'They lost it all’: How winning the lottery turned into a nightmare for some winners

While winning the lottery may be a dream come true for many, research has found that nearly 70 per cent of big winners end up broke within just a few years.

What starts as excitement often dissolves into despair—as temptation, poor financial decisions, and dysfunctional family dynamics take their toll.

Stories from across Australia shared on social media reveal how suddenly coming into millions can destroy relationships and financial security.

One Aussie shared that winning the lottery 'ruined' their extended family.

SDC 3.png
Aussies shared their stories about lottery winners who had negative experiences after winning. Image source: The Lott.

'My uncle won in 2014, and he left the country because my aunt started telling everyone. It ruined my family,' they shared.

'My parents would get phone calls every day from family members asking where my uncle was. I went travelling a few years later and they spread rumours that my uncle was funding my life.'

'How much does it cost to rip a family apart? $5-10M.'

They added that they had not spoken to their uncle since he had fled the country, and they aren’t even aware if he was still alive.

Another Aussie shared: 'A girl's family I went to high school with won $10M about 20 years ago, I think. She never really spoke about it because it tore her family apart.'

While a third talked about the downfall of a family friend who won millions in the 1990s.

'Have a family friend who won Div 1 in the mid ‘90s. About $8million back then,' they explained.

'Long story short, they lost it all, and when I mean lost it all—I mean actual bankruptcy.'

One spoke about a family member who won over a million dollars and spent most of it on extravagant purchases in a week, despite getting financial advice after winning the lottery.

'One won $1.5m, got some really great advice [which was] structured and would have given him a good income for rest of his life, but a week later, he spunked $240k on a new Range Rover, $150k on a new M4 Convertible for his wife, $150k on a caravan and was back working on his mobile fish and chip trailer six months later,' they said.

Another shared a distressing story about an Aussie woman who won $22 million in the lottery, only to be exploited by her long-lost brother.

In just six months, the brother managed to take away $7 million from her with requests like a new car, a holiday, a new house, and a business to facilitate quitting FIFO (Fly-in, Fly-out) work.

'When the final amount was paid, she never heard from him again. She was quite simple and only bought a 4-bed house in the burbs and a new Commodore—it was sad as she genuinely thought she had rekindled their relationship.'

The outpouring of stories also brings to mind more infamous stories of post-win misfortunes. Below are some known winners and their horror stories after winning the lottery:

Sherif Girgis was just 23 when he landed a $30 million jackpot in 2007.

He made a series of investments under the guidance of real estate agent and City of Joondalup Deputy Mayor Russell Poliwka.

Girgis spent lavishly on a pub, nightclub, and an 80-foot catamaran. He also bought a block of land with waterfront views.

But failed ventures left him with just $5 million by 2012. He also found out that his investments were overpriced.

He later sued his advisor for $3.5 million, winning $2 million for 'misleading or deceptive representation' and 'negligent advice'.

While some stories end in financial ruin, others end with lives also lost.

In 1960, Sydney-based winner Bazil Thorne won £100,000 (over $1.7 million today).

His 8-year-old son Graeme was kidnapped and killed for a ransom worth £25,000 (around $425,000 today), permanently altering lottery policy in Australia.

Winners in Australia can now request anonymity after Thorne’s case.

In 2011, winner Maria Devrell from Tamworth picked her friend Peter Kelly to manage her $5 million prize. But after failed investments in Fiji and the NSW Central Coast, Kelly flew into a rage, bashed Maria to death with a plastic-covered rubber mallet during an argument and strangled her.

He was found guilty of murder and was sentenced to 18 years in prison.

Kelly later disclosed to the police that he was 'sick' of hearing Maria 'complaining and blaming everyone [else] for her problems'.

Another Australian pensioner, Frank Kemmler, who won $60,000 in the lottery, thought that his dream had finally come true and that he had a chance to enjoy some financial freedom.

But his joy was short-lived when he discovered the harsh reality of his newfound wealth: his pension would be taken away.

Now, Frank is on a mission to warn other pensioners about the potential pitfalls of playing the lottery.

'I'm just trying to stop other people falling into the same trap,' he told a news source.

'If I'd known then what I know now, I would've given the win to my daughter and kept the pension for myself…So much for being lucky.'

You can read more about Frank’s story here.

While most of the stories revealed the negative consequences of winning the lottery, some Aussies also shared positive experiences.

'Father-in-law's friend won several million, bought a cattle station and lived his best life,' one shared.

'I was a local banker at a small town branch, and a local lady in her 50s who was a client won quite a lot of money,' another added.

'She was enjoying her life before, and she was happy afterwards.'

Another told the story about their boyfriend’s childhood friend who won $800,000 around 15 years ago.

'He put it into a high interest savings account, bought a property that he rented out while he still lived with his mum (he was 19) and has never worked a day since.'

'He apparently sat down with a financial advisor, and they set it up so he could draw a very humble “wage” amount out each month without it affecting his interest earned too much.'

'He now owns several properties after making some smart investments in the stock market and continues to flourish. Wife, 3 kids, happy days. He’s a lovely bloke.'
Key Takeaways
  • Research has found that 70 per cent of lottery winners end up in financial ruin.
  • In a thread shared on social media, Aussies shared their stories of how lottery wins went horribly wrong for their friends and family.
  • One pensioner who won the lottery had his pension taken away due to Centrelink rules.
  • Some Aussies also shared positive experiences and stories of lottery winners.
Members, do you know anyone who has won the lottery? How did things turn out for them? Share your stories and thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
A workmate of mine back in the late 70's had a large lottery win. He left our employment without a word about his wjn. He leased a petrol station, bough a speed boat, bought a luxury car for a girlfriend, bought shares in racehorses and bought a townhouse for his girlfriend. Unfortunately, his wife found out about the girlfriend so she filed for divorce. The girlfriend found out that he was married, so she took off from him. The racehorse venture fell flat, costing a lot of money for training and agistment. His wife sued for half of his winnings, which had by then almost disappeared, He was ordered to pay up to his wife, and he was in deep trouble with some shady figures from the racing game. He had to find money quickly, so he began robbing banks. it got to a point where he was in that much trouble that he walked into a bank, took his mask off, looked up at the surveillance camera and sort of asked the police to come get him because he would be safer with them. He spent 12 years in jail.
Wow! Sounds like a great movie plot! Or an interesting novel. I'd watch or read it for sure! Sad quirks of life really 🤔

Probably a good idea if you and @mylittletibbies use the private conversation facility at the top of the right hand of the page next to your username. The envelop thingy. For the sake of privacy and confidentiality for you both. Not saying there are some weirdos on SDC but better safe than sorry.

Sorry for the intrusion....
No intrusion,thanks for the tip, too trusting hard together out of the habit.

Thank you Leenie, your daughter will see my email address on the email I sent you.
Ok thank you
Probably a good idea if you and @mylittletibbies use the private conversation facility at the top of the right hand of the page next to your username. The envelop thingy. For the sake of privacy and confidentiality for you both. Not saying there are some weirdos on SDC but better safe than sorry.

No intrusion, thanks for the tip, too trusting hard to get out of the habit

Reactions: Veggiepatch
The quote is : The love of money is the root of all evil.
Yes, it is. The trouble over mother in law's will was terrible. The eldest son had got his mother to change her will in his favour, she was quite scared of him. Consequence being he has lost his whole family. Not worth it IMO.

Thank goodness my brother and I had no such problems, we both accepted
my mother's will as her wishes.