Three-month-old Big Mac looks disturbingly similar to a fresh one – is this what we're eating?

It's general knowledge: fast food isn't the best for our health. It's loaded with salt, fat, and sugar – not to mention all of the preservatives that keep those burgers and fries fresh for what seems like forever.

But even though we're aware of how bad it is for us, sometimes the convenience (and taste) is just too hard to resist. And let's face it – who doesn't love a Macca's burger every now and then?

However, one customer in Queensland got more than they bargained for when they compared a Big Mac they had just bought from their local store to one they had stored in their fridge for three months...with shocking results.

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 7.32.09 AM.png
Macca's Big Mac comes under fire for not showing 'signs of rot' even after months of storage. Credit: Macca's.

Last week, a video surfaced showing a customer examining a freshly purchased Big Mac and comparing it to one he had purchased on August 25.

The poster, who goes by the username Bob Loblaw on TikTok, opened up both hamburgers side by side to show that – except for the fact that one is slightly smaller than the other – there is almost no difference between them at all!

'That's been sitting in my fridge for three months… Let's have a look at the one from today,' he said in the clip as he held up the new burger.

'No mould, no rot, the burger's hard. How's the lettuce not even rotten? Absolutely full of preservatives,' He went on to say that McDonald's 'should be f***ing ashamed' of themselves because of how heavily processed their food is.

But be warned, the video below contains some rather strong language, so proceed with caution if you plan on watching it.

Susie Burrell, a dietician, said that she wasn't surprised by Mr Loblaw's findings because of how many preservatives fast food contains. 'I believe McDonald's uses pretty standard preservatives,' she said. 'It's a good example of how heavily processed fast food is not great for us.'

Stephanie Partridge, a researcher at the National Heart Foundation, claimed that there are more serious health concerns associated with eating at McDonald's than the use of preservatives.

'Eating junk food in excess can contribute to chronic problems like heart disease, type two diabetes and obesity,' she said.
And as the cost of healthier alternatives grows due to inflation, Dr Partridge also pointed out that the greatest issue with fast food is that it is becoming more accessible and affordable.

Here in Australia, McDonald's says it takes great pride in the sourcing of its ingredients, the ethical treatment of its workers, and the minimal impact its operations have on the local environment and community.

'We've worked with Australian farmers and producers for more than 50 years,' it says on their website.

'We purchase over 90% of our produce, products, and ingredients such as beef, chicken, milk, wheat, eggs, crisp lettuce, fresh tomatoes, and apples from more than 15,000 farmers right here in Australia.'

Credit: McDonald's Australia.

Members, if you're concerned about what you're really eating when you buy fast food (or any packaged foods), we recommend doing your research before making any purchase decisions.

Next time you're feeling peckish, maybe consider giving your local fast-food chain a miss. In the meantime, we recommend heading over to the Cooking/Recipes forum on the SDC website for amazing recipes that are not only healthy but budget-friendly as well!

Take care of your health always, everyone!

Sponsored
It's general knowledge: fast food isn't the best for our health. It's loaded with salt, fat, and sugar – not to mention all of the preservatives that keep those burgers and fries fresh for what seems like forever.

But even though we're aware of how bad it is for us, sometimes the convenience (and taste) is just too hard to resist. And let's face it – who doesn't love a Macca's burger every now and then?

However, one customer in Queensland got more than they bargained for when they compared a Big Mac they had just bought from their local store to one they had stored in their fridge for three months...with shocking results.

View attachment 9833
Macca's Big Mac comes under fire for not showing 'signs of rot' even after months of storage. Credit: Macca's.

Last week, a video surfaced showing a customer examining a freshly purchased Big Mac and comparing it to one he had purchased on August 25.

The poster, who goes by the username Bob Loblaw on TikTok, opened up both hamburgers side by side to show that – except for the fact that one is slightly smaller than the other – there is almost no difference between them at all!

'That's been sitting in my fridge for three months… Let's have a look at the one from today,' he said in the clip as he held up the new burger.

'No mould, no rot, the burger's hard. How's the lettuce not even rotten? Absolutely full of preservatives,' He went on to say that McDonald's 'should be f***ing ashamed' of themselves because of how heavily processed their food is.

But be warned, the video below contains some rather strong language, so proceed with caution if you plan on watching it.

Susie Burrell, a dietician, said that she wasn't surprised by Mr Loblaw's findings because of how many preservatives fast food contains. 'I believe McDonald's uses pretty standard preservatives,' she said. 'It's a good example of how heavily processed fast food is not great for us.'

Stephanie Partridge, a researcher at the National Heart Foundation, claimed that there are more serious health concerns associated with eating at McDonald's than the use of preservatives.

'Eating junk food in excess can contribute to chronic problems like heart disease, type two diabetes and obesity,' she said.
And as the cost of healthier alternatives grows due to inflation, Dr Partridge also pointed out that the greatest issue with fast food is that it is becoming more accessible and affordable.

Here in Australia, McDonald's says it takes great pride in the sourcing of its ingredients, the ethical treatment of its workers, and the minimal impact its operations have on the local environment and community.

'We've worked with Australian farmers and producers for more than 50 years,' it says on their website.

'We purchase over 90% of our produce, products, and ingredients such as beef, chicken, milk, wheat, eggs, crisp lettuce, fresh tomatoes, and apples from more than 15,000 farmers right here in Australia.'

Members, if you're concerned about what you're really eating when you buy fast food (or any packaged foods), we recommend doing your research before making any purchase decisions.

Next time you're feeling peckish, maybe consider giving your local fast-food chain a miss. In the meantime, we recommend heading over to the Cooking/Recipes forum on the SDC website for amazing recipes that are not only healthy but budget-friendly as well!

I have seen photos of a 20 yo Maccas cheeseburger and it looks the same as the day it was cooked.

Have never eaten a Big Mac & I never will, firstly I don't eat mince & I don't like all things put on a bun like that. The only things I would consider are chips & Apple pies. otherwise, you can keep your Maccas!

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 9833

Plastic food for plastic people

Have never eaten a Big Mac & I never will, firstly I don't eat mince & I don't like all things put on a bun like that. The only things I would consider are chips & Apple pies. otherwise, you can keep your Maccas!
The only time that I have ever darkened the door of any Macca's has been to use the bathroom, I refuse to eat any of their food or any other chain store fast food

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay

View attachment 9833

David Whipple claims to own “the world’s oldest hamburger,” which he says he purchased at McDonald’s on July 7, 1999.

I don't buy takeaway food, as I can't afford it.
I am allergic to the allium family of vegetables, which most takeaway food contains, even if it's garlic powder or onion powder.
AND, I think it's all so artificial....I wonder about the nutrition levels....for those who eat it frequently.
A once off for a celebration....probably OK.

I don't buy takeaway food, as I can't afford it.
I am allergic to the allium family of vegetables, which most takeaway food contains, even if it's garlic powder or onion powder.
AND, I think it's all so artificial....I wonder about the nutrition levels....for those who eat it frequently.
A once off for a celebration....probably OK.
Did you know you can swap fries for green salad . Had 2 cheese burger meal last week , remove 3 half buns , swap fries and voila low carb maccas !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci