This presenter is said to be Kochie's replacement on Sunrise. Do you agree?

It’s fair to say David ‘Kochie’ Koch is one of the more popular faces to appear in your mind when you hear the words ‘morning news’.

For around 20 years, he has been the face of the popular Australian morning show Sunrise.

But now, after two decades of reporting the news, interviewing the biggest celebrities, and grilling the best chefs, Kochie is said to be preparing to make his exit from the show.

That leaves an important question: who is fit to replace Kochie?

Well, according to a recent report, it’s sports presenter Matt Shirvington!

The track-and-field Olympian and seasoned broadcaster rejoined Channel Seven in 2020 in a move seen to have added greatly to the network’s sports portfolio.

Screenshot_5.png
Many people were surprised when Matt (right) filled in for Kochie. Credit: YouTube/ViraloQ 2

Now, a couple of weeks ago, he filled in for Kochie who went on leave — and network executives were impressed at how effortlessly he took on the veteran broadcaster’s role.

Matt currently has Sunrise hosting duties on Fridays.

Matt Doran (yes, a different Matt), another presenter who hosts Weekend Sunrise, was said to be the original replacement for Kochie. However, it seems that plan has been shelved in favour of Shirvington.

Anyway, network executives have a long time to think things through, considering Kochie isn’t saying goodbye just yet!

You see, since he renewed his contract, he isn’t expected to leave his post as Sunrise anchor until late 2024.

Amid the rumours swirling that his exit was imminent, Kochie was convinced by Channel Seven CEO James Warburton to stay, at least for a little longer.

Kochie allegedly got a good deal as he fought for ‘greater flexibility’ in his role.

He also opened up on taking a step back in an interview, where he indicated a desire to live a life outside of broadcasting.

‘After 20 years, I’ve felt I needed more flexibility in my life with my wife Libby and my business interests,’ Kochie said.

Screenshot_1.png
Kochie renewed his contract with Channel Seven and is expected to be on Sunrise until the end of 2024. Credit: YouTube/Sunrise

‘So when I mentioned leaving to (Channel) Seven, James very kindly asked me whether we could work together on a plan that I wanted, which also kept my connection to the network and my focus on Sunrise,’ he added.

‘I love (Sunrise) dearly. So I’m really fortunate to have the best of all worlds.’

Well Kochie, we’re also fortunate to have you presenting our morning news.

How’s a couple more years sound, eh? Kidding!

Key Takeaways

• Matt Shirvington is tipped to step into David 'Kochie' Koch's shoes as rumours swirl around his exit from Sunrise.
  • Kochie has hosted Brekky Central for 20 years, but is expected to leave the show at the end of 2024.
  • Shirvington currently co-hosts Sunrise on Fridays instead of Kochie, and reports say that he has 'the backing' of Seven's top executives.
Speaking of years, when Kochie celebrated his 20th anniversary in October, many people online were ‘spooked’ when they noticed one thing about him. Read about it here!

We’d also like to take the opportunity to share a warning Kochie made about a scam using his name that unfortunately saw one man losing $30,000.

So, do you think Matt is a great replacement for Kochie? Or do you have another personality in mind fit to take on the role?

Source: Twitter/@sunriseon7

Sponsored
It’s fair to say David ‘Kochie’ Koch is one of the more popular faces to appear in your mind when you hear the words ‘morning news’.

For around 20 years, he has been the face of the popular Australian morning show Sunrise.

But now, after two decades of reporting the news, interviewing the biggest celebrities, and grilling the best chefs, Kochie is said to be preparing to make his exit from the show.

The track-and-field Olympian and seasoned broadcaster rejoined Channel Seven in 2020 in a move seen to have added greatly to the network’s sports portfolio.

View attachment 9034
Many people were surprised when Matt (right) filled in for Kochie. Credit: YouTube/ViraloQ 2

Now, a couple of weeks ago, he filled in for Kochie who went on leave — and network executives were impressed at how effortlessly he took on the veteran broadcaster’s role.

Matt Doran (yes, a different Matt), another presenter who hosts Weekend Sunrise, was said to be the original replacement for Kochie. However, it seems that plan has been shelved in favour of Shirvington.

Anyway, network executives have a long time to think things through, considering Kochie isn’t saying goodbye just yet!

You see, since he renewed his contract, he isn’t expected to leave his post as Sunrise anchor until late 2024.

Amid the rumours swirling that his exit was imminent, Kochie was convinced by Channel Seven CEO James Warburton to stay, at least for a little longer.

Kochie allegedly got a good deal as he fought for ‘greater flexibility’ in his role.

He also opened up on taking a step back in an interview, where he indicated a desire to live a life outside of broadcasting.

‘After 20 years, I’ve felt I needed more flexibility in my life with my wife Libby and my business interests,’ Kochie said.

View attachment 9033
Kochie renewed his contract with Channel Seven and is expected to be on Sunrise until the end of 2024. Credit: YouTube/Sunrise

‘So when I mentioned leaving to (Channel) Seven, James very kindly asked me whether we could work together on a plan that I wanted, which also kept my connection to the network and my focus on Sunrise,’ he added.

‘I love (Sunrise) dearly. So I’m really fortunate to have the best of all worlds.’

Key Takeaways

• Matt Shirvington is tipped to step into David 'Kochie' Koch's shoes as rumours swirl around his exit from Sunrise.
  • Kochie has hosted Brekky Central for 20 years, but is expected to leave the show at the end of 2024.
  • Shirvington currently co-hosts Sunrise on Fridays instead of Kochie, and reports say that he has 'the backing' of Seven's top executives.
Speaking of years, when Kochie celebrated his 20th anniversary in October, many people online were ‘spooked’ when they noticed one thing about him. Read about it here!

We’d also like to take the opportunity to share a warning Kochie made about a scam using his name that unfortunately saw one man losing $30,000.

So, do you think Matt is a great replacement for Kochie? Or do you have another personality in mind fit to take on the role?

I might start watching again.

• Love
Reactions: Tipsy and Ricci
I think it is time to Go Kochie and time to Go Nat fresh younger faces are needed. Yes Matt Shirvington would be a good replacement Monday to Friday. Matt Doran is awesome on the weekends BUT bring Monica from weekends to replace Nat. Nat can be too cynical sometimes not as natural as Monica. Morning TV should be entertaining and amusing too much tragedy in the world need a laugh to break the News. That is why we love Sam Mac. Move Edwina to weekends then she can have more time with her young family. Problem solved. You Are Very Welcome Seven Executives. :)
I agree bring Monica on in the week she is much more pleasant and not so critical like Nat is. Matt S also would be great

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 9034

View attachment 9033

Key Takeaways

I think Matt Shirvo would be an excellent candidate for the show, has a little of the Australian larrikan, and is an experienced TV personality 🤔 😉

Reactions: Ricci