The truth about the financial struggles of a pensioner

It's certainly no walk in the park being a pensioner in today's world as the economic pinch continues to tighten.

One pensioner, Karen, came forward to share her truth about the trials of living as a pensioner, shedding light on the intricacies of the ‘art of making ends meet’.

compressed-photo-1611187357893-f76fb7264408.jpeg
Being a pensioner is far from easy today, as the increasing costs make it challenging to make ends meet. Image by rvisuals from unsplash

This had us diving deep into the budgeting, innovative strategies, and tactics people have mastered to navigate the seas of financial uncertainty.

First and foremost, let's acknowledge the role that ALDI has played in the lives of those who want to save more.

As Karen noted, ALDI is a lifesaver for kitchen staples—from veggies and cheese to meat. But beware the middle aisles, she warns, where irresistible treats sure to take a nip at the wallet lurk.

For items not offered at ALDI, Karen turns to Woolworths, armed with information from online catalogues showcasing their deals of the day or week. We think this is a tip everyone should take on board! You can also find the supermarket ‘Deals of the Week’ here on our forum.

It's also worth noting that Karen has adopted the habit of freezing meals. From hearty pumpkin soup to the familiarity of Spaghetti Bolognese, she cooks in bulk and freezes in portions, ensuring nutritious meals are always on hand.

Dwindling meat consumption due to sky-high prices has nudged Karen towards a more vegetarian-oriented diet, a transition she seems not to mind. Perhaps this is a silver lining we could all embrace for both our wallets and our health!

When it comes to detergents, laundry powders and, well, general housekeeping items, ALDI, she testifies, is the place to go.

compressed-photo-1625690987114-86f5af994b49.jpeg
The financial struggles faced by pensioners are becoming more pronounced as the economic pressure tightens. Image by formatarw from unsplash

But saving money extends beyond the kitchen. With petrol prices making a relatively short drive feel like a luxury cruise, she opts for consolidating trips into one outing.

To shield against the weather, Karen makes do without air-conditioning or heating appliances. She has found comfort in good, old-fashioned methods, such as a heated blanket for winter and a hand fan for the summer.

Karen has also swapped cafes for lovely walks at the beach or botanic gardens—still with friends but now accompanied by a thermos, replacing expensive takeaway coffee.

‘Bring a plate’ meals and more homebound activities have become a mainstay in her routines, illustrating that financial limitations don’t have to restrict the joy of life and building meaningful friendships.

Key Takeaways
  • The realities of managing financial matters as a pensioner can be challenging due to rising costs on essential items like food and utilities.
  • Karen mentioned using cost-saving strategies like avoiding expensive items, buying in bulk and making batches of meals to freeze and consume slowly.
  • Money-saving strategies also include limiting car trips, making do with old clothes, swapping items with friends, and regulating temperature without modern conveniences to save on power bills.
  • Personal and social life adjusts to the pension lifestyle, such as meeting friends in free outdoor spaces and fostering a warm and inviting home environment.
Living on a fixed income is an undeniably tough gig, but Karen poignantly expressed that creativity and resourcefulness can go a long way.

If you're looking for great deals and discounts, check out our forum dedicated to sharing the best deals, discounts, and bargains available. These deals can help you save significant money on a wide range of products and services. You might also like to check out our Discount Directory.

What are your thoughts on the tips and struggles mentioned in the article? Are you aware of the additional cost-saving strategies or creative approaches to managing expenses that could help others make ends meet?

Sponsored
I will never buy Basa as I went through a very bad case of ciguatera poisoning because of that contaminated fish. It is usually sourced from Indonesia where it breeds in badly polluted streams. I was lucky to be alive after my bout with the sickness.
Are you sure, Ciguatera is caused by predatory fish and reef fish.
Basa are neither of these species they are predominately bottom feeders.
Ciguatera is predominantly caused by algae concentrations in bait fish eaten by predators.

I feel that I am better off than a lot of our pensioners I am very careful with my pension which I pay $500.00 a week for rent. Jaz pays the same so we both pay 2 weeks a month each. This of course makes it only $250.00 a week. As I was on a pension I get rent assistance & pay our electric bills by taking an advance on my pension, this is paid back out of the pension each fortnight. I have been doing this since Jaz lost his job 5 years ago it works well for us I go to my Dr. on a pension day once a month so I know there is money to pay her bill in the bank. I then get Jaz to take me to the shopping centre where I finish up in Aldi with all my groceries for 2 for under $ 275.00. I always have enough meat for the fortnight plus the bread we like best & can freeze everything that we need to as we have an upright freezer that Jaz picked up at our local recycling centre for $ 40.00 some 5 years ago it has been worth every cent. I usually have over $ 100.00 left in the bank after my shopping to last for emergencies during the time till the next pension.

Reactions: Littleboy8
It's certainly no walk in the park being a pensioner in today's world as the economic pinch continues to tighten.

One pensioner, Karen, came forward to share her truth about the trials of living as a pensioner, shedding light on the intricacies of the ‘art of making ends meet’.

View attachment 24727
Being a pensioner is far from easy today, as the increasing costs make it challenging to make ends meet. Image by rvisuals from unsplash

This had us diving deep into the budgeting, innovative strategies, and tactics people have mastered to navigate the seas of financial uncertainty.

First and foremost, let's acknowledge the role that ALDI has played in the lives of those who want to save more.

As Karen noted, ALDI is a lifesaver for kitchen staples—from veggies and cheese to meat. But beware the middle aisles, she warns, where irresistible treats sure to take a nip at the wallet lurk.

For items not offered at ALDI, Karen turns to Woolworths, armed with information from online catalogues showcasing their deals of the day or week. We think this is a tip everyone should take on board! You can also find the supermarket ‘Deals of the Week’ here on our forum.

It's also worth noting that Karen has adopted the habit of freezing meals. From hearty pumpkin soup to the familiarity of Spaghetti Bolognese, she cooks in bulk and freezes in portions, ensuring nutritious meals are always on hand.

Dwindling meat consumption due to sky-high prices has nudged Karen towards a more vegetarian-oriented diet, a transition she seems not to mind. Perhaps this is a silver lining we could all embrace for both our wallets and our health!

When it comes to detergents, laundry powders and, well, general housekeeping items, ALDI, she testifies, is the place to go.

View attachment 24728
The financial struggles faced by pensioners are becoming more pronounced as the economic pressure tightens. Image by formatarw from unsplash

But saving money extends beyond the kitchen. With petrol prices making a relatively short drive feel like a luxury cruise, she opts for consolidating trips into one outing.

To shield against the weather, Karen makes do without air-conditioning or heating appliances. She has found comfort in good, old-fashioned methods, such as a heated blanket for winter and a hand fan for the summer.

Karen has also swapped cafes for lovely walks at the beach or botanic gardens—still with friends but now accompanied by a thermos, replacing expensive takeaway coffee.

‘Bring a plate’ meals and more homebound activities have become a mainstay in her routines, illustrating that financial limitations don’t have to restrict the joy of life and building meaningful friendships.

Key Takeaways

• The realities of managing financial matters as a pensioner can be challenging due to rising costs on essential items like food and utilities.
  • Karen mentioned using cost-saving strategies like avoiding expensive items, buying in bulk and making batches of meals to freeze and consume slowly.
  • Money-saving strategies also include limiting car trips, making do with old clothes, swapping items with friends, and regulating temperature without modern conveniences to save on power bills.
  • Personal and social life adjusts to the pension lifestyle, such as meeting friends in free outdoor spaces and fostering a warm and inviting home environment.
Living on a fixed income is an undeniably tough gig, but Karen poignantly expressed that creativity and resourcefulness can go a long way.

If you're looking for great deals and discounts, check out our forum dedicated to sharing the best deals, discounts, and bargains available. These deals can help you save significant money on a wide range of products and services. You might also like to check out our Discount Directory.

What are your thoughts on the tips and struggles mentioned in the article? Are you aware of the additional cost-saving strategies or creative approaches to managing expenses that could help others make ends meet?
I only buy 'treats' like chocolate biscuits or lollies, when they are on special! What I can't get at Aldi, like Denture paste for example, I will go to Woolworths.

Ciguatera is predominantly caused by algae concentrations in bait fish eaten by predators.
I had lived in Cairns for the first 12 years here & we ate a lot of reef fish during that time. As my then-husband was always out fishing with mates. The doctors said my Ciguatera was triggered by polluted bassa with a residue of whatever I had left in my system from the reef fish. I just remember how sick I was. I never want anybody to have to go through that.

Yep with the cheese, can relate definitely- not so much the wine lol
But if the wine is a little "too old" add some olive oil to it and a sprinkle of dried Italian herbs and you have a great salad dressing!

Last edited:
Mabe this is where the KIDS could help a bit, remember those years looking after the young.
Now the roles are reversed the young looking after the OLD, Hmm.
And for those of us with no kids?

I have an electric bike (which isnt getting used as much while I'm working 40+ hrs per wk (my time away from work is too valuable), but it saves a fortune on fuel.
Also dont have any subscription services.
Pretty much everything in the article Karen does, I've been doing for quite a while now! But its getting harder & harder as pretty much every regular bill i get now I've received letters from saying prices are increasing, so will be chasing my tail again & having to rehash my already tight budget, unfort!
Am also paranoid about my power & gas usage (I dont even watch tv or listen to radio as energy bills then become unmanageable!)
I have wood heating (heater goes 24/7 here in harsh south west Vic climate), my bro sells me wood cheaper than he sells it to others for at $600 which usually lasts all winter & i like how its paid for upfront rather than getting bill shock afterwards!

My friends & I go to pub to see bands every now & then (free) & I dont drink alcohol (soda water $3 per glass) & if we have a meal out (rarely now), i only order soup or an entree.
I make my own laundry detergent wit borax, velvet soap & electric soda, a batch is 10 litres & it saves me a fortune.

Pretty much everything in the way of food is home made- rarely have take aways- (breadmaker is awesome as is multi cooker)

This is not how i envisaged aging/pre retirement to be (had struggled hard working, (raising kids) & doing without so many things for yrs so i could pay off mortgage & be debt free in twilight yrs, but here i am 61yo working 4 jobs 49hrs (some wks) as a cleaner to try make ends meet & defer breaking the mediochre for super jus a little longer while my health is still reasonable!
I know there are so man yg others doing it much harder than me & I'm very grateful for what i do have, especially my health! Keep hopeful that things will improve soon for everyone!
I just have to say how refreshing it is to see someone use "my friends and I" instead of "me and my friends" Well done with your money saving tactics too.

Unfortunately we don't even have one Aldi in our state. We are at the mercy of Coles and Woolworths, so we have to be extra careful.

You do know that "Basa" is Catfish? mainly imported from the sewerage polluted
Basa. Basa is farmed in Vietnam, Thailand, Korea and other places unknown to Me.
These fish our farmed in corrals, with the owners house directly above the corral on the river.
These rivers are slow flowing and polluted, human waste.
Documentary films have shown many farms alongside each other within one hundred yards.
How much human waste are these fish subjected too.
My wife bought some years ago and cooked it up one night, we didn't like the smell of it so gave it to the cat along with raw Basa. During the night She went to the kitchen to get a drink and yelled out to Me "Look at this" The cat's bowl was glowing with Bio luminescence.
AND THAT MY FRIEND IS FACT!!
P.S. Minny the Moggy didn't eat any of the Basa either.
Basa. Basa is farmed in Vietnam, Thailand, Korea and other places unknown to Me.
These fish our farmed in corrals, with the owners house directly above the corral on the river.
These rivers are slow flowing and polluted, human waste.
Documentary films have shown many farms alongside each other within one hundred yards.
How much human waste are these fish subjected too.
My wife bought some years ago and cooked it up one night, we didn't like the smell of it so gave it to the cat along with raw Basa. During the night She went to the kitchen to get a drink and yelled out to Me "Look at this" The cat's bowl was glowing with Bio luminescence.
AND THAT MY FRIEND IS FACT!!
P.S. Minny the Moggy didn't eat any of the Basa either.
Don’t blame them they could probably smell Pooh!😹

I feel that I am better off than a lot of our pensioners I am very careful with my pension which I pay $500.00 a week for rent. Jaz pays the same so we both pay 2 weeks a month each. This of course makes it only $250.00 a week. As I was on a pension I get rent assistance & pay our electric bills by taking an advance on my pension, this is paid back out of the pension each fortnight. I have been doing this since Jaz lost his job 5 years ago it works well for us I go to my Dr. on a pension day once a month so I know there is money to pay her bill in the bank. I then get Jaz to take me to the shopping centre where I finish up in Aldi with all my groceries for 2 for under $ 275.00. I always have enough meat for the fortnight plus the bread we like best & can freeze everything that we need to as we have an upright freezer that Jaz picked up at our local recycling centre for $ 40.00 some 5 years ago it has been worth every cent. I usually have over $ 100.00 left in the bank after my shopping to last for emergencies during the time till the next pension.
Savvy!👍

I will never buy Basa as I went through a very bad case of ciguatera poisoning because of that contaminated fish. It is usually sourced from Indonesia where it breeds in badly polluted streams. I was lucky to be alive after my bout with the sickness.
Good to know... thanks for the tip!

Well after reading all these comments, I think I will keep on doing my lollipop job(crossing supervisor job) the lollipop wages supplements the age pension and we don't hardly loose any of the age pension as you are allowed to earn so much, every fortnight we have to let center link know how much I earn, but its worth it. So if you want a bit more money go to your local council and apply for a lollipop job, we are crying out for them, nobody seems to want to work, but I tell you it is worth it. Its good pay and you have all the school holidays and get holiday pay, sick pay long service leave and super. Jan Purcell

I love that so many of us have actual factual information on particular topics, so we can make an informed decision.

when I read that about Basa and looked at the three packets of Basa in my fridge and looked at my butter cooked Basa rolled up in lettuce, for dinner, it did tend to dampen my zest for it somewhat. I really appreciate your feedback, thanks mate x

I had a polish lady living a couple of doors up before the flood that ate carp from the Wilsons River every day. When she told me it surprised me and I said don't they eat in the mud?

She said do you like the taste of catfish? and I said yeah, I used to catch it she said catfish eat in the same place.

About a week later it was Christmas and just after she gave me a Tupperware container and said you try... it was delicious. Then not long after the flood came through. Maybe Basa is like carp and catfish some love it, some hate it, some will never try it..

I’m the same I love chokky🙀had a birthday recently received 3 bags of groceries from woollies full of guess what? Lollies chokky biscuits chips etc🙀compliments of my 2 sisters who know I can’t afford goodies! So much stuff I gave heaps to my elderly neighbour😃she was stoked made me happy too!👍