This simple parking mistake cost a driver $283: ‘That’s kind of dangerous’

Parking woes are a common suburban battle, with tensions often running high between neighbours over the use of shared spaces and street etiquette.

In a recent incident that has sparked debate among Australians, a woman took to social media to vent her frustration over her neighbour's parking habits, which led to a costly consequence for the vehicle owner.

The woman, fed up with what she described as an 'obnoxious bloke' and his 'over loud, oversized vehicle,' shared her story of 'petty' revenge.

The neighbour's large ute was reportedly parked so that its tray protruded onto the footpath, partially blocking it.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 12.04.40 PM.jpeg
A woman shared her story of ‘petty’ revenge over a driver’s parking habit. Credit: Facebook

While the vehicle was parked within the confines of the driveway, this manner of parking is not only inconsiderate but also illegal, attracting a hefty fine of $283, which can vary depending on the council area.

‘This noise-polluting monstrosity should be banned,’ she said. ‘Or at least parked on the street (preferably not ours).’

Taking matters into her own hands, she reported the parking violation to the Northern Beaches Council, an action she acknowledged as petty but felt was necessary to address the 'grubby' behaviour.

The council's regulations are clear: residents must not park in or across a driveway, even their own, to ensure pedestrian safety and access.

The minimum penalty for such an infraction is $283, as stated on the council's website.

‘Ensure your car is within the front boundary of the property or parked safely in the street,’ the guidelines said.

After the incident was reported through the Snap, Snap, Solve app, the council confirmed that the driver was indeed fined.

Although council officers have since patrolled the area and found no repeated instances, the woman was dismayed to see the ute still parked in the driveway, leading her to question the council's commitment to resolving the issue.

‘Vengeance is sadly not mine,’ she joked.

‘Today, I received an email from the council saying the matter has been resolved. Do council not care, or is this an insufficient crime for any action to be taken?’ she asked.

The community's reaction to the incident has been mixed.

Some locals support the fine, citing the dangers posed to pedestrians.

‘I’m surprised he doesn’t get booked as he is blocking the footpath for prams and wheelchairs,’ one person said.

‘That’s kind of dangerous. Plus disabled or kids on bikes could slam into it,’ another shared.

Others, however, feel the complaint was unwarranted and suggest that the woman should focus on her own business rather than policing her neighbour's parking.

‘You sound like one of those neighbours that sticks their noses into other people's business," one said.

‘Car park is sh*te, but it doesn’t seem like it’s affecting you. Take a deep breath and stop working yourself up over things that really don’t matter,’ another said.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney resident was frustrated with her neighbour's parking habits, leading to her reporting him to the Northern Beaches Council.
  • The neighbour's vehicle was parked in such a way that it was partially blocking the footpath, which is illegal and subject to a $283 fine.
  • After being reported, the council confirmed that the driver was fined, and they have since patrolled the area to prevent further instances.
  • The action has divided locals, with some supporting the fine for illegal parking, while others see the reporting as petty and suggest minding one's own business.
Have you ever encountered similar parking issues in your neighbourhood? Do you think the woman's actions were justified, or was it an overreaction? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Doing battle with neighbors over something that does not adversely effect her is not wise. Where I live, we all work together for a happy neighborhood. When a neighbor goes away, we all look after their place. We even park in the absentee's driveway when a house is unattended to make it look like someone is home.
Careful Mal, could that affect your car insurance?

I don't believe the complaining woman's action was wrong.

Parking in driveways where your vehicle encroaches onto the footpath disadvantages a number of footpath users including:

1. Elderly pedestrians who may have mobility issues (going around the protruding vehicle could cause them to fall);

2. Wheelchair bound passersby;

3. Mobility scooter users;

4. Mothers with prams; and

5. Children who might step on to the road.

Why would anyone choose to justify the encroaching vehicle owner's behaviour?

Reactions: Veggiepatch
He always did park on his property but is still hanging over the path as in the picture so he is still in the wrong and she is pointing out that the council has not resolved anything.
If you read the article correctly you will see it clearly states that he was fined and the council has done regular patrols and there have been no repeated instances.She is now complaining because it is still in his driveway.
As long as it is no longer tail end on the footpath it is not an offence to park in his own driveway.
The picture was pointing out what he was originally doing.

Reactions: Littleboy8
The use of a woman's name to indicate unreasonable/absurd/foolish/arbitrary or entitled/excessively demanding behaviour is offensive.

That was my mother's name, an amazing woman now gone but never forgotten and whose name is often mentioned by people who benefited from her many kindnesses.

Would referring to such unreasonable people as David sit well?
Oh for heaven's sake, it's a joke, everybody says it. Lighten up.

The council should uphold it’s laws and regulations these utes are not designed for our roads & drivways if it doesn’t fit in your garage then you should not buy it or find a parking space that suits or move to a location that it will fit in

Reactions: Annna
Doing battle with neighbors over something that does not adversely effect her is not wise. Where I live, we all work together for a happy neighborhood. When a neighbor goes away, we all look after their place. We even park in the absentee's driveway when a house is unattended to make it look like someone is home.
As it should be. Our street is the same. Nothing worse than bluing with the neighbours

Reactions: Annna
let me tell you, people parking or obstructing footpaths is very frustrating, especially when you use a gopher or wheelchair - you have to backtrack to find a way to get off the footpath to use the road (which can be dangerous) to get round the offending vehicle. When it happens to me i always report it, with a photo attached, and a please explain request to the local council.
The same should apply to rubbish bins left on the path after they have been emptied [or even when they are placed on the footpath waiting for emptying] People with mobility scooters, mothers [or fathers] with prams and little one on trikes or such like rideable item. Going on to roadway especially on busy roadways can/is dangerous.

There is more to this photo then most people may ever realize. I as a great-grandfather ordinary reverse into my driveway. This, because it gives me a better understanding as to any pedestrian, etc, travelling across the footpath. In the decades of doing so on 2 occasions suddenly a small child appeared in front of my vehicle, both on a small bike. That to me proved I was all along right to reverse into the driveway. After all, when reversing into a driveway you have a clear view if anything is travelling along the footpath and /or on the driveway. The same is not applicable when reversing out of a driveway. Too many reports about small children being run over by someone reversing out of the driveway. Then the issue is about "council" issuing a parking Infringement Notice. Well, as the High Court of Australia in Municipal of Sydney v Commonwealth made very clear that councils have no legislative powers being a municipal corporation. Last year Banyule City council via their lawyers wrote to me that I am not allowed to park my (registered) motor vehicle in my driveway but must park it in the garage. Moment, my motor vehicle is parked in the driveway behind locked gates and they think they can dictate me what is can or cannot do on my own property?
There is an excellent article at https://constitutionwatch.com.au/fee-simple/ which also refers to

Commonwealth v New South Wales [1923] HCA 34; 919230 33 CLR 1 (9August 1923)

Fee Simple.​

Posted onMay 10, 2022AuthorEditor

What is an Estate in Fee Simple?

Commonwealth v New South Wales [1923] HCA 34 (1923) 33 CLR 1

(9 August 1923)

HIGH COURT OF AUSTRALIA

KNOX C.J., ISAACS, HIGGINS, GAVAN DUFFY AND STARKE JJ.

THE COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA PLAINTIFF

AGAINST

THE STATE OF NEW SOUTH WALES AND ANOTHER DEFENDANTS

1920-1923: SYDNEY, Dec. 1-3, 1920; Mar. 21-29, 1922; Aug. 9, 1923 33 CLR 1

Extracts from Commonwealth Law Reports Volume 33 / 33 CLR 1:-

(1920) 33 CLR 1 at 42

ISAACS J. In Challis's Real Property, 3rd ed., p. 218,

it is stated with perfect accuracy:—

“In the language of the English law, the word fee signifies an estate of inheritance as distinguished from a less estate; not, as in the language of the feudists, a subject of tenure as distinguished from an allodium.”

“Allodium being wholly unknown to English law, the latter distinction would in fact have no meaning.” “A fee simple is the most extensive in quantum, and the most absolute in respect to the rights which it confers, of all estates known to the law.”

It confers, and since the beginning of legal history it always has conferred, the lawful right to exercise over, upon, and in respect to, the land, every act of ownership which can enter into the imagination, including the right to commit unlimited waste; and, for all practical purposes of ownership, it differs from the absolute dominion of a chattel, in nothing except the physical indestructibility of its subject.

“Besides these rights of ownership, a fee simple at the present day confers an absolute right, both of alienation inter vivos and of devise by will.” 2

Extracts from Commonwealth Law Reports Volume 33 / 33 CLR 1:-(1920) 33 CLR 1 at 45

END QUOTE

There is a lot more to it all but for now this may give some people to think that "councils" in general have become terrorist in how they pursue matters, while themselves doing far worse. parking across a driveway, unless in an emergency or assisting a disabled person to move in or out of a motor vehicle should not be acceptable but neither so motor vehicles reversing out of a driveway! Just ask yourself how often did you reverse into a parking spot to avoid having to reverse out of a parking spot, at a shopping center?

Well sorry, I will retract that and say "it's a regular saying" and to be honest I couldn't give two hoots if somebody said "what a Trish thing to do", I'm not that precious.
Ok.

I'm not either, it's not me their insulting. My mother is a different matter.

Last edited:
I new a older woman that was so petty that she would not let anyone park on the street in front of her house, she would create a scene you would never forget.
This same woman would rake up any leafs from council trees that were on her property, bag them and take them to the council office and leave them at the front desk.
now that’s petty.
I would just to annoy her park my own car out the front of her place., just so I could tell her that she may own the house but not the street. What a dreadful KAREN.

The same should apply to rubbish bins left on the path after they have been emptied [or even when they are placed on the footpath waiting for emptying] People with mobility scooters, mothers [or fathers] with prams and little one on trikes or such like rideable item. Going on to roadway especially on busy roadways can/is dangerous.
I am currently in the middle of a complaint with my council regarding the placement of rubbish bins by the contractor - wish me luck - the homeowners are great - its the contractor putting them back carelessly