This ‘Dennis the Menace’ tested his parents' nerves with his skill tester feat!

All of us have probably, at one point or another in our lives, wished we could be a kid again. And while there are some things about childhood that we wouldn't want to relive (like homework and early bedtimes), there are other parts that can seem very appealing in retrospect.

Being carefree and having boundless energy come to mind immediately. If only we could bottle that feeling and keep it forever! Unfortunately, it's not something that lasts forever – but while it does, kids make the most of it by running around and exploring everything they can get their hands on.

Sometimes they explore a little too much...and get themselves into trouble as a result. Case in point: this adorable two-year-old who managed to trap himself inside a skill tester machine at his local pub.

The incident happened when Ashlee was eating her dinner with her partner Troy at their favourite pub in Melbourne.

That's when her son Brooklyn – nicknamed ‘Dennis the Menace’ for his cheeky antics – decided he wanted to play with the toys inside the skill tester machine nearby.

4c21e104809769de56f2915975c0c814e3d296a5.png
Quite a cheeky grin for someone stuck in a glass box, eh Brooklyn? Credit: 7News

‘I thought, “I haven’t seen him in a couple of minutes, I’m sure he’s probably just in the slide”,’ Ashlee began.

‘But another minute went by and I didn’t see him come out, so I thought I’d better go check on him.’

That’s when she found Brooklyn giggling inside the skill tester machine knee-deep in toys!

As any parent would be in their situation, Ashley and Troy were at their wits’ end trying to figure out how to extract Brooklyn.

The manager of the pub even called the local fire brigade, however, the little boy started to cry, which prompted Troy to attempt to get him out — and not without a challenge!

He said: ‘It was actually pretty hard to get him out because as he was chucking the toys down the chute, it was kind of blocking it, like clogging it up.’

On the verge of giving up and waiting for the fire brigade, Ashlee and Troy remembered one word 100% effective on Brooklyn: ‘Nanny’.

‘I thought, what’s going to get him down? His favourite person, his nanny,’ said Ashlee.

Screenshot_2.png
Brooklyn didn’t walk away from the incident empty handed. Credit: YouTube/7News

‘So I said “Nanny’s here, come and see Nanny”. Straight away he went “Nanny?” and he just turned around backwards and he just slid on out.’

‘It’s not unlike him to do something like this,’ she added. ‘His nickname is Dennis the Menace for a reason.’

Phew! Nanny must be very proud of her little menace, then!

And what about the toys in the skill tester machine? Don’t worry — Brooklyn took home two!

Key Takeaways

• A toy-hunting toddler became trapped inside a skill tester machine after climbing in and blocking his own exit with the toys he'd collected.
  • The child's parents used the word 'nanny' to coax him out of the machine, as she was his favourite person.
  • The toddler's antics lived up to the nickname 'Dennis the Menace' his parents gave.
Now, we don’t want to end this light story on a more serious note, but we must: for parents and grandparents reading this, please never leave your children and grandchildren unattended, especially in public places like pubs!

There are a million things that can go wrong when you take your eyes off your tykes even for a second, just ask this mum.

So, what is your reaction to little Brooklyn’s field trip inside the skill tester machine? If you were his parents, what would you have done?

Tell us your reactions and thoughts in the comments section below!

Source: YouTube/7News

Sponsored
Luckily kids that age have very flexible bones and the child was able to get out the way he got in. As for taking your eyes of kids in a crowded place, I wouldn't and they would have boundaries, like the end of the chairs or up to the stage,but just leaving a 2 year old loose, well that's just looking for trouble

All of us have probably, at one point or another in our lives, wished we could be a kid again. And while there are some things about childhood that we wouldn't want to relive (like homework and early bedtimes), there are other parts that can seem very appealing in retrospect.

Being carefree and having boundless energy come to mind immediately. If only we could bottle that feeling and keep it forever! Unfortunately, it's not something that lasts forever – but while it does, kids make the most of it by running around and exploring everything they can get their hands on.

Sometimes they explore a little too much...and get themselves into trouble as a result. Case in point: this adorable two-year-old who managed to trap himself inside a skill tester machine at his local pub.

The incident happened when Ashlee was eating her dinner with her partner Troy at their favourite pub in Melbourne.

That's when her son Brooklyn – nicknamed ‘Dennis the Menace’ for his cheeky antics – decided he wanted to play with the toys inside the skill tester machine nearby.

View attachment 8100
Quite a cheeky grin for someone stuck in a glass box, eh Brooklyn? Credit: 7News

‘I thought, “I haven’t seen him in a couple of minutes, I’m sure he’s probably just in the slide”,’ Ashlee began.

‘But another minute went by and I didn’t see him come out, so I thought I’d better go check on him.’

That’s when she found Brooklyn giggling inside the skill tester machine knee-deep in toys!

As any parent would be in their situation, Ashley and Troy were at their wits’ end trying to figure out how to extract Brooklyn.

The manager of the pub even called the local fire brigade, however, the little boy started to cry, which prompted Troy to attempt to get him out — and not without a challenge!

He said: ‘It was actually pretty hard to get him out because as he was chucking the toys down the chute, it was kind of blocking it, like clogging it up.’

On the verge of giving up and waiting for the fire brigade, Ashlee and Troy remembered one word 100% effective on Brooklyn: ‘Nanny’.

‘I thought, what’s going to get him down? His favourite person, his nanny,’ said Ashlee.

View attachment 8101

‘So I said “Nanny’s here, come and see Nanny”. Straight away he went “Nanny?” and he just turned around backwards and he just slid on out.’

‘It’s not unlike him to do something like this,’ she added. ‘His nickname is Dennis the Menace for a reason.’

And what about the toys in the skill tester machine? Don’t worry — Brooklyn took home two!

Key Takeaways

• A toy-hunting toddler became trapped inside a skill tester machine after climbing in and blocking his own exit with the toys he'd collected.
  • The child's parents used the word 'nanny' to coax him out of the machine, as she was his favourite person.
  • The toddler's antics lived up to the nickname 'Dennis the Menace' his parents gave.
Now, we don’t want to end this light story on a more serious note, but we must: for parents and grandparents reading this, please never leave your children and grandchildren unattended, especially in public places like pubs!

There are a million things that can go wrong when you take your eyes off your tykes even for a second, just ask this mum.

So, what is your reaction to little Brooklyn’s field trip inside the skill tester machine? If you were his parents, what would you have done?

My adult son now in his late 30s was like this child. Everyday when he was little was an adventure.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 8100

View attachment 8101

Key Takeaways

When my children and grandchildren were ßmall and we went out to dinner they were not permitted o leave their seat....they were taught it is not a playground and had to behave.....not just for our peace of mind but the comfort of othe

Kids are quick and I lost my son a couple of times and my daughter once and this was within seconds of taking my eyes off them .

My son also had the nickname Dennis the menace.

He was so quick , at 2 he climbed out windows , climbed over fences. But I made a point to know where he was and catch him before he made it to far

What concerns me with this scenario is it would have taken him time to climb into this machine and I'm sure he would have been standing looking at it for awhile before climbing in.

When are some parents going to realise how dangerous it is to take their eyes off their children, even for a second - especially while out in public? He could have been taken by a stranger! He could have gone outside & been hit by a car! We don't live in a "child-safe" world. Then, they reward his bad behavior by giving him two of the toys!! Where are the boundaries? Where are the repercussions? No one wants to put up with these brats of kids, that are brought up without any form of discipline or accountability as they get older. Lazy parenting!

Definitely not safe to leave any child alone in a Public place ever to dangerous, I’m sorry to say but a fact.
Why wasn't the nanny looking after the child, if the parents wanted "alone time".
If the nanny wasn't available and they had to take him to the pub, they should have made sure, they never took their eyes off him, by making him sit at the table and have a meal with them. Never too early to learn how to behave.
As for thinking he was on the swing? How could they? Didn't they even think, for a minute, that he could have got hurt, been kidnapped or worse?
Instead of rewarding him, calling him a cute name and laughing it off, they should have tried explaining to him, as best they could, that it was just not ok to do what he did.

Reminds me when we booked in for a mothers day dinner at a local tavern and they specifically asked me if we had children and I said no all adults so where we sat - right next to the playground and the parents of those children sat as far as possible could be from the play area - just were we would want to be - really did not want to supervise their children, who were playing havoc running all over the restaurant area from the playground to were their parents where dining in the furthest corner from the playground, nearly tripping up staff trying to serve food and just to crown it all off they gave them balloons to bounce around - saw oner diner having one land in the middle of their dish NOT GOOD.