This Bathroom Noise Could Wreck Your Bank Account - Here's What Every Homeowner Needs to Know ASAP!

As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we're always on the lookout for ways to save money and avoid unnecessary expenses. That's why it's crucial to pay attention to the little things around the house that could end up costing a fortune if left unchecked. One such seemingly innocuous issue is a sound that's all too common in many households: the continuous noise of running water in the bathroom.

A property expert has recently sounded the alarm on this issue, cautioning homeowners that ignoring the sound of a running toilet could lead to a surprisingly hefty water bill. 'If that sound keeps going, you're going to get a massive, massive water bill,' he warned. This is a problem that can sneak up on you, quietly draining your wallet along with the water.

shutterstock_2487913623.jpg
If you hear this common sound coming from your bathroom, you could be flushing money down the toilet. Credit: Shutterstock

The expert didn't specify the exact cause of the running water sound, as there could be several culprits behind this costly annoyance. Laurence Gibbons, a seasoned property expert, insists that homeowners should not dismiss a running toilet sound, as it could significantly increase their water bill.

So, what causes a toilet to run continuously? It could be a faulty flapper valve, which is responsible for creating a watertight seal at the bottom of the toilet tank. If the flapper is worn out, misaligned, or simply not sealing properly, water will leak from the tank into the bowl, causing the toilet to run incessantly. Other potential causes include a clogged drain, low water pressure, or a fill valve that fails to shut off the water flow as it should. In more severe cases, as noted by Jim Reinhart, a former product leader at American Standard, the issue could even stem from a crack in the toilet tank.

Fortunately, diagnosing and fixing a running toilet doesn't require a plumbing degree or a toolbox full of special gadgets. 'You won't need any special tools to figure out why your toilet is running, just your eyes, ears, and a set of hands,' Reinhart advised. For a faulty flapper, the solution can be as simple as removing it and taking it to your local hardware store to find a matching replacement. It's important to get a flapper that matches the brand and model of your toilet to ensure a proper fit and function.

Once you've got the right part, fitting the new flapper back onto the toilet and turning the water on should tell you right away if the issue has been resolved. If the problem persists, you might need to check the overflow tube height, adjust the tank's water level, inspect the flush valve chain, replace the flush valve, or install a new fill valve.

For those who are less confident in their DIY skills, or if the problem seems more complex, it's always wise to call in a professional plumber. After all, a small upfront cost for repairs can save you from a much larger bill down the line.

Some viewers of Gibbons' informative video suggested that the flapper is often the culprit, but reassured that even if it's another issue, the fix is usually straightforward. 'Such an easy fix too! If it’s the floater, it can be fixed with a screwdriver by adjusting the height of it,' one commenter noted. Others found the issue to be less daunting, with one viewer suggesting that sometimes all it takes is a simple 'jiggle of the handle.'

However, it's important not to underestimate the problem. Some commenters shared their own costly experiences, with one person revealing a staggering $500 bill that they 'couldn't afford' due to a running toilet left unattended.

Key Takeaways
  • A property expert has cautioned homeowners not to ignore the sound of a running toilet as it could lead to significantly higher water bills.
  • Common issues causing the noise can include a faulty flapper, clogged drain, low water pressure, or a broken fill valve.
  • Fixing the problem might be manageable with simple DIY solutions such as replacing the flapper or adjusting the float.
  • If homeowners are unsure or unable to resolve the issue, seeking professional help from a plumber is recommended to avoid costly charges.

So, dear members, let this be a reminder to give your bathroom a listen. If you hear that telltale sound of water running when it shouldn't be, don't delay in addressing it. It could be the difference between a minor inconvenience and a major hit to your bank account. Have you ever experienced a running toilet or other household issue that ended up costing more than expected? Share your stories and tips in the comments below – your advice could save a fellow member from an unwelcome expense!

Sponsored
Maybe that's why I go to the toilet so often during the night....maybe I need a new flapper valve or floater installed inside me and hopefully with a gentle jiggle of my handle it might help stop my constant visits to the WC. Maybe I should check my overflow tube height also or adjust my own water level and while I'm at it inspect my own flush valve chain or replace my flush valve and install a new fill valve inside me, making sure that it fits properly and functions of course...or I could stop drinking so much coffee during the day, that might just be the best outcome of the lot. Ah water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.🤔😂

Reactions: Littleboy8
Fortunately, there are several DIY fixes that homeowners can try. Replacing the flapper is often straightforward; simply remove the old flapper and take it to the store to find a matching replacement. Adjusting the float can also be a simple solution, and sometimes all it takes is a quick jiggle of the handle to get things working again. However, if the issue is more complex or if you’re unsure about what to do, it’s wise to call a plumber. Searching for plumbing job leads can help you find the right professional. The upfront cost of professional help can prevent larger bills down the line.

Last edited:
Maybe that's why I go to the toilet so often during the night....maybe I need a new flapper valve or floater installed inside me and hopefully with a gentle jiggle of my handle it might help stop my constant visits to the WC. Maybe I should check my overflow tube height also or adjust my own water level and while I'm at it inspect my own flush valve chain or replace my flush valve and install a new fill valve inside me, making sure that it fits properly and functions of course...or I could stop drinking so much coffee during the day, that might just be the best outcome of the lot. Ah water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.🤔😂
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: magpie1