Thrifty foodie reveals a simple but EFFECTIVE money-saving ‘milk hack’ - so you won’t need to buy any from the stores!

Nowadays, people are becoming more and more conscious about what goes INTO their bodies and, with recent food price inflation, what goes OUT OF their bank account. If there are both healthier AND cheaper alternatives for a certain food product (sadly, it’s usually a case of picking one or the other), it almost feels like winning the jackpot.

Fortunately, one foodie unveiled a simple yet effective money-saving ‘milk hack’, making up to six cups of the dairy-free alternative for only 50 cents!

Considering how a litre of oat milk can retail between $3-$5 at major Australian supermarkets, this hack can save you hundreds of dollars in the long run!

Angela Hedemman took to a widely known Facebook group to share how she made oat milk for the first time: “Made oat milk for the first time today! Six cups cost about $0.50 to make– not to mention saving all those tetra pack cartons.”

“I can't believe I haven’t been doing this sooner (I haven't had cow's milk in about 15 years). Don't be lazy like me -- it's so easy!”

b1iLUXO4-r8J1DrcGWjER8dAryOqO9TfTMv8MDux7CfLMq2kNG1rYWd8joiZ_XOCbuSAz8iKiqZLWd2vfVFAcZmcGQxTX6IP7D8Uc6JCNWDAS-n3NdK2dftDMWqatRy_1TaIba45

Image Credit: Cheap Vegan Food (Facebook)

Here’s what you need:

1. Three cups of water
2. Half a cup of rolled oats
3. Two tablespoons of maple syrup
4. Half a tablespoon of vanilla extract
5. One-eight a tablespoon of salt

She simply blends all the ingredients together and then pours the mixture through a strainer or cheesecloth to get milk.

“Don't push the mushy oats through the strainer or else it will be gritty.” she added.

Post Credit: Angela Hedemann

Her post garnered thousands of reactions from fellow Facebook users along with several comments from foodies keen to give her oat milk recipe a shot.

“I’ve been making almond milk for the past few years… I need to try this! It’s less expensive and better for the environment!” wrote one person.

“It’s crazy easy to make. I love it in coffee. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I am intolerant to additives, so homemade is cheaper, healthier, AND no animals are harmed. Win-Win-Win,” noted another.

However, a number of users raised concerns about how their previous oat milk experiments have turned out with a ‘slimy’ texture and an ‘awful’ taste, but many were quick to offer suggestions.

“It does not get slimy if blended with ice-cold water.” one user advised.

“Good job! But just a warning– it’s gonna get thick and slimy in a couple of days. You can add amylase enzyme to it and it will keep that from happening. It’s what companies that sell oat milk in supermarkets do. Then, you can heat it for lattes without it turning to oatmeal.” recommended another.

H7gfGYp-oT31JOY-FgQC1JaGJpFUAkXsIvw-B_6P6DP3V0Pq1tzrNHxaulo4qXhYUz8ssUgEkj4PPOVDbVCkgpb07KpawSUbmltQn1eOY5XQUbMr2JtTzPT07seE_pXMzaESGl_b

Image Credit: Food & Wine Magazine

While a third shared: “Add some cashews to make it creamy and you'll be in heaven!”

“Sometimes I add some coconut flakes to add fat and creaminess to my 'milk'.” said a fourth.

Another vegan home cook made her own version of the oat milk with dates instead of maple syrup and she claimed it’s 'perfect with tea and smoothies'. She also added that the milk can be stored in the fridge for up to five days and she uses the leftover pulp to make porridge with coconut milk.

Stumbling on sustainable ways to make your own food – or in this case… beverage – is pretty cool, eh? Now, you can enjoy a delicious, hot cuppa without worrying about the cost or the extra calories!

Have you tried making your own oat milk before? Share your story with us in the comments!

Can’t picture how Angela made her own oat milk? Watch a video from another foodie below!

Video Credit: Downshiftology

Sponsored
Thrifty foodie reveals a simple but EFFECTIVE money-saving ‘milk hack’ - so you won’t need to buy any from the stores!

Nowadays, people are becoming more and more conscious about what goes INTO their bodies and, with recent food price inflation, what goes OUT OF their bank account. If there are both healthier AND cheaper alternatives for a certain food product (sadly, it’s usually a case of picking one or the other), it almost feels like winning the jackpot.

Fortunately, one foodie unveiled a simple yet effective money-saving ‘milk hack’, making up to six cups of the dairy-free alternative for only 50 cents!

Considering how a litre of oat milk can retail between $3-$5 at major Australian supermarkets, this hack can save you hundreds of dollars in the long run!

Angela Hedemman took to a widely known Facebook group to share how she made oat milk for the first time: “Made oat milk for the first time today! Six cups cost about $0.50 to make– not to mention saving all those tetra pack cartons.”

“I can't believe I haven’t been doing this sooner (I haven't had cow's milk in about 15 years). Don't be lazy like me -- it's so easy!”

b1iLUXO4-r8J1DrcGWjER8dAryOqO9TfTMv8MDux7CfLMq2kNG1rYWd8joiZ_XOCbuSAz8iKiqZLWd2vfVFAcZmcGQxTX6IP7D8Uc6JCNWDAS-n3NdK2dftDMWqatRy_1TaIba45

Here’s what you need:

1. Three cups of water

She simply blends all the ingredients together and then pours the mixture through a strainer or cheesecloth to get milk.

“Don't push the mushy oats through the strainer or else it will be gritty.” she added.

Her post garnered thousands of reactions from fellow Facebook users along with several comments from foodies keen to give her oat milk recipe a shot.

“I’ve been making almond milk for the past few years… I need to try this! It’s less expensive and better for the environment!” wrote one person.

“It’s crazy easy to make. I love it in coffee. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I am intolerant to additives, so homemade is cheaper, healthier, AND no animals are harmed. Win-Win-Win,” noted another.

However, a number of users raised concerns about how their previous oat milk experiments have turned out with a ‘slimy’ texture and an ‘awful’ taste, but many were quick to offer suggestions.

“Good job! But just a warning– it’s gonna get thick and slimy in a couple of days. You can add amylase enzyme to it and it will keep that from happening. It’s what companies that sell oat milk in supermarkets do. Then, you can heat it for lattes without it turning to oatmeal.” recommended another.

H7gfGYp-oT31JOY-FgQC1JaGJpFUAkXsIvw-B_6P6DP3V0Pq1tzrNHxaulo4qXhYUz8ssUgEkj4PPOVDbVCkgpb07KpawSUbmltQn1eOY5XQUbMr2JtTzPT07seE_pXMzaESGl_b

While a third shared: “Add some cashews to make it creamy and you'll be in heaven!”

“Sometimes I add some coconut flakes to add fat and creaminess to my 'milk'.” said a fourth.

Another vegan home cook made her own version of the oat milk with dates instead of maple syrup and she claimed it’s 'perfect with tea and smoothies'. She also added that the milk can be stored in the fridge for up to five days and she uses the leftover pulp to make porridge with coconut milk.

Stumbling on sustainable ways to make your own food – or in this case… beverage – is pretty cool, eh? Now, you can enjoy a delicious, hot cuppa without worrying about the cost or the extra calories!

Have you tried making your own oat milk before? Share your story with us in the comments!

Can’t picture how Angela made her own oat milk? Watch a video from another foodie below!

Where is the calcium that you need in it as well? I would like to make my own but I use soy fortified with calcium. Maybe someone can tell me.?

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
Liz, if you used this recipe, you'd need to have alternative sources of calcium, naturally occurring in yoghurt or cheese, or greens (kale, Bok Choy or broccoli),seeds (chia, sesame), canned fish (salmon, sardines), beans (navy, lima), or fortified products (orange juice, some breads or breakfast cereals).
Or as a calcium supplement.

Last edited:
just take a calcium tablet she was just sayin you can make milk I have almond milk some people cant have cows milk

Reactions: Ricci

Here’s what you need:

1. Three cups of water

Thanks for that - that is an awesome idea!!!

Reactions: Ricci
Liz, if you used this recipe, you'd need to have alternative sources of calcium, naturally occurring in yoghurt or cheese, or greens (kale, Bok Choy or broccoli),seeds (chia, sesame), canned fish (salmon, sardines), beans (navy, lima), or fortified products (orange juice, some breads or breakfast cereals).
Or as a calcium supplement.
Thank you, I take a calcium supplement. I cannot have Cow's milk or do I eat fish. I like my green veges and often make a spinach and kale smoothie with soy milk. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay