This is the last straw: Younger generation swears by this device to stay wrinkle-free

Every generation has its own set of tricks and trends in the quest for eternal youth and beauty.

The younger generation, who were born between 1997 and 2012, brought with them a rather peculiar tool: the 'anti-wrinkle straw’.

This device has taken social media by storm, with many young influencers claiming it's their secret weapon against the early signs of aging.

The anti-wrinkle straw is not your average drinking straw.

It's a hooklike apparatus designed to minimise the pursing of lips, which, according to its proponents, should theoretically reduce the formation of perioral wrinkles.

photo (2).jpg
Younger generations swear by this anti-wrinkle straw. Credit: @bigg_sal and @rachelmadisoncarlisle / TikTok

The idea is that by avoiding the repetitive motion of pursing lips, which is typical when using a traditional straw, one can prevent the fine lines that might develop around the mouth.

However, the effectiveness of this bizarre device is under scrutiny. Medical experts, including Dr Leah Totton of Dr Leah Cosmetic Skin Clinics, have expressed scepticism.

‘There is no scientific evidence as to whether anti-wrinkle straws are an effective method of preventing perioral wrinkles—also, some slight pursing of the lips is still involved,’ Dr Totton said.

‘You would have to be drinking through a normal straw very often for this to contribute to the formation of perioral wrinkles.’

Other factors, such as sun exposure, the natural loss of collagen during aging, and smoking, are well-established contributors to the development of wrinkles.

Dr Daniel Hunt, founder and director of Imperial Aesthetics, also weighed in.

‘Might they help in the short term? Yes, as anything that slows down the [ageing] process a little will do something,’ he said.

‘But do I think they’ll cause dramatically less of these lines in 30 years? No.’

Despite the lack of scientific backing, the anti-wrinkle straw has become sensational on social media, with videos about the gadget amassing over 350 million views.

Users like @bigg_sal and Rachel Carlisle have shared their experiences with mixed reviews.

‘I tried it out. I think it’s OK,’ @bigg_sal said.

‘When I saw it, I was really confused how I was gonna learn how to use it,’ Rachel Carlisle shared.

‘It looks really odd while using, but, I mean, if I stay looking youthful.’

You can watch Rachel Carlisle’s video below:

Credit: @rachelmadisoncarlisle / TikTok

Some find the straw awkward to use.

‘Anti-wrinkle straw to look younger, but it’s giving I have a rare incurable disease,’ one person said.

‘This looks like it will give you worse wrinkles I’m confused,’ said another.

The trend isn't limited to the younger generation.

Older social media users, such as 54-year-old social media personality Cristina with no H had also adopted the straw, suggesting its appeal spans beyond the younger crowd.

Despite the hype, Dr Totton advised focusing on proven anti-aging strategies.

These include wearing sunscreen, getting adequate sleep, and reducing alcohol intake and smoking. These lifestyle choices have a more substantial impact on skin health and are backed by scientific research.

You can watch Cristina with no H’s video below:

Credit: @cristina.noh / TikTok

In a previous story, there’s also another interesting method to stay wrinkle-free.

This method made her skin ‘so soft’ and even praised its pleasant smell. But what she used was something surprising—old produce.

But what was the old produce? Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Younger generations are using an 'anti-wrinkle straw', a viral beauty trend that many believe can help prevent wrinkles from forming around the mouth.
  • Experts have stated that there is no scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of anti-wrinkle straws in preventing perioral wrinkles.
  • Everyday actions such as laughing and talking also contribute to facial wrinkles, and minimal use of the straws is unlikely to make a significant difference.
  • Health and skin experts advise that the best ways to avoid premature ageing include wearing sunscreen, getting enough sleep, and reducing alcohol intake and smoking, rather than relying on anti-wrinkle straws.
Is the anti-wrinkle straw a clever innovation or just another fad? Have you come across any unusual anti-aging gadgets or tips that you swear by? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored