Brain Teaser THOUSANDS have failed to solve this viral brain teaser - can YOU spot the mistake?

Nothing keeps a wit sharp like a good old-fashioned brain teaser.

If you're a fan of tricky brain teasers, this puzzle is for you!

This puzzle has taken social media by storm because so many people had trouble getting the answer right.

So what exactly is it?

Screenshot_2.png
This teaser had thousands scratching their heads in confusion. Credit: TikTok/@sumbio13

It asks a question along with the numbers 1-9 written in different colours.

Quite simple, right?

Now, as it says, the challenge is to spot the mistake.

Two women, presumably a mother-daughter pair, tried their luck solving the puzzle — and we have to say, they might as well have been reading our thoughts!

‘It’s that simple,’ a man’s voice says. ‘Can you find the mistake?’

The daughter felt like something was off with a word in the poster.

‘It feels like (mistake) would be the misspelt thing, but that’s how you spell “mistake”.’ she said.

‘Is it something to do with the colours? That’s the right numeric order, right?’ the mum thought.

The pair repeated the whole question several times: ‘Can you — find the — mistake?’

‘This is going to kill you guys when you find out,’ the man recording the video said.

‘(The order of the numbers is) right, “mistake” is not misspelt… is it the colours?’ the daughter said again.

‘(I’m) not going to tell you yet,’ they were told.

After a few more seconds of fruitless guessing, the mum finally asked: ‘Is this a legitimate thing?’

‘Yes, there is an actual mistake, yes.’ the man responded.

The two, unfortunately, failed to solve the puzzle…

But fret not! Many brainy users were able to come to their aid.

Are you ready for the answer?

All along, the answer was staring at the pair right in the face!

You see, there was a typo in the question.

Screenshot_3.png
The mum and daughter discussed what they were looking for in detail. Credit: TikTok/@sumbio13

The sign reads ‘Can you find out the the mistake?’ and there should only be one ‘the’!

Had the words been written in a line, the error would be obvious — but the formatting made it way more challenging to spot.

If you’re in disbelief right now, don’t worry. We spent more minutes on this teaser than we’d like to admit!

Many users also shared their experience solving the puzzle.

‘It’s so funny how the brain automatically corrects me for stuff like this! (I) found it, but (it) definitely took me a bit.’ one user said.

Another admitted with a facepalm emoji: ‘I didn’t figure it out and had to read the comments.’

But for other eagle-eyed users, the teaser was a piece of cake!

‘I knew it was a double word two seconds in,’ one claimed.

‘How does anyone miss that?’ another said in jest.

One clue as to why so many missed the tricky typo may be related to why we also miss out on our own typing mistakes.

Have you ever sent out a text and only found a typo long after you sent it?

Well, according to Dr Tom Stafford of the University of Sheffield, a large part of reading is expecting what words to come next.

‘The more the reader knows what you are likely to say the more they are likely to … ignore the details, like typos.’ he said.

This extends to our mistakes as well.

‘It’s happening all the time, with every single act of perception. Our own typos are hard to spot because we know what we meant to write, and so this gets in the way of seeing what we actually did write.’

So don’t feel bad if you didn’t get the answer right away. What’s important is you got to exercise your mind (and have some fun)!

In a related story, even Sunrise hosts Nat and Kochie fell victim to another tricky brain teaser.

So, did you have fun guessing the answer?

Share your experience solving it below!

Source: TikTok/@houseofhighlights

Sponsored

This puzzle has taken social media by storm because so many people had trouble getting the answer right.

So what exactly is it?

View attachment 9490
This teaser had thousands scratching their heads in confusion. Credit: TikTok/@sumbio13

Quite simple, right?

Two women, presumably a mother-daughter pair, tried their luck solving the puzzle — and we have to say, they might as well have been reading our thoughts!

‘It feels like (mistake) would be the misspelt thing, but that’s how you spell “mistake”.’ she said.

‘Is it something to do with the colours? That’s the right numeric order, right?’ the mum thought.

The pair repeated the whole question several times: ‘Can you — find the — mistake?’

‘This is going to kill you guys when you find out,’ the man recording the video said.

‘(The order of the numbers is) right, “mistake” is not misspelt… is it the colours?’ the daughter said again.

After a few more seconds of fruitless guessing, the mum finally asked: ‘Is this a legitimate thing?’

View attachment 9491
The mum and daughter discussed what they were looking for in detail. Credit: TikTok/@sumbio13

The sign reads ‘Can you find out the the mistake?’ and there should only be one ‘the’!

Had the words been written in a line, the error would be obvious — but the formatting made it way more challenging to spot.

If you’re in disbelief right now, don’t worry. We spent more minutes on this teaser than we’d like to admit!

‘It’s so funny how the brain automatically corrects me for stuff like this! (I) found it, but (it) definitely took me a bit.’ one user said.

Another admitted with a facepalm emoji: ‘I didn’t figure it out and had to read the comments.’

One clue as to why so many missed the tricky typo may be related to why we also miss out on our own typing mistakes.

Well, according to Dr Tom Stafford of the University of Sheffield, a large part of reading is expecting what words to come next.

‘The more the reader knows what you are likely to say the more they are likely to … ignore the details, like typos.’ he said.

‘It’s happening all the time, with every single act of perception. Our own typos are hard to spot because we know what we meant to write, and so this gets in the way of seeing what we actually did write.’

So don’t feel bad if you didn’t get the answer right away. What’s important is you got to exercise your mind (and have some fun)!

In a related story, even Sunrise hosts Nat and Kochie fell victim to another tricky brain teaser.

I guess being a classroom teacher for years and proofreading students work , it was easy to find the mistake .If you read what you see not what you think you see , it doesn’t make sense .

So what exactly is it?

View attachment 9490

Quite simple, right?

View attachment 9491

The word "the" is shown twice. 🤣

Reactions: TheBear

So what exactly is it?

View attachment 9490

Quite simple, right?

View attachment 9491

I find it hard that people struggled with this, it was so simple

Reactions: TheBear
Long ago, when my wedding invitations were printed in embossed gold, they took 6 weeks from ordering to collection.
Then they were 2 weeks late....getting close to needing to send them out.
My Mum and I went to pick them up.
It was a large, well-known stationers company in Melbourne.
They asked for the remainder of the payment and just expected us to hand it over, take the package and leave.
My Mum said she wanted to check them first.
So we were frowned upon, but the box was opened and Mum and I read them.
Front page fine.
Inside.....exactly as the sign above...a
"the" at the end of one line and another "the" at the start of the next.
The shop lady said no-one would notice, so we asked for the manager.
He also said no-one would notice.
My Mum was beautiful, and just calmly said that they might not notice, but she was some-one, and did notice. She said we'd like them to be printed accurately, according to what had been ordered, and we want them by next week.
The manager just stood there, and said,
"Yes, Madam."
My Mum was furious, I can still hear her explode outside!

So what exactly is it?

View attachment 9490

Quite simple, right?

View attachment 9491

So what exactly is it?

View attachment 9490

Quite simple, right?

View attachment 9491

Source: TikTok/@houseofhighlight

The the you only need one the not two

So what exactly is it?

View attachment 9490

Quite simple, right?

View attachment 9491

I saw it straight away. SPOILER]