The truth about the financial struggles of a pensioner

It's certainly no walk in the park being a pensioner in today's world as the economic pinch continues to tighten.

One pensioner, Karen, came forward to share her truth about the trials of living as a pensioner, shedding light on the intricacies of the ‘art of making ends meet’.

compressed-photo-1611187357893-f76fb7264408.jpeg
Being a pensioner is far from easy today, as the increasing costs make it challenging to make ends meet. Image by rvisuals from unsplash

This had us diving deep into the budgeting, innovative strategies, and tactics people have mastered to navigate the seas of financial uncertainty.

First and foremost, let's acknowledge the role that ALDI has played in the lives of those who want to save more.

As Karen noted, ALDI is a lifesaver for kitchen staples—from veggies and cheese to meat. But beware the middle aisles, she warns, where irresistible treats sure to take a nip at the wallet lurk.

For items not offered at ALDI, Karen turns to Woolworths, armed with information from online catalogues showcasing their deals of the day or week. We think this is a tip everyone should take on board! You can also find the supermarket ‘Deals of the Week’ here on our forum.

It's also worth noting that Karen has adopted the habit of freezing meals. From hearty pumpkin soup to the familiarity of Spaghetti Bolognese, she cooks in bulk and freezes in portions, ensuring nutritious meals are always on hand.

Dwindling meat consumption due to sky-high prices has nudged Karen towards a more vegetarian-oriented diet, a transition she seems not to mind. Perhaps this is a silver lining we could all embrace for both our wallets and our health!

When it comes to detergents, laundry powders and, well, general housekeeping items, ALDI, she testifies, is the place to go.

compressed-photo-1625690987114-86f5af994b49.jpeg
The financial struggles faced by pensioners are becoming more pronounced as the economic pressure tightens. Image by formatarw from unsplash

But saving money extends beyond the kitchen. With petrol prices making a relatively short drive feel like a luxury cruise, she opts for consolidating trips into one outing.

To shield against the weather, Karen makes do without air-conditioning or heating appliances. She has found comfort in good, old-fashioned methods, such as a heated blanket for winter and a hand fan for the summer.

Karen has also swapped cafes for lovely walks at the beach or botanic gardens—still with friends but now accompanied by a thermos, replacing expensive takeaway coffee.

‘Bring a plate’ meals and more homebound activities have become a mainstay in her routines, illustrating that financial limitations don’t have to restrict the joy of life and building meaningful friendships.

Key Takeaways
  • The realities of managing financial matters as a pensioner can be challenging due to rising costs on essential items like food and utilities.
  • Karen mentioned using cost-saving strategies like avoiding expensive items, buying in bulk and making batches of meals to freeze and consume slowly.
  • Money-saving strategies also include limiting car trips, making do with old clothes, swapping items with friends, and regulating temperature without modern conveniences to save on power bills.
  • Personal and social life adjusts to the pension lifestyle, such as meeting friends in free outdoor spaces and fostering a warm and inviting home environment.
Living on a fixed income is an undeniably tough gig, but Karen poignantly expressed that creativity and resourcefulness can go a long way.

If you're looking for great deals and discounts, check out our forum dedicated to sharing the best deals, discounts, and bargains available. These deals can help you save significant money on a wide range of products and services. You might also like to check out our Discount Directory.

What are your thoughts on the tips and struggles mentioned in the article? Are you aware of the additional cost-saving strategies or creative approaches to managing expenses that could help others make ends meet?

Sponsored
I have discovered a few good and bad things (for me) I didn't notice that a minimum of two loaves of bread a week and many pastas based or rice-based meals and having cereal each morning was doing to my waistline.
Hydrate don't carbohydrate is my message to me. I stopped all cane sugar product (I never take lab coat mixed sweeteners) and began using coconut sugar.

I now by cabbage, shed it, add flour garlic and egg and make patties to replace bread I store these in my freezer.

I by 2 packs of BASA fish from Aldi and a couple of lettuce, a fortnight (which I continuously wrap back up in alfoil so they stay fresh. and wrap my cooked fish (in butter) for that tasty crunch.

Next food saving tip is I first pour in a packet of large tapioca pearly into water and boil until translucent and put to one side.

Then in a HUGE pot I do a bachelors Fridge and cupboard mix that usually starts off with about four pre-braised onions then whatever was in the seconds of the local fruit shop, broccoli, parsnips etc etc etc.

I boil that up, adding a packet of frozen veges for Aldi and concentrated vege juice then I dollop or splodge (male cooking measurements) Kikkoman sauce, chili sauce, pepper and spice etc and taste. Normally it great, but it can require some creativity till it's delicious.

Then tumble in the tapioca, keep stirring the pot, as we don't want it to inhabit the bottom. When cooked move off the heat and if possible, decant into a similar sized large container (I deliberately purchased two.

When it has cooled, decant into about five containers and store in the freezer as easy meals.
I discovered that tapioca especial when heated up on the second day, turns into an extremely Moorish silken consistency.

Why I do all this is because of the cost savings, the taste and because ABSOLUTELY since cutting out the carbs, I have noticed that this, is reducing my waistline.

Note apples and pears boiled with coconut sugar (it kills the bacteria that causes tooth decay) when combined with tapioca and custard make a Moorish storable sweet treat.

It's certainly no walk in the park being a pensioner in today's world as the economic pinch continues to tighten.

One pensioner, Karen, came forward to share her truth about the trials of living as a pensioner, shedding light on the intricacies of the ‘art of making ends meet’.

View attachment 24727
Being a pensioner is far from easy today, as the increasing costs make it challenging to make ends meet. Image by rvisuals from unsplash

This had us diving deep into the budgeting, innovative strategies, and tactics people have mastered to navigate the seas of financial uncertainty.

First and foremost, let's acknowledge the role that ALDI has played in the lives of those who want to save more.

As Karen noted, ALDI is a lifesaver for kitchen staples—from veggies and cheese to meat. But beware the middle aisles, she warns, where irresistible treats sure to take a nip at the wallet lurk.

For items not offered at ALDI, Karen turns to Woolworths, armed with information from online catalogues showcasing their deals of the day or week. We think this is a tip everyone should take on board! You can also find the supermarket ‘Deals of the Week’ here on our forum.

It's also worth noting that Karen has adopted the habit of freezing meals. From hearty pumpkin soup to the familiarity of Spaghetti Bolognese, she cooks in bulk and freezes in portions, ensuring nutritious meals are always on hand.

Dwindling meat consumption due to sky-high prices has nudged Karen towards a more vegetarian-oriented diet, a transition she seems not to mind. Perhaps this is a silver lining we could all embrace for both our wallets and our health!

When it comes to detergents, laundry powders and, well, general housekeeping items, ALDI, she testifies, is the place to go.

View attachment 24728
The financial struggles faced by pensioners are becoming more pronounced as the economic pressure tightens. Image by formatarw from unsplash

But saving money extends beyond the kitchen. With petrol prices making a relatively short drive feel like a luxury cruise, she opts for consolidating trips into one outing.

To shield against the weather, Karen makes do without air-conditioning or heating appliances. She has found comfort in good, old-fashioned methods, such as a heated blanket for winter and a hand fan for the summer.

Karen has also swapped cafes for lovely walks at the beach or botanic gardens—still with friends but now accompanied by a thermos, replacing expensive takeaway coffee.

‘Bring a plate’ meals and more homebound activities have become a mainstay in her routines, illustrating that financial limitations don’t have to restrict the joy of life and building meaningful friendships.

Key Takeaways

• The realities of managing financial matters as a pensioner can be challenging due to rising costs on essential items like food and utilities.
  • Karen mentioned using cost-saving strategies like avoiding expensive items, buying in bulk and making batches of meals to freeze and consume slowly.
  • Money-saving strategies also include limiting car trips, making do with old clothes, swapping items with friends, and regulating temperature without modern conveniences to save on power bills.
  • Personal and social life adjusts to the pension lifestyle, such as meeting friends in free outdoor spaces and fostering a warm and inviting home environment.
Living on a fixed income is an undeniably tough gig, but Karen poignantly expressed that creativity and resourcefulness can go a long way.

If you're looking for great deals and discounts, check out our forum dedicated to sharing the best deals, discounts, and bargains available. These deals can help you save significant money on a wide range of products and services. You might also like to check out our Discount Directory.

What are your thoughts on the tips and struggles mentioned in the article? Are you aware of the additional cost-saving strategies or creative approaches to managing expenses that could help others make ends meet?
I really do think it's a big struggle for single pensioners. The money just isn't there. We get a couples part pension with a carer allowance and a defence pension as well but what is given with one hand is taken from the other as the defence pension is classified as income. We manage but can struggle if a big item needs to be purchased. Whilst hubby has 3 meals a day I usually have two. I buy mostly meat, some steak and cheaper cuts to make stews out of. We rarely eat vegetables. I am going back to making my own bone broth as it's very good if it is made well and if the bones used are meaty you can take the meat off for extra meals. I'm about to do this today. I use a slow cooker for this. A table spoon or two of apple cider vinegar in with the bones helps draw the nutrients out of the bones and into the broth. We also eat eggs. They are relatively cheap in the scheme of things. I won't got vegetarian as being older I need to get the protein levels high and plant based protein isn't as bio available to the body as meat protein. If you are lucky to have a good butcher locally they may offer some cheaper cuts if you can buy in bulk. Brisket and chuck steak are good. Also most supermarkets offer lamb off cuts. These can be picked through to find enough to fry up or just stew them. Lots of stuff out there that is nutrient dense and satisfying. We don't need all the extraneous processed stuff

I have discovered a few good and bad things (for me) I didn't notice that a minimum of two loaves of bread a week and many pastas based or rice-based meals and having cereal each morning was doing to my waistline.
Hydrate don't carbohydrate is my message to me. I stopped all cane sugar product (I never take lab coat mixed sweeteners) and began using coconut sugar.

I now by cabbage, shed it, add flour garlic and egg and make patties to replace bread I store these in my freezer.

I by 2 packs of BASA fish from Aldi and a couple of lettuce, a fortnight (which I continuously wrap back up in alfoil so they stay fresh. and wrap my cooked fish (in butter) for that tasty crunch.

Next food saving tip is I first pour in a packet of large tapioca pearly into water and boil until translucent and put to one side.

Then in a HUGE pot I do a bachelors Fridge and cupboard mix that usually starts off with about four pre-braised onions then whatever was in the seconds of the local fruit shop, broccoli, parsnips etc etc etc.

I boil that up, adding a packet of frozen veges for Aldi and concentrated vege juice then I dollop or splodge (male cooking measurements) Kikkoman sauce, chili sauce, pepper and spice etc and taste. Normally it great, but it can require some creativity till it's delicious.

Then tumble in the tapioca, keep stirring the pot, as we don't want it to inhabit the bottom. When cooked move off the heat and if possible, decant into a similar sized large container (I deliberately purchased two.

When it has cooled, decant into about five containers and store in the freezer as easy meals.
I discovered that tapioca especial when heated up on the second day, turns into an extremely Moorish silken consistency.

Why I do all this is because of the cost savings, the taste and because ABSOLUTELY since cutting out the carbs, I have noticed that this, is reducing my waistline.

Note apples and pears boiled with coconut sugar (it kills the bacteria that causes tooth decay) when combined with tapioca and custard make a Moorish storable sweet treat.
You do know that "Basa" is Catfish? mainly imported from the sewerage polluted rivers of Asia.

I really do think it's a big struggle for single pensioners. The money just isn't there. We get a couples part pension with a carer allowance and a defence pension as well but what is given with one hand is taken from the other as the defence pension is classified as income. We manage but can struggle if a big item needs to be purchased. Whilst hubby has 3 meals a day I usually have two. I buy mostly meat, some steak and cheaper cuts to make stews out of. We rarely eat vegetables. I am going back to making my own bone broth as it's very good if it is made well and if the bones used are meaty you can take the meat off for extra meals. I'm about to do this today. I use a slow cooker for this. A table spoon or two of apple cider vinegar in with the bones helps draw the nutrients out of the bones and into the broth. We also eat eggs. They are relatively cheap in the scheme of things. I won't got vegetarian as being older I need to get the protein levels high and plant based protein isn't as bio available to the body as meat protein. If you are lucky to have a good butcher locally they may offer some cheaper cuts if you can buy in bulk. Brisket and chuck steak are good. Also most supermarkets offer lamb off cuts. These can be picked through to find enough to fry up or just stew them. Lots of stuff out there that is nutrient dense and satisfying. We don't need all the extraneous processed stuff
My husband like verges .Now l buy small amount of fresh vegetables and slice them all up and fry in olive oil,eg carrot cabbage,mushrooms,capsicum and any other veges l my have frozen or home grown. Add any vege you like.,add herbs if you like. Small amount goes a long way.

always cook in bulk and freeze meals for backup. Often do a starry/stew with whatever food I have at the time and use spices. In summer I grow my own greens. When my staples are discounted I buy bulk. But as dairy and soy and gluten free due to allergy costs are always a concern as replacements are not cheap.

Reactions: Macarj
It's interesting that we are going back to home cooked fresh meals like Mum and Dad made when we were kids. They were delicious and we were healthy without all the additives you find in many prepared foods today. Being retired we have more time to prepare meals and the simpler the better.
The other thing people commented on was the cost of laundry powders etc - I personally like Cold Power and have used it for years but I never buy it until it is on special at Woolies or Coles - so it is half price and these specials come up every month or so. It is also good to check out the Reject Shop as they often have cleaning materials and beauty products on super special.

View attachment 24727

View attachment 24728

Key Takeaways

I have an electric bike (which isnt getting used as much while I'm working 40+ hrs per wk (my time away from work is too valuable), but it saves a fortune on fuel.
Also dont have any subscription services.
Pretty much everything in the article Karen does, I've been doing for quite a while now! But its getting harder & harder as pretty much every regular bill i get now I've received letters from saying prices are increasing, so will be chasing my tail again & having to rehash my already tight budget, unfort!
Am also paranoid about my power & gas usage (I dont even watch tv or listen to radio as energy bills then become unmanageable!)
I have wood heating (heater goes 24/7 here in harsh south west Vic climate), my bro sells me wood cheaper than he sells it to others for at $600 which usually lasts all winter & i like how its paid for upfront rather than getting bill shock afterwards!

My friends & I go to pub to see bands every now & then (free) & I dont drink alcohol (soda water $3 per glass) & if we have a meal out (rarely now), i only order soup or an entree.
I make my own laundry detergent wit borax, velvet soap & electric soda, a batch is 10 litres & it saves me a fortune.

Pretty much everything in the way of food is home made- rarely have take aways- (breadmaker is awesome as is multi cooker)

This is not how i envisaged aging/pre retirement to be (had struggled hard working, (raising kids) & doing without so many things for yrs so i could pay off mortgage & be debt free in twilight yrs, but here i am 61yo working 4 jobs 49hrs (some wks) as a cleaner to try make ends meet & defer breaking the mediochre for super jus a little longer while my health is still reasonable!
I know there are so man yg others doing it much harder than me & I'm very grateful for what i do have, especially my health! Keep hopeful that things will improve soon for everyone!

View attachment 24727

View attachment 24728

Key Takeaways

I also cook a big pot of veggies sometimes with mince and portion up and freeze once a fortnight! Works for me and freeze bread and cheese lasts longer and doesn’t go mouldy!👍

Price Hipster is an app that sends alerts whenever your items falls to a certain price. It also shows price history of items. Most products in rotate through a regular cycle of discount. Using this you can make sure you always buy your regular items at discounted prices. For example, coffee is a luxury but I always buy it at half price.

Reactions: Gsr and Jennie

Basa. Basa is farmed in Vietnam, Thailand, Korea and other places unknown to Me.
These fish our farmed in corrals, with the owners house directly above the corral on the river.
These rivers are slow flowing and polluted, human waste.
Documentary films have shown many farms alongside each other within one hundred yards.
How much human waste are these fish subjected too.
My wife bought some years ago and cooked it up one night, we didn't like the smell of it so gave it to the cat along with raw Basa. During the night She went to the kitchen to get a drink and yelled out to Me "Look at this" The cat's bowl was glowing with Bio luminescence.
AND THAT MY FRIEND IS FACT!!
P.S. Minny the Moggy didn't eat any of the Basa either.

Basa. Basa is farmed in Vietnam, Thailand, Korea and other places unknown to Me.
These fish our farmed in corrals, with the owners house directly above the corral on the river.
These rivers are slow flowing and polluted, human waste.
Documentary films have shown many farms alongside each other within one hundred yards.
How much human waste are these fish subjected too.
My wife bought some years ago and cooked it up one night, we didn't like the smell of it so gave it to the cat along with raw Basa. During the night She went to the kitchen to get a drink and yelled out to Me "Look at this" The cat's bowl was glowing with Bio luminescence.
AND THAT MY FRIEND IS FACT!!
P.S. Minny the Moggy didn't eat any of the Basa either.
Yeah saw those shows talk about poisoning why are they allowed to import fish like that so gross to eat fish from those countries👎

Reactions: Bill MacL
I have an electric bike (which isnt getting used as much while I'm working 40+ hrs per wk (my time away from work is too valuable), but it saves a fortune on fuel.
Also dont have any subscription services.
Pretty much everything in the article Karen does, I've been doing for quite a while now! But its getting harder & harder as pretty much every regular bill i get now I've received letters from saying prices are increasing, so will be chasing my tail again & having to rehash my already tight budget, unfort!
Am also paranoid about my power & gas usage (I dont even watch tv or listen to radio as energy bills then become unmanageable!)
I have wood heating (heater goes 24/7 here in harsh south west Vic climate), my bro sells me wood cheaper than he sells it to others for at $600 which usually lasts all winter & i like how its paid for upfront rather than getting bill shock afterwards!

My friends & I go to pub to see bands every now & then (free) & I dont drink alcohol (soda water $3 per glass) & if we have a meal out (rarely now), i only order soup or an entree.
I make my own laundry detergent wit borax, velvet soap & electric soda, a batch is 10 litres & it saves me a fortune.

Pretty much everything in the way of food is home made- rarely have take aways- (breadmaker is awesome as is multi cooker)

This is not how i envisaged aging/pre retirement to be (had struggled hard working, (raising kids) & doing without so many things for yrs so i could pay off mortgage & be debt free in twilight yrs, but here i am 61yo working 4 jobs 49hrs (some wks) as a cleaner to try make ends meet & defer breaking the mediochre for super jus a little longer while my health is still reasonable!
I know there are so man yg others doing it much harder than me & I'm very grateful for what i do have, especially my health! Keep hopeful that things will improve soon for everyone!
Mabe this is where the KIDS could help a bit, remember those years looking after the young.
Now the roles are reversed the young looking after the OLD, Hmm.

Reactions: Gsr

I will never buy Basa as I went through a very bad case of ciguatera poisoning because of that contaminated fish. It is usually sourced from Indonesia where it breeds in badly polluted streams. I was lucky to be alive after my bout with the sickness.

Freeze it!why waste money on a food saver!🙀
Because anything you have sealed with a food saver will last much longer in the freezer. Plus, your cheese will not go mouldy in the fridge if it has been sealed in the bags of a food saver.