This 'disgusting' scene in Coles' loading dock has everyone outraged

Grocery shopping has never been more expensive; now, even Coles feels the heat. A video of a large skip of Coles' discarded products was captured in the loading dock of a busy Melbourne store, and it had viewers everywhere incensed.

The person who filmed the skip up close said it contained mostly 'toilet paper, dog food, and soft drinks' but also questioned why Coles couldn't donate the items instead.

Incensed, he posted a fuming video on social media that received close to 200,000 views.

'Coles Chadstone throwing their stock out due to a store refurbishment. No donation, not allowed to take from the bin,' he claimed. 'They're literally just throwing all their stock out... disgusting.'

FB resize 96.jpg
The video shows the grocery items Coles discarded in their loading dock. Credit: @danielwatowatson/TikTok

The video garnered comments from users who wanted the supermarket giant to explain their actions.

‘@Coles Let’s See you explain this,’ one user demanded.

‘I seem to be missing something.. Does TP expire?’ one comment asked.

‘That’s sad give to the food bank,’ another one suggested.

Coles defended their actions, claiming the products had to be discarded due to 'contamination'.

'We recently paused trading at our Chadstone store due to dust from nearby construction,' a spokesperson said. 'We have been conducting a deep clean of the store and, unfortunately, due to product safety and quality, need to dispose of a number of products due to contamination from the dust'.

However, some viewers weren't buying the explanation, with many criticising Coles for poor planning. Many questioned what 'health risk' could come of dust on sealed products such as toilet paper and how any of the products in the skip could be contaminated when most of them were individually packaged in plastic.

As many in our community manage their finances on a tight budget, it's no wonder this story has caused a stir.

Key Takeaways
  • A Chadstone Coles store has been criticised for discarding a large amount of stock, including items like toilet paper and dog food.
  • The products were allegedly disposed of due to contamination from dust during a store refurbishment.
  • A video posted on social media shows the amount of waste, leading to backlash and claims of 'disgusting' food waste by the supermarket giant.
  • Coles confirmed the disposal of the products due to contamination risks from nearby construction, but some online commenters questioned how sealed products could be contaminated by dust.

Watch the full video here:

Dear members, what do you think of this story? Should Coles discard the items? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
does toilet paper have use by date on it or were they just old stock and the new item dearer

Where did it say silica dust. Are you jumping to conclusions or I have I missed the bit about silica dust. Seems a bit off that there are not truckloads of contaminated goods being dumped. I also assume that there are other buildings neighboring the silica just source which will all need deep cleaning. Homes offices shops everything must go?
It was on the news reports & news services

Reactions: Julie1946
MOST if not ALL items sold these days are SHRINK WRAPPED. DONATE these items, UNLES these items have been damaged , EG, torn packaging.
It’s still dangerous, I don’t think it would be responsible to donate these with silica dust on them, they would be sued if someone got sick, it’s a crying shame to see that much food go to waste , but it’s a huge health risk.

If it was silica dust from a nearby construction it probably went into the store and through the air-conditioning as well therefore everything in the store could be contaminated. The rear of the stores are very open to the elements or the one I live next to is. And am NOT the disgusted brigade, obviously the version that I received is not the same as yours so you could be a little better mannered.
I was referring to the person who posted what s(he) filmed. I apologise for any offence I caused you.

I don't have much respect for Coles supermarket any more reason being I wanted a recharge for my mobile phone I said to the female on the till came over took my $45 vodafone when she gave it back to me I noticed a mistake she click the recharge it came out telsra recharge I said this is incorrect it should be for vodafone I ask the for a refund Coles refused to give me my money back.

They have! Ill- considered comments by the Disgusted Brigade as usual. Toilet paper? Silica dust does not discriminate. Everything must go. Heard of Health regulation? Think ahead to the Litigation Brigade....
If the problem was contamination with silica dust then surely the store would have had to make it publicly known to customers and employees that risk existed in this store. Wonder who was told.

It was on the news reports & news services
Don’t watch the news reports. Too depressing. Same old stories. War, politicians lies, corruption, the voice division, recalls, murder, rapes, car chase. Different time and place is only difference.

Grocery shopping has never been more expensive; now, even Coles feels the heat. A video of a large skip of Coles' discarded products was captured in the loading dock of a busy Melbourne store, and it had viewers everywhere incensed.

The person who filmed the skip up close said it contained mostly 'toilet paper, dog food, and soft drinks' but also questioned why Coles couldn't donate the items instead.

Incensed, he posted a fuming video on social media that received close to 200,000 views.

'Coles Chadstone throwing their stock out due to a store refurbishment. No donation, not allowed to take from the bin,' he claimed. 'They're literally just throwing all their stock out... disgusting.'

View attachment 26666
The video shows the grocery items Coles discarded in their loading dock. Credit: @danielwatowatson/TikTok

The video garnered comments from users who wanted the supermarket giant to explain their actions.

Coles defended their actions, claiming the products had to be discarded due to 'contamination'.

'We recently paused trading at our Chadstone store due to dust from nearby construction,' a spokesperson said. 'We have been conducting a deep clean of the store and, unfortunately, due to product safety and quality, need to dispose of a number of products due to contamination from the dust'.

However, some viewers weren't buying the explanation, with many criticising Coles for poor planning. Many questioned what 'health risk' could come of dust on sealed products such as toilet paper and how any of the products in the skip could be contaminated when most of them were individually packaged in plastic.

As many in our community manage their finances on a tight budget, it's no wonder this story has caused a stir.

Key Takeaways

• A Chadstone Coles store has been criticised for discarding a large amount of stock, including items like toilet paper and dog food.
  • The products were allegedly disposed of due to contamination from dust during a store refurbishment.
  • A video posted on social media shows the amount of waste, leading to backlash and claims of 'disgusting' food waste by the supermarket giant.
  • Coles confirmed the disposal of the products due to contamination risks from nearby construction, but some online commenters questioned how sealed products could be contaminated by dust.

Dear members, what do you think of this story? Should Coles discard the items? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

disgusting. anything wrapped is dust proof/

Reactions: Catherines
If Coles was contaminated by silica dust as some mentioned then why dispose of stock in open skips? Surely the truck drivers of those skips will be contaminated? Coles MUST throw the stuff out to claim insurance on "Damaged" stock its just all part of the write-down for bean counting

Par for the course for both Coles And Woollies. They don't give a toss about helping out charities or anyone else. They may well have been justified in this instance due to the significant dangers of Silica dust but there are many other ways they could assist those in need. The prices demanded by these grocery chains are outrageous when you compare their Australian prices to similar organisations overseas for the exact same products, many of which are manufactured in Australia. Our meat and vegetable products are far cheaper to purchase in almost every other country in the world. It's called the "Australia Tax". You live in Australia so you pay more. It really is that simple. Organisations and companies operating in Australia are able to set their own prices/fees and are mostly unregulated or self-regulated. Self reugulation in Australia equals GREED.

If these goods were contaminated with Silica dust or any other contaminant then the load should have been covered, not left exposed.

disgusting. anything wrapped is dust proof/
Inside might be ‘dust-proof’ as you say and I agree, but what about touching and breathing in the dust on the outside???? To get at the inside one must touch the outside!

Reactions: Kaylee
Just another excuse

coles I’s a big fat NO from me , don’t believe it was due to dust contamination they just took the easy was out arn’t we now just a throw away society these days. Let put a stop to this we’re going to become becoming a third world country If we’re not careful . Pull you sock up COLEs and think.about people not profits or waste everyone can use a helping hand why not donate it, I’m sure they’d andthe recipients would appreciate it .
AHH WELL......I keep telling people to stop shopping Coles or Woolies. This wastage will no doubt be added to your visits to the store...... you must have more money than sense.

View attachment 26666

Key Takeaways

Why didn’t they remove all the products beforehand🙀

How did it become contaminated, if that's the case they need to make that public so it's obvious why it is being disposed of.
It was made public, it was on the 6pm nightly news. And they clearly stated that it was contaminated with silica dust, unlike this article which only gives half the information!

Where did it say silica dust. Are you jumping to conclusions or I have I missed the bit about silica dust. Seems a bit off that there are not truckloads of contaminated goods being dumped. I also assume that there are other buildings neighboring the silica just source which will all need deep cleaning. Homes offices shops everything must go?
It was on channel 7 news!

View attachment 26666

Key Takeaways

👎

My question is why was this person in the Coles receiving dock in the first place. It is not a public access area. Trying to get his 15 seconds of fame without finding out what the facts were.