This woman reveals how much she spends at Coles than at the local fruit market

Times are tough right now, and here at the Seniors Discount Club, we are always looking to help our members save all the money they can.

So when we heard about the recent experience of one Brisbane woman, we knew that we just had to share it with you.

This woman recently decided to compare the prices of a weekly shop at Coles and the local fruit market, and the results will stun you.

In a video posted on social media, she said her small shop at Coles, which included two boxes of tea bags, two loaves of bread, a box of chicken kievs and lactose-free milk cost her around $45. But then, when she got to the fruit market, she got a much larger stack of fresh produce, all for only $26.36.

photo.jpg
A Brisbane woman compared her supermarket bill to a local fruit market. Credit: @ellyvickere/TikTok

‘Half of the amount of money I spent on those couple of items,’ she said of her supermarket purchase.

‘I used to think going to the farmer’s market or the little fruit shop would be expensive, but it’s insanely cheap.’

The woman also revealed in the video that she bought all the produce from Marsden Farmer’s Market.

Her video showed the items for sale on the market: $1.99/kg lemons, $3.99/kg truss tomatoes, $3.99 cucumbers, $2.50 sweet potatoes, $5.99 honey squeeze, $3 chives, and many more.

photo 1.jpg
The shopper shared she went to the Marsden Park Farmers Market. Credit: @ellyvickere/TikTok

It looks like she got a great deal!

Internet users think so, too. The price difference caused quite a stir, with over 42,000 people engaging with the video!

One comment said: ‘My shopping average went from $90 to $170 at Coles.’

‘I REFUSE to get my fruit and veg from Coles and Woolies now. Preach,’ a second one wrote.

‘Actually crazy to see so many options in my area,’ a third user stated.

Other shoppers shared their favourite local fruit markets, with one saying, ‘Marsden Park is good if you’re near the area! I have to mention, the ground level of Btown Westpoint fruit and veg is even cheaper, too!’

‘If you live in Melbourne, Dandenong Market is dope,’ a second person said.

‘There’s one like this at Helensvale Westfield’s as well,’ wrote another.

‘I’m a Southeast Queensland girl, and the Woodridge Markets on Sundays are AMAZING! Super cheap produce and delicious Asian cuisine!,’ Another shopper exclaimed.

But why does it cost so much more to shop at the supermarket?

Consumer Expert Gary Mortimer, it comes down to the supply chain. As the food moves from the farm to the store, the cost goes up–as do the costs associated with harvesting and transporting the produce, as well as operating large-scale retail stores.

Buying directly from a farmer ‘and cutting out the middle man’ can save people heaps on their food bill–especially when the independent retailer can take advantage of ‘opportunistic buying’, where they can get away with only having to buy two cases of certain produce.

Gary has some ‘simple’ ways to help you drastically reduce your food bill:
  • Do an inventory of your pantry and fridge before you leave home
  • Create a list and plan your shop
  • Consider farmer’s markets and street vendors
‘Shop across multiple brands or supermarkets and independents every week,’ he added.

You can watch the woman’s full video below:

Key Takeaways
  • A Brisbane woman has demonstrated on social media how changing shopping habits can save money, comparing prices at Coles to those of her local fruit and vegetable shop.
  • The woman’s supermarket bill totalled $45 for just a few items, while her Marsden Farmer’s Market bill was just $26.36 for a couple of fruits and vegetables.
  • Consumer Expert, Gary Mortimer, explains that costs linked to harvesting and transportation, as well as operating large-scale stores, contribute to the higher pricing in supermarkets.
  • Mortimer's tips for generating savings on your food bill include shopping across multiple brands or alternating weekly between supermarkets and independent retailers.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you also like to shop at your local fruit and vegetable market? Share your grocery tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
You cannot compare fresh vegetables from a market to other types of food from the stores. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

I did a cost comparison recently - I compared my local greengrocer with WW, taking the prices from their catalogue and buying from the greengrocer’s shop. The difference was less than $2, with WW coming out cheaper. I felt the quality was comparable.

Reactions: Observer
In Melbourne, Queen Victoria market is my go to for fresh produce. Because of the insane amount of competition, I have never found anywhere that even comes close price and quality wise.
Might want to consider whether or not it is still beneficial financially if you have to pay for fuel and maybe even parking just to get there. ???

Unfortunately where I live there is only one fruit and veg market ,,or rather a mini shop and it is horribly expensive,,thankfully we grow most of our own fruit and veg and freeze it but there is still things needed ,,when the hens are laying I buy from friends,,I need gluten free products and a loaf which is only 500 g is over $7 so it's an absolute must to freeze it,,,

We buy our Fruit and Vegetables from the Dandenong market. Their price absolutely put Coles and Woolworth to shame, and fresh, the products last long than any products bought from the two major supermarkets, and guess what, the apples aren't frozen. Never had a bad product from there yet, unlike the majors and can shop every 2 weeks, unless run out of course.

I never buy fresh produce at Coles unless it is a very good deal. Prefer to buy from Aldi as I do not have a market anywhere near me. Canstar found Aldi the best for fresh food and I can only agree. I aso now buy my crumpets from Aldi....$1.89...that is even less when the crumpets are on half price at Coles and Woolworths.
I have 3 tiny Aldi stores within 12 mins of me and there is little variety and rarely in good condition. I go to an independent grocer also near by

Times are tough right now, and here at the Seniors Discount Club, we are always looking to help our members save all the money they can.

So when we heard about the recent experience of one Brisbane woman, we knew that we just had to share it with you.

This woman recently decided to compare the prices of a weekly shop at Coles and the local fruit market, and the results will stun you.

In a video posted on social media, she said her small shop at Coles, which included two boxes of tea bags, two loaves of bread, a box of chicken kievs and lactose-free milk cost her around $45. But then, when she got to the fruit market, she got a much larger stack of fresh produce, all for only $26.36.

View attachment 28518
A Brisbane woman compared her supermarket bill to a local fruit market. Credit: @ellyvickere/TikTok

‘Half of the amount of money I spent on those couple of items,’ she said of her supermarket purchase.

‘I used to think going to the farmer’s market or the little fruit shop would be expensive, but it’s insanely cheap.’

The woman also revealed in the video that she bought all the produce from Marsden Farmer’s Market.

Her video showed the items for sale on the market: $1.99/kg lemons, $3.99/kg truss tomatoes, $3.99 cucumbers, $2.50 sweet potatoes, $5.99 honey squeeze, $3 chives, and many more.

View attachment 28517
The shopper shared she went to the Marsden Park Farmers Market. Credit: @ellyvickere/TikTok

It looks like she got a great deal!

Internet users think so, too. The price difference caused quite a stir, with over 42,000 people engaging with the video!

One comment said: ‘My shopping average went from $90 to $170 at Coles.’

‘I REFUSE to get my fruit and veg from Coles and Woolies now. Preach,’ a second one wrote.

‘Actually crazy to see so many options in my area,’ a third user stated.

Other shoppers shared their favourite local fruit markets, with one saying, ‘Marsden Park is good if you’re near the area! I have to mention, the ground level of Btown Westpoint fruit and veg is even cheaper, too!’

‘If you live in Melbourne, Dandenong Market is dope,’ a second person said.

‘There’s one like this at Helensvale Westfield’s as well,’ wrote another.

‘I’m a Southeast Queensland girl, and the Woodridge Markets on Sundays are AMAZING! Super cheap produce and delicious Asian cuisine!,’ Another shopper exclaimed.

But why does it cost so much more to shop at the supermarket?

Consumer Expert Gary Mortimer, it comes down to the supply chain. As the food moves from the farm to the store, the cost goes up–as do the costs associated with harvesting and transporting the produce, as well as operating large-scale retail stores.

Buying directly from a farmer ‘and cutting out the middle man’ can save people heaps on their food bill–especially when the independent retailer can take advantage of ‘opportunistic buying’, where they can get away with only having to buy two cases of certain produce.

Gary has some ‘simple’ ways to help you drastically reduce your food bill:
  • Do an inventory of your pantry and fridge before you leave home
  • Create a list and plan your shop
  • Consider farmer’s markets and street vendors
‘Shop across multiple brands or supermarkets and independents every week,’ he added.

You can watch the woman’s full video below:

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane woman has demonstrated on social media how changing shopping habits can save money, comparing prices at Coles to those of her local fruit and vegetable shop.
  • The woman’s supermarket bill totalled $45 for just a few items, while her Marsden Farmer’s Market bill was just $26.36 for a couple of fruits and vegetables.
  • Consumer Expert, Gary Mortimer, explains that costs linked to harvesting and transportation, as well as operating large-scale stores, contribute to the higher pricing in supermarkets.
  • Mortimer's tips for generating savings on your food bill include shopping across multiple brands or alternating weekly between supermarkets and independent retailers.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you also like to shop at your local fruit and vegetable market? Share your grocery tips in the comments below!

I buy my vegies from the local green grocer... cheaper and better quality... Anyone whe sets foot in a Coles or Woolworth needs their head read.