excess baggage.

This is a cautionary tale for all of us, especially those accustomed to the more lenient travel days.

The passenger in question, Ms McCreanor, took to social media to express her frustration over the hefty fee.

In a now-deleted video that has since sparked widespread discussion, she explained that after attending a podium ceremony, she had to book a last-minute flight with Jetstar due to the unavailability of later flights with Virgin.

Rushing to the airport, she was dismayed that her carry-on baggage was just 900g over the 7kg limit, resulting in an unexpected charge.

‘I got hit with $75,’ Ms McCreanor lamented in her video.

She advised fellow travellers to be vigilant about their baggage weight and to pre-book any excess to avoid similar fines.

She also pointed out that the cost of paying for excess baggage at the airport was significantly higher than if she had booked the extra weight at a cheaper rate beforehand.

compressed-pexels-vlada-karpovich-7368191.jpeg
Airlines often offer lower fares by unbundling services, what used to be included in the ticket price, such as a baggage allowance, may now come with additional charges. Image Source: Pexels / Vlada Karpovich

The response from the online community was polarised.

Some social media users were unsympathetic, arguing that the rules were clear and that exceeding the weight allowance naturally incurs a fee.

'No sorry, it clearly gives [a] weight allowance. You went over, you pay,' one commenter insisted.

Another added, 'Seriously it doesn't matter who you are with, you will have to pay anyway, they are (sic) the rules.'

However, others empathised with Ms McCreanor's plight, sharing their stories of frustration with excess baggage fees.

'They did this to me on my honeymoon... I was p*****,' shared one user, highlighting that such experiences can sour even the most special of occasions.

A Jetstar spokesperson addressed the issue, stating, ‘Our carry-on baggage restrictions are designed to ensure a smooth boarding process, enough room to safely and comfortably stow all carry-on items and the correct weight and balance for take-off.’

‘We offer customers incredibly low fares which all include carry-on baggage allowance of seven kilograms across two items and the option to ask about pre-purchasing up to 14 kilograms.’

For domestic flights, travellers arriving at the boarding gate with more than 7kg of carry-on baggage can expect to pay a fee of around $80.

Jetstar offers an option to pre-purchase up to 14 kilograms of carry-on baggage, which can be a more cost-effective solution for those who anticipate needing more than the standard allowance.

This incident underscores the importance of being aware of airline baggage policies and the potential costs of overlooking them.

For our readers, particularly those who may not travel as frequently, it's crucial to check the fine print when booking flights.

To avoid any surprises at the airport, it's wise to weigh your luggage before leaving home and consider pre-booking extra baggage if necessary.

It's also helpful to pack strategically, wear heavier items, or distribute weight across carry-on and checked luggage.

Unexpected charges aren’t the only way that airlines are leaving passengers shocked as issues regarding lost baggage on airlines are also on the rise.
Key Takeaways

• - A Jetstar passenger was charged an additional $75 for her carry-on baggage being 900g over the 7kg weight limit.
  • - The passenger changed her flight at the last minute and did not pre-book for the excess weight, which resulted in the fee.
  • - Social media users had mixed reactions; some said she should have been aware of the weight restrictions.
  • - Jetstar maintains strict carry-on baggage restrictions for safety and comfort, allowing passengers to pre-purchase additional weight.
Have you encountered similar issues with baggage fees on your journeys? How do you ensure you stay within the weight limits? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Correct ‘Weight and balance’ is crucial to a plane taking off, struggling to take off and maybe taking off and crashing immediately. Recommended weights of carry on and checked baggage are crucial to flight safety - advisory weights and disregard for that is essential. If everyone carried a few grams or an extra kilo or so you must pay the price and don't whinge about it as that increases the overall weight of the plane. I worked for a government organisation and know that this is critical especially in small aircraft.

Reactions: Rob44 and Babbie
Being hit with that extra 32 ounces of luggage at about 100mph when the aeroplane stops suddenly could be serious..... as has happened. Momentum = mass x velocity, and 0.9kg x 160km/hr would tend to hurt.

Tried and true solution....if you have anything in your carry-on that might slide it over the 7kgs, just discreetly put it on yourself! Had to do this once when I realised either my tablet or kindle would make it weight heavier...went to toilets and slipped the kindle into the waistband of my trousers, then removed it afterwards.;)

I do not understand why this person has gone on social media over $75.00. There are rules and if she did not weigh her luggage beforehand then tough titties. Little to complain about. Where do you find these idiots?

Reactions: Rob44
Tried and true solution....if you have anything in your carry-on that might slide it over the 7kgs, just discreetly put it on yourself! Had to do this once when I realised either my tablet or kindle would make it weight heavier...went to toilets and slipped the kindle into the waistband of my trousers, then removed it afterwards.;)
I wonder what damage a "kindle" would do to the back of the head or an airline steward's face when travelling from an overhead locker through the air at 160 kph as the aircraft stopped abruptly on a runway, as in perhaps a plane crash. I suppose a smashed-in-the-face-by-kindle airline steward might be unable to help passengers to escape from the crash, as they are supposed to do. However, with all those hard-edged 7-kilo items jammed into the overhead lockers and breaking loose, the occasional high velocity "kindle" probably would make little difference to the result.

Did I say it was going in an overhead locker? You do realise this 7kg also includes the weight of your handbag! If I am sitting in a plane I will be actually reading my kindle! Pretty sure a kindle in an overhead locker would be the least of your worries....do you even know what a kindle is?

I have long realised that the stuff that gets into overhead lockers is potentially lethal in a plane crash, in particular those duty free bottles of whisky and vodka. They certainly contain enough alcohol to kindle a fire.