Woman uses old produce as natural Botox: is it effective?

We're always on the lookout for alternative ways to fight the effects of ageing, especially ones that can save us a few dollars.

We coulnd’t help but be intrigued by one interesting method shared by Kendall Rae Kan, who uses old produce to stay wrinkle-free!

Kan raved about the benefits of the practice she adopted after stumbling upon a video online.

‘So, I actually came across this video that said cucumbers are really good for your skin, and for inflammation, and full of vitamins and it is actually a natural Botox,’ she said.

‘About nine times out of 10 that I buy cucumbers, I forget that I have them I end up throwing them away.’

Botox injections contain neurotoxins that work to weaken facial muscles, thereby reducing the appearance of wrinkles. It can also be used to treat migraines and other conditions.

'From now on, instead of throwing away the cucumbers that I forget about in the fridge, I'm going to freeze them, which is what I did earlier. I peeled... cut them in halves and freeze them,' Kan said.

FB resize 164.jpg
Kendall Rae K uses frozen cucumber to keep her wrinkles away. Credit: @kendallraekan / TikTok

Kan shared that she applies the frozen cucumbers after using her ice roller, a beauty tool for combatting puffiness on the face.

Kan said her skin was ‘so soft’ after using her cucumber trick and praised its pleasant smell..

But While Kendall and many others swear by cucumbers for alleged skin benefits, dermatologists caution that cucumbers certainly aren't a 'natural Botox'.

'Cucumbers cannot be used as a “natural Botox” and do not exert any neuromodulator effects on the muscle,' Texas-based Dermatologist Dr Jean Charles explained.

‘Botox works by blocking presynaptic release of acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction causing temporary paralysis of the affected muscle,’ she added.

Dermatologist Dr Lindsey Zubritsky agreed with Dr Charles.

‘Using cucumbers on the skin is unlikely to be dangerous, but it won't give Botox-like results,' she said.

‘If you want to use cucumbers for the skin, be sure to have realistic expectations on what it can and cannot accomplish,’ she continued.

While frozen cucumbers are not replacements for Botox, they may have some ‘minor benefits’ on the skin, such as lessening inflammation.

‘The coolness helps to constrict blood vessels… Cucumbers are also quite hydrating and contain vitamin K, which can both help to moisturise the skin and improve blood circulation while reducing dark circles,’ Dr Zubritsky said.

According to Dermatologist Dr Jenny Liu, ‘Cucumbers naturally have hydrating, soothing, and anti-inflammatory ingredients and can certainly improve skin hydration and thereby temporarily reduce fine lines.’

If you’re searching for other remedies to smoothen your skin different from Botox injections, Dr Liu advised to always use sunscreen.

Dr Charles confirmed this and said, ‘There are no good "natural remedies" for Botox… But if you don't want to do Botox, having a consistent skincare routine consisting of sunscreen and retinoids can help with fine lines & wrinkles.’

If ever you want to give Botox a go, make sure that you’re aware of the process before undergoing a session. In a previous article, a report revealed that there may be a potential danger to Botox—Botox immunity. Learn more about it here.

Key Takeaways

• Kendall Rae Kan, a social media personality from Texas, uses frozen cucumber as her 'natural Botox', claiming it helps with inflammation and is full of vitamins.
  • This method, she alleges, prevents waste as she uses forgotten cucumbers from her fridge in this way.
  • Dermatologists, however, have disputed the efficacy of Kan’s beauty method, stating that cucumbers cannot replace the effects of Botox and should not be viewed as such.
  • While cucumbers have hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties, dermatologists recommend consistent skincare routines, including sunscreen and retinoids, for fine lines and wrinkles.

Do you have alternative natural remedies to take care of your skin? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Beak : my mother when we where young she always said never go outside without putting sunscreen on face and body everyday sunny or not I am know 60 have lovely soft skin and have only fine smiling wrinkles. Everyone says that I look younger than my actual age and my hubby does it as well and he's 64 and look's like he's in his early fifties,so I say keep with cucumbers and sunscreen and look younger and smell lovely and fresh. That's what my mother and grand mother said and in my books that's 100% correct.

Beak : my mother when we where young she always said never go outside without putting sunscreen on face and body everyday sunny or not I am know 60 have lovely soft skin and have only fine smiling wrinkles. Everyone says that I look younger than my actual age and my hubby does it as well and he's 64 and look's like he's in his early fifties,so I say keep with cucumbers and sunscreen and look younger and smell lovely and fresh. That's what my mother and grand mother said and in my books that's 100% correct.
That's why it always pays to listen to mum, eh? :D

Reactions: Ezzy