This photo of a tradie is all over the internet: Find out why Aussies are sharing it!

We understand the value of a good retirement after years of hard work. We're always on the lookout for news that affects our members, specifically retirement-related concerns.

That's why we couldn't help but take notice of this image that's been doing the rounds on the internet. The image features a hardworking tradie holding up a sign that has resonated with many.

The sign reads, 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70.'

compressed-photo.jpeg
A photo of an Australian worker is being widely shared as outraged Australians respond to the suggestion of raising the pension age to 70. Source: Facebook

The photo comes in response to Australia's recent changes to pension eligibility.

The age at which Australians can access their pension has gradually risen from 65 to 67 as of July 1 this year.

This has triggered outrage among blue-collar workers who believe it's unjust to expect people nearing 70 to continue performing physically demanding labour.

Many Aussies feel strongly that this change asks too much of older workers, whose bodies may already feel the wear and tear from years of hard work.

Sharing their thoughts and experiences online, Australians have been voicing their concerns and rallying behind the message in the image.

'My body is just tired, as is my husband's, who is 66. We both need to just rest now. We had planned on retiring at 65. Then they changed the goalposts.' one person wrote in response to the photo.

Another echoed these sentiments, saying, 'I've worked 43 years as a butcher. I'm almost 65 years old, I think I've done enough, and my body agrees.'

compressed-pexels-august-de-richelieu-4427547.jpeg
Call for Politicians to Experience Tradies' Work Firsthand. Photo by August de Richelieu

Others have argued that politicians cannot truly understand the physical toll that manual labour takes on a person's body, particularly after decades of work.

Many suggested that these decision-makers try spending some time in the shoes of a tradie to get a genuine understanding of the issue at hand.

'The politicians all need to get out of their chairs and do a tradies' job for a week or two, then they will know what a bad back is and realise that the body won't let you work until you are 70.' one commenter proposed.

Another added, 'I would like to see all politicians work a week as a bricklayer, a boilermaker, a plumber, or a builder—doing what we did to 65, they couldn't for a week.'

The current pension eligibility age is 65 years and six months for Australians born between July 1, 1952, and December 31, 1953. For those born after this date, pension access starts no earlier than 66. For anyone born after January 1, 1957, the age will increase to 67 as of July 1.

Macquarie University Professor of Statistics Hanlin Shang suggests that the pension age may need to rise again to 70 by 2050 to keep government spending under control.

Professor Shang highlighted that the extended lifespan of Australians poses a challenge for the government in financing individuals' retirement needs through a pension scheme.

'Less people in the working group and more in retirement will make the old age dependency ratio (OADR) higher.' Professor Shang said.

'What this means is there are fewer working people to support elderly people. And with more elderly people in the population, this will create a burden for the government pension system.'

Key Takeaways
  • An image of a tradie holding a sign against raising the retirement age has gone viral and gained support from many Australians who oppose pension eligibility changes.
  • The sign reads, 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70.'
  • Many blue-collar workers are angered by the change as physically demanding labour becomes more difficult as they age.
  • Australia's pension age rose to 67 on July 1 this year, with research suggesting it will need to rise again to 70 by 2050.
It's essential to ensure the hardworking men and women who've dedicated their lives to their trade have their voices heard and their concerns addressed.

So, as our government wrestles with these issues, let's keep the conversation going and ensure the rights and concerns are fully considered.

Members, what are your thoughts on the image of the tradie holding the sign about working until the age of 70? Does this image and the sentiments expressed resonate with you?

Share your opinions and feelings about the changes in pension eligibility and the challenges workers face in physically demanding jobs.

Sponsored
Unless the vital piece of info that was left off this rubbish was that the person pictured is 32 years old, then this fluff story is not relevant to anyone that subscribes to this site. . What is the point of this. Superannuation is still accessible at 60, end of story. The only people that this will impact is a person in their 20 - 40's that does not have super. If that's the case then to bad, that was the choice you made. Far too much money is handed out in welfare in this country and it's only when someone gets close to receiving the aged pension and no longer needs to lodge their work search information do they then realise what they wasted in their early working life.
Then how does NZ afford everyone an age pension, but we with our resources cant??

superannuation (equivalent) does not exist in France.
It's laughable that those who have never done as they ask to be setting the rules. This is not even sensible practicably because it's based on cost and presumed life expectancy, and not reality. For those who want to work on the door is open. We all know what the French think of this idea, but in my mind, I'm afraid Australians are too apathetic on such issues. I applaud the man's character.

the NZ pension (called NZ super) is only for those that qualify, ie, live in Britain for the bulk of your working life, then move back to home land you will then be told you've NOT contributed so are not eligible for a full pension. It also changes as of 1Jul next year to further tighten the eligibility, so expect more Kiwis to move to Aust where they now qualify for the Aust aged pension.

You are forgetting that this 70 retirement does not apply to most of us we are retiring on average at 67 because you were born around the late 50's early 60's so you age hasn't changed, it really applies to young people who were born in the 70's on wards by small increments.
It doesn't concern us, is not really the way society enhances and advances itself, though hey.

Why make life harder for all that follow our generation, just because the leadership has bugger all ideas on how to properly manage our economy, and no interest at all it seems, in listening to anything, but its own self-serving factionalist opinion of how best to resolve the mess, that these opinions keep creating.

How ridiculous is this. On on hand they want to increase the pension age and on the other hand you are restricted to work after pension age. I had to stop heavy work in my late 50 and work now as delivery driver part time. After pension age I am now restricted to only a few hours per fortnight.

It doesn't concern us, is not really the way society enhances and advances itself, though hey.

Why make life harder for all that follow our generation, just because the leadership has bugger all ideas on how to properly manage our economy, and no interest at all it seems, in listening to anything, but its own self-serving factionalist opinion of how best to resolve the mess, that these opinions keep creating.
to surmise your 'comment' they pandered to a voter block and created the said situation you've described. Middle class welfare is the biggest mistake ever made in this country. Welfare for the current work force will not exist in 20 years time, if they don't provide for themselves in their working life, the taxpayer won't be giving them a lifestyle that they've become used to.

How ridiculous is this. On on hand they want to increase the pension age and on the other hand you are restricted to work after pension age. I had to stop heavy work in my late 50 and work now as delivery driver part time. After pension age I am now restricted to only a few hours per fortnight.
You're not restricted for working more hours, your payment from Centrelink will reduce (partially). Equally you will be required to lodge a tax return.

What a load of BS. I retired from full time work at around 74 years old after working in heavy industries since starting my apprenticeship as a Fitter and Turner and did not find the jobs to onerous.
A retirement age of 67 is an achievable retirement age for about 95% of the workforce and it would help Australia overcome its skills shortage and assist the general population keep pace with the inflation rate being experienced now and in the future.
There are many different reasons that some people continue working After their official (!) retirement age, my husband is one of them, he will turn 70 in October and at the moment has no intention of retiring he enjoys his job, in particular the social aspect of it, he is a real people person and is in excellent health with only the occasional pain from a repeated ankle injury that has never healed correctly. If I ask him when he thinks he might consider stopping work he tells me, that when he can no longer face getting up at 4am every morning to go to the depot and when the enjoyment in the job stops. He is very much valued at his work and enjoys the accolades he gets from the company that employs him and the majority of the members of his workcrews. I suspect that his need for constant approval in any physical work that he does, even around the home is another reason he wants to continue. Although I sometimes feel guilty that my poor health is a barrier for me to continue working, he is very happy to continue while he still can. He is extremely well known in his industry and it is so much a part of who he is that I do not know what he will do with himself when he eventually stops.

Australia copied the UK in raising the aged pension age, as they do for most social security decisions. They change the names of benefits to match UK names too.
Longer life expectancy does not translate into greater physical fitness in one's sixties, especially for those people who work in demanding jobs.
The change of age was introduced simply to save the government money.
The reason personal income tax was introduced was to pay pensions to people at 65. If that was revisited I think they'll find it should not have been changed without a referendum.

This is why I'm always saying get the young people who have lazed around on Welfare for longer than 2 years off their backsides and into the work force. We are going to be in a world of pain when these hard working trades people retire, there is nobody replacing them. Bring in National Guard and get them into some sort of Discipline.
Early Family, especially Parental involvement in guidance, education and life skills may well have avoided all of this.

We understand the value of a good retirement after years of hard work. We're always on the lookout for news that affects our members, specifically retirement-related concerns.

That's why we couldn't help but take notice of this image that's been doing the rounds on the internet. The image features a hardworking tradie holding up a sign that has resonated with many.

The sign reads, 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70.'

View attachment 23054
A photo of an Australian worker is being widely shared as outraged Australians respond to the suggestion of raising the pension age to 70. Source: Facebook

The photo comes in response to Australia's recent changes to pension eligibility.

The age at which Australians can access their pension has gradually risen from 65 to 67 as of July 1 this year.

This has triggered outrage among blue-collar workers who believe it's unjust to expect people nearing 70 to continue performing physically demanding labour.

Many Aussies feel strongly that this change asks too much of older workers, whose bodies may already feel the wear and tear from years of hard work.

Sharing their thoughts and experiences online, Australians have been voicing their concerns and rallying behind the message in the image.

'My body is just tired, as is my husband's, who is 66. We both need to just rest now. We had planned on retiring at 65. Then they changed the goalposts.' one person wrote in response to the photo.

Another echoed these sentiments, saying, 'I've worked 43 years as a butcher. I'm almost 65 years old, I think I've done enough, and my body agrees.'

View attachment 23055
Call for Politicians to Experience Tradies' Work Firsthand. Photo by August de Richelieu

Others have argued that politicians cannot truly understand the physical toll that manual labour takes on a person's body, particularly after decades of work.

Many suggested that these decision-makers try spending some time in the shoes of a tradie to get a genuine understanding of the issue at hand.

'The politicians all need to get out of their chairs and do a tradies' job for a week or two, then they will know what a bad back is and realise that the body won't let you work until you are 70.' one commenter proposed.

Another added, 'I would like to see all politicians work a week as a bricklayer, a boilermaker, a plumber, or a builder—doing what we did to 65, they couldn't for a week.'

The current pension eligibility age is 65 years and six months for Australians born between July 1, 1952, and December 31, 1953. For those born after this date, pension access starts no earlier than 66. For anyone born after January 1, 1957, the age will increase to 67 as of July 1.

Macquarie University Professor of Statistics Hanlin Shang suggests that the pension age may need to rise again to 70 by 2050 to keep government spending under control.

Professor Shang highlighted that the extended lifespan of Australians poses a challenge for the government in financing individuals' retirement needs through a pension scheme.

'Less people in the working group and more in retirement will make the old age dependency ratio (OADR) higher.' Professor Shang said.

'What this means is there are fewer working people to support elderly people. And with more elderly people in the population, this will create a burden for the government pension system.'

Key Takeaways

• An image of a tradie holding a sign against raising the retirement age has gone viral and gained support from many Australians who oppose pension eligibility changes.
  • The sign reads, 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70.'
  • Many blue-collar workers are angered by the change as physically demanding labour becomes more difficult as they age.
  • Australia's pension age rose to 67 on July 1 this year, with research suggesting it will need to rise again to 70 by 2050.
It's essential to ensure the hardworking men and women who've dedicated their lives to their trade have their voices heard and their concerns addressed.

So, as our government wrestles with these issues, let's keep the conversation going and ensure the rights and concerns are fully considered.

Members, what are your thoughts on the image of the tradie holding the sign about working until the age of 70? Does this image and the sentiments expressed resonate with you?

Share your opinions and feelings about the changes in pension eligibility and the challenges workers face in physically demanding jobs.

I retired at age 65,not because i wanted to but the industry i worked in did not have superanuation beyond 65. i would have worked longer as the work i did was enjoyable and not too hard on the body but i totally agree with the manual labour workers who have generally spent most of their working lives in jobs which require hard stress on the body need to retire at 65.

Following 20years of High School teaching, I began my own fencing business.....still doing it now, at 75years of age. All hand tools: vis., crowbar and shovel for every post hole, wire strainers and pliers, chainsaws and nail guns.... Doing it every day.... and you don't feel 'old'.

Not a load of BS as you put it. Depends on the particular previous job, your physical capabilities at a certain age and your general health. You might be one of the luckier ones but there are many that can’t keep going due to their health.

Get more young ones into trades where possible, is the answer - but not everyone is a ‘trade capable’ person, so there is a dilemma here. Fit, but capable or lazy - finding the right job to fit your ability. It’s a circle that has no beginning and no end.
Well said. People who are strong and have experienced little pain or adversity just don't know their luck. I am one of the luckier ones but I see many others in my family suffer while they push themselves to work. They will not be in any condition to work till they're 65, let alone 70.

Yes, But we certainly need SOMETHING to get some people into the Workforce instead of lazing through life on Welfare.
I must be living on a different planet. I know few people living on welfare, except for the very ill. Most people I know want to work even those who have painful conditions.

View attachment 23054

View attachment 23055

Key Takeaways

I feel for him. My son is a brickie. All day out in the sun laying bricks is very hard on the body. He's 44 and has back and shoulder/elbow problems and I can't imagine what shape he'll be in by 67 let alone 70.

Reactions: joshram
I worked as a disability support worker for 22 years. As much as I loved the job the body said ENOUGH! I am not eligible for a pension until September next year and I’m using my super until then, my husband retired a year ago and gets a pension. I can struggle through for a couple of years but I can’t imagine what I would do if I had to stretch my super out for an extra three years. My Dad worked hard all his working life, he retired at 65 and got three weeks of retirement before he died. It was so unfair. I think if you are able to work till beyond retirement age then good on you and it should be encouraged but many struggle to make it especially when they keep shifting the goalpost.
The age of 65 was chosen because most men died within a year or two of that age. The policy makers would not have thought that people would live to the age most of us expect to live these days. Added to living longer we need more medical support which is expensive. Nevertheless, we need to look at ways of providing adequately for our old age as most people will not be in a condition to work at 70.

You are forgetting that this 70 retirement does not apply to most of us we are retiring on average at 67 because you were born around the late 50's early 60's so you age hasn't changed, it really applies to young people who were born in the 70's on wards by small increments.
Are you saying that because we're 'safe' we shouldn't concern ourselves with this issue? I am concerned for my children who work full-time despite challenges. They will be physically exhausted long before 70.

You're not restricted for working more hours, your payment from Centrelink will reduce (partially). Equally you will be required to lodge a tax return.
Yes but what is the point of working some hours if you can get them to enhance your quality of living or what ever the case may be, when you are on the Age Pension because they take half of it back again as in reducing your Pension, it's a lose situation for us and win win for Centrelink and Tax man. I think and I'm quite sure someone will come down on me like a tonne of bricks if I'm wrong, BUT isn't Australia the only country in the world that MAKES your employer pay for your retirement, remember it doesn't come out of your pocket it comes from your BOSS, that is why sooooooo many businesses shut when pay rises are given, they have to find money for pay rise and the appropriate percentage for Super, sure you can contribute, but when it first started it was all the companies money.

View attachment 23054

View attachment 23055

Key Takeaways

I just received pension 4weeks ago I was born in 1956, I had to be 66 and 6mths before I got the pension and in the meantime I was pressured to find a job, it's absolutely ridiculous that from the age of 15yrs working in factors on 65ton presses, with the sound they made would deafen you. warehouseing driving forklifts loading and unloading semis pick and packing and even for the Australian defence apperal. At 55yrs I couldn't get a job as a forklift driver because I was to old and also I was a woman, so I had to back to school and I became an Age care worker that job was even harder mentally and physically. That's the thanks you get from the government for over 50yrs of working