The two 'unusual' ingredients in the Queen's favourite breakfast recipe

Everybody has their own fantasies. For some of us, it's getting to dine like royalty.

Imagine being able to enjoy some of the most delicious and decadent dishes, fit for a king or queen. It's no wonder that we sometimes dream of being part of the monarchy!

Unfortunately, most of us will never get to experience that level of luxury. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy some of the royal family's favourite dishes!

In fact, some former royal chefs have been sharing the recipes for some of the royal family's favourite dishes. Just take a look at this scrambled eggs recipe that is said to have been the favourite of the late Queen Elizabeth II!

Chef Lee Holmes has delighted royal fans after revealing the 'secret' recipe for the Queen's go-to breakfast dish, sharing that the recipe was handed to her by a close friend who was 'fortunate enough' to prepare meals for Her Majesty while working as a royal chef at Kensington Palace.

'(The Queen) loved to sometimes start the day with a protein-packed breakfast and these eggs were tailored to the way that she particularly liked them,' she wrote in her journal for the Supercharged Food blog.

TiwR9o6BbSUQgo6nN82Hh_tlom5ih1Jiy2qvVj9iG6oVuf02Kfppo_3SoanG0ZnWUPz-PkNHX_CkOYJyLtr2dvMkVuFoJlz6kvLq_DGAu0jUUJHirOyPNYy0kUvOOtWZtdANK5Ndv0m-f5NK-qTtNnFSge2pt72Be1SFbTRNnBWZC4Mv4aI9nseS

The Queen’s favourite scrambled eggs include two unusual ingredients and are prepared with a specific cooking method. Credit: Lee Holmes/Supercharged Food.

The nutritionist noted that two 'unusual' ingredients—nutmeg and lemon rind—were included in the monarch's 'special' scrambled eggs.

Chef Lee said: 'They really elevate this breakfast dish!'

The Queen’s scrambled eggs recipe

Serves 2

Ingredients

3 organic (brown) eggs
1 tablespoon milk
Sea salt, to taste
1 tablespoon butter or you can use extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Snipped chives and kippers to serve (optional)

Method

1. In a bowl, thoroughly whisk the milk and eggs. Add salt to taste.
2. Heat the butter or olive oil in a small frying pan over low–medium heat.
3. Turn the heat down to low and add the eggs. You should stir them slowly with a spatula to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the lemon zest, nutmeg, and more salt (if prefered) and toss in just before the egg begins to set.
5. Garnish with pepper and chives. Serve immediately while it's warm.

Source: Lee Holmes/Supercharged Food

RVijgxwXI2p4E5Cm1b8fCIVxIh32AkbIOb4U1xmEZgLeSwC6VSQAXGoIXSMzM3yZLhNKJMuZs5lgy4QkxfXjSdejEZkdzbtidWcyjTDZTdj8t7tEVAhWN2foSKQCVGOp3JEf_ppPhoc9EHLL0o4D5Et40LCE7EJL-z-KWHZSar9NPdW2KcWTRjx9

Her Majesty was known to enjoy homegrown fruits and vegetables that are in season. Credit: Tim Graham Photo Library via Getty.

She also revealed that the Queen prefered her eggs prepared in a certain manner.

'The eggs need to be brown, not white, as Her Majesty preferred the taste,' the chef explained.

'And they were always cooked low and slow to make them super creamy and not clumpy.'

Additionally, the former Kensington Palace worker told Chef Lee that the Queen normally had the dish with her 'favourite kippers' in her private dining room at Buckingham Palace, along with a cup of Earl Grey tea and a splash of milk.

The chef shared: 'Ever since I was given this recipe a few years ago, I’ve been making these eggs on the regular and they are spectacular.'

'I always make them when friends come to stay.'

The Queen's other dining habits that Chef Lee disclosed include 'eating with the seasons’ as she was known for her 'love' for enjoying homegrown produce.

While some recipes for the royal family's favourite dishes have been floating around the internet for years, we can still dine like royalty without following them! By preparing our food with love, we are investing our time and energy into creating something special.

When we take the time to cook for ourselves and our loved ones, we are showing them that we care.

And when we cook with love, we can taste the difference. Our food is more flavourful and nutritious, and we can feel good about providing our bodies with the fuel they need to thrive!

So, there you have it, folks! Do you have some 'specialty' recipes that you think the royal family should try? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I've used nutmeg in eggs before but not both lemon and nutmeg.

I would class this as unusual, I was expecting something gross.

I will definitely try this recipe minus the kippers then again that could be the unique part KIPPERS yuk.

Using fresh chives in scrambled eggs adds a really nice taste.

I always cook with Love ❤ 😍

Having owned chooks before, I had to giggle at the brown eggs! The colour of the eggshell is all about the colour of the chicken that laid it, and has no bearing on the quality of the egg at all. White chooks lay white eggs, darker chooks lay eggs of varying shades of brown. There is even an unusual breed of chicken called an Araucana that lays blue/lilac eggs!

Having owned chooks before, I had to giggle at the brown eggs! The colour of the eggshell is all about the colour of the chicken that laid it, and has no bearing on the quality of the egg at all. White chooks lay white eggs, darker chooks lay eggs of varying shades of brown. There is even an unusual breed of chicken called an Araucana that lays blue/lilac eggs!
Yes we have chickens no difference between brown or white eggs

Reactions: Suzy88 and Ezzy