This comedian's shocking response to a mum and baby in his show will shock you!

The world of live comedy can be unpredictable and full of surprises.

After all, it's also a test of improvisation skills.

For one Melbourne mum, a supposedly fun experience turned to the uncomfortable at a recent comedy festival.

During the Melbourne Comedy Festival, comedian Arj Barker found himself at the centre of a contentious situation when he asked a mum and her baby to leave his show—which sparked a heated debate among present audience members.

Trish Faranda, mum to a seven-month-old girl, recounted her 'humiliating' experience at the Athenaeum Theatre.

'She did a little bit of babbling, and he just stopped and said, "Is there a baby here?" and he did a thing about babies,' she recounted.

'Then he said, "I speak fluent baby, and it said take me outside."'

compressed-arj barker.jpeg
Comedian Arj Barker's actions sparked discussions about public decorum and how performers confront situations such as encountering a baby in the venue. Image Credit: Instagram/Arj Barker

Faranda, seated just four rows from the front, needed clarification on whether Barker's request was part of the act or a serious demand.

'She had a little whinge, and I popped her on the breast to feed her, and she was quiet,' she added.

Despite quieting down, Barker insisted that Faranda's presence disrupted his rhythm and the crowd's enjoyment.

The crowd's laughter only added to her confusion as she struggled to discern if the comedian was still playing a part or genuinely asking her to leave.

Faranda described the ordeal as 'intimidating and humiliating'.

'I didn't want to ruin anyone's night; it was never my intention to go and disrupt people or create a scene,' she said.

She likened her baby's noise to someone coughing during a performance.

'If he had just stopped the show, moved the microphone away and said to me, "Hey, actually I'm finding it a bit distracting. Do you mind leaving?", I wouldn't have minded.'
In response to the backlash, Barker took to social media and expressed his distress over the upset.

'My goal is to do a great show and make people happy for an hour; unfortunately, not everyone left happy,' he wrote.

'I have no hostility towards the woman, the child or the people who are mad at me...I will try to learn from it and find if there is a more gentle solution if this ever happens again.'

Witnesses described the moment as 'unbelievably awkward', with reports of several audience members walking out in solidarity with Faranda.

The incident also ignited a fiery debate on social media, with opinions sharply divided.

Some users have sided with Barker in the debacle.

'Good—it was also ruining the show for everyone else who paid to enjoy the show,' one wrote.

‘100 per cent with Arj Barker in this...Keep babies at home. They don't belong at the theatre,' another said.

Others have criticised Barker for his insensitivity, particularly towards a breastfeeding mother.

'Disgusting behaviour asking a breastfeeding mother to leave your show,' another commenter wrote, siding with Faranda. 'If it distracted you that much, you're the one with the problem.'

This story may resonate with readers on multiple levels.

Many have raised children and understand the challenges of parenting in public spaces.

This incident raises important questions about the balance between accommodating families and ensuring the enjoyment of all patrons in public venues.

You may watch the full story here:

Source: Today Show Australia/YouTube

Key Takeaways

• American comedian Arj Barker asked a mum and her baby to leave his show during the Melbourne Comedy Festival, leading to a mix of reactions from the audience.
  • The mum felt humiliated and stated that her baby was not causing a significant disturbance during the show.
  • Arj Barker expressed that he made a 'snap decision' to ensure the audience's enjoyment and is distressed by the adverse reaction, noting he will try to find a more gentle solution if faced with a similar situation.
  • The incident has sparked debate online, with some supporting Barker's decision because the performance is for paying adults. In contrast, others criticised him for asking a breastfeeding mother to leave.
Have you ever faced a similar situation? How do you think performers and venues should handle such delicate situations? Your insights are valuable, and we look forward to reading your insights in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I don't go to these events, because more then ten people, loud noises and the like effect my mental condition. Surely the organisation had something up suggesting families with young children might want to find alternatives? Or have a dedicated area for them? maybe an area with toys? Sometimes I do wonder why parents believe we all want to be annoyed.... ah sorry... entertained by their kids. We don't, but try and tell parents that, and you're asking for trouble. Which is why I consider where I go carefully. Sorry mums and dad's but I'm not really a kiddy person. Some movie theatres have no children sessions, maybe we need to get them back.

I never thought I would say this but mum and bub should have sat in one of the back rows.

I would never had taken a baby into a comedy company show. For one its very loud and noisy.

I understand why the artist was distracted by the babies noise. Now mum said she was very soft gurgling. I saw mum and bub on sunrise this morning and baby was very very loud .

I have a friend who is a comedian and works at the comedy company, she has 5 kids and said she would never have taken her kids there.
When they are up on stage telling their jokes it is easy to get thrown off line if interrupted.

There are places to take kids and there are places you don't and unfortunately this wasn't one for babies.

Last edited:
This is a friend of mine, she is one incredible lady.
An amazing business woman who makes and sells the best donuts ever.

She is also the funniest lady I have ever met and yes she is Moslem .

She resides in Sydney, grew up in Melbourne and travels Australia doing comedy .
If you like comedy then if you can you need to see her

images.jpeg

This is a friend of mine, she is one incredible lady.
An amazing business woman who makes and sells the best donuts ever.

She is also the funniest lady I have ever met and yes she is Moslem .

She resides in Sydney, grew up in Melbourne and travels Australia doing comedy .
If you like comedy then if you can you need to see her

View attachment 46367
She reminds me of a lady I saw on one of the morning shows not long ago she was really funny and cooking something as well.😊

Reactions: PattiB
She reminds me of a lady I saw on one of the morning shows not long ago she was really funny and cooking something as well.😊
I've known her for years. she had owned a bridal store and was my first boss in bridal. I asked her once why she wears a scarf as she doesn't act Moslem ,she replied because I'm use to it.
I can't believe how famous she has actually become

Last edited:
Reactions: Littleboy8
Why do mothers have to take their babies everywhere they go? Hasn’t she ever heard of expressing milk so that someone else could’ve fed her child if need be. I thought it was a treat to get out for a while without my baby & wouldn’t have taken him to an adult show at that age. A lot of mothers seem to think that the world revolves around them and their children. I’m not overly interested in babies, I raised mine & that was enough.

This nothing "news story" has got out of hand. The woman in question took a 7 month old baby to a comedy show where patrons PAID to HEAR the comedian, not a baby making loud noises. She was asked to leave as several patrons complained about the baby. It is interesting to note that this would appear to be a deliberate action as the woman in question has had ample coverage from various tv stations, the press and posters online. It was a ridiculous act, no-one in their right mind takes a baby to a 15+ show in the evening and expects the patrons to be comfortable with that. When is this sense of entitlement going to stop?

I don't believe that a comedy show is the best place to take a baby they look for hecklers and always rip into someone, if the baby was distracting and it clearly was or this would have never happened.( i heard this from two people that were seated the next row forward and across a bit) then she is obviously going to cop a spray. I blame the security for allowing her in

This nothing "news story" has got out of hand. The woman in question took a 7 month old baby to a comedy show where patrons PAID to HEAR the comedian, not a baby making loud noises. She was asked to leave as several patrons complained about the baby. It is interesting to note that this would appear to be a deliberate action as the woman in question has had ample coverage from various tv stations, the press and posters online. It was a ridiculous act, no-one in their right mind takes a baby to a 15+ show in the evening and expects the patrons to be comfortable with that. When is this sense of entitlement going to stop?
You are so right Frida, I’m also getting a bit tired of complaining young women. Most mums love the chance to go out without their baby & at seven months old surely she could’ve expressed & left milk in a bottle. I don’t want to attend an adult & listen to babies making a noise. I sympathised with the comedian.

I just find it incomprehensible that anyone would be so stupid as to take a baby to a show in the evening, this is just so inconsiderate of others who paid good money to come and see the entertainment, not listen to someone's baby gurgling, coughing or crying. Should have organised a babysitter or just stayed home. Very selfish attitude on behalf of the Mum

What an absolute, complete SHIT of a man, the sooner he pisses off back to America, the better !!!
He's SUPPOSED to be a PROFESSIONAL, If he can't handle a 7-month old baby interrupting his train of thought, then he should get a job more in keeping with his professional intellect - Like a Septic Tank Emptier !
No offence intended to Septic Tank emptier's, !!!

What an absolute, complete SHIT of a man, the sooner he pisses off back to America, the better !!!
He's SUPPOSED to be a PROFESSIONAL, If he can't handle a 7-month old baby interrupting his train of thought, then he should get a job more in keeping with his professional intellect - Like a Septic Tank Emptier !
No offence intended to Septic Tank emptier's, !!!
Don’t be so rude Frankenstein oopsy franks naughty spell checker again.🤣You don’t get it do you Ranky the baby should have been in bed not out in an adult venue she’s a bad inconsiderate mother. 👎