This simple photo taken at a supermarket checkout ignited a massive debate—see why it's causing such an uproar!

A single photograph can evoke nostalgia, stir emotions, and even spark a heated debate, as evidenced by a recent online uproar among Australians.

The image in question, a throwback to a Coles supermarket in the 1980s in Belmont, New South Wales, has become the centre of a contentious discussion about the changing face of grocery shopping and customer service.

The photo, shared in a Facebook group dedicated to Australian retail nostalgia, captured a time when full-service checkouts were the norm, with rows of cashiers attending to customers' needs.

It was sourced from the State Library of Victoria and dated sometime between 1980 and 1989, showing a bustling grocery scene with each register operated by a neatly dressed cashier—a sight that has become increasingly rare in today's supermarkets.

FL16519494.jpg
A photo of a Coles full-service checkout sparked a debate online. Credit: State Library of Victoria

The rise of self-service checkouts, which began to appear nearly a decade ago, has been met with mixed reactions from the public.

While some shoppers appreciate the convenience and speed of scanning their items, others lament the loss of personal interaction, the perceived decline in customer service, and retail jobs lost by Aussies to machines.

The photograph from Coles has reignited this debate, with many Australians expressing a longing for the 'good old days' of old-fashioned service.

‘That’s a very rare sight these days. I hardly ever see a register open anymore,’ one social media user wrote.

‘How it should be at every checkout!’ another said.

Some advocated for a revival of ‘old-fashioned customer service’ and a return to the ‘good old days’, with one person describing the image as ‘a dream’, showcasing ‘so many registers opened with neatly dressed cashiers at each one’.

Several admitted to disliking self-service checkouts, emphasising their preference for human interaction during their shopping experience.

Yet, some highlighted various reasons beyond the rise of self-serve checkouts for the rarity of such scenes in modern times.

Commenters on the photo pointed out that supermarkets had more compact trading hours, typically around 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and were closed on Sundays.

This meant that during peak times, stores were busier, necessitating a full complement of staffed checkouts. One user also was quick to stress that at the time, Coles faced less competition in Belmont, with no Woolworths or ALDI stores to contend with.

Some have even suggested that the photo may have been a promotional shot, explaining the unusually high number of open registers.

On the other hand, some people have defended the introduction of self-service checkouts, citing benefits such as reduced wait times and greater accessibility for those with mobility issues.

‘I love self-service checkouts; so much quicker and easier than waiting in line for someone to scan the items,’ one user commented.

‘I prefer self-service because I have mobility problems, and I want to be in and out as I can’t stand for too long. I also find checkouts are prone to more mistakes than self-service,’ another shared.

The debate extends beyond Australian shores, with international customers also voicing their dissatisfaction with self-service registers.

In response to customer feedback, some retailers, such as Walmart in the US and Booths in the UK, have begun removing self-checkout systems due to complaints about their impersonal nature and unreliability.

Despite the backlash, major Australian supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths have not indicated any plans to reverse the trend towards self-service, citing popular demand.

Instead, they have implemented new security features to combat the rising rate of thefts in self-service areas, including automatic gates, surveillance cameras, and trolley lock technology.

Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci has also addressed concerns that self-service checkouts are reducing job opportunities, asserting that the company employs more people than ever.

‘Self-service check-outs and the perception that this results in a reduction in team members in-store is a passionate dinner table topic in our house,’ Mr Banducci said.

‘The fact is, we employ more people than ever before and, with the popularity of online ordering, this year we’ve hired 5,500 Personal Shoppers, so there are more jobs at Woolies, not less,’ he added.

As we reflect on this snapshot from the past, it's clear that the conversation about the future of retail service is far from over.

Whether you're a fan of self-service convenience or a staunch supporter of the full-service experience, one thing is certain: the way we shop continues to evolve, and with it, our expectations of what it means to be a customer.

Key Takeaways
  • A historical photo of a Coles store with multiple manned checkouts open sparked a debate regarding increasing self-service checkouts.
  • Some Aussies expressed nostalgia for the 'good old days' of customer service and called for a return to more manned registers, while others preferred self-service due to convenience and personal challenges such as mobility issues.
  • The debate reflects wider sentiments, with some overseas retailers removing self-checkouts due to customer complaints about their impersonal nature and unreliability.
  • Despite the backlash, major Australian retailers like Coles and Woolworths are enhancing security measures at self-service checkouts rather than removing them, and Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci claimed that technology has not led to fewer jobs but rather more employment opportunities within the company.

Members, what's your take on self-service checkouts? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I 99% of the time use the manned checkouts as I hate the self service ones. I used to work in supermarkets for many years and you just can't beat the personal touch. After reading about the good Samaritans helping that lady who was stressed when her bill came to $100 and people around her helped, you wouldn't get a self service checkout doing that

A single photograph can evoke nostalgia, stir emotions, and even spark a heated debate, as evidenced by a recent online uproar among Australians.

The image in question, a throwback to a Coles supermarket in the 1980s in Belmont, New South Wales, has become the centre of a contentious discussion about the changing face of grocery shopping and customer service.

The photo, shared in a Facebook group dedicated to Australian retail nostalgia, captured a time when full-service checkouts were the norm, with rows of cashiers attending to customers' needs.

It was sourced from the State Library of Victoria and dated sometime between 1980 and 1989, showing a bustling grocery scene with each register operated by a neatly dressed cashier—a sight that has become increasingly rare in today's supermarkets.

View attachment 37836
A photo of a Coles full-service checkout sparked a debate online. Credit: State Library of Victoria

The rise of self-service checkouts, which began to appear nearly a decade ago, has been met with mixed reactions from the public.

While some shoppers appreciate the convenience and speed of scanning their items, others lament the loss of personal interaction, the perceived decline in customer service, and retail jobs lost by Aussies to machines.

The photograph from Coles has reignited this debate, with many Australians expressing a longing for the 'good old days' of old-fashioned service.

‘That’s a very rare sight these days. I hardly ever see a register open anymore,’ one social media user wrote.

Some advocated for a revival of ‘old-fashioned customer service’ and a return to the ‘good old days’, with one person describing the image as ‘a dream’, showcasing ‘so many registers opened with neatly dressed cashiers at each one’.

Several admitted to disliking self-service checkouts, emphasising their preference for human interaction during their shopping experience.

Yet, some highlighted various reasons beyond the rise of self-serve checkouts for the rarity of such scenes in modern times.

Commenters on the photo pointed out that supermarkets had more compact trading hours, typically around 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and were closed on Sundays.

This meant that during peak times, stores were busier, necessitating a full complement of staffed checkouts. One user also was quick to stress that at the time, Coles faced less competition in Belmont, with no Woolworths or ALDI stores to contend with.

Some have even suggested that the photo may have been a promotional shot, explaining the unusually high number of open registers.

On the other hand, some people have defended the introduction of self-service checkouts, citing benefits such as reduced wait times and greater accessibility for those with mobility issues.

‘I love self-service checkouts; so much quicker and easier than waiting in line for someone to scan the items,’ one user commented.

‘I prefer self-service because I have mobility problems, and I want to be in and out as I can’t stand for too long. I also find checkouts are prone to more mistakes than self-service,’ another shared.

The debate extends beyond Australian shores, with international customers also voicing their dissatisfaction with self-service registers.

In response to customer feedback, some retailers, such as Walmart in the US and Booths in the UK, have begun removing self-checkout systems due to complaints about their impersonal nature and unreliability.

Despite the backlash, major Australian supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths have not indicated any plans to reverse the trend towards self-service, citing popular demand.

Instead, they have implemented new security features to combat the rising rate of thefts in self-service areas, including automatic gates, surveillance cameras, and trolley lock technology.

Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci has also addressed concerns that self-service checkouts are reducing job opportunities, asserting that the company employs more people than ever.

‘Self-service check-outs and the perception that this results in a reduction in team members in-store is a passionate dinner table topic in our house,’ Mr Banducci said.

‘The fact is, we employ more people than ever before and, with the popularity of online ordering, this year we’ve hired 5,500 Personal Shoppers, so there are more jobs at Woolies, not less,’ he added.

As we reflect on this snapshot from the past, it's clear that the conversation about the future of retail service is far from over.

Whether you're a fan of self-service convenience or a staunch supporter of the full-service experience, one thing is certain: the way we shop continues to evolve, and with it, our expectations of what it means to be a customer.

Key Takeaways

• A historical photo of a Coles store with multiple manned checkouts open sparked a debate regarding increasing self-service checkouts.
  • Some Aussies expressed nostalgia for the 'good old days' of customer service and called for a return to more manned registers, while others preferred self-service due to convenience and personal challenges such as mobility issues.
  • The debate reflects wider sentiments, with some overseas retailers removing self-checkouts due to customer complaints about their impersonal nature and unreliability.
  • Despite the backlash, major Australian retailers like Coles and Woolworths are enhancing security measures at self-service checkouts rather than removing them, and Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci claimed that technology has not led to fewer jobs but rather more employment opportunities within the company.

Members, what's your take on self-service checkouts? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
I don't mind a self checkout occasionally for a small order. Not for a large trolley of groceries! And it's frustrating when the thing doesn't work properly. Yesterday, in Aldi, it displayed the ''Service person required'' message 4 times in a purchase of just 5 items. It took ages for someone to come to help. If stores want us to use these horrid devices, they should make sure they are reliable, easy to operate, and there is help readily available when needed, without causing delays. Some stores have assistants hovering close by at all times, and they SHOULD. The Aldi I visited yesterday had no help dedicated to the self-checkout area so people had to wait for one of the cashiers to finish with their current customer, then keep all those in line waiting while they stepped away to the self-cashout area to fix a problem. Not good enough!

Reactions: Ezzy and Mr Chips

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

It's a shame that these robotic machines have replaced humans when it comes to service in these supermarkets.....gone are the days of friendly service at the manned checkout counters. It must be so hard for elderly customers who are struggling with self serve checkouts and most times there are very few serving checkouts open ! 🤫😏

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

Well to the one's that use self-serve checkouts do you get a discount for doing someone's job, no do you cost people job's, yes and don't believe it doesn't it does obviously you people don't like personal contact with human beings so sad that you can't say hello to someone doing their job and feeding their family 🙄

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

Let's see that in writing..... a direct comparison year on year not including new stores.

I was in Aldi in Northam on Monday,
packing my groceries when I heard a bit of a kerfuffle at one of the checkouts.
It turned out that a young intellectually disabled.chap was 15cents short for his groceries.
The stupid cashier didn't seem to know what to do. People were grumping and groaning about being held up. Not one of them bothered to offer a lousy 15cents to help out.
The poor guy was getting quite upset.
I went over to the checkout and paid it for him and he started to cry.
To the people in that queue I would like to say "Merry Xmas and what the bloody hell is wrong with you all,"
You should be ashamed of yourselves, a lousy 15cents, for heaven's sake.

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

All supermarkets are making billions in profit, even more now that they get us to shop, serve ourselves, pack our own goods and give them more money with less employment. Aldi is slightly better.

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

5500 Personal Shoppers, are they fulltime or part time / casual positions ? Are they additional team members or replacing employees retrenched and or positions no longer deemed necessary ?

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

WHY do we have to fight for service in many fields the young ones have not been taught Manners Patience and Respect. So this leads to rudness,and disrespect 😤 it is not there fault blame the Parents, example when a child is born they are thrown into daycare and after school care. So Dad can play the pokies mum can go to the gym it goes on and on Youth Crime no Respect for Police or property no one at home.

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

I use the self service checkout as little as possible as I don't want to put an employee out of work and I don't feel like I have to do their job as there's no discount on groceries for doing it.
Checkout operators use to be student jobs over the hoilday break and many have lost the opportunity of filling that roll.

Goodness me! What a hullabaloo about self-serve checkouts!! Yes, they often go into a sort of ‘sleep mode’ when there is a hiccup with automation. Do any of you accept that it is perhaps just you that is causing what you call a loss of jobs because of these machines? Lazy people, (or those for whatever medical or age-related reason) who do not or (due to incapacity) cannot make it to a shop, are the reason there is a so-called loss of jobs. BUT THERE ISN’T.

Who do you think selects and packs your on-line orders? Staff ARE behind the scenes doing your job selecting your groceries for you, packing your on-line order, then waiting around in the background for you to rock up in your car, at your convenience, to pick up your order.

We just have to get used to technology, automation and advancement in our lives. How did we advance from the 50s, 60’s and into the 80’s without technology?? When we did not have this technology did we get on Facebook, TikTok, etc and whinge? No, we didn’t and couldn’t because we didn’t have the technology. So, try and get over it and accept that everything, especially technology, is constantly advancing and at a rapid - very, very rapid - pace. These are not the only things that are advancing. If you cannot accept that, then you can stay back in the 50s.

I’m sorry to rant here, but it is getting ridiculous that we hear about technology so much and fail to acknowledge what it was like back in the 50s, 60s etc. and how we did things then. Even I am trying to accept change but I do not whinge about it all the time - I try to sort through the changes.

It turned out that a young intellectually disabled.chap was 15cents short for his groceries.
The stupid cashier didn't seem to know what to do. People were grumping and groaning about being held up. Not one of them bothered to offer a lousy 15cents to help out.
To the people in that queue I would like to say "Merry Xmas and what the bloody hell is wrong with you all,"
You're a good person.
What the hell is wrong with Aldi?
I worked in a small private supermarket when I was young. I had a soft spot for little kids and sometimes gave them a Freddo frog. I was chastised by the father of the owner for giving away stock.
When his son heard, the man who actually owned the business, he said Dad, leave her alone, that's why the customers keep coming back.

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

I am not employed by Coles (or Woolworths) to work as a checkout operator and therefore on principle I will NEVER use the self checkout facilities in these stores. Even if I have less than 6 items in my trolly, I will stand in line and wait for a checkout operator to be available. If, say a 10% discount was given to use self checkout facilities I would still use the store operator checkouts because that creates local jobs.

View attachment 37836

Key Takeaways

Sorry but nothing about life today is about service, it's a corporate dirty word imo.

Reactions: Mr Chips and Senor
Goodness me! What a hullabaloo about self-serve checkouts!! Yes, they often go into a sort of ‘sleep mode’ when there is a hiccup with automation. Do any of you accept that it is perhaps just you that is causing what you call a loss of jobs because of these machines? Lazy people, (or those for whatever medical or age-related reason) who do not or (due to incapacity) cannot make it to a shop, are the reason there is a so-called loss of jobs. BUT THERE ISN’T.

Who do you think selects and packs your on-line orders? Staff ARE behind the scenes doing your job selecting your groceries for you, packing your on-line order, then waiting around in the background for you to rock up in your car, at your convenience, to pick up your order.

We just have to get used to technology, automation and advancement in our lives. How did we advance from the 50s, 60’s and into the 80’s without technology?? When we did not have this technology did we get on Facebook, TikTok, etc and whinge? No, we didn’t and couldn’t because we didn’t have the technology. So, try and get over it and accept that everything, especially technology, is constantly advancing and at a rapid - very, very rapid - pace. These are not the only things that are advancing. If you cannot accept that, then you can stay back in the 50s.

I’m sorry to rant here, but it is getting ridiculous that we hear about technology so much and fail to acknowledge what it was like back in the 50s, 60s etc. and how we did things then. Even I am trying to accept change but I do not whinge about it all the time - I try to sort through the changes.
And yet still found time for one of the longest whinges here on the subject of whinging.

Well done. Although I am an aged pensioner, I would have willingly Paid 15 cents to help out this poor chap.