This British expat was SHOCKED by these 5 things she experienced in Australia

Relocating to Australia can be pretty overwhelming for a lot of folks, and for British expat Robyn Turner, it’s been no different.

Ms Turner has been living in Melbourne for the past five years and has encountered plenty of changes in her lifestyle.

To share her experience as a 'newbie' to this part of the world, she took to TikTok to list the five most shocking things she's come across thus far - which we think are all really quite funny.

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 2.38.49 PM.png
A Brit who's lived in Australia for five years reveals some of the unexpected aspects of life Down Under. Credit: Pexels/Hugo Heimendinger.

To begin with, Ms Turner said she was taken aback to find that people in Australia often go barefoot, even in public places, something she wasn't used to in the UK.

'People walking around the supermarket or any other store in bare feet shocked me,' she said.

'You would never catch anyone that wasn't on a beach with bare feet in the UK. It doesn't appeal to me, but I mean, you do you; I just won't look at the floor.'

Not only that, but Ms Turner also noted that the alcohol sold in Australian supermarkets is slightly different to what she was used to back home, as it isn't located in a separate section.

'I had no idea this wasn't a thing,' she said. 'I was first like, “Where do I go and buy some wine from?” and someone was like, “the bottle-O”, and I was like, “What's a bottle-O?”'

'I had no idea, and it shocked me to the bones.'

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 2.38.43 PM.png
According to Ms Turner, she was taken aback by how scorching the temperature can get in Australia. Credit: Pexels/Lukas.

Filtering through her list, Ms Turner - who is currently working as a personal trainer - also expressed shock at some of the scorching temperatures she's endured in Australia (we know all too well what that feels like!).

'When I first lived here, I lived in Sydney, and it wiped me out,' she said. 'Absolutely killed me.'

And despite the surprises and shocks, there was one thing she absolutely loved: the iconic lemon lime and bitters.

'This surprise was in the best way possible,' she said.

'Thank you for introducing me to lemon lime bitters. That is amazing stuff; it's like liquid gold. You (Aussies) are the ultimate gatekeepers, not letting the rest of the world know about it.'

Ms Turner also mentioned that she had acquired a particular taste for espresso martinis, a delectable cocktail she says she never encountered back in the UK.

'It's so good,' she said.

'I'm pretty sure you can get espresso martinis in the UK, but I'm from a small coastal town, okay. I had never seen them before I came here over five years ago.'
Key Takeaways

• A British expat has listed the five biggest culture shocks she experienced since moving to Australia.
  • These culture shocks include people walking with bare feet in public spaces, the lack of alcohol aisles in supermarkets, the scorching hot temperature, lemon lime bitters, and espresso martinis.
Robyn's video has been viewed over 600,000 times - and it's not hard to see why. Even if you're not an expat, it's a great reminder of how different cultures can be and the importance of embracing each country and its unique customs.

Members, it seems there are plenty of aspects of Australian culture that stand apart from the rest of the world. Did any of the points made by Ms Turner ring true for you as well? If so, let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We moved hear in 196o when I was older my mother mentioned that they where shocked when all the kids were barefoot she said that they thought it was due to poverty but it didn't take us kids long to go barefoot

Reactions: Penny4
Oh yes, things in Australia are different as they are everywhere else in the world. It is not a big deal. I actually try and understand the differences. There is often cultural reasons why things evolved a particular way.
But going barefoot outdoors is still not for me, unless I am on a beach. :)

Reactions: Penny4
So if someone comments on what they have found different on moving to Australia, they are a whinger or mocking Australia? Then of course, they MUST be English because people of every other ethnicity never have a bad word to say! Fair crack of the whip please! When I came & was living in W.A. I was asked to pass the Durex. I was embarrassed because in England this is a brand of condoms! Mentioning this to the person concerned was to seek clarification not to complain! I began teaching two weeks after arriving having taught in England. My first headmaster greeted me with the statement “ Not another bloody, whingeing Pom” when I introduced myself. Yes, the cultures are different but the English cannot be the whipping boys & girls of Australians forever & I have yet to see this change after 48 years!

She may mock things here but the thing that was strange to me in England is "queuing" Go to the local deli and you could be queued out the door even though there is space inside. It's everywhere you go, you must que.
Everywhere the British have been queues exist and its a wonderful idea not the pushing and shoving one experiences is other countries.

Reactions: Senor
So if someone comments on what they have found different on moving to Australia, they are a whinger or mocking Australia? Then of course, they MUST be English because people of every other ethnicity never have a bad word to say! Fair crack of the whip please! When I came & was living in W.A. I was asked to pass the Durex. I was embarrassed because in England this is a brand of condoms! Mentioning this to the person concerned was to seek clarification not to complain! I began teaching two weeks after arriving having taught in England. My first headmaster greeted me with the statement “ Not another bloody, whingeing Pom” when I introduced myself. Yes, the cultures are different but the English cannot be the whipping boys & girls of Australians forever & I have yet to see this change after 48 years!
Aaww I have quite a few lovely English friends & they don't whinge as they love it here. Also my friend from Scotland. Her cousin is the Aussie singer who had the hit song "Love is in the air".

I

I am still adjusting to things here too. My worst faux pas was to take some plates with us when we were invited to our first party - the invite said "bring a plate" - so I did - no food, just plates. I thought they were short of dishes!
I thought the same!!! 😂😂😂

A few things that shocked me:
Barefoot people.
Coffee in styrofoam cups.
No tablecloth in any kind of restaurants (maybe just on the upper market ones).
Being called “love” by strangers 😁
Stubby shorts 🙈
People wearing shorts and high socks at the office, banks etc.
Probably there was more but I can’t remember. Nevertheless, all become normal to me and I embrace the differences. I love Australia and I’ve been here for 40 years 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi 😂😂😂

Reactions: Senor