This simple parking mistake cost a driver $283: ‘That’s kind of dangerous’

Parking woes are a common suburban battle, with tensions often running high between neighbours over the use of shared spaces and street etiquette.

In a recent incident that has sparked debate among Australians, a woman took to social media to vent her frustration over her neighbour's parking habits, which led to a costly consequence for the vehicle owner.

The woman, fed up with what she described as an 'obnoxious bloke' and his 'over loud, oversized vehicle,' shared her story of 'petty' revenge.

The neighbour's large ute was reportedly parked so that its tray protruded onto the footpath, partially blocking it.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 12.04.40 PM.jpeg
A woman shared her story of ‘petty’ revenge over a driver’s parking habit. Credit: Facebook

While the vehicle was parked within the confines of the driveway, this manner of parking is not only inconsiderate but also illegal, attracting a hefty fine of $283, which can vary depending on the council area.

‘This noise-polluting monstrosity should be banned,’ she said. ‘Or at least parked on the street (preferably not ours).’

Taking matters into her own hands, she reported the parking violation to the Northern Beaches Council, an action she acknowledged as petty but felt was necessary to address the 'grubby' behaviour.

The council's regulations are clear: residents must not park in or across a driveway, even their own, to ensure pedestrian safety and access.

The minimum penalty for such an infraction is $283, as stated on the council's website.

‘Ensure your car is within the front boundary of the property or parked safely in the street,’ the guidelines said.

After the incident was reported through the Snap, Snap, Solve app, the council confirmed that the driver was indeed fined.

Although council officers have since patrolled the area and found no repeated instances, the woman was dismayed to see the ute still parked in the driveway, leading her to question the council's commitment to resolving the issue.

‘Vengeance is sadly not mine,’ she joked.

‘Today, I received an email from the council saying the matter has been resolved. Do council not care, or is this an insufficient crime for any action to be taken?’ she asked.

The community's reaction to the incident has been mixed.

Some locals support the fine, citing the dangers posed to pedestrians.

‘I’m surprised he doesn’t get booked as he is blocking the footpath for prams and wheelchairs,’ one person said.

‘That’s kind of dangerous. Plus disabled or kids on bikes could slam into it,’ another shared.

Others, however, feel the complaint was unwarranted and suggest that the woman should focus on her own business rather than policing her neighbour's parking.

‘You sound like one of those neighbours that sticks their noses into other people's business," one said.

‘Car park is sh*te, but it doesn’t seem like it’s affecting you. Take a deep breath and stop working yourself up over things that really don’t matter,’ another said.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney resident was frustrated with her neighbour's parking habits, leading to her reporting him to the Northern Beaches Council.
  • The neighbour's vehicle was parked in such a way that it was partially blocking the footpath, which is illegal and subject to a $283 fine.
  • After being reported, the council confirmed that the driver was fined, and they have since patrolled the area to prevent further instances.
  • The action has divided locals, with some supporting the fine for illegal parking, while others see the reporting as petty and suggest minding one's own business.
Have you ever encountered similar parking issues in your neighbourhood? Do you think the woman's actions were justified, or was it an overreaction? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Some council areas turn a blind eye to parking, for example Manly area in Sydney, vehicles are parked near intersections, across driveways, footpaths and have done for decades.

• Wow
Reactions: Dynamo
The person should not park such to obstruct the footpath - the footpath is not for the car- and the decible limit is 80db - we had one in our neighbourhood with 100db and kept waking people up at 5am - after repeated requests this bloke kept on doing same - police were notified and this bloke was made to change car db exhaust

I new a older woman that was so petty that she would not let anyone park on the street in front of her house, she would create a scene you would never forget.
This same woman would rake up any leafs from council trees that were on her property, bag them and take them to the council office and leave them at the front desk.
now that’s petty.

let me tell you, people parking or obstructing footpaths is very frustrating, especially when you use a gopher or wheelchair - you have to backtrack to find a way to get off the footpath to use the road (which can be dangerous) to get round the offending vehicle. When it happens to me i always report it, with a photo attached, and a please explain request to the local council.

The guy was fined and now,as she says, he parks it on his own property, and she stills continues to complain.
There's no pleasing some people.
He always did park on his property but is still hanging over the path as in the picture so he is still in the wrong and she is pointing out that the council has not resolved anything.

Council rules state that the footpath should not be obstructed . He is in the wrong for parking the way he does. In our Council….a resident received a parking ticket because he was “too close to the road”. YES…. that’s right! He parked his car about 6 inches out from the gutter. And also a lot of cars in our council get fined if they park 2 wheels up on the gutter. Streets today are so very narrow. Cars have been given parking tickets at rediculous hours like 11pm, 2am, 3am etc. 😲😮🫤
This is just revenue making. I thought Councils only worked office hours.

Doing battle with neighbors over something that does not adversely effect her is not wise. Where I live, we all work together for a happy neighborhood. When a neighbor goes away, we all look after their place. We even park in the absentee's driveway when a house is unattended to make it look like someone is home.

I new a older woman that was so petty that she would not let anyone park on the street in front of her house, she would create a scene you would never forget.
This same woman would rake up any leafs from council trees that were on her property, bag them and take them to the council office and leave them at the front desk.
now that’s petty.
Not in agreement in regard to the parking. Street parking is available to all.

As for the leaves, well Councils do not allow people to plant or request the planting of particular trees. It (Council) chooses them and plants them so it owns them 😉.

The woman could be seen as complying with Council's ownership by ensuring the owner's continuing possession.

Council rules state that the footpath should not be obstructed . He is in the wrong for parking the way he does. In our Council….a resident received a parking ticket because he was “too close to the road”. YES…. that’s right! He parked his car about 6 inches out from the gutter. And also a lot of cars in our council get fined if they park 2 wheels up on the gutter. Streets today are so very narrow. Cars have been given parking tickets at rediculous hours like 11pm, 2am, 3am etc. 😲😮🫤
This is just revenue making. I thought Councils only worked office hours.
Now 6 inches from the gutter and 2 wheels on the gutter in narrow streets is petty.

This weeks first Karen complaint. Who can top this?

The use of a woman's name to indicate unreasonable/absurd/foolish/arbitrary or entitled/excessively demanding behaviour is offensive.

That was my mother's name, an amazing woman now gone but never forgotten and whose name is often mentioned by people who benefited from her many kindnesses.

Would referring to such unreasonable people as David sit well?

Doing battle with neighbors over something that does not adversely effect her is not wise. Where I live, we all work together for a happy neighborhood. When a neighbor goes away, we all look after their place. We even park in the absentee's driveway when a house is unattended to make it look like someone is home.
That is the best way.

I lived in a street like that for 20 years.

Unfortunately, not all residents want to be neighbourly and you only find that out after you have relocated.

Reactions: PattiB and Jennie