This hidden food label danger almost cost a teenager’s life! A warning to all with dietary restrictions

For individuals with dietary restrictions, shopping for groceries and preparing meals can be daunting. Whether due to food allergies, intolerances, or medical conditions, these restrictions require a vigilant eye on the ingredients of every product consumed.

In some cases, even a small amount of an allergen or certain ingredients can trigger a severe reaction, putting the individual's life in danger.

What started as a seemingly innocent dinner quickly descended into a nightmare after a 14-year-old’s life-threatening allergic reaction resulted from a small detail on a food label missed by his mother.

Joanne Hagiliassis’ son is allergic to wheat and nuts, and so she usually takes extra precautions when it comes to reading food labels and preparing meals.

On February 8, the unsuspecting family made the mistake of assuming Woolworths’ Macro Free Range Australian Chicken Breast mini kebabs were made in the same way as the single packs of chicken breast she usually buys.

51d94420-d82b-11ed-b7df-d81fb550285f

The mum overlooked the allergen warning on the pack of Woolworths Free Range Australian Chicken Breast mini kebabs. Credit: Woolworths.

Unfortunately, the chicken kebabs contain a binding agent which includes wheat - one of the top eight allergens - and despite having a warning on the back of the packaging, as recommended by Food Standards ANZ, it wasn’t immediately obvious to the family.

Ms Hagiliassis shared: ‘When you live with food allergies you spend your whole life being very vigilant and trying to check labels to keep your child safe because the wrong ingredient can be fatal.’

'A lot of the time meat or chicken and other one-ingredient foods don't have an allergy label at all because they're one-ingredient, so I made the mistake to assume it had no label.'

Unfortunately, the mistake resulted in her son going into a terrifying anaphylactic shock and being hospitalised – an experience he is still 'healing' from today.

The mother continued: ‘The trauma of having an anaphylactic reaction, going to hospital, having an EpiPen and then another one in the ambulance stays with you for a while.’

Fortunately, after spending a night in the hospital, the 14-year-old survived the allergic reaction and was discharged, but with a newfound food aversion to chicken.

10 Most Common Food Allergens in Australia.jpg
Wheat is one of the most common food allergens in Australia. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Emphasising the seriousness of the incident, Ms Hagiliassis, who is also the founder of the charitable organisation Anaphylaxis Network Australia, urged people to check food labels diligently as the situation could occur to anyone.

She also claimed that other food allergies or coeliac community members believed the product was safe.

‘Families came forward and told me they made the same mistake,’ the mum shared.

Ms Hagiliassis issued a plea to Woolworths to make its labels 'more obvious' in order to help 'prevent other families from having serious reactions'.

‘I feel that our food labelling is good in Australia.’

‘I understand Woolworths did the minimum legally required thing to put the label on the back, but my concern is that this product was misleading.’

Woolworths took the plea seriously, making changes to the packaging in March. The new label now contains a large warning on the front of the packet stating the product contains wheat and gluten.

A spokesperson said: ‘We’ve taken the opportunity to update the packaging of our Macro Free Range Australian Chicken Breast mini kebabs.’

‘A new label stating the product contains wheat and gluten has been placed on the front of the packaging. This change has been in stores since March 2023.’

‘We encourage customers to check product packaging for a full list of ingredients before purchasing to ensure they adhere to dietary requirements or preferences.’

Ms Hagiliassis expressed her relief that the retailer took the matter seriously when asked how she felt about the change.

She remarked: ‘I'm glad they've taken the viewpoint that it could be potentially dangerous, or even fatal for someone who has that product.’

‘I'm just lucky my son survived the reaction. Anaphylaxis can be fatal, so it's very serious for us, and I'm glad they've done what I've asked them to do to make [the label] more obvious.’

This is not the first time a labelling mistake has endangered a consumer’s life. In this article, we shared how thousands of customers were put at risk due to a labelling mishap in a packet of instant noodles.

Key Takeaways
  • A teenager experienced a life-threatening allergic reaction due to a food label oversight by his mother.
  • Joanne Hagiliassis' son is allergic to wheat and nuts; however, the family mistakenly assumed that Woolworths’ Macro Free Range Australian Chicken Breast mini kebabs were safe for consumption.
  • The mother urged people to check food labels diligently and called on Woolworths to make their labels more obvious.
  • Woolworths has since updated its packaging with a large warning stating that the product contains wheat and gluten.

Members, this story is a stark reminder of how important it is to read food labels meticulously, particularly regarding allergens.

Over nine years, there have been 112 fatalities related to anaphylaxis in Australia, and thousands more individuals have been hospitalised due to food allergies and food-borne illnesses.

Make sure you’ve checked the ingredients before buying any food item, and if you can, contact the manufacturer directly to double-check if the product suits you.

Remember, even if that product was safe for you last time, it’s always possible that the formula has been changed or updated.

Should Woolworths and other retailers review the labelling of allergens in their products? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Also, if you or someone you know is dealing with food allergies or sensitivities, please share this article with them.

Sponsored
Four of my grandchildren have dairy allergies and need to carry epi pens.

I've been through this as my youngest have severe allergies to nuts , seafood and eggs .
So bad that when I cooked seafood one day she had a reaction from it just being in the air.

My grandson has been rushed to hospital a few times where something was labelled wrong ect.

My eldest son has bad allergies to Bee stings and needed 3 shots of Adrenalin with us the Epi pen. This alone made him so sick.

Anaphylactic reactions are so serious and potentially life threatening and can easily happen to those with allergies

why would fresh chicken have wheat added. Who in their right mind would even think about any additives to fresh meat. I picked up a roast chicken recently and saw that also has wheat!

• Sad
Reactions: Macarj and Gaena
It could be that the chicken has been fed wheat grains. I am sensitive to grain fed chicken but not sensitive to chicken which has been fed veggie scraps.

For individuals with dietary restrictions, shopping for groceries and preparing meals can be daunting. Whether due to food allergies, intolerances, or medical conditions, these restrictions require a vigilant eye on the ingredients of every product consumed.

In some cases, even a small amount of an allergen or certain ingredients can trigger a severe reaction, putting the individual's life in danger.

What started as a seemingly innocent dinner quickly descended into a nightmare after a 14-year-old’s life-threatening allergic reaction resulted from a small detail on a food label missed by his mother.

Joanne Hagiliassis’ son is allergic to wheat and nuts, and so she usually takes extra precautions when it comes to reading food labels and preparing meals.

On February 8, the unsuspecting family made the mistake of assuming Woolworths’ Macro Free Range Australian Chicken Breast mini kebabs were made in the same way as the single packs of chicken breast she usually buys.

51d94420-d82b-11ed-b7df-d81fb550285f

The mum overlooked the allergen warning on the pack of Woolworths Free Range Australian Chicken Breast mini kebabs. Credit: Woolworths.

Unfortunately, the chicken kebabs contain a binding agent which includes wheat - one of the top eight allergens - and despite having a warning on the back of the packaging, as recommended by Food Standards ANZ, it wasn’t immediately obvious to the family.

Ms Hagiliassis shared: ‘When you live with food allergies you spend your whole life being very vigilant and trying to check labels to keep your child safe because the wrong ingredient can be fatal.’

'A lot of the time meat or chicken and other one-ingredient foods don't have an allergy label at all because they're one-ingredient, so I made the mistake to assume it had no label.'

Unfortunately, the mistake resulted in her son going into a terrifying anaphylactic shock and being hospitalised – an experience he is still 'healing' from today.

The mother continued: ‘The trauma of having an anaphylactic reaction, going to hospital, having an EpiPen and then another one in the ambulance stays with you for a while.’

Fortunately, after spending a night in the hospital, the 14-year-old survived the allergic reaction and was discharged, but with a newfound food aversion to chicken.

View attachment 17262
Wheat is one of the most common food allergens in Australia. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Emphasising the seriousness of the incident, Ms Hagiliassis, who is also the founder of the charitable organisation Anaphylaxis Network Australia, urged people to check food labels diligently as the situation could occur to anyone.

She also claimed that other food allergies or coeliac community members believed the product was safe.

‘Families came forward and told me they made the same mistake,’ the mum shared.

Ms Hagiliassis issued a plea to Woolworths to make its labels 'more obvious' in order to help 'prevent other families from having serious reactions'.

‘I feel that our food labelling is good in Australia.’

‘I understand Woolworths did the minimum legally required thing to put the label on the back, but my concern is that this product was misleading.’

Woolworths took the plea seriously, making changes to the packaging in March. The new label now contains a large warning on the front of the packet stating the product contains wheat and gluten.

A spokesperson said: ‘We’ve taken the opportunity to update the packaging of our Macro Free Range Australian Chicken Breast mini kebabs.’

‘A new label stating the product contains wheat and gluten has been placed on the front of the packaging. This change has been in stores since March 2023.’

‘We encourage customers to check product packaging for a full list of ingredients before purchasing to ensure they adhere to dietary requirements or preferences.’

Ms Hagiliassis expressed her relief that the retailer took the matter seriously when asked how she felt about the change.

She remarked: ‘I'm glad they've taken the viewpoint that it could be potentially dangerous, or even fatal for someone who has that product.’

‘I'm just lucky my son survived the reaction. Anaphylaxis can be fatal, so it's very serious for us, and I'm glad they've done what I've asked them to do to make [the label] more obvious.’

This is not the first time a labelling mistake has endangered a consumer’s life. In this article, we shared how thousands of customers were put at risk due to a labelling mishap in a packet of instant noodles.

Key Takeaways

• A teenager experienced a life-threatening allergic reaction due to a food label oversight by his mother.
  • Joanne Hagiliassis' son is allergic to wheat and nuts; however, the family mistakenly assumed that Woolworths’ Macro Free Range Australian Chicken Breast mini kebabs were safe for consumption.
  • The mother urged people to check food labels diligently and called on Woolworths to make their labels more obvious.
  • Woolworths has since updated its packaging with a large warning stating that the product contains wheat and gluten.

Members, this story is a stark reminder of how important it is to read food labels meticulously, particularly regarding allergens.

Over nine years, there have been 112 fatalities related to anaphylaxis in Australia, and thousands more individuals have been hospitalised due to food allergies and food-borne illnesses.

Make sure you’ve checked the ingredients before buying any food item, and if you can, contact the manufacturer directly to double-check if the product suits you.

Remember, even if that product was safe for you last time, it’s always possible that the formula has been changed or updated.

Should Woolworths and other retailers review the labelling of allergens in their products? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Also, if you or someone you know is dealing with food allergies or sensitivities, please share this article with them.
For one the warning should on the front and second in big red writing. I don't have any allergies issues to food, but the warning labels are far too small. same goes for all ingredients list, it's so small.

Some people have to be extremely careful. I have to avoid any foods with any kind of legumes in them. Even premade soups like Pumpkin soup have lentils in the soup. The same with tin goods. The same with frozen meals that have peas, chick peas, etc ... In the ingredients section of the packet. I have to read and place many items back on the shelf, back into the freezer, cold section because of the ingredients. Fatal for me.