TikTok bride ridiculed for baking her own wedding cake – “Some things are better off bought”

Whether or not you perceive marriage as a holy unity or a proud declaration of love among two people, the majority of us can agree that our wedding day is one of the most special and highly-anticipated milestones in our lives.

That being said, these days an engaged couple typically spends a fortune as well as hours on end in preparation for the big event – but the truth is that not everyone wants to or can afford to hold a dreamy wedding, similar to what we read about in fairytales.

One bride who shared how she whipped up her own wedding cake a few days before she tied the knot was ridiculed by users on TikTok.

Equipped with a humble Betty Crocker Rainbow White Cake Mix, the bride can be heard saying: “I’m getting married in two days, and today I’m baking our wedding cake.”

A few seconds into the video, the bride can be seen struggling to stack and ice the cake before completely covering the entire dessert with a generous amount of hundreds and thousands. For the final touches, she sticks a giant topper in of their last name and happily presents her homemade creation to her viewers.

hRFEGfmQXWCweMTyaMocgC8SK2Qk_gCJXJvDYDexlo2SNnCmQ1MuWoExrPB4NFdVs3zpVJATe6X4Wb2TTYoXeNafxvkgf7FeBbRNULF4Q1Lw9qGplaGhaCIbKduNkL0QsihnTM1oM9Twm-3sU40
M7m9j0YnXQ4P-BzRyIIho9trU53PYrGaUrU5lKJlmG395FLoSe-uHuq1DLIc8w_hrWwKYxmPvof6GKMRs33zIxEfKSZsDGxWL8AiKD2J4fqYgcdOm6pxq0j3q2_p8szkGbWIAvPrDiHIVMcWsLM

The bride and her homemade wedding cake. Image Credit: @darlinggooose

But not everyone was impressed with her idea – and the critics weren’t shy about making their disapproval evident either.

“Is this a joke???? That’s a birthday cake.” one user hissed.

“Why didn’t you practice first?” asked another.

“You could have at least watched a YouTube tutorial.” argued a third, while a fourth said: “Some things are better off bought.”

“I can’t help but wonder if your guests are having sandwiches for dinner…” wrote another.

“This was downright horrible.” a sixth brutally judged.

“I thought you were a professional baker and I was expecting this to turn out so good…” added one more.

Video Credit: @darlinggoose

But many more came to the bride’s defence, with one sharing: “This is exactly why I don't want a wedding. Everyone JUDGES EVERYONE!”

“I absolutely LOVE this idea! Every wedding cake I've tasted is s*** but I bet that this would taste amazing.” chimed another.

“As a baker, I love this! it stands out and it's not something so generic that you see at a ton of weddings! You did an amazing job!” praised a third.

“Tune out the haters! Looks good and is a great money saver.” reassured a fourth.

pJAXwxrFq4_WpRXSZ6UUhiUjInRhnXzMm3WNCUePXjRTlIHTaIacb94vzfoKoHb4YYOwbKpeTWye6IPPutSKPXaWsBtAamD-pUc8tMdptvP-Y5UMBLKbE2pqGAgHdfRwByyXRuMbO92l12f_zTU
_pyk11NQ1MCqtgvBvc31gltkuZ8sjGEA_N1G9y33xRpJMkE2QZhFbu4Yv5gknu182dmdjriKy4L9Am2yn2uzwQu3SKzXcFXf8znVHGJYS4_qLc6wLUv5cZ9epb0qGJuG013-4zwbpMSEhNityYQ

Ta-da! Image Credit: @darlinggoose

“I love and appreciate anything homemade. In my opinion, this is such a fun and tasty way to provide your guests with something you personally made.” wrote another.

“I like it! You made it yourself and that's awesome! I got married at a courthouse and threw a huge party it was so much fun! Congratulations!” added a sixth.

“I’m not even going to criticise because I wouldn’t be able to do this myself even if I tried. Great job!” commented one more.

What are your thoughts on the bride’s homemade wedding cake? What was YOUR special day like? Let us know in the comments!

Watch the full TikTok video below:

Sponsored
Whether or not you perceive marriage as a holy unity or a proud declaration of love among two people, the majority of us can agree that our wedding day is one of the most special and highly-anticipated milestones in our lives.

That being said, these days an engaged couple typically spends a fortune as well as hours on end in preparation for the big event – but the truth is that not everyone wants to or can afford to hold a dreamy wedding, similar to what we read about in fairytales.

One bride who shared how she whipped up her own wedding cake a few days before she tied the knot was ridiculed by users on TikTok.

Equipped with a humble Betty Crocker Rainbow White Cake Mix, the bride can be heard saying: “I’m getting married in two days, and today I’m baking our wedding cake.”

A few seconds into the video, the bride can be seen struggling to stack and ice the cake before completely covering the entire dessert with a generous amount of hundreds and thousands. For the final touches, she sticks a giant topper in of their last name and happily presents her homemade creation to her viewers.

hRFEGfmQXWCweMTyaMocgC8SK2Qk_gCJXJvDYDexlo2SNnCmQ1MuWoExrPB4NFdVs3zpVJATe6X4Wb2TTYoXeNafxvkgf7FeBbRNULF4Q1Lw9qGplaGhaCIbKduNkL0QsihnTM1oM9Twm-3sU40
M7m9j0YnXQ4P-BzRyIIho9trU53PYrGaUrU5lKJlmG395FLoSe-uHuq1DLIc8w_hrWwKYxmPvof6GKMRs33zIxEfKSZsDGxWL8AiKD2J4fqYgcdOm6pxq0j3q2_p8szkGbWIAvPrDiHIVMcWsLM

But not everyone was impressed with her idea – and the critics weren’t shy about making their disapproval evident either.

“You could have at least watched a YouTube tutorial.” argued a third, while a fourth said: “Some things are better off bought.”

“I can’t help but wonder if your guests are having sandwiches for dinner…” wrote another.

“I thought you were a professional baker and I was expecting this to turn out so good…” added one more.

But many more came to the bride’s defence, with one sharing: “This is exactly why I don't want a wedding. Everyone JUDGES EVERYONE!”

“I absolutely LOVE this idea! Every wedding cake I've tasted is s*** but I bet that this would taste amazing.” chimed another.

“As a baker, I love this! it stands out and it's not something so generic that you see at a ton of weddings! You did an amazing job!” praised a third.

“Tune out the haters! Looks good and is a great money saver.” reassured a fourth.

pJAXwxrFq4_WpRXSZ6UUhiUjInRhnXzMm3WNCUePXjRTlIHTaIacb94vzfoKoHb4YYOwbKpeTWye6IPPutSKPXaWsBtAamD-pUc8tMdptvP-Y5UMBLKbE2pqGAgHdfRwByyXRuMbO92l12f_zTU
_pyk11NQ1MCqtgvBvc31gltkuZ8sjGEA_N1G9y33xRpJMkE2QZhFbu4Yv5gknu182dmdjriKy4L9Am2yn2uzwQu3SKzXcFXf8znVHGJYS4_qLc6wLUv5cZ9epb0qGJuG013-4zwbpMSEhNityYQ

“I love and appreciate anything homemade. In my opinion, this is such a fun and tasty way to provide your guests with something you personally made.” wrote another.

“I like it! You made it yourself and that's awesome! I got married at a courthouse and threw a huge party it was so much fun! Congratulations!” added a sixth.

“I’m not even going to criticise because I wouldn’t be able to do this myself even if I tried. Great job!” commented one more.

What are your thoughts on the bride’s homemade wedding cake? What was YOUR special day like? Let us know in the comments!

The amount of $$$ people spend on weddings these days is ridiculous. It’s all about the wedding and not the marriage. My sister-in-law made my cake and it was iced by a friend. I made my own wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses, simple but elegant, I picked the flowers from my Mums garden the morning of the wedding and it was a perfect day. We are still blissfully happy 54 years on.

What does it matter what everyone else thinks. She put in the effort, gave it a real good go and was happy with the outcome. I imagine her wedding was fantastic, a really meaningful day where the Great God Dollar had no place in the proceedings. Good on you girl, I hope you got the compliments you deserved.:)

She should have expected criticism with so many perfect, self righteous people waiting to drag anyone down. This is HER wedding, Her choice of cake, and HER own work. Well done, May your life be as colourful as your cake, and happiness always.

The amount of $$$ people spend on weddings these days is ridiculous. It’s all about the wedding and not the marriage. My sister-in-law made my cake and it was iced by a friend. I made my own wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses, simple but elegant, I picked the flowers from my Mums garden the morning of the wedding and it was a perfect day. We are still blissfully happy 54 years on.
May you have many more.

Good idea and well done.

I had the picture perfect wedding 54 years ago with the best of everything. Dad paid for the lot. Hubby and I were both 22.
If I were getting married today, I’d have a cake like that one. Never in my life has it occurred to me to criticise the choices other people make for their wedding. Too many people have too much time on their hands and a shallow mindset that demands everyone adhere to their idea of perfection. Perfection can be overrated.

I think its beautiful and, its her day. she can have whatever she likes!

Very wise girl. Has her priorities right. The money spent on weddings now is ridiculous. This girl has her feet planted firmly on the ground and what a great story to tell her kids - mum made her own wedding cake the night before the wedding - beat that!

My husband worked with a mate, whose wife made and decorated lovely cakes and won many prizes in The Melbourne Show, for the best decorated cake. She made the cake for our wedding, as a gift from her and her husband. Many years later, at this dear Lady's funeral nearly every woman who attended said that Shirley had made their wedding cake. What a wonderful legacy she has left behind.

Good for her! She's done what's right for her and that's what we should all do (as long as no-one else is harmed in any way). It's her wedding, not anybody else's.

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci