This common driving habit is MORE dangerous than using your phone - are you guilty?

You’ve probably been there before – you’re driving down the road and someone’s going a bit slow. Your patience wears thin and suddenly you’re tailgating them as you try to urge them to move out of the way.

It’s an incredibly frustrating experience.

But here’s the bad news – tailgating is far more dangerous than you may think. In fact, it’s even riskier than texting or making a call on the road.

Senior Research Fellow at Monash University’s Accident Research Centre, Amanda Stephens, has uncovered the reason why people tailgate in a new study.

She identified that tailgating is often a reaction to feeling rushed as if our time is suddenly more precious than usual.

'When drivers are in a rush, they feel their time becomes more precious because there is less of it to spare. Therefore, if something or someone infringes on that time, drivers can become increasingly frustrated and aggressive,' she said.

pexels-photo-7476897.jpeg

According to a new study, speeding and tailgating are the two most harmful driving behaviours. Credit: Pexels/Kampus Production.

And there’s more – a study of real-world driving concluded that tailgating had a 13 to 14-fold increase in the odds of being involved in a crash, compared to driving more responsibly.

She also pointed out that people who are irritated at someone standing in the way of what they are attempting to accomplish—in this example, the destination—often engage in tailgating.

'Often when you respond to a problem you evaluate what has occurred but when you are in a heightened state of driving, you are less likely to do this,' says Stephens.

So how can you prevent yourself from tailgating?

Stephens suggested that the best way to stay safe on the roads is to recognise the situations that may lead to aggressive behaviour.

She developed a strategy with almost 100 self-identified aggressive drivers; focusing on planning, taking a break, deep breathing and rethinking the situation.

pexels-photo-5835282.jpeg

The likelihood of getting in a collision increased by 13 to 14 times for drivers who tailgate. Credit: Pexels/Tim Samuel.

Her well-known ‘5x5x5 strategy’ is used by drivers to question themselves over whether the cause of their anger will matter in five minutes, five hours or five days.

If the answer is ‘no’, then it’s best to let it go.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Stephens reminded drivers of the fines and consequences that come with aggressive driving.

Remember, aggressive tailgating is often seen as a way of getting back at a slow driver but can lead to hefty fines. For example, in NSW, if you are cited for tailgating, you will receive a $448 fine, as well as 3 demerit points.

Key Takeaways

• Tailgating is a dangerous habit that is riskier than texting or making a call.
  • Drivers who tailgate have 13 to 14 times higher odds of being involved in an accident.
  • Tailgating is usually caused by drivers becoming frustrated and angry that something or someone is infringing on their time.
  • Ms Stephens suggests that drivers plan their journey, travel in the left lane, take a break if they are becoming angry, do calming activities in their vehicle and ‘rethink’ the situation.
  • Motivate yourself to quit tailgating by reminding yourself of the risk or the hefty fines you may incur.

So, members - the next time you’re behind the wheel, it may be worth taking a minute to think about the risks you’re putting yourself and others at if you decide to tailgate the car in front.

Have you ever tailgated before? What would it take for you to stop? Tell us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Oh come on know if you want me to read this article at least use a picture of a right hand drive vehicle, it just makes it totally unrelated to my situation, and shows what idiots in other country doing!
Good point Grumpgpa

Reactions: Ricci
I can't tailgate my car has a distance control and won't let me get any closer and I'm sure most modern cars have this but drivers don't use it
Adaptive Cruise Control is great, although the first time it operated in my car i wondered what the hell was happening when it started slowing down. 😄

You’ve probably been there before – you’re driving down the road and someone’s going a bit slow. Your patience wears thin and suddenly you’re tailgating them as you try to urge them to move out of the way.

It’s an incredibly frustrating experience.

But here’s the bad news – tailgating is far more dangerous than you may think. In fact, it’s even riskier than texting or making a call on the road.

Senior Research Fellow at Monash University’s Accident Research Centre, Amanda Stephens, has uncovered the reason why people tailgate in a new study.

She identified that tailgating is often a reaction to feeling rushed as if our time is suddenly more precious than usual.

'When drivers are in a rush, they feel their time becomes more precious because there is less of it to spare. Therefore, if something or someone infringes on that time, drivers can become increasingly frustrated and aggressive,' she said.

pexels-photo-7476897.jpeg

According to a new study, speeding and tailgating are the two most harmful driving behaviours. Credit: Pexels/Kampus Production.

And there’s more – a study of real-world driving concluded that tailgating had a 13 to 14-fold increase in the odds of being involved in a crash, compared to driving more responsibly.

She also pointed out that people who are irritated at someone standing in the way of what they are attempting to accomplish—in this example, the destination—often engage in tailgating.

'Often when you respond to a problem you evaluate what has occurred but when you are in a heightened state of driving, you are less likely to do this,' says Stephens.

So how can you prevent yourself from tailgating?

Stephens suggested that the best way to stay safe on the roads is to recognise the situations that may lead to aggressive behaviour.

She developed a strategy with almost 100 self-identified aggressive drivers; focusing on planning, taking a break, deep breathing and rethinking the situation.

pexels-photo-5835282.jpeg

The likelihood of getting in a collision increased by 13 to 14 times for drivers who tailgate. Credit: Pexels/Tim Samuel.

Her well-known ‘5x5x5 strategy’ is used by drivers to question themselves over whether the cause of their anger will matter in five minutes, five hours or five days.

If the answer is ‘no’, then it’s best to let it go.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Stephens reminded drivers of the fines and consequences that come with aggressive driving.

Remember, aggressive tailgating is often seen as a way of getting back at a slow driver but can lead to hefty fines. For example, in NSW, if you are cited for tailgating, you will receive a $448 fine, as well as 3 demerit points.

Key Takeaways

• Tailgating is a dangerous habit that is riskier than texting or making a call.
  • Drivers who tailgate have 13 to 14 times higher odds of being involved in an accident.
  • Tailgating is usually caused by drivers becoming frustrated and angry that something or someone is infringing on their time.
  • Ms Stephens suggests that drivers plan their journey, travel in the left lane, take a break if they are becoming angry, do calming activities in their vehicle and ‘rethink’ the situation.
  • Motivate yourself to quit tailgating by reminding yourself of the risk or the hefty fines you may incur.

So, members - the next time you’re behind the wheel, it may be worth taking a minute to think about the risks you’re putting yourself and others at if you decide to tailgate the car in front.

Have you ever tailgated before? What would it take for you to stop? Tell us in the comments below!
So some who are being tailgated use their brakes to try and stop it. Run in the back of them and your in the wrong. More problems for you. Just saying.

I know this article is about tail gating, but I surrendered my driver's licence when I could no longer assess how fast the car that pulled in front of me was travelling and so needed to adjust my speed. The offending vehicle didn't get much further ahead for all the risks they created. Personally I find the drivers who pass and then pull in front of your car to be far more dangerous than those who tailgate.

So some who are being tailgated use their brakes to try and stop it. Run in the back of them and your in the wrong. More problems for you. Just saying.
Just saying. Technically negligent driving. (I don't make the law) .. as instructed in defensive driving, just leave double the distance from the driver in front, to compensate for the tailgater. Thus less incidents on our roads.

And the people who always drive10kph below the speed limit! In 100 zone they go 90, then in an 80 zone go 70! If they can drive at 90 why not 80? I live in a regional area and it is exasperating!

I don't tailgate. I do however slow down ever so gradually when being tailgated & add a gentle touch on the brakes. if that doesn't work then I do it again, but slightly firmer on the brake. When they finally overtake I usually catch them up at the next red light or when traffic slows anyway. I'm not a fan of stickers but recently saw 2 that I might consider. "The closer you get the slower I go" & my favourite "Free airbag check for tailgaters"
I like the "closer" one lol