This tiny detail on Facebook Marketplace catches mum off guard: ‘This is so embarrassing’

Navigating the world of online buying and selling can often feel like walking through a digital minefield, especially on platforms like Facebook Marketplace, where peer-to-peer transactions are commonplace.

While many of us have embraced the convenience of finding bargains and selling unwanted items within our local communities, the risk of encountering a scammer is an unfortunate reality.

One mum's experience is a cautionary tale for all of us, particularly those who frequent online marketplaces.

As she sought to treat herself for her upcoming 30th birthday amidst undergoing radiation treatment, she fell victim to a scam that left her embarrassed and upset.

shutterstock_2095299124.jpg
A mum knew she was scammed on Facebook Marketplace with this tiny detail. Credit: Shutterstock

‘This is so embarrassing...but I think I've been scammed,’ the mum wrote.

‘I spent the last of my money and got myself a very early 30th birthday present…three Sol De Janeiro body mists from a seller located in the Sunshine Coast area of Queensland.’

She had requested a photo ID from the seller, which seemed to match the Pay ID name provided.

Confident in the seller's legitimacy, she transferred the money, only to realise later that she had been duped.

The seller vanished, along with her hard-earned money.

‘I'm so upset. I'm a single mother who can't look for work until four weeks after my treatments finish. I'd been wanting these scents for ages,’ she said.

One user pointed out the tiny detail that she missed: the seller's Facebook join date.

‘He joined Facebook in 2024—it’s a dead giveaway—it's a scam,’ they said.

Another user advised, 'I never ever buy from anyone who hasn’t been on Facebook for at least a few years. He joined this year. Immediate red flag to me that it’s a scammer.’

When it comes to payment methods, opinions vary.

Some prefer the old-fashioned way. ‘I only ever do cash when buying things on Marketplace. I don't trust Pay ID so I dont have it,’ one user said.

Another added: ‘PayPal is safer as anything Pay ID you won’t get back…I never do Pay ID unless they come to my house.’

The story does have a silver lining, though. In an act of kindness, a fellow social media user offered to send the mum some Sol Janeiro scents she had at home, asking only for the postage cost.

This gesture ensured that the mum would still receive her birthday treat, despite the unfortunate scam.

Tip
To be safe while using Facebook Marketplace, here are some additional safety tips drawn from Facebook's Safety Centre:
  • Always meet in a public, well-lit area for in-person transactions. Consider sharing your meeting plan with a friend or family member through a messaging service.
  • Avoid sharing personal information such as your home address or phone number in the listing. Only provide these details when they are necessary to complete the sale.
  • If something seems off, trust your instincts, cease communication, and report any suspected scams to Facebook immediately.
In a similar story, a woman was scammed on Facebook Marketplace and received random items instead of a TV.

The woman paid $550 for the TV, and the scam took place in broad daylight, which was caught on CCTV. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A mum was scammed on Facebook Marketplace while trying to buy body mists for her 30th birthday during a difficult time.
  • She believed the seller was legitimate after seeing a photo of his ID, but never received her items after paying.
  • Other users noticed that the seller's Facebook account was created in 2024, indicating it was a scam.
  • There was a positive outcome when a kind social media user offered to send the scammed mum some scents for just the cost of postage.
Have you ever experienced a strange or disappointing online shopping experience? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
So many people are being conned, tricked whatever you want to call it these days and it isn't just facebook marketplace. I am constantly receiving scam emails and even scammed phone calls.It is so easy to be conned nowadays as the scammers become more convincing as time goes on. I am so glad that this mum will get her perfume for her birthday and Bless the person who is sending them to her for postage costs only. People BE CAREFUL.

Has anyone bought tickets in Car for a cause, I have been hooked, tried to stop direct debit but no luck. Was told by ticket seller that I was helping vets, have since learnt they are registered business not a Charity only way out is to change cards, a pain in a se. You will see cars in shopping centres grossly overpriced Classics.

Reactions: Kevin. A. and janj
I tried selling a dining setting on Gumtree and I received 2 offers. But here's the catch. They wanted me to pay for shipping and re-imburse me. One even offered to pay $600 for shipping and I said, you might as well buy a new setting. It was a Scam. Same with the other buyer. You just have to be so careful with these scammers.

Scammers have few scruples and certainly no morals when it comes to who they scam. I think these scammers would rob their own grandmother if they could get away with it. There are ways of catching these scammers with the attached ID used to open the account. The government regulates that all financial accounts have a person's ID for tax and other government bodies like Centre link. In order to open up a bank account in Australia you are required by law to produce several forms of ID. If a scammer can open and close a bank account without a tracible ID attached to that account, then obviously the banks and other financial institutions are not doing their job correctly.

Has anyone bought tickets in Car for a cause, I have been hooked, tried to stop direct debit but no luck. Was told by ticket seller that I was helping vets, have since learnt they are registered business not a Charity only way out is to change cards, a pain in a se. You will see cars in shopping centres grossly overpriced Classics.
You should be able to go to your bank or other financial institution and stop the payments if you are not happy with the arraignment.

Reactions: Miss Chris
Whilst reading this I got sent an ad from Telstra telling me I was a winner. Sadly this site is not secure to stop these ads

Reactions: Kevin. A.