I'm looking to replace my car at the end of the year and have been considering an EV. My home is fully solar so most of the time it would be cheap to charge at home. I would get a better return putting my excess generated into a car than sending it back to the grid. I need an SUV as I can no longer get down low enough to easily get in and out of a sedan. This restricts my choices as I'm not really looking for a big car, most of the time there's only me to transport, by what's available at the moment it looks like it will end up an MG but as they're built in China I'm open to alternative suggestions. :unsure:
We started off with a Corolla hatch hybrid not long after they first came in. We loved it.
Unfortunately, we had to go up a little in size to accommodate 2 mobility aids. We are not ready for full electric, however, hybrid saved us a motza in fuel cost (average $40 for 4-6 weeks).
Then, after lots of looking, trying, stock chasing (there were not many around at the time), and cost comparisons we found our Yaris Cross. It's a great car that I would describe as a little SUV. The brand Yaris is misleading, because, it is just as good as the Corolla. There are 2 models and we bought the standard. Has all the bells and whistles we need. The model up has things like GPS and maybe different trim, etc.
I now see that Toyota has brought out a Corolla Cross. I've seen it at the dealership when in for service and it looks quite nice. That again has the same wheelbase as the sedan/hatch, and just as many standard items. There's the Camry cross, but we are getting up in price.
Always do the research based on your own needs. We were pleased to see the footprint of the Cross is the same as the Yaris sedan. Fits in the garage quite well. Also, we had the salesman bring it to our place the test the garage. Doesn't hurt to check.
We could not go past the Toyota range of Hybrids. I feel they are good prices for the car you get. Honda also has a nice range, but are a little more expensive. Most reputable brands are bringing out hybrids, not so many fully electric. I am sure your research will see more and more choices surface.
Hope you find what you need. You won't be sorry once you get one.

Reactions: Ricci
We started off with a Corolla hatch hybrid not long after they first came in. We loved it.
Unfortunately, we had to go up a little in size to accommodate 2 mobility aids. We are not ready for full electric, however, hybrid saved us a motza in fuel cost (average $40 for 4-6 weeks).
Then, after lots of looking, trying, stock chasing (there were not many around at the time), and cost comparisons we found our Yaris Cross. It's a great car that I would describe as a little SUV. The brand Yaris is misleading, because, it is just as good as the Corolla. There are 2 models and we bought the standard. Has all the bells and whistles we need. The model up has things like GPS and maybe different trim, etc.
I now see that Toyota has brought out a Corolla Cross. I've seen it at the dealership when in for service and it looks quite nice. That again has the same wheelbase as the sedan/hatch, and just as many standard items. There's the Camry cross, but we are getting up in price.
Always do the research based on your own needs. We were pleased to see the footprint of the Cross is the same as the Yaris sedan. Fits in the garage quite well. Also, we had the salesman bring it to our place the test the garage. Doesn't hurt to check.
We could not go past the Toyota range of Hybrids. I feel they are good prices for the car you get. Honda also has a nice range, but are a little more expensive. Most reputable brands are bringing out hybrids, not so many fully electric. I am sure your research will see more and more choices surface.
Hope you find what you need. You won't be sorry once you get one.
I have read where there are little oddities with the MG like the external mirrors don't have enough movement for some people so they need to move their head a lot to actually see in mirrors, they can leak , plus other little things as their quality control isn't geat. Best to buy Japanese if You can.

Reactions: Ricci