This American woman's odd questions about Australia caused a huge controversy–find out why!

It’s not every day that you see a trend spread through social media like wildfire for something rather unique–such as Australian seasons.

But that’s exactly what’s been happening lately, thanks to an American woman and her peculiar questions about local weather patterns.

The befuddlement began when a social media user named Jenna Lu posted a video expressing her confusion about the difference between the Northern and Southern Hemisphere’s seasonal cycles.

She admitted she had recently discovered that August is winter Down Under and couldn’t make sense of the implications for the names of months, holidays, and even fruits in Australia.

photo_2023-09-01_13-38-58.jpg
Jenna Lu was genuinely confused with the difference between the seasons in America and Australia. Image source: TikTok/@itsjennalu.

'I need somebody from Australia to explain this to me because I genuinely don’t understand how this works,' Ms Lu said, believing that many fellow Americans shared her ‘bewilderment’.

'For me, I think of June-July-August as summer months, so I'm just confused because do you, first of all, still call it August and, second of all, is August–if you do call it that–a winter month for you?' she asked.

Her video has left many Aussie viewers wondering what’s so difficult about understanding the difference between the two hemispheres. Of course, they also generously offered amusing reactions, along with educational tips and some good-natured ribbing over her lack of geographical awareness.

One of Jenna's unbelievable remarks was about Australian Christmas celebrations. 'When you guys have Christmas, does all your marketing stuff have Santa Claus dressed in a swimsuit? Because for us Santa Claus is wearing winter clothes because it's winter here,' she asked.

In addition, she questioned if typical Christmas dishes like hot chocolate and traditional wintertime foods still appear on festive dinner tables over in Oz. Fortunately, viewers happily enlightened her as to the difference in Australia's typical festive menu.

'Our traditional Christmas food is very summery. Lots of seafood, prawns, pavlova, beers, BBQs,' one replied.

You can watch Jenna ask her questions about the Down Under in the video below:

The comments section was also filled with viewers who joked Aussies lived in the future, referencing that Australia is ahead of the US in terms of time zones. One Australian summed up the country's weather pattern by joking: 'We don’t have seasons it’s just permanent chaos and fires and floods. Hope this helps.'

A Brazilian also chimed in and gave insight on their own weather patterns. Like Australia, Brazil is also in the Southern Hemisphere.

'Brazilian here. Yes, August is a winter month, and Christmas is during summer! So much fun!' they said.

And perhaps to take things up a notch, a Swiss woman shared: 'We don‘t celebrate Thanksgiving or Halloween in Switzerland. And we don‘t have Santa Claus.'

We wonder how Ms Lu took that in.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman named Jenna Lu posted a video on TikTok expressing her confusion over the difference in seasonal timing between the US and Australia.
  • Her questions ranged from whether Australians refer to August as a winter month, how Halloween and Christmas are celebrated in different seasons, and if seasonal fruits have the same relevance.
  • The comments section saw a combination of people attempting to educate Ms Lu and others finding humour in her lack of geographical knowledge.
  • Despite her confusion, many viewers took the opportunity to share insight into Australian holiday celebrations, seasonal foods, and even commented on the country's chaotic weather patterns.

Have you experienced this bewilderment from a foreigner before? Or do you have any tips or stories to share about the seasons in Australia to foreign friends? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
I haven't had an Xmas since I've come here 45 years ago. I could never get used to a hot Xmas having grown up in the northern hemisphere. Mind you I love it! Always warm and always seafood 😋

Reactions: Colette 3799
I haven't had an Xmas since I've come here 45 years ago. I could never get used to a hot Xmas having grown up in the northern hemisphere. Mind you I love it! Always warm and always seafood 😋
My mum was the same. She migrated from Lithuania in their winter and our hottest part of summer.
She accused my dad of taking her to Satan's cauldron.
She never could get used to hot Xmas. We eased her bouts of nostalgia by having water fights after Xmas Lunch.

Should the wife of President Biden be informed that there are teenagers and young people in the USA who have obviously missed geography at school and have very little understanding of the world in which they live. As the First Lady and an Educational professional she may be able to have the level of education provided amended to include world general knowledge such that stupidity is kept at a lower level. I have heard that most Americans haven't even travelled to other states within the USA let alone travel outside the USA. I think this young lady's Tic Tok shows how little general knowledge has been imparted to her.

Jenna's middle name must be moron, methinks!
It’s the relatively poor education in the US - it’s been dumbed down for the last 20+ years. And there’s usually very little global education in both geography and history. When I lived there they thought I came from Austria, and when corrected, thought kangaroos hopped down every street. Quite sad really.

It’s the relatively poor education in the US - it’s been dumbed down for the last 20+ years. And there’s usually very little global education in both geography and history. When I lived there they thought I came from Austria, and when corrected, thought kangaroos hopped down every street. Quite sad really.
I have been told they place a huge amount of importance on American history, and, the kids are quite good at the subject. Don't think the rest of the world matters to them so much. Patriotic education?

It’s not every day that you see a trend spread through social media like wildfire for something rather unique–such as Australian seasons.

But that’s exactly what’s been happening lately, thanks to an American woman and her peculiar questions about local weather patterns.

The befuddlement began when a social media user named Jenna Lu posted a video expressing her confusion about the difference between the Northern and Southern Hemisphere’s seasonal cycles.

She admitted she had recently discovered that August is winter Down Under and couldn’t make sense of the implications for the names of months, holidays, and even fruits in Australia.

View attachment 28875
Jenna Lu was genuinely confused with the difference between the seasons in America and Australia. Image source: TikTok/@itsjennalu.

'I need somebody from Australia to explain this to me because I genuinely don’t understand how this works,' Ms Lu said, believing that many fellow Americans shared her ‘bewilderment’.

'For me, I think of June-July-August as summer months, so I'm just confused because do you, first of all, still call it August and, second of all, is August–if you do call it that–a winter month for you?' she asked.

Her video has left many Aussie viewers wondering what’s so difficult about understanding the difference between the two hemispheres. Of course, they also generously offered amusing reactions, along with educational tips and some good-natured ribbing over her lack of geographical awareness.

One of Jenna's unbelievable remarks was about Australian Christmas celebrations. 'When you guys have Christmas, does all your marketing stuff have Santa Claus dressed in a swimsuit? Because for us Santa Claus is wearing winter clothes because it's winter here,' she asked.

In addition, she questioned if typical Christmas dishes like hot chocolate and traditional wintertime foods still appear on festive dinner tables over in Oz. Fortunately, viewers happily enlightened her as to the difference in Australia's typical festive menu.

'Our traditional Christmas food is very summery. Lots of seafood, prawns, pavlova, beers, BBQs,' one replied.

The comments section was also filled with viewers who joked Aussies lived in the future, referencing that Australia is ahead of the US in terms of time zones. One Australian summed up the country's weather pattern by joking: 'We don’t have seasons it’s just permanent chaos and fires and floods. Hope this helps.'

A Brazilian also chimed in and gave insight on their own weather patterns. Like Australia, Brazil is also in the Southern Hemisphere.

'Brazilian here. Yes, August is a winter month, and Christmas is during summer! So much fun!' they said.

And perhaps to take things up a notch, a Swiss woman shared: 'We don‘t celebrate Thanksgiving or Halloween in Switzerland. And we don‘t have Santa Claus.'

Key Takeaways

• A woman named Jenna Lu posted a video on TikTok expressing her confusion over the difference in seasonal timing between the US and Australia.
  • Her questions ranged from whether Australians refer to August as a winter month, how Halloween and Christmas are celebrated in different seasons, and if seasonal fruits have the same relevance.
  • The comments section saw a combination of people attempting to educate Ms Lu and others finding humour in her lack of geographical knowledge.
  • Despite her confusion, many viewers took the opportunity to share insight into Australian holiday celebrations, seasonal foods, and even commented on the country's chaotic weather patterns.

Have you experienced this bewilderment from a foreigner before? Or do you have any tips or stories to share about the seasons in Australia to foreign friends? Share them in the comments below!

Nothing new here if they think Trump is great that's lobotomy gone mad 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh dear! That's what psychiatrists call "Dumb Blonde Syndrome". It should be included in the next edition of the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders".

Americans must be most insular and self centered nationality on the planet. They might be able to name every US President in order, but wouldn't have a clue who the current leader of ANY other country is.

apparently they don't teach much about the southern hemisphere in the Northern Hemisphere in schools, nor do they teach effective communcation in Australia

Reactions: KaraJenna
It's time you got with it. After 45 years you should be well used to the climate down here & celebrate Christmas in December along with the rest of us.

It's time you got with it. After 45 years you should be well used to the climate down here & celebrate Christmas in December along with the rest of us.
Oh I do celebrate with family. It simply doesn't feel Xmasy, that's all. Believe me I've acclimatised quite nicely. Up here we have Xmas in July when it's cooler.

Reactions: Bindii
Poor dear obviously suffering dumb blonde syndrome. Surely somewhere along the line you would be a little curious to know about the rest of the world. At least the place you are visiting or is it only on line. Maybe I missed something but thank God I am not planning on visiting the US so she gives me an excuse to be a dumb blonde too?

Reactions: Veggiepatch

View attachment 28875

Key Takeaways