Two women lose hundreds of dollars to scammers impersonating David Koch

Keeping hard-earned money safe is essential, especially nowadays, as scammers can spawn left and right.

In an alarming wake-up call for all Australians, millionaire investor and media personality David Koch shared a harrowing story.

Two Australian women lost hundreds of thousands of dollars to ruthless online scammers.

Adelaide resident Alison Smyth was conned out of a staggering $250,000 by a sophisticated scam that exploited David Koch's trusted image and persona.

The scam used his likeness to promote a cryptocurrency investment platform on social media.

compressed-photo.jpeg
Business journalist David ‘Kochie’ Koch’s image was used by scammers and wrung two women out of their savings. Image Credits: Instagram/Kochie Online, Pexels/Worldspectrum

Ms Smyth, who wanted to secure funding for her Alzheimer's-afflicted mother, was manipulated into investing her life savings.

The realisation that she had been scammed was a devastating blow.

'I was totally mortified, and I thought of suicide,' she shared.

The story of Ms Smyth is a chilling example of how scammers prey on our aspirations and manipulate our trust.

She was not alone in her ordeal.

Another victim, Johanna Robinson from the Gold Coast, lost an even more astonishing $800,000 to a similar scam advertised on social media.

Ms Robinson was duped by a scammer who feigned shared religious beliefs to gain her trust and encourage her to invest her entire life savings.

'Just how he spoke to me was so encouraging,' she said.

'He then started questioning me about my beliefs, and I shared a lot and talked a lot about God...and he was so interested in my views.'

These scams are financially destructive and strip victims of their sense of security.

'The banks were stopping me, blocking and questioning me, "Are you sure you're not being scammed?" because the banks will not let you transfer in $25,000 lots a day,' she added.

'I was telling my granddaughter about the returns that I was getting, and she said, "That's a scam." I now wish I had listened to her.'

Ms Robinson now faces the daunting task of rebuilding her life, surviving solely on her pension, and considering changing her identity to protect herself from further harm.

Koch, a business journalist and a trusted figure in Australian media, expressed his frustration about his image being used to deceive people.

'People who trust me and trust what I say and look at me and say "Wow, I'm getting some comfort out of what this bloke is saying", are then getting ripped off by some scammer from overseas,' he said.

'It's devastating because it's my reputation, and these scams are so good.'

He has since called on tech giants like Facebook's parent company, Meta, to take more decisive action against fraudulent activities on their platforms.

Cybercrime investigator Ken Gamble warned that online fraudsters are 'selling the dream' of easy money but are orchestrating elaborate schemes to steal from unsuspecting individuals.

'Real trading feeds are getting fed into the website to make it look realistic, but it's fictitious,' he stated.

'The whole thing is bogus. It's a way of stealing money.'

So, how can you protect yourself and your hard-earned savings from such scams? Here are some crucial tips:
  1. Be sceptical: If an investment opportunity seems too good to be true, it probably is. Always approach unsolicited investment offers with caution.
  2. Verify credentials: Research any company or individual offering investment opportunities. Check their credentials and look for independent reviews or complaints.
  3. Protect personal information: Never share personal or financial information online unless you know the recipient's legitimacy.
  4. Consult trusted advisors: Consult with trusted financial advisors or family members before making significant financial decisions.
  5. Stay informed: Educate yourself on the latest scams and tactics used by fraudsters. The SDC forum has a Scam Watch section that is often updated about the latest scams, tactics, and best defences against looming scammers.
  6. Report suspicious activity: If you suspect a scam has targeted you, immediately report it to the authorities. This can help prevent others from falling victim to the same scam.

As part of his commitment to helping those affected by scams, Koch covered Ms Smyth's Port Adelaide club membership for life. While a small gesture in the face of her losses, it symbolises the community support that victims of scams deserve.

David Koch's involvement in bringing these stories to light is a powerful reminder of the importance of financial literacy and the need for greater consumer protection online.
Key Takeaways

• Two Australian women suffered financial losses at the hands of online fraudsters, with one losing $250,000 and another $800,000.
  • The scams used images of TV personality David Koch to mislead victims into investing in bogus cryptocurrency platforms and other schemes.
  • Victims were emotionally manipulated by the scammers, with some being groomed over extended periods to build trust before being defrauded.
  • David Koch urged social media companies like Meta to take stronger actions to combat online scams.
Have you or someone you know been targeted by similar scams? What measures do you take to safeguard your finances online? Join the conversation and share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I don't think there is any way you can protect people from their own stupidity.
This second lady just didn't listen. Her grand daughter told her, the banks kept blocking her transfers and warning her and still she ignored them all.
If you know nothing about investing then you are better off putting your money in the bank on a fixed term deposit. The return mightn't be as great but at least it's safe at the end of the day.
I know nothing about shares and investing, but I have managed to save a reasonable nest egg over the years. Each year I check around for the best bank interest rate and my bank will always match it...
At least my money is safe, I can sleep at night with no worries,
I'm not interested in ending up the richest person in the graveyard.
Greed leads people to do stupid things.

David Koch Pauline Hanson Carl Stefanovic Dick Smith and others all shown in these scam adds but no action os being taken againt the company sjoeing the adds and none againt the people making the add,Both should be prosequted .

Reactions: Gsr and Macarj
Yes; we can all carp on about greed and stupidity. Assorted religions and armaments manufacturers have dined out on that sort of gullibility for as long as there has been a priest/rabbi/ayatollah/Great Leader. And we still try to kill each other; what is happening in the Middle East is simply another a modern example. At least scammers only steal money.

Here we go again! I am astonished that this is still happening...enough online and on ACA and news that these are scams where they use the names of well known people. People must not listen or watch news it would appear to me. Twiggy Forrest is trying to take Meta to court over this as he is very incensed (as he should be) that his name is being used in this way. I think greed takes over with many people.

Here we go again! I am astonished that this is still happening...enough online and on ACA and news that these are scams where they use the names of well known people. People must not listen or watch news it would appear to me. Twiggy Forrest is trying to take Meta to court over this as he is very incensed (as he should be) that his name is being used in this way. I think greed takes over with many people.
I'm sure these people must live under a rock.

Reactions: Veggiepatch and Gsr
I think it comes down to greed.
When the promise of quick returns are offered, some people just seem to be hypnotised by the reward to come. That is the focus of thought and no amount of caution can change their quest for get rich quick schemes.
When my mother got to a certain age, she willingly changed the way she managed her finances by including my sister and myself in the equation. Any kind of unusual amount required authorisation by one of us, and fortunately, that was never needed, even after dementia set in.
I am at that stage of life now and both hubby and I have done the same. Our two sons are dual custodians. They have not been called upon to date, but you never know how our decision making can change as we age. Better to be safe than sorry.

Everyone wants a quick buck$ - so sorry have no pitting for anyone who gets scammed these days by stuff they read/hear from anything that digital.