This talented mum made a gorgeous $5 Kmart dress for her daughter out of an unlikely material - you won't believe what it is!

Between the shopping, the decorating, and travel costs if you're going to visit family, it's no wonder so many of us go into debt over the holiday season.

That's why we here at the Seniors Discount Club are always on the lookout for ways to save money during this festive period... without skimping on quality or style!

And thanks to one very resourceful mum, we've just found one of the best tips yet.

Sharon stunned thousands recently after sharing photos of a beautiful homemade dress she made for her daughter using three Kmart tea towels. Talk about thrifty!

In her Facebook post, the mum explained that the outfit was her personal take on the Christmas dress for her daughter, writing: 'I have made a couple of dresses for my girls using Kmart tea towels before and they wash up well with the colours still un-faded after many washes.'

65112425-11488345-image-a-1_1669854514457.jpg

The stunning homemade garment a mother made for her daughter out of three $5 Kmart tea towels has amazed hundreds of people. Credit: Facebook.

The finished dress features beautiful flower designs in green and red, along with a lovely check pattern.

The Kmart tea towels that Sharon used for the project are called Poinsettia Berry Tea Towels and cost $5.00 for a three-pack.

They include one checked tea towel, one plain red tea towel, and one with red and green flowers. You can purchase these towels at any Kmart store nationwide.

The post has captured the attention of hundreds of users who praised the mum for the 'glorious' and 'beautiful' outfit.

'Fantastic idea, this looks fabulous,' one woman wrote in the comments.

Another said: 'Absolutely beautiful. You're so clever!'

'I would buy one from you Sharon,' a third added.

abe064ab-aeaf-4008-a607-4c3782498ecf.jpg

A packet of the Kmart tea towel set includes three tea towels with festive designs. Credit: Kmart.

It's not the first time someone has taken simple items from Kmart to create an impressive piece of clothing.

Just a few mere months ago, an artist from Australia created a magnificent dress from a whopping 11 tea towels from Kmart and it caused a lot of excitement among users on social media.

Selika Harris, a 37-year-old from Victoria currently living in Brisbane, got the idea to make the dress when she saw people on a sewing advice and inspiration Facebook group using tea towels to make bucket hats.

'I saw some people on the Australian sewing advice and inspiration Facebook page used this tea towel to make bucket hats so I was thinking I could make a dress from it as it's so pretty,' said Selika.

33457904-8757765-image-m-8_1600729929590.jpg

Selika crafted a one-off dress using 11 tea towels from Kmart. Credit: Instagram/@selika2904.

She also mentioned that she purchased the materials at Kmart, which is one of her favourite retailers.

'I went to Kmart to get something else and I grabbed seven tea towels as well before ordering more later.'

'I pretty much sewed two big pieces of three tea towels for the gathered skirt, back and front pieces. Then I sewed two pieces each for the bodice back and front, plus sleeves,' she said about the materials she used.

Key Takeaways

• A mother has made a stunning dress for her daughter from three Kmart tea towels, which cost just $5 in total.
  • The dress features green and red flowers, along with a pretty check pattern.
  • Sharon used the three-pack of Poinsettia Berry Tea Towels from Kmart.
  • Hundreds of people have praised Sharon for her clever design, with some even saying they would buy one from her.

It's clear to see that Kmart is the place to go whenever you want to try your hand at DIY fashion!

Are you excited to try making your own dresses from tea towels? Better yet, do you have additional sewing tips for those who are looking to start on the hobby? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
As an ex-dressmaker ( am too old to do it now) I used to buy offcuts of fabric on sale to make clothes for my children. Using the teatowels from K-Mart is a step up on that but such a wonderful idea. I have made in my time Fancy dress costumes from curtains on sale at our local treasure trove in fact Steampunk outfits & Crinolines look great in shiny satin or shot curtain fabrics.

Between the shopping, the decorating, and travel costs if you're going to visit family, it's no wonder so many of us go into debt over the holiday season.

That's why we here at the Seniors Discount Club are always on the lookout for ways to save money during this festive period... without skimping on quality or style!

And thanks to one very resourceful mum, we've just found one of the best tips yet.

Sharon stunned thousands recently after sharing photos of a beautiful homemade dress she made for her daughter using three Kmart tea towels. Talk about thrifty!

In her Facebook post, the mum explained that the outfit was her personal take on the Christmas dress for her daughter, writing: 'I have made a couple of dresses for my girls using Kmart tea towels before and they wash up well with the colours still un-faded after many washes.'

The stunning homemade garment a mother made for her daughter out of three $5 Kmart tea towels has amazed hundreds of people. Credit: Facebook.

The finished dress features beautiful flower designs in green and red, along with a lovely check pattern.

The Kmart tea towels that Sharon used for the project are called Poinsettia Berry Tea Towels and cost $5.00 for a three-pack.

They include one checked tea towel, one plain red tea towel, and one with red and green flowers. You can purchase these towels at any Kmart store nationwide.

The post has captured the attention of hundreds of users who praised the mum for the 'glorious' and 'beautiful' outfit.

A packet of the Kmart tea towel set includes three tea towels with festive designs. Credit: Kmart.

It's not the first time someone has taken simple items from Kmart to create an impressive piece of clothing.

Just a few mere months ago, an artist from Australia created a magnificent dress from a whopping 11 tea towels from Kmart and it caused a lot of excitement among users on social media.

Selika Harris, a 37-year-old from Victoria currently living in Brisbane, got the idea to make the dress when she saw people on a sewing advice and inspiration Facebook group using tea towels to make bucket hats.

'I saw some people on the Australian sewing advice and inspiration Facebook page used this tea towel to make bucket hats so I was thinking I could make a dress from it as it's so pretty,' said Selika.

Selika crafted a one-off dress using 11 tea towels from Kmart. Credit: Instagram/@selika2904.

She also mentioned that she purchased the materials at Kmart, which is one of her favourite retailers.

'I went to Kmart to get something else and I grabbed seven tea towels as well before ordering more later.'

'I pretty much sewed two big pieces of three tea towels for the gathered skirt, back and front pieces. Then I sewed two pieces each for the bodice back and front, plus sleeves,' she said about the materials she used.

Key Takeaways

• A mother has made a stunning dress for her daughter from three Kmart tea towels, which cost just $5 in total.
  • Hundreds of people have praised Sharon for her clever design, with some even saying they would buy one from her.

It's clear to see that Kmart is the place to go whenever you want to try your hand at DIY fashion!

Are you excited to try making your own dresses from tea towels? Better yet, do you have additional sewing tips for those who are looking to start on the hobby? Share them with us in the comments below!
Some people are just so darn clever. I’m jealous of their creativity.

Some people are just so darn clever. I’m jealous of their creativity.
At my advanced age, I am seriously disappointed that none of the family ever wanted to learn to sew. I knew at age 7 I wanted to be a dressmaker. I worked hard at school & earned a scholarship to Barrett St. Tech. Now The London School of Fashion. Once my 2 years were up I secured a position at Norman Hartnell who was then the Queen's dressmaker after a couple of years there I changed to a smaller tailoring firm for more experience. Once I was engaged I quit London altogether for a job nearer home. I worked at the Rodex coat factory in St. Albans doing designing & hand finishing. Once I got married I changed to Window dressing & alterations in a dress shop near my home.

Key Takeaways

Wow
At my advanced age, I am seriously disappointed that none of the family ever wanted to learn to sew. I knew at age 7 I wanted to be a dressmaker. I worked hard at school & earned a scholarship to Barrett St. Tech. Now The London School of Fashion. Once my 2 years were up I secured a position at Norman Hartnell who was then the Queen's dressmaker after a couple of years there I changed to a smaller tailoring firm for more experience. Once I was engaged I quit London altogether for a job nearer home. I worked at the Rodex coat factory in St. Albans doing designing & hand finishing. Once I got married I changed to Window dressing & alterations in a dress shop near my home.
wow you are so talented!! Love it

Reactions: ShannyN and Ricci
I think this is a brilliant and alternative idea, but I need a pattern to make a dress, maybe this Mum should put lessons on U-tube.

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
I can remember years ago we used to donate pillow cases to be made into shift dresses for little ones in Africa. You fold them lengthways, open end makes the bottom and you cut the top corners off to make the arm holes. You then open it out again having marked the middle top and having the envelope fold upwards lay it flat and cut out a hole for the head to go through. All that remains to be done is to hem the head and arm holes then using a contrast material or oddment of lace or embroidery anglaise sewn across the front to hold and close the envelope fold. Simple.

I started making clothes for my children many yrs ago when I got addicted to Baby Shows and now make them for my grandchildren. I made dresses for my twin granddaughters out of scarves for Australia Day with matching bloomers, hats and booties. The dresses and bloomers were made big enough that as they grew the dress became tops and the bloomers turned into shorts. They wore them from 2009 - 2012 before the outfits got too small for them. I've made everything from swim wear to a formal dress. Not bad for someone who failed dress making at high school.

Key Takeaways

Absolutely gorgeous! Such a lucky girl to know how to sew! All should be taught this during art! It is vital that sewing is taught in schools again, along with Domestic Science so our young one learn how to survive in our changing world. That includes boys as well as girls ++

Just no social media back then to show people what a shame we just didn't even have computers
Didn't need social media never have . Back before the internet girls (mainly) were taught by their family, mothers or grandmothers how to sew, use scraps to make nice stuff and learn skills.
Then they passed it on to their girls or boys. I'm 66 and was taught the basics of hand sewing so when I moved out of home and roamed the country looking and working all over, I could fix, mend clothes, sew wounds etc.

Today that's all disappeared cause google fixes all . It doesn't, people still need hand holding in many of the manual arts.

Reactions: Ricci