The ultimate guide to making your linen closet a clean and organised space

It can get quite frustrating to organise your linen sheets, especially when different garments mix with one another.

So, if you're anything like us who struggle with keeping your 'linen cupboard' clutter-free, then you might consider reading on to learn more about the foolproof tips for keeping a well-organised closet.

4JdIe3TvVUrQjSLfWdgJ5YtwX4n2PAPcXbtXNPMr62_5wVmI8epnPLFQr0150e5T6Kt9g3D6gX1ijxaCHlI4r3KNgFvssfinOeBxhf5AMSroSR_6fONbqtM65jbsjfV-SQujc00

Organising your linen sheets can get quite frustrating because fabrics always mix with one another. Credit: Getty Images.

1. Declutter

Getting rid of things you no longer use helps in saving up space in your linen closet. A good way to do this is to put everything into a separate container. Once you use an item from the container, return it to the closet.Then, after a few months, everything still in that container is obviously not being used, and might be worth chucking away..

2. Arrange everything in a way that has the most used items in the most available spots.

Keeping an "inventory" of the items you use helps you have a better idea of where to place them in your linen cupboard.

We highly suggest that the spare items you use for your guests should be placed at the top and the bottom of the cupboard, while more common items — such as bed linen and towels —should be placed somewhere in the middle.

The bulky items like spare pillows and thick blankets should be kept at the very top shelf of the linen cupboard.

3. Grouping similar items together

Speaking of keeping an "inventory", grouping similar items together will help you locate them easily, preventing you from disorganising them whenever you're looking for an item.

For those who are looking for ideas on which items you should keep, below are some suggestions:

• Bed linen
  • Extra bedding, such as pillows as quilts
  • Bath towels, hand towels, face washers
  • Spare guest bedding and linen
  • Spare throw rugs

4. Deodorising your linen closet

It can't be denied that linen closets can get quite smelly, especially when you have linen sheets that have been sitting on the cupboard for months.

If you're looking for tricks to keep your linen closet from smelling, here are some tips for you!

a. Don’t overcrowd your linen cupboard
Allowing the air to circulate in your linen closet keeps your sheets from getting the dreaded musty smell.

b. Linen needs to be dry
Making sure that the linen sheets are dry before storing them in your closet also prevents them from getting a musty smell.

c. Use the power of scents
Keeping a diffuser or a box of soap inside your linen closet allows the air to absorb the scent, making the sheets smell fresh. It is recommended to keep the scent fresh and floral instead of the woody and sweet scents.

If you're looking for more tips, this YouTube creator shared 15 tips for organising your linen closet:

Credit: YouTube/MissLizHeart

Do you know of any other tips to organise your linen closet? Share them with us in the comments below so other members can use them too!

Sponsored
I recently decluttered my linen press for the first time in years. Sent all the single bed linen except for 2 sets plus tablecloths etc etc to Salvos for distribution to anyone in need. It looks amazing and so easy to find what I need.

It can get quite frustrating to organise your linen sheets, especially when different garments mix with one another.

So, if you're anything like us who struggle with keeping your 'linen cupboard' clutter-free, then you might consider reading on to learn more about the foolproof tips for keeping a well-organised closet.

4JdIe3TvVUrQjSLfWdgJ5YtwX4n2PAPcXbtXNPMr62_5wVmI8epnPLFQr0150e5T6Kt9g3D6gX1ijxaCHlI4r3KNgFvssfinOeBxhf5AMSroSR_6fONbqtM65jbsjfV-SQujc00

Organising your linen sheets can get quite frustrating because fabrics always mix with one another. Credit: Getty Images.

1. Declutter

Getting rid of things you no longer use helps in saving up space in your linen closet. A good way to do this is to put everything into a separate container. Once you use an item from the container, return it to the closet.Then, after a few months, everything still in that container is obviously not being used, and might be worth chucking away..

2. Arrange everything in a way that has the most used items in the most available spots.

Keeping an "inventory" of the items you use helps you have a better idea of where to place them in your linen cupboard.

We highly suggest that the spare items you use for your guests should be placed at the top and the bottom of the cupboard, while more common items — such as bed linen and towels —should be placed somewhere in the middle.

The bulky items like spare pillows and thick blankets should be kept at the very top shelf of the linen cupboard.

3. Grouping similar items together

Speaking of keeping an "inventory", grouping similar items together will help you locate them easily, preventing you from disorganising them whenever you're looking for an item.

For those who are looking for ideas on which items you should keep, below are some suggestions:

• Bed linen
  • Extra bedding, such as pillows as quilts
  • Bath towels, hand towels, face washers
  • Spare guest bedding and linen
  • Spare throw rugs

4. Deodorising your linen closet

It can't be denied that linen closets can get quite smelly, especially when you have linen sheets that have been sitting on the cupboard for months.

If you're looking for tricks to keep your linen closet from smelling, here are some tips for you!

a. Don’t overcrowd your linen cupboard
Allowing the air to circulate in your linen closet keeps your sheets from getting the dreaded musty smell.

b. Linen needs to be dry
Making sure that the linen sheets are dry before storing them in your closet also prevents them from getting a musty smell.

c. Use the power of scents
Keeping a diffuser or a box of soap inside your linen closet allows the air to absorb the scent, making the sheets smell fresh. It is recommended to keep the scent fresh and floral instead of the woody and sweet scents.

If you're looking for more tips, this YouTube creator shared 15 tips for organising your linen closet:

Credit: YouTube/MissLizHeart

Do you know of any other tips to organise your linen closet? Share them with us in the comments below so other members can use them too!

I moved into my current home 12 years ago. I decided to have all my sheets and towels the same colour, white. BUT before I did anything I made myself use up the old linen or take it to lifeline...it was great incentive to utilise the old and look forward to a new, organised linen cupboard...oh dear I have just looked in the linen cupboard, time for me to sort and organise again...thank goodness it is colour coordinated!!

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
For years now when I fold my sheets at the clothes line I make it so they and one of the pillow slips can fit neatly in the other pillow slip. Keeps the whole lot together and when you need to make a bed it's all there in one place!!

I reorganise my linen press every now and then and take any things I don't need to the RSPCA op shop. It is amazing what you put in your linen press that sometimes you have totally forgotten about. I only have a very small linen press so need to reorganise regularly. It is those fitted sheets that take up the most room. Must be messy.:cautious:

Woah, so many great ideas! I love organising, it makes me feel mentally organised too. I cut my shelves to sit away from the back of the cupboard, for good air flow. I also have a gizmo to help me fold everything to the same size.

Attachments

• CBA3FC25-C86E-4C65-96DC-36BAE1CB6305.jpeg
    CBA3FC25-C86E-4C65-96DC-36BAE1CB6305.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 12
Woah, so many great ideas! I love organising, it makes me feel mentally organised too. I cut my shelves to sit away from the back of the cupboard, for good air flow. I also have a gizmo to help me fold everything to the same size.
How do you fold your sheets so neatly, what is your gizmo please

I fold bottom, top sheet, quilt cover and pillowcases into one pillowcase. That way I know that everything needed to make the bed in the design shown on the outside pillowcase is all there ready to go. As pillowcases are a uniform size it also makes the stacking the linen cupboard look neat and tidy. Towels however are a different prospect. Every manufacturer has different measurements for the various sizes of towel making uniform folding almost impossible.

Reactions: Liz
I fold bottom, top sheet, quilt cover and pillowcases into one pillowcase. That way I know that everything needed to make the bed in the design shown on the outside pillowcase is all there ready to go. As pillowcases are a uniform size it also makes the stacking the linen cupboard look neat and tidy. Towels however are a different prospect. Every manufacturer has different measurements for the various sizes of towel making uniform folding almost impossible.
Hi Ricci, I will try that. thank you.:)

This is fantastic advice @Ricci, I think I might use this one!

Wow that looks terrific! Such a satisfying setup.

Here is the gizmo I use. I bought it online years ago. It’s great for folding T-shirts too.

Attachments

• 97960476-E3FB-46EF-AA66-F0FD4D391F63.jpeg
    97960476-E3FB-46EF-AA66-F0FD4D391F63.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 5
I read an article some years ago and I wish I'd read it years before.... such a simple trick but saves heaps of time when storing and using linen....... I fold up the sheet set and put it inside the pillow case... then you have the set in one. I also fold the quilt cover into the pillow case.... and all my towels, fold in half then roll up and stack in that way.. I'm sure you fit in more per shelf, and if someone's favourite blue one is on the bottom, they seem to be able to get it out without turning the whole pile into a jumbled mess like they used to!! 👍

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I do that too...have for some years...its great...and try folding towels in half then rolling up...like sausages...they will stack into the shelf and I've found the kids (grandkids and even husbands 🤣) have even been able to pull one from the bottom of the pile without leaving a jumbled mess like they did with neatly folded squares!

Reactions: Ricci and KatKop