This photo of a tradie is all over the internet: Find out why Aussies are sharing it!

We understand the value of a good retirement after years of hard work. We're always on the lookout for news that affects our members, specifically retirement-related concerns.

That's why we couldn't help but take notice of this image that's been doing the rounds on the internet. The image features a hardworking tradie holding up a sign that has resonated with many.

The sign reads, 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70.'

compressed-photo.jpeg
A photo of an Australian worker is being widely shared as outraged Australians respond to the suggestion of raising the pension age to 70. Source: Facebook

The photo comes in response to Australia's recent changes to pension eligibility.

The age at which Australians can access their pension has gradually risen from 65 to 67 as of July 1 this year.

This has triggered outrage among blue-collar workers who believe it's unjust to expect people nearing 70 to continue performing physically demanding labour.

Many Aussies feel strongly that this change asks too much of older workers, whose bodies may already feel the wear and tear from years of hard work.

Sharing their thoughts and experiences online, Australians have been voicing their concerns and rallying behind the message in the image.

'My body is just tired, as is my husband's, who is 66. We both need to just rest now. We had planned on retiring at 65. Then they changed the goalposts.' one person wrote in response to the photo.

Another echoed these sentiments, saying, 'I've worked 43 years as a butcher. I'm almost 65 years old, I think I've done enough, and my body agrees.'

compressed-pexels-august-de-richelieu-4427547.jpeg
Call for Politicians to Experience Tradies' Work Firsthand. Photo by August de Richelieu

Others have argued that politicians cannot truly understand the physical toll that manual labour takes on a person's body, particularly after decades of work.

Many suggested that these decision-makers try spending some time in the shoes of a tradie to get a genuine understanding of the issue at hand.

'The politicians all need to get out of their chairs and do a tradies' job for a week or two, then they will know what a bad back is and realise that the body won't let you work until you are 70.' one commenter proposed.

Another added, 'I would like to see all politicians work a week as a bricklayer, a boilermaker, a plumber, or a builder—doing what we did to 65, they couldn't for a week.'

The current pension eligibility age is 65 years and six months for Australians born between July 1, 1952, and December 31, 1953. For those born after this date, pension access starts no earlier than 66. For anyone born after January 1, 1957, the age will increase to 67 as of July 1.

Macquarie University Professor of Statistics Hanlin Shang suggests that the pension age may need to rise again to 70 by 2050 to keep government spending under control.

Professor Shang highlighted that the extended lifespan of Australians poses a challenge for the government in financing individuals' retirement needs through a pension scheme.

'Less people in the working group and more in retirement will make the old age dependency ratio (OADR) higher.' Professor Shang said.

'What this means is there are fewer working people to support elderly people. And with more elderly people in the population, this will create a burden for the government pension system.'

Key Takeaways
  • An image of a tradie holding a sign against raising the retirement age has gone viral and gained support from many Australians who oppose pension eligibility changes.
  • The sign reads, 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70.'
  • Many blue-collar workers are angered by the change as physically demanding labour becomes more difficult as they age.
  • Australia's pension age rose to 67 on July 1 this year, with research suggesting it will need to rise again to 70 by 2050.
It's essential to ensure the hardworking men and women who've dedicated their lives to their trade have their voices heard and their concerns addressed.

So, as our government wrestles with these issues, let's keep the conversation going and ensure the rights and concerns are fully considered.

Members, what are your thoughts on the image of the tradie holding the sign about working until the age of 70? Does this image and the sentiments expressed resonate with you?

Share your opinions and feelings about the changes in pension eligibility and the challenges workers face in physically demanding jobs.

Sponsored
Are you saying that because we're 'safe' we shouldn't concern ourselves with this issue? I am concerned for my children who work full-time despite challenges. They will be physically exhausted long before 70.
NO, that is not what I am saying because if you are in the age group that will retire at 70 and most will retire earlier if they work the appropriate time as in start work at roughly 20 and work through to say 60 that's 40 years your boss has been putting into your retirement fund and what you put in you should have an awful lot of money stashed away unlike a lot our age who did not have a lot of time to collect Super.

Last edited:
I must be living on a different planet. I know few people living on welfare, except for the very ill. Most people I know want to work even those who have painful conditions.
No, most people our age have worked I'm talking about the younger generation who SOME feel they are entitled to skate through life doing nothing and collecting handouts from the Government.

I thought you could volunteer at 55 upwards until ready to retire, yes my sister was born in 1958 and she will retire at the end of this year being 67. And myself the same born in 1960 I too can retire at 67, if I wasn't already retired being married to a returned service man, but my retirement age changed by 10 years, with all this shuffling going on.

Yes but what is the point of working some hours if you can get them to enhance your quality of living or what ever the case may be, when you are on the Age Pension because they take half of it back again as in reducing your Pension, it's a lose situation for us and win win for Centrelink and Tax man. I think and I'm quite sure someone will come down on me like a tonne of bricks if I'm wrong, BUT isn't Australia the only country in the world that MAKES your employer pay for your retirement, remember it doesn't come out of your pocket it comes from your BOSS, that is why sooooooo many businesses shut when pay rises are given, they have to find money for pay rise and the appropriate percentage for Super, sure you can contribute, but when it first started it was all the companies money.
Employers in USA pay for their employee's health insurance. Australia doesn't do that.

Last edited:
It doesn't concern us, is not really the way society enhances and advances itself, though hey.

Why make life harder for all that follow our generation, just because the leadership has bugger all ideas on how to properly manage our economy, and no interest at all it seems, in listening to anything, but its own self-serving factionalist opinion of how best to resolve the mess, that these opinions keep creating.
I don't recall saying it doesn't concern us, I simply said it doesn't affect most of us, as in changing our retirement age, 2 very different things.

We understand the value of a good retirement after years of hard work. We're always on the lookout for news that affects our members, specifically retirement-related concerns.

That's why we couldn't help but take notice of this image that's been doing the rounds on the internet. The image features a hardworking tradie holding up a sign that has resonated with many.

The sign reads, 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70.'

View attachment 23054
A photo of an Australian worker is being widely shared as outraged Australians respond to the suggestion of raising the pension age to 70. Source: Facebook

The photo comes in response to Australia's recent changes to pension eligibility.

The age at which Australians can access their pension has gradually risen from 65 to 67 as of July 1 this year.

This has triggered outrage among blue-collar workers who believe it's unjust to expect people nearing 70 to continue performing physically demanding labour.

Many Aussies feel strongly that this change asks too much of older workers, whose bodies may already feel the wear and tear from years of hard work.

Sharing their thoughts and experiences online, Australians have been voicing their concerns and rallying behind the message in the image.

'My body is just tired, as is my husband's, who is 66. We both need to just rest now. We had planned on retiring at 65. Then they changed the goalposts.' one person wrote in response to the photo.

Another echoed these sentiments, saying, 'I've worked 43 years as a butcher. I'm almost 65 years old, I think I've done enough, and my body agrees.'

View attachment 23055
Call for Politicians to Experience Tradies' Work Firsthand. Photo by August de Richelieu

Others have argued that politicians cannot truly understand the physical toll that manual labour takes on a person's body, particularly after decades of work.

Many suggested that these decision-makers try spending some time in the shoes of a tradie to get a genuine understanding of the issue at hand.

'The politicians all need to get out of their chairs and do a tradies' job for a week or two, then they will know what a bad back is and realise that the body won't let you work until you are 70.' one commenter proposed.

Another added, 'I would like to see all politicians work a week as a bricklayer, a boilermaker, a plumber, or a builder—doing what we did to 65, they couldn't for a week.'

The current pension eligibility age is 65 years and six months for Australians born between July 1, 1952, and December 31, 1953. For those born after this date, pension access starts no earlier than 66. For anyone born after January 1, 1957, the age will increase to 67 as of July 1.

Macquarie University Professor of Statistics Hanlin Shang suggests that the pension age may need to rise again to 70 by 2050 to keep government spending under control.

Professor Shang highlighted that the extended lifespan of Australians poses a challenge for the government in financing individuals' retirement needs through a pension scheme.

'Less people in the working group and more in retirement will make the old age dependency ratio (OADR) higher.' Professor Shang said.

'What this means is there are fewer working people to support elderly people. And with more elderly people in the population, this will create a burden for the government pension system.'

Key Takeaways

• An image of a tradie holding a sign against raising the retirement age has gone viral and gained support from many Australians who oppose pension eligibility changes.
  • The sign reads, 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70.'
  • Many blue-collar workers are angered by the change as physically demanding labour becomes more difficult as they age.
  • Australia's pension age rose to 67 on July 1 this year, with research suggesting it will need to rise again to 70 by 2050.
It's essential to ensure the hardworking men and women who've dedicated their lives to their trade have their voices heard and their concerns addressed.

So, as our government wrestles with these issues, let's keep the conversation going and ensure the rights and concerns are fully considered.

Members, what are your thoughts on the image of the tradie holding the sign about working until the age of 70? Does this image and the sentiments expressed resonate with you?

Share your opinions and feelings about the changes in pension eligibility and the challenges workers face in physically demanding jobs.
When I started work in the mid 70's the possibility of retirement at around 55 years old with super etc the was around 60 then it jumped to 65 now 67 for me well the trades people the body will burn out or knee's, shoulders ,back's etc fortunately for me I've retired at 62 due to work being had to come by in my trade as a sheetmetal worker I have a few ailments knee's, hands and hearing so lve become self-funded retirement until the pension age and yes its hard work considering I've worked in construction, maintenance, workshop's etc the problem now is the previous government slashed funding for apprentices so that's why we have a void in the workforce so why is it the worker looking forward to retirement gets a kick in the guts for politicians decisions year's ago

Reactions: Penny4

View attachment 23054

View attachment 23055

Key Takeaways

I worked in an office until I retired at 70. I was born in 1949 so could have retired at 65. I was not in a physically demanding job so I was able to work a bit longer. What made me leave work was technology, I couldn't, and didn't want to keep up with that.

Totally agree with the concept of all politicians having to spend at least a month doing hard physical labour jobs, working on farms seven days a week from before daylight til after dark, in aged care and disability services and hospitals. I’m sure few of them would last the distance. Also make them live on the same pay as these people receive, live for a month on the pension, a month on jobseeker etc. give them a taste of the real world, a world that the majority of people have to live and try to survive in. If everyone in Australia only had access to the same pension amount when they retired, and had to meet the same asset tests, income tests and everything else most of us have to cop, no extra benefits paid, then I’m sure there would be no trouble funding the pension for anyone aged over 65 if they wanted or needed to retire. Unfortunately for most of us the greed factor won’t ever allow this to happen.

I’m sure I will be corrected if I’m wrong - but didn’t compulsory superannuation only come in either late 70s or very early 80s? That doesn’t give most people on this forum many years of super savings as against those in their 20s, 30s and 40s who will have super savings that will amount to quite a lot by their retirement age.

Don’t all rush to correct me on the dates of the introduction of compulsory super, please!!

You're not restricted for working more hours, your payment from Centrelink will reduce (partially). Equally you will be required to lodge a tax return.
Thats correct. Ones over your limit, 50% reduction by centerlink and 19 +2% tax.

I’m sure I will be corrected if I’m wrong - but didn’t compulsory superannuation only come in either late 70s or very early 80s? That doesn’t give most people on this forum many years of super savings as against those in their 20s, 30s and 40s who will have super savings that will amount to quite a lot by their retirement age.

Don’t all rush to correct me on the dates of the introduction of compulsory super, please!!
Yep you are right Super came in the mid 80's, Super has always been around so to speak but it wasn't really talked about much because we as in our age group thought we were all going to get a decent Pension when we retired, after all that is what our Tax's were paying for, HOW WRONG WERE WE TO THINK THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.

I can only speak about Teachers. My grandfather was a Head Principal and retired in the 60's with a pension/superfund.

I can only speak about Teachers. My grandfather was a Head Principal and retired in the 60's with a pension/superfund.
Government jobs, yes they had a lot of perks normal workers did not, their Super % that is put in by the Government is a lot more than the normal joe blogs

I was lucky in a way & unlucky in others. I retired at 65 I retired 20 years ago. But at the time there was no superannuation paid then I worked for myself after I had been here for 10 years or so no one suggested that I entered a savings scheme. This was just as well for I was very reasonable in my charging & all I earned was paid out again. I did however get a full pension plus rent assistance which in those days was not a patch on what I get now. I even went to China in 2004 to teach English at a school, which was a great experience. As it was only for 4 months I still received my pension while there. That was when I started to share accommodation with my ex-son-in-law. We are still sharing this rented house. It works well for us as we have similar natures & he is now my carer as my daughter cares for someone else in NSW. I don't have much in common with her & neither does her ex-husband. Only my precious granddaughter Artie.

When I started work in the mid 70's the possibility of retirement at around 55 years old with super etc the was around 60 then it jumped to 65 now 67 for me well the trades people the body will burn out or knee's, shoulders ,back's etc fortunately for me I've retired at 62 due to work being had to come by in my trade as a sheetmetal worker I have a few ailments knee's, hands and hearing so lve become self-funded retirement until the pension age and yes its hard work considering I've worked in construction, maintenance, workshop's etc the problem now is the previous government slashed funding for apprentices so that's why we have a void in the workforce so why is it the worker looking forward to retirement gets a kick in the guts for politicians decisions year's ago
I do offer my thoughts to all tradies - road crews, builders, roof tilers etc to name just a few. They spend all their working hours in the sun building up the very real possibility of skin cancers and such. They mostly work very hard with some of those jobs being back-breaking ones, so an early retirement from that type of job is warranted, but how can they keep working after 67 or so without showing any signs of physical fatigue and damage to their bodies? We should not assume everyone can keep working to 70-75. Let’s not decide on someone else’s capabilities and, as you say here, these hard workers are getting a kick in the backside by government (& others here) saying they should be able to keep working longer.

Reactions: Marj53
This is so true. I totally agree. We've both worked physically hard all our lives. Yes we are blue collar workers and proud of it. Get yourself an education and use your brain to earn a living if that's what you want. We're not all capable of doing that and enjoy the work that we do but yes, it does take a toll on your body. Especially once you reach your 60's. When the government keep moving the goalposts it makes life even harder. At least give us the option to reduce our working hours without making us feel guilty and putting us on the scrap heap. There must be a better solution for us oldies who have done the hard yakka for 50 plus years.

Employers in USA pay for their employee's health insurance. Australia doesn't do that.
Yes but they don't pay for their employee's retirement like Australian Employers do, my god talk about lumping everything onto the employer. I personally think it was OUTRAGEOUS to make it LAW that employers HAD to put away money for their employee's retirement. NO WONDER factories , and manufacturing disappeared in Australia.

Reactions: Pink lion