This parking sign is so confusing it duped seasoned TV reporter Eddy Meyer

Parking can be a tricky affair, especially if the street signs are confusing for drivers.

Last October 2, a number of vehicles parked on York Street, in Sydney’s CBD,—including the car of Channel 9’s veteran reporter Eddy Meyer—were towed after falling victim to an impossibly complicated parking sign.

Mr Meyer parked on the street that morning at 10:30 a.m. when he noticed the baffling sign.

The bright yellow sign announced a clearway from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. on September 30, October 1 and October 2. Below it, the standard sign listed a mix of parking rules for the area—a 4-hour parking zone, loading zone, bus zone, and no stopping zone.

photo (22).jpg
Channel 9 reporter Eddy Meyer’s car was towed due to a confusing sign in Sydney’s Central Business District. Credit: @eddy_meyer/X (Twitter)

‘We know that street well, we know when we can park there and when we can't,’ Mr Meyer said on a radio program.

He mentioned that he only expected to be there for an hour to record a news segment, explaining: ‘Normally you can park there for four hours, and that's what the sign said, we looked at the clearway sign, and we thought we were clear.’

Along with his cameraman, Hamish, they bought a parking ticket from the machine.

However, when they returned, their car—along with others parked nearby—had been towed away. It turned out the opaque ‘special event’ notice actually meant no parking for 55 hours straight—from 2 p.m. Saturday to 9 p.m. Monday night.

The reporter shared his frustration on social media and addressed the city: ‘Are you serious with this sign?!! Car was towed even though the machine gave us a ticket.’

You can read his full post here:

Screenshot 2023-10-05 112819.png
Credit: @eddy_meyer/X (Twitter)

His followers empathised, with many saying the sign made no sense.

'No reasonable person could read that special event restriction as meaning the 55 hours between 2 p.m. Saturday and 9 p.m. Monday,' one commented.

‘Why would normal parking restrictions apply outside those times? I think you’d have a good case to challenge the towing fee and any fine that was applied,’ another suggested.

The next day, October 3, Mr Meyer gave an update about the whole situation. He confirmed that he was indeed parked legally, which is the reason why the ticket machine had allowed them to pay in the first place.

But he also clarified that Transport for New South Wales had put the ‘Special Event’ clearway sign up, not the city of Sydney.

You can read his update here:

Screenshot 2023-10-05 113802.png

Former Parking Inspector Arthur Birch also weighed in on the issue, telling a radio program that ‘all councils have to use the Australian standards. And, that states that where a sign has 2pm to 9pm that means on whatever day it refers to. So, it's clearly a case where it should only be applied from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.’.

His followers on social media were relieved to hear the update, with one writing: ‘Great to hear you have part of this sorted. I hate to think how much this would have cost if you didn’t stand up to them.’

‘An average [person] would have no hope in h*** of getting a favourable outcome like this one,’ another claimed.

This issue is not only present in Sydney. As one of Mr Meyer’s followers recounted, it also happened to him in another state.

‘I got stiffed on a similar one in Hawthorn, Victoria. No towing but a wildly complicated sign spanning over multiple days, which threw me off,’ he shared.

In Queensland, another confusing parking sign was also spotted. It garnered the attention of social media users, with many speculating on its meaning. You can read the full story here.

Key Takeaways
  • A confusing parking sign resulted in Channel 9's Eddy Meyer and crew having their car towed while filming in Sydney's CBD.
  • The sign indicated the area as being a special event clearway, a four-hour parking zone, a loading zone, a bus zone, and a no-stopping zone. However, the clearway timeframe was misunderstood.
  • Meyer's post about the incident on social media garnered support from others who found the sign's wording confusing and suggested he dispute any fines applied.
  • On October 3, Meyer confirmed that he had parked legally and was trying to cancel the fine and charges, noting that the Special Event clearway sign had been put up by Transport for NSW, not the City of Sydney.

Have you fallen victim to a confusing parking sign? Share your stories and top parking tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
Many eons ago, when I was a P-plater, I parked on Clarence Street in Sydney. I put 4 x 5 cent pieces into the parking meter for one hour parking. I got back 50 minutes later to find a parking ticket with something like "parking in a clearway" for the reason. I went to Downing (sp?) Centre Court to contest it some weeks later.
The place was packed and my case was heard about 1 pm. I explained the circumstances to the magistrate, stating that the meter had accepted an hour's worth of parking to which I complied with. If parking was not available for that time, why did the meter accept the amount I tendered. I may as well of been talking to a brick wall and I'm sure the beak did not hear one word I said.
So the result was a dismissal of the appeal and a doubling of the fine plus court costs. About 40 something dollars all up and a HUGE piece out of my weekly wage back in 1977. :mad:

Forget about 15 min city conspiracy - we already living in one the only difference that instead of 15 min we are in 1 hour, 2 hours or 4 hours depending on parking rules. Greedy city councils policies are driving potential customers from shoppers and all major shopping centres trying to get parking money for the privilege to shop in them. Outcome - more people would chose to shop online and we will see more gost places like abandon shopping malls in US.

I don't see what's so confusing. It's a special events sign and then there is a no stopping sign between 6 am and 10 am then between 3pm to 8om it becomes a bus lane which everyone knows you can't park in a bus lane.

so the only time you can park is between 10am and 3pm.

and who drives into the city anyway. The only time I drove in was for early morning meetings and there was track work, and that was parking in the parking stations and $18 all day parking on a Saturday

It'not rocket science .
What I hate the most is when a sign is covered with a bush.

Last edited:
I don't see what's so confusing. It's a special events sign and then there is a no stopping sign between 6 am and 10 am then between 3pm to 8om it becomes a bus lane which everyone knows you can't park in a bus lane.

and who drives into the city anyway. The only time I drove in was for early morning meetings and there was track work, and that was parking in the parking stations and $18 all day parking on a Saturday

It'not rocket science .
What I hate the most is when a sign is covered with a bush.
that's how I read it too.

Reactions: Clancieblue
Eddy isn't much on the details, explains why he's employed by a tabloid TV 'news(?)' entertainment show. If in doubt, don't park there. Read this article, but not sure I read what time they parked (assuming the special event was the football GF). I think it should have said from from 30Sept to 2Oct inclusive and left out the 1Oct.

Reactions: Macarj and WADuck
In my humble opinion, the reporter's vehicle should not have been towed away ..... red sign stipulated 6.00am - 10am. This bloke parked his vehicle at 10.30am. How can this be fair??

Dear Suzanne Rose - you wrote -
Yes, well the guy parked at 10.30am
When I went to school, 1030am was AFTER 10.00am and BEFORE 3.00pm.
No, I didn't do Rocket Science at school, but, apparently neither did YOU !

Reactions: Marj53
Parking can be a tricky affair, especially if the street signs are confusing for drivers.

Last October 2, a number of vehicles parked on York Street, in Sydney’s CBD,—including the car of Channel 9’s veteran reporter Eddy Meyer—were towed after falling victim to an impossibly complicated parking sign.

Mr Meyer parked on the street that morning at 10:30 a.m. when he noticed the baffling sign.

The bright yellow sign announced a clearway from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. on September 30, October 1 and October 2. Below it, the standard sign listed a mix of parking rules for the area—a 4-hour parking zone, loading zone, bus zone, and no stopping zone.

View attachment 31498
Channel 9 reporter Eddy Meyer’s car was towed due to a confusing sign in Sydney’s Central Business District. Credit: @eddy_meyer/X (Twitter)

‘We know that street well, we know when we can park there and when we can't,’ Mr Meyer said on a radio program.

He mentioned that he only expected to be there for an hour to record a news segment, explaining: ‘Normally you can park there for four hours, and that's what the sign said, we looked at the clearway sign, and we thought we were clear.’

Along with his cameraman, Hamish, they bought a parking ticket from the machine.

However, when they returned, their car—along with others parked nearby—had been towed away. It turned out the opaque ‘special event’ notice actually meant no parking for 55 hours straight—from 2 p.m. Saturday to 9 p.m. Monday night.

The reporter shared his frustration on social media and addressed the city: ‘Are you serious with this sign?!! Car was towed even though the machine gave us a ticket.’

You can read his full post here:

View attachment 31500

His followers empathised, with many saying the sign made no sense.

'No reasonable person could read that special event restriction as meaning the 55 hours between 2 p.m. Saturday and 9 p.m. Monday,' one commented.

‘Why would normal parking restrictions apply outside those times? I think you’d have a good case to challenge the towing fee and any fine that was applied,’ another suggested.

The next day, October 3, Mr Meyer gave an update about the whole situation. He confirmed that he was indeed parked legally, which is the reason why the ticket machine had allowed them to pay in the first place.

But he also clarified that Transport for New South Wales had put the ‘Special Event’ clearway sign up, not the city of Sydney.

You can read his update here:

View attachment 31499

Former Parking Inspector Arthur Birch also weighed in on the issue, telling a radio program that ‘all councils have to use the Australian standards. And, that states that where a sign has 2pm to 9pm that means on whatever day it refers to. So, it's clearly a case where it should only be applied from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.’.

His followers on social media were relieved to hear the update, with one writing: ‘Great to hear you have part of this sorted. I hate to think how much this would have cost if you didn’t stand up to them.’

‘An average [person] would have no hope in h*** of getting a favourable outcome like this one,’ another claimed.

This issue is not only present in Sydney. As one of Mr Meyer’s followers recounted, it also happened to him in another state.

‘I got stiffed on a similar one in Hawthorn, Victoria. No towing but a wildly complicated sign spanning over multiple days, which threw me off,’ he shared.

In Queensland, another confusing parking sign was also spotted. It garnered the attention of social media users, with many speculating on its meaning. You can read the full story here.

Key Takeaways

• A confusing parking sign resulted in Channel 9's Eddy Meyer and crew having their car towed while filming in Sydney's CBD.
  • The sign indicated the area as being a special event clearway, a four-hour parking zone, a loading zone, a bus zone, and a no-stopping zone. However, the clearway timeframe was misunderstood.
  • Meyer's post about the incident on social media garnered support from others who found the sign's wording confusing and suggested he dispute any fines applied.
  • On October 3, Meyer confirmed that he had parked legally and was trying to cancel the fine and charges, noting that the Special Event clearway sign had been put up by Transport for NSW, not the City of Sydney.

Have you fallen victim to a confusing parking sign? Share your stories and top parking tips in the comments below!
The sign stated 2-9 pm on those 3 days not 2 pm from the 30/9 to 9 pm 2/10. Sign wrongly printed

Reactions: Marj53
I worked as a Volunteer for a Local Council who supplied a Name badge with their Logo. I OCCAISIONALLY had fun, with the right type of People, when I "Policed" the 15 Min Parking Bays. When People came back to their Car to drive away, I would say "Sorry you can't go yet this is a 15 Min Bay and you have only been here 10Mins. You will have to wait or receive an Infringement Notice". Had so many Giggle discussions.