This simple Kmart trick will transform your outdoor space on a budget!

At the SDC, we love a good Kmart hack. Not only are they usually very cheap and easy to do, but they can also add a real touch of style to your home – both inside and out.

We’ve seen some really impressive hacks over the years, from using Kmart products as tiling splashbacks to giving coffee tables a whole new lease on life. But this latest one might just be our favourite yet!

Recently, one clever mum took to a popular Facebook group to share how she had used some stone decking tiles from Kmart – which normally sell for just $29 for a pack of four – to modernise some old outdoor plant pots. And the results are amazing!

'Gave these old concrete pots a freshen up using chalk paint and tile stones,' she wrote in her post, alongside some before-and-after photos of her handiwork.

e9759380-5f07-11ed-96fd-64f31a70339f

The mum gave her garden pots a fresh makeover by painting them with chalk paint and stone decking tiles from Kmart. Credit: Facebook.

The post has quickly gained traction, amassing more than 3,000 likes from group members who were stunned by the gorgeous transformation.

One person exclaimed: 'How frigging amazing! Are you kidding?'

'Best post ever. Beautiful upcycling!' another praised.

A third chimed in: 'OMG, I have some of these and was ready to chuck them. Will be doing your trick. Thanks so much for sharing.'

While she admitted that making her own planters was not a very easy feat for her, Hannah, the original poster of the tip, was not expecting the overwhelming support she received from the group members.

The mum said: 'I was hesitant to post them as I've never posted anything in a group forum before but I'm completely blown away by the feedback.'

'I have received nothing but beautiful comments from everyone. Very humbling.'

cdfd7910-5f1b-11ed-b97e-852ee2dbd0c6

In addition to stone decking tiles from Kmart ($29 for four), Hannah also utilised tile adhesive from Bunnings. Credit: Kmart/Bunnings.

Sharing some of the steps she took to finish the project, Hannah said that she tried replicating the stone tile and grout combination after seeing it on a post on a Facebook group.

'I sat them outside to dry in front of my palm and thought the stone looked nice against greenery,' she explained.

'They were a lot easier to do than the side tables as I'd done a bit of trial and error already.'

Key Takeaways
Kmart's stone decking tiles can be used to modernise outdoor plant pots.
To do this, simply paint the pots with chalk paint, and then stick the tiles on with tile adhesive.
Finish off by grouting the gaps between the tiles, and sealing the pots once dry.

For those of you who are looking for a more detailed guide on how Hannah achieved the look, here's the step-by-step procedure:

MATERIALS

Kmart white chalk paint
Kmart stone tiles
Tile adhesive (Bunnings)
Dunlop flexible grout (Bunnings) - the small pot is extra white and the large is white
Grouting tools
Sealer (Bunnings)
Sugar soap

METHOD

1. Apply two coats of chalk paint to the top and bottom trims.
2. Pull the stones from the backing, then the silicone tile adhesive to attach each one to the pot.
3. Mix the grout and press it into the gaps. (Tip: Wearing gloves makes the mixing process simpler)
4. The extra grout can then be scraped off using the grouting tools.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for all sides.
6. Use a moist sponge to smooth out the grout. (Tip: Allow grout to be semi-dry for this step)
7. To restore part of the colour, wipe each stone with a sugar soap wipe individually.
8. Seal once dry.

So, there you have it, members! This DIY project turned out so well that it almost looks professionally made. Are you looking to give this a try as well? Better yet, do you have other outdoor DIY projects you'd like to share with us? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
JayKay, your bells look lovely, you must be very talented, I am envious!!
You are so kind.
My Mum taught me to knit when I was 4.
I thank her for her patience and perseverance.
I have knitted all the time since then.
When I was in Grade 5, we had to take knitting to school for craft.
I was knitting my dolly a new dress, and I was smocking the bodice, using a double pointed needle.
The teacher came along and roared at me for bringing my mother's knitting.
My needles fell on the floor.
I felt so humiliated, but I picked up my needles and went on knitting.
The teacher stood at the back of the class with her mouth agape!
When I was nursing, I knitted children's gifts, like stuffed toys, hand puppets and baby clothes for the gift shop.
When I did Midwifery, I made baby layettes for their gift shop.
When my sister's children arrived, I kntted so many garments for them, then toys and puppets for them.
When I was having treatment for cancer, I knitted hundreds of scarf and beanie sets for Peter MacCallum to sell in their gift shop.
I knit poppies, daffodils for cancer day and teddies for different places.
I submitted photos of all these on Remembrance Day....in the lemon poppy biscuits post.
I love doing a few items for a few friends at Christmas.
I love creating my own patterns.

You are so kind.
My Mum taught me to knit when I was 4.
I thank her for her patience and perseverance.
I have knitted all the time since then.
When I was in Grade 5, we had to take knitting to school for craft.
I was knitting my dolly a new dress, and I was smocking the bodice, using a double pointed needle.
The teacher came along and roared at me for bringing my mother's knitting.
My needles fell on the floor.
I felt so humiliated, but I picked up my needles and went on knitting.
The teacher stood at the back of the class with her mouth agape!
When I was nursing, I knitted children's gifts, like stuffed toys, hand puppets and baby clothes for the gift shop.
When I did Midwifery, I made baby layettes for their gift shop.
When my sister's children arrived, I kntted so many garments for them, then toys and puppets for them.
When I was having treatment for cancer, I knitted hundreds of scarf and beanie sets for Peter MacCallum to sell in their gift shop.
I knit poppies, daffodils for cancer day and teddies for different places.
I submitted photos of all these on Remembrance Day....in the lemon poppy biscuits post.
I love doing a few items for a few friends at Christmas.
I love creating my own patterns.
JayKay, you certainly must bring 'happiness' to a lot of people, you should feel very proud!
When I was 20 my Mum helped me knit a one and only, little pink jumper for my Goddaughter. It was a very easy pattern, although I didn't think so! My Mum was very patient with me, it turned out very nice, with a lot of help and I mean a lot of help, from my Mum! I think I started her grey hairs off early with that little project!
My Mum was a very good knitter and enjoyed making crafty things but her talents were not passed onto me unfortunately and she could not encourage me, as she passed not soon after.
Have a lovely and safe Christmas JayKay, I loved reading your reply.

Reactions: JayKay
JayKay, you certainly must bring 'happiness' to a lot of people, you should feel very proud!
When I was 20 my Mum helped me knit a one and only, little pink jumper for my Goddaughter. It was a very easy pattern, although I didn't think so! My Mum was very patient with me, it turned out very nice, with a lot of help and I mean a lot of help, from my Mum! I think I started her grey hairs off early with that little project!
My Mum was a very good knitter and enjoyed making crafty things but her talents were not passed onto me unfortunately and she could not encourage me, as she passed not soon after.
Have a lovely and safe Christmas JayKay, I loved reading your reply.
How gorgeous that you knitted a little pink jumper for your Goddaughter....that is so special. I hope you still pat yourself on the back for achieving that!
Aren't our Mums treasures!
I have recalled another activity I undertook.
My Church was running a "Talents" fund raiser.
People could nominate an amount of money to receive from the Church, and promise to double it, or treble it etc.
My dear son said to me, "Mum, you could knit your scarves and beanies,"
I laughed and said no-one would want my knitting.
He said, "Why don't you try it!"
It was when the textured wool, like Feathers, had just come out, and was an absolute novelty.
Everyone wanted this new Feathers stuff!
I had an outlet through Peter MacCallum to get seconds yarn free, so my costs were zero.
I took orders at Church on a Sunday, and took everyone's items back the next week.
I was knitting more than 40 hours a week...it was huge. The Church raised over $1000 from my knitting alone.
I also had an order from a German lady to knit a beanie and scarf for her sister in Germany, turning 80.
I could choose the pattern, using pure wool.
My friend bought the wool.
I chose the pattern, which she loved.
The beanie had to have a double fold back brim, so it was very long.
The scarf wasn't a scarf, it was a shawl....
8' X 4'.....to wrap around this "elderly" lady as she rode her bike to the village through the snow.
When I'd fun she'd these items, my friend asked me to knit some gloves to match.
Of course, there was no gloves pattern in the book.
So I rang Patons, who told me there's no gloves pattern because the stitch count is wrong with that pattern.
Of course, I "had" to have gloves to match, I didn't want plain gloves.
I forget how many little bits of gloves I knitted until I got the stitch number correct to divide for the fingers.
I wrapped the beanie (with a pom pom), the shawl and gloves in tissue paper and clear
cellophane.
My friend took it to Germany for her sister's birthday.
Apparently, all the ladies in the village wanted my knitting!
I think that was the biggest job I have undertaken.
Mind you, doing 300 teddies for the Samaritans Purse Christmas Shoeboxes took a lot of perseverance....I'd made a commitment to do them, so I had to deliver.
I challenge you to find something else to knit.....I believe there are patterns for Christmas bells on google.....
The ones I knitted I made up the pattern,
but it was easy.
Happy Christmas wishes to you and yours.

Reactions: gollywog
How gorgeous that you knitted a little pink jumper for your Goddaughter....that is so special. I hope you still pat yourself on the back for achieving that!
Aren't our Mums treasures!
I have recalled another activity I undertook.
My Church was running a "Talents" fund raiser.
People could nominate an amount of money to receive from the Church, and promise to double it, or treble it etc.
My dear son said to me, "Mum, you could knit your scarves and beanies,"
I laughed and said no-one would want my knitting.
He said, "Why don't you try it!"
It was when the textured wool, like Feathers, had just come out, and was an absolute novelty.
Everyone wanted this new Feathers stuff!
I had an outlet through Peter MacCallum to get seconds yarn free, so my costs were zero.
I took orders at Church on a Sunday, and took everyone's items back the next week.
I was knitting more than 40 hours a week...it was huge. The Church raised over $1000 from my knitting alone.
I also had an order from a German lady to knit a beanie and scarf for her sister in Germany, turning 80.
I could choose the pattern, using pure wool.
My friend bought the wool.
I chose the pattern, which she loved.
The beanie had to have a double fold back brim, so it was very long.
The scarf wasn't a scarf, it was a shawl....
8' X 4'.....to wrap around this "elderly" lady as she rode her bike to the village through the snow.
When I'd fun she'd these items, my friend asked me to knit some gloves to match.
Of course, there was no gloves pattern in the book.
So I rang Patons, who told me there's no gloves pattern because the stitch count is wrong with that pattern.
Of course, I "had" to have gloves to match, I didn't want plain gloves.
I forget how many little bits of gloves I knitted until I got the stitch number correct to divide for the fingers.
I wrapped the beanie (with a pom pom), the shawl and gloves in tissue paper and clear
cellophane.
My friend took it to Germany for her sister's birthday.
Apparently, all the ladies in the village wanted my knitting!
I think that was the biggest job I have undertaken.
Mind you, doing 300 teddies for the Samaritans Purse Christmas Shoeboxes took a lot of perseverance....I'd made a commitment to do them, so I had to deliver.
I challenge you to find something else to knit.....I believe there are patterns for Christmas bells on google.....
The ones I knitted I made up the pattern,
but it was easy.
Happy Christmas wishes to you and yours.

JayKay,
Wow, Wow and Wow, you are such a talented lady, for sure!!
I hope I don't disappoint you but I will have to decline your challenge, knitting is not my forte, I have tried it several times over the years but I can crochet squares (only), so come Autumn, I will be making blankets for the Homeless.
I'm not disappointed at all, you know your limits, what is achievable or not for yourself.
Wow, crocheting squares for rugs for homeless folks, that's awesome!
Well done to you. That's a huge gift where it's really needed....💕

Reactions: gollywog
JayKay,
Wow, Wow and Wow, you are such a talented lady, for sure!!
I hope I don't disappoint you but I will have to decline your challenge, knitting is not my forte, I have tried it several times over the years but I can crochet, squares only mind you, so come Autumn, I will be making small blankets for the Homeless for Winter.