This little-known road rule could cost you a $600 fine

Driving on any road can be pretty dangerous, so it's important to do everything we can to stay safe while behind the wheel.

This is also the reason there are so many rules and regulations on the road; there seems to be a law for everything, and it can be confusing to keep track of them all.

One rule that you might not be aware of is the one that prohibits drivers from eating behind the wheel. Yep, that's right – if you're caught chowing down on your lunch while driving, you could be slapped with a hefty fine.

The penalty falls under the state's driver distraction penalties, which also apply to using your phone, putting on makeup, and more. In Queensland, you can be fined $575 and docked three demerit points if you're caught breaking this rule.

'Make sure you're not one-handing the wheel or taking your eyes off the road to eat,' Queensland's Department of Transport and Main Roads wrote in a Facebook post.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 11.57.08 AM.png
Australian drivers are being warned of a little-known road rule that could result in a hefty fine and a loss of three demerit points. Credit: Facebook.

While this may come as a surprise to some people, it turns out that this isn't actually a new rule – it's just being newly enforced.

And Queensland isn't the only state where you could get penalised for munching on your morning commute. In 2018, a Perth teenager was slapped with a $300 fine and lost three demerit points after she was caught shovelling down a bowl of cereal behind the wheel. (Ouch! That was one expensive breakfast…)

The 19-year-old was later blasted by the state's top cop on local radio. 'You can't be driving a car and eating your brekkie at the same time. That is just ridiculously dangerous,' former WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson told local radio station 6PR at the time.

Similarly, in NSW, drivers caught eating or drinking could be fined $469 and docked three demerit points.

Eating or drinking doesn't have its own rule in the Northern Territory but can be considered careless driving, which carries its own penalties, including fines up to $150 and loss of licence, as well as insurance hikes.

In South Australia, drivers can be fined $201 if they are found to be swerving or otherwise not maintaining adequate control of their vehicle; in the Australian Capital Territory, that same offence carries a punishment of $301.

If you're caught driving while distracted by eating or drinking in Tasmania, you'll have to pay a $173 fine and lose three demerit points.

While not technically against the law in Victoria, it is considered reckless driving if eating or drinking (non-alcoholic) beverages while behind the wheel causes an accident.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 11.57.16 AM.png
A teenager from Perth was caught having breakfast while driving. Credit: 9News.

Needless to say, not everyone is happy about this news.

Some people argue that there are much more important things that police should be focusing on (like catching speeding drivers), and others simply don't see how eating or drinking could possibly be considered as dangerous as other activities like using your phone or taking your eyes off the road completely.

In the comments section of the Facebook post, one person even asked: 'How can you fine people for “distractions” like this when billboards on the sides of roads are actually designed to distract drivers with their LED displays and bright colours?'

Yikes… we definitely wouldn't want to risk getting pulled over for something like this! For now, it's probably best to just stick to having our breakfast at home before we head out for the day.

What do you think about this, members? Do you agree that this can be unfair to drivers, or do you think it's reasonable that this rule is being strictly enforced these days? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Sponsored
I suppose it also depends on what you eat or drink! A sandwich(apple/biscuit in one hand doesnt mean you have to take the eyes of the road, a sip of water (as long as you dont have to unscrew a bottle!) should also be ok. But spooning something up (like Yoghurt or Cereals), worrying it might end up on your lap and business clothes, or a hot coffee (there have been absolutely horrifying accidents with boiling hot coffees where the lids came off and the coffee ended up on sensible body parts!)... Again: common sense should prevent people from doing that!!!
Common sense? What’s that??(😂😂😂)

Reactions: Zemo and Ricci
I will put my hand up to both eating and drinking whilst driving (but not both at the same time!). It doesn't happen on short journeys, everyone could last an hour or two for goodness sake. Having had an ordinary license for more years than I care to remember and a racing license for a goodly number of those years too, so far both unblemished I can see I'm going to have to modify the times for long haul trips to allow for proper pit-stops!!:)

Reactions: Zemo
I don't know how many people are aware of this but in Victoria it is illegal to have a pet sitting on your lap while you are driving a vehicle, if seen by the police you will cop (pardon the pun) a fine I don't know how much but I know that it is a something that will cop a fine.
Only one answer to that ... effwits who drive with an animal in their lap deserve all that happens to them -- fine, accident, running off the road, whatever.

Reactions: Ricci
I don't know how many people are aware of this but in Victoria it is illegal to have a pet sitting on your lap while you are driving a vehicle, if seen by the police you will cop (pardon the pun) a fine I don't know how much but I know that it is a something that will cop a fine.
Well, who would be silly enough to have a pet sitting on their lap while driving.

what I don't understand is why you can get "done" for using a mobile phone or a 2way radio when taxi drivers and truck drivers and others (including police) do it all the time, seems a bit "unfair" to me, even changing station or volume on the car radio is a no-no. AND if it is said that by listening to the radio or phone is lacking concentration then the same can be said about using a "hands-free" device.
AND when it all boil;s down to it, then having a conversation with someone in the car can be classed as being a distraction as you are not concentrating fully on your driving but more on what is being said and your reply.
When I was learning to drive my instructor used to hold a conversation with me during the lesson, saying that once I had my licence I would be conversing with my passengers, so I needed to get used it and not allow the conversation to distract me. I think there’s a difference between eating a chocolate or the like and eating your breakfast or lunch on the go. Although . . . why do we have drive-through at Maccas, etc? And we have to take one hand off the wheel to change gears, operate the wipers and indicators. Let common sense prevail,if you have any! 🤣

Insane and dangerous to stop people eating while driving. On long journeys it keeps me awake and focussed to suck on barley sugar while driving.

Driving on any road can be pretty dangerous, so it's important to do everything we can to stay safe while behind the wheel.

This is also the reason there are so many rules and regulations on the road; there seems to be a law for everything, and it can be confusing to keep track of them all.

One rule that you might not be aware of is the one that prohibits drivers from eating behind the wheel. Yep, that's right – if you're caught chowing down on your lunch while driving, you could be slapped with a hefty fine.

The penalty falls under the state's driver distraction penalties, which also apply to using your phone, putting on makeup, and more. In Queensland, you can be fined $575 and docked three demerit points if you're caught breaking this rule.

'Make sure you're not one-handing the wheel or taking your eyes off the road to eat,' Queensland's Department of Transport and Main Roads wrote in a Facebook post.

View attachment 8316
Australian drivers are being warned of a little-known road rule that could result in a hefty fine and a loss of three demerit points. Credit: Facebook.

While this may come as a surprise to some people, it turns out that this isn't actually a new rule – it's just being newly enforced.

And Queensland isn't the only state where you could get penalised for munching on your morning commute. In 2018, a Perth teenager was slapped with a $300 fine and lost three demerit points after she was caught shovelling down a bowl of cereal behind the wheel. (Ouch! That was one expensive breakfast…)

The 19-year-old was later blasted by the state's top cop on local radio. 'You can't be driving a car and eating your brekkie at the same time. That is just ridiculously dangerous,' former WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson told local radio station 6PR at the time.

Similarly, in NSW, drivers caught eating or drinking could be fined $469 and docked three demerit points.

Eating or drinking doesn't have its own rule in the Northern Territory but can be considered careless driving, which carries its own penalties, including fines up to $150 and loss of licence, as well as insurance hikes.

In South Australia, drivers can be fined $201 if they are found to be swerving or otherwise not maintaining adequate control of their vehicle; in the Australian Capital Territory, that same offence carries a punishment of $301.

If you're caught driving while distracted by eating or drinking in Tasmania, you'll have to pay a $173 fine and lose three demerit points.

While not technically against the law in Victoria, it is considered reckless driving if eating or drinking (non-alcoholic) beverages while behind the wheel causes an accident.

View attachment 8317

Some people argue that there are much more important things that police should be focusing on (like catching speeding drivers), and others simply don't see how eating or drinking could possibly be considered as dangerous as other activities like using your phone or taking your eyes off the road completely.

In the comments section of the Facebook post, one person even asked: 'How can you fine people for “distractions” like this when billboards on the sides of roads are actually designed to distract drivers with their LED displays and bright colours?'

Yikes… we definitely wouldn't want to risk getting pulled over for something like this! For now, it's probably best to just stick to having our breakfast at home before we head out for the day.

What do you think about this, members? Do you agree that this can be unfair to drivers, or do you think it's reasonable that this rule is being strictly enforced these days? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!
Lucky they they weren't one of us 1940/1960, Army/military drivers who grabbed and ate a snack when possible. And driving.

View attachment 8316

View attachment 8317

If you have one hand on the steering wheel in a rural area with maybe minor traffic on the road and you are still n control of your vehicle then go for it. If you are in 'going home time' rush hour traffic and are eating a late lunch bun/roll/sandwich/cake requiring your attention then pull over to the side of the road and finish it off before you kill someone else in an accident. Nobody cares what happens to the stupid d******d that you are but there will be others glad to get home safely, well out of the way of your selfiish stupidity. The middle position is for you to decide!!!

You can’t use a handheld mobile phone, drink a drink or munch on tucker but it is ok to use a two-way radio. Technically, a mobile phone IS a two-way radio.

View attachment 8316

View attachment 8317

I am suffer from tipe 2 of Diabetes, so almost all the time carried with me a small bottle of water, because I fill deshidrate and need to drink some water to keep me fine while I am driving for long distance (1hour o more) so Next time can be fined for drink water??? I think it is not correct.

View attachment 8316

View attachment 8317

There are enough traffic lights people go through while on the road so why not wait until you are at a red light to take a bite on that roll or take a drink.
Used to see a gent living in a classy area pass us every morning when l worked for the Water Corp, who we were told had a high profile job. As he passed & without fail, was using a cordless shaver to have a shave.

• Sad
I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the government's iniquitous practice of automatic fines imposed on people carrying mobiles who are snapped by the overhead revenue raisers on the roads. If you're "caught", you're automatically guilty, with no comeback. The phone is touching your body, as the law is lettered, so you're deemed (love that word) to be breaking the law without any necessity for the police or magistrate to prove otherwise. As I said in an earlier post, isn't the presumption that you're "innocent until proven guilty" a basic tenet of the law? Who proves you've broken the law -- a policeman or a camera? Nobody! It seems to be accepted that that particular way of raising money is a godsend for the politicians who wrote and approved this legislation, who don't have to do a thing to make sure that easy extra money pours into the government's coffers.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
There are enough traffic lights people go through while on the road so why not wait until you are at a red light to take a bite on that roll or take a drink.
Used to see a gent living in a classy area pass us every morning when l worked for the Water Corp, who we were told had a high profile job. As he passed & without fail, was using a cordless shaver to have a shave.
If you’re on a long haul drive without traffic lights on the open road, there’s a fair chance you’re going to want to have a bottle of water at your side.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci