This comedian's shocking response to a mum and baby in his show will shock you!

The world of live comedy can be unpredictable and full of surprises.

After all, it's also a test of improvisation skills.

For one Melbourne mum, a supposedly fun experience turned to the uncomfortable at a recent comedy festival.

During the Melbourne Comedy Festival, comedian Arj Barker found himself at the centre of a contentious situation when he asked a mum and her baby to leave his show—which sparked a heated debate among present audience members.

Trish Faranda, mum to a seven-month-old girl, recounted her 'humiliating' experience at the Athenaeum Theatre.

'She did a little bit of babbling, and he just stopped and said, "Is there a baby here?" and he did a thing about babies,' she recounted.

'Then he said, "I speak fluent baby, and it said take me outside."'

compressed-arj barker.jpeg
Comedian Arj Barker's actions sparked discussions about public decorum and how performers confront situations such as encountering a baby in the venue. Image Credit: Instagram/Arj Barker

Faranda, seated just four rows from the front, needed clarification on whether Barker's request was part of the act or a serious demand.

'She had a little whinge, and I popped her on the breast to feed her, and she was quiet,' she added.

Despite quieting down, Barker insisted that Faranda's presence disrupted his rhythm and the crowd's enjoyment.

The crowd's laughter only added to her confusion as she struggled to discern if the comedian was still playing a part or genuinely asking her to leave.

Faranda described the ordeal as 'intimidating and humiliating'.

'I didn't want to ruin anyone's night; it was never my intention to go and disrupt people or create a scene,' she said.

She likened her baby's noise to someone coughing during a performance.

'If he had just stopped the show, moved the microphone away and said to me, "Hey, actually I'm finding it a bit distracting. Do you mind leaving?", I wouldn't have minded.'
In response to the backlash, Barker took to social media and expressed his distress over the upset.

'My goal is to do a great show and make people happy for an hour; unfortunately, not everyone left happy,' he wrote.

'I have no hostility towards the woman, the child or the people who are mad at me...I will try to learn from it and find if there is a more gentle solution if this ever happens again.'

Witnesses described the moment as 'unbelievably awkward', with reports of several audience members walking out in solidarity with Faranda.

The incident also ignited a fiery debate on social media, with opinions sharply divided.

Some users have sided with Barker in the debacle.

'Good—it was also ruining the show for everyone else who paid to enjoy the show,' one wrote.

‘100 per cent with Arj Barker in this...Keep babies at home. They don't belong at the theatre,' another said.

Others have criticised Barker for his insensitivity, particularly towards a breastfeeding mother.

'Disgusting behaviour asking a breastfeeding mother to leave your show,' another commenter wrote, siding with Faranda. 'If it distracted you that much, you're the one with the problem.'

This story may resonate with readers on multiple levels.

Many have raised children and understand the challenges of parenting in public spaces.

This incident raises important questions about the balance between accommodating families and ensuring the enjoyment of all patrons in public venues.

You may watch the full story here:

Source: Today Show Australia/YouTube

Key Takeaways

• American comedian Arj Barker asked a mum and her baby to leave his show during the Melbourne Comedy Festival, leading to a mix of reactions from the audience.
  • The mum felt humiliated and stated that her baby was not causing a significant disturbance during the show.
  • Arj Barker expressed that he made a 'snap decision' to ensure the audience's enjoyment and is distressed by the adverse reaction, noting he will try to find a more gentle solution if faced with a similar situation.
  • The incident has sparked debate online, with some supporting Barker's decision because the performance is for paying adults. In contrast, others criticised him for asking a breastfeeding mother to leave.
Have you ever faced a similar situation? How do you think performers and venues should handle such delicate situations? Your insights are valuable, and we look forward to reading your insights in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
No sympathy for her at all.
She has had her 15 minutes of fame and now needs to fade away. I’m sick of hearing about her.
I have no idea why a mother of a young baby would think that all would be good to take a baby to a show like that.
If she needs to go out to a show with the baby take the baby to the Mum and Bub shows at the movies.

No sympathy for her at all.
She has had her 15 minutes of fame and now needs to fade away. I’m sick of hearing about her.
I have no idea why a mother of a young baby would think that all would be good to take a baby to a show like that.
If she needs to go out to a show with the baby take the baby to the Mum and Bub shows at the movies.
Yeah I’m over this post😊

Reactions: PattiB and relljube
Another entitled shithead. Stay at home and look after your kids. They are your responsibility and everyone else shouldn't be expected to put up with a ruined night of entertainment just because you were clever enough to pop a kid out. Many have done it before you and many will do it after you. Go out to a comedy festival after the kids have grown a bit and are able to look after themselves. We did it and there hasn't been any adverse affects.

Don’t be so rude Frankenstein oopsy franks naughty spell checker again.🤣You don’t get it do you Ranky the baby should have been in bed not out in an adult venue she’s a bad inconsiderate mother. 👎
Totally agree - sick to death of entitled generation seeking attention on TV & socials - Arj was totally right to call a halt to her noisy interlude. She & baby were on every TV show possible to winge & moan about her treatment -meanwhile the baby was totally uncontrolled and loud through the attempt to interview her. All she did was dandle the baby thinking this would keep it quite. Shite of a mother - sorry - she needs a reality check.

Totally agree - sick to death of entitled generation seeking attention on TV & socials - Arj was totally right to call a halt to her noisy interlude. She & baby were on every TV show possible to winge & moan about her treatment -meanwhile the baby was totally uncontrolled and loud through the attempt to interview her. All she did was dandle the baby thinking this would keep it quite. Shite of a mother - sorry - she needs a reality check.
I think she was actually after the attention . The baby was very very loud on sunrise

this stupid mother should not have gone. the comedian stated no babies or children and in my book that is how it should be. taking a baby out to that show at that time of the evening is not on. also, I would not want to be next to a mum breastfeeding at an adult show I was attending. This mother does not get one bit of sympathy from me. The comedienne has every right to be pissed off.

What an absolute, complete SHIT of a man, the sooner he pisses off back to America, the better !!!
He's SUPPOSED to be a PROFESSIONAL, If he can't handle a 7-month old baby interrupting his train of thought, then he should get a job more in keeping with his professional intellect - Like a Septic Tank Emptier !
No offence intended to Septic Tank emptier's, !!!
since when did these kinds of shows become available for 7-month-old babies? you show yourself to be of the sewer type.

Reactions: ElizabethL
I did not see her on the tv shows but I am not surprised at them trawling her on. an absolute stupid mother.

Taking the baby was a selfish and stupid thing to do. People who paid good money to watch a comedian couldn’t hear what he was saying. Money is tight these days and to have their evening ruined by some attention seeking woman is just not on. The show was a 15+ event which she knew. Nothing whatsoever to do with her breastfeeding - she was just milking it (sorry lol) for what she could get out of it

What an absolute, complete SHIT of a man, the sooner he pisses off back to America, the better !!!
He's SUPPOSED to be a PROFESSIONAL, If he can't handle a 7-month old baby interrupting his train of thought, then he should get a job more in keeping with his professional intellect - Like a Septic Tank Emptier !
No offence intended to Septic Tank emptier's, !!!
YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE. No-one, no matter who, wants to go to an adult show and listen to screaming kids. That wretched woman got just what she was after, more than 5 minutes of fame on all tv channels and in magazines and, of course, the kids showed us all how quiet it was while in the studio. Well done Arj Barker.