This 'sneaky tactic’ by Coles outrages shoppers: ‘They are not making enough money’

In the bustling aisles of our local supermarkets, we expect to find quality products that match the value of our hard-earned dollars.

However, a recent incident at Coles left customers questioning the integrity of their purchases and the transparency of the retail giant's practices.

A disgruntled Coles customer voiced his frustration on social media over what he claims to be a deceptive practice by the supermarket chain.

'Brought this from Cessnock Coles the other day, and apparently they aren't making enough money from us that we are now getting reconstituted meat that's glued together Instead of what's labelled not happy Jan,' he wrote on a post.

The shopper's ire was directed at a pack of beef he purchased for $9.

compressed-coles meat.jpeg
An unsatisfied Coles customer shared thinly sliced oyster blade steaks that look like reconstituted meat. Image Credit: Facebook/Cessnock Community Noticeboard

Despite the packaging's assurance that the beef was 'always sourced from Australian farms', the shopper felt cheated, suggesting that Coles resorted to selling inferior meat products.

Reconstituted meat, also known as meat glue, is typically made by binding smaller pieces to create a seemingly whole piece.

While it can contain fewer fats and pigments, it's not what one would anticipate when purchasing a steak or a roast.

The post quickly sparked a debate within the community.

'You paid for a c*** cut of steak, and you got a c*** cut of steak... a lesser quality cut of beef,' one wrote.

'It's not glued. It's fat in the meat. It would be way more expensive to glue the meat together to the process line and do this than to sell it how it's cut,' another said.

'Instead of complaining on Facebook, why didn't you take the meat back to Coles?' a third asked.

A fourth suggested, 'Support local. Go to the butcher shop and this will be avoided.'

In the face of such controversy, it's essential to consider the broader implications of this incident for the community.

Consumers must be vigilant about where they shop and the quality of the products they bring into their homes.

Coles has responded to the backlash by reiterating its commitment to customer satisfaction and high-quality produce.

'We never add any binding ingredients to our fresh beef steaks. This pack of meat is not to our high-quality standards and should have been identified and graded out at production,' a Coles spokesperson shared.

'As always, we encourage customers to return any item they're not 100 per cent happy with to their nearest store for a full refund or replacement.'
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer accused the supermarket of selling reconstituted meat at their Cessnock store.
  • The shopper expressed his dissatisfaction on social media and shared a photo of beef steaks with large holes.
  • Social media users had mixed reactions, with some defending the supermarket and suggesting that the meat was not glued but a lower-quality cut.
  • In response to the complaint, Coles stated that they do not add binding ingredients to their fresh beef steaks and encouraged customers to return any unsatisfactory items for a refund or replacement.
Have you encountered similar issues with supermarket produce? Please share your stories and thoughts with us in the comments section!

Sponsored
Why would you even reiterate such a crass reply? There is no need to use that swear word when giving your opinion on a piece of meat. I was hoping for much better editing from this site. Elizabeth and Drusnat were much more eloquent and got the message through. Shame

Why would you even reiterate such a crass reply? There is no need to use that swear word when giving your opinion on a piece of meat. I was hoping for much better editing from this site. Elizabeth and Drusnat were much more eloquent and got the message through. Shame
Totally agree. There seems to be a bit of the negativity and rudeness coming through lately unfortunately. Post your comments but be respectful please.

Omg seriously do we live in a world of idiots who think social media will fix things?? Seriously this man needs his head read! Do we really need sympathy votes that badly or reassurance that we seek it from TOTAL STRANGERS?? GEEZ PEOPLE WAKE UP!!!!

What quality of meat would anyone expect for $9:? It's oyster blade, a cheap cut of meat, from the shoulder blade, with a tough, long line of connective tissue running through the middle, which can resemble an oyster, which is how it got its name. It comes from a very well-exercised part of the animal, it will be tough if it’s not cooked correctly

Chuck it in the slow cooker and you’ll be surprised how tender it will cook up. I buy chuck steak and gravy beef and slow cook them both, they are so nice and tender when cooked this way. Makes a lovely stew, stroganoff etc.

I would have returned so called meat to shop where I bought it. It’s quite ironic, when one sees the Cole’s ads & Woolworths, I often state to my husband, never seen that shop where we live, being regional it seems that all the rubbish veges and meat are sent to us and not the capital cities.
I do not buy meat and rarely chicken from the large supermarkets.
I support the local butcher, whom I might add, has excellent meat and chicken, yes sometimes dearer but as the old saying goes, only get what you pay for.
Supporting our locals is more important than supporting over priced and profit making businesses and for the CEOs to live high on the hog.

Last edited:
Reactions: maherdj and Glucose
We buy our meat in bulk from a good butcher 4 times a year then get home, split it into packs, vacuum seal & freeze. We have been doing this & saving $$$ for years.

Omg seriously do we live in a world of idiots who think social media will fix things?? Seriously this man needs his head read! Do we really need sympathy votes that badly or reassurance that we seek it from TOTAL STRANGERS?? GEEZ PEOPLE WAKE UP!!!!
I think, that's a bit unfair, maybe he has no one else to vent frustration with. Also maybe just giving everyone heads up.
Why is he being called an idiot? None of us know what situation we will be in, in the future. Maybe a little empathy, might be nice

I think, that's a bit unfair, maybe he has no one else to vent frustration with. Also maybe just giving everyone heads up.
Why is he being called an idiot? None of us know what situation we will be in, in the future. Maybe a little empathy, might be nice
I was thinking same, he may have been elderly and only gets to the shops infrequently, may not have much money over once rent and bills paid. It’s so easy to judge when circumstances aren’t two fold.
None of us know what goes on in other peoples lives, so yes some empathy may have been necessary with his story.
And may just wanted others to know what the quality of meat looked like, which was quite awful.

I was thinking same, he may have been elderly and only gets to the shops infrequently, may not have much money over once rent and bills paid. It’s so easy to judge when circumstances aren’t two fold.
None of us know what goes on in other peoples lives, so yes some empathy may have been necessary with his story.
And may just wanted others to know what the quality of meat looked like, which was quite awful.
Looked good to me I love marbled steak👍

Reactions: Macarj
You get what you pay for. That thinly sliced meat would only be good if you were making a stir fry.
We have paid for meat at coles snd got little cuts in pur meat
You pay for meat thats suppose to be great. But it was terrible. Took photos and sent but got no response back from them. And to go to butcher shops is way to pricey for some.

Reactions: SandyM
Go to your local butcher, you'll pay more but feel much better.That meat looks like it's been boned out.
I'm with you.
I go to the local butcher once a month. If I want 2 pieces, I buy 2. If I want them to cut out bone, they cut. The Xmas ham was yummo, and, because there are only 2 of us, they made sure it was affordable.
I do pay a little more, however, I only buy what we need.