The spike in your electricity bill from winter heating is a myth and here’s why – including tips to save money on electricity

Most of us dread the winter season because no one enjoys bracing for the freezing weather… To make things worse, our electricity bills also skyrocket during the cold months as we scramble to keep our homes toasty. Or do they?

There are several ways to keep your electricity bills to a minimum and it all boils down to your choice in home heating.

Your read that right – your heating habits in winter are likely the biggest contributors to a spike in your electricity bill. The fact that it takes more energy to heat a space than cool it down means that issues such as a lack of insulation lead to a higher electricity bill.

But don’t fret as some methods are better (and cheaper) than others. Surprisingly, the most cost-efficient way to heat a space is through a reverse cycle air conditioner instead of other forms of heating like a portable electric heater or a gas heater.

wzNc0ybFYM6mcFYVKN95QlpJlruSKrQ7QnpRIBvDhBFnEjKUcWldbQaM3VImImxHiyUK9ju9kUe3eZuRcaFI9xaQ1TqBZFEdC-6aBiS8ZnmxZlLtof2u5TvMBLM_gzz9o4q6MS9pwwzua7qYrcdG0pI

Your choice of heating determines your electricity bill. Source: iStock

Energy Adviser Tim Forcey said that the appliance is the ‘cheapest option.’

‘I can’t believe how many homes I have visited where air conditioners are kept off in favour of other forms of heating,’ he said.

‘We have so thoroughly demonised the use of air conditioners that the message hasn’t got through: airconditioning is the cheapest option.’

According to a report made by Finder, they discovered that on average, operating a reverse-cycle air conditioner costs around 85 cents per day. On the other hand, the average electric heater sums up to $2.32 a day, while the average gas heater sets you back $2.76.

This means that on average, an electric or gas heater costs $1.69 more per day to run in comparison to using a reverse-cycle air conditioner. Throughout the entirety of winter, that adds up to $155.48.

Mr Forcey explained that reverse-cycle air conditioners possess the ‘magic of heat pumps which takes heat from the outside and brings it into your home.’

This saves more energy than electric or gas heaters mainly because these appliances use your energy supply to create heat, which then warms up your home.

He also shared little tricks to improve the appliance’s airflow such as regularly cleaning the filter of the air conditioner. This allows it to operate more efficiently, so it can use less energy and accomplish the same task of heating your home smoothly.

Ufgu64XoWYO1_saXKAjASEw-uscNpECTdK2sKodom3Q3SgRKW2Knni4j0p98I3RCpspXaSi8eucOKkOeNfuq_HiN8-CVF1AMCBvsEbNrT5ERUIJQXfDjG5HkGYvKMX2fV_db675Pr0LPpYgIq7dix48

Make the switch! Source: This Lady Blogs

Tamara DiMattina from the sustainable lifestyle group, The New Joneses, previously revealed a couple of budget-friendly ways to retain heat inside of your home for longer. She said that curtains can offer insulation and protection from night-time chills, as can simple products like door snakes.

And if you’re willing to splurge on a home upgrade, double glazing your windows can also save up to 40 per cent more on electricity, as it prevents draughts from seeping in the cracks around your doors or the other way around – your windows from expelling heat.

‘All of that heat you’re paying for is going to go rushing outside, and the cold is going to come rushing inside,’ Ms DiMattina detailed.

The bottom line is that portable electric and gas heaters are not only more expensive to purchase – especially compared to a wall-mounted reverse cycle air conditioner – but they’ll also potentially cost you more in the long run.

The Australian Energy Council stated that winter electricity bills can soar by $200 due to heating. They also determined that the perfect, cost-efficient winter heat setting is 19 degrees Celsius.

‘It is estimated that every degree over 20 degrees can add 10 per cent to energy use,’ they said.

What do your heating habits look like? Have you tried experimenting with a reverse-cycle air conditioner? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Learn more about reverse-cycle airconditioners by watching the video below:

Source: ConservationACT

Sponsored
I put a hot water bottle in my bed. I will not use any electrical heating. Besides heaters dries the air in a room.

Reactions: Liz
I have not used any form of heating since 1997, when a switch on the old heat bank heater from 1970 stopped working.
I just dress with layers of clothes and when sitting down in the evenings, I use a knee rug.
I wear warm night clothes and have decent bedding on my bed.
My home has double-glazed windows and heavy curtains which I close as the sun starts to set, so that any stored heat from the day doesn't escape into the night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Girl
Most of us dread the winter season because no one enjoys bracing for the freezing weather… To make things worse, our electricity bills also skyrocket during the cold months as we scramble to keep our homes toasty. Or do they?

There are several ways to keep your electricity bills to a minimum and it all boils down to your choice in home heating.

Your read that right – your heating habits in winter are likely the biggest contributors to a spike in your electricity bill. The fact that it takes more energy to heat a space than cool it down means that issues such as a lack of insulation lead to a higher electricity bill.

But don’t fret as some methods are better (and cheaper) than others. Surprisingly, the most cost-efficient way to heat a space is through a reverse cycle air conditioner instead of other forms of heating like a portable electric heater or a gas heater.

wzNc0ybFYM6mcFYVKN95QlpJlruSKrQ7QnpRIBvDhBFnEjKUcWldbQaM3VImImxHiyUK9ju9kUe3eZuRcaFI9xaQ1TqBZFEdC-6aBiS8ZnmxZlLtof2u5TvMBLM_gzz9o4q6MS9pwwzua7qYrcdG0pI

‘I can’t believe how many homes I have visited where air conditioners are kept off in favour of other forms of heating,’ he said.

‘We have so thoroughly demonised the use of air conditioners that the message hasn’t got through: airconditioning is the cheapest option.’

According to a report made by Finder, they discovered that on average, operating a reverse-cycle air conditioner costs around 85 cents per day. On the other hand, the average electric heater sums up to $2.32 a day, while the average gas heater sets you back $2.76.

This means that on average, an electric or gas heater costs $1.69 more per day to run in comparison to using a reverse-cycle air conditioner. Throughout the entirety of winter, that adds up to $155.48.

Mr Forcey explained that reverse-cycle air conditioners possess the ‘magic of heat pumps which takes heat from the outside and brings it into your home.’

This saves more energy than electric or gas heaters mainly because these appliances use your energy supply to create heat, which then warms up your home.

He also shared little tricks to improve the appliance’s airflow such as regularly cleaning the filter of the air conditioner. This allows it to operate more efficiently, so it can use less energy and accomplish the same task of heating your home smoothly.

Ufgu64XoWYO1_saXKAjASEw-uscNpECTdK2sKodom3Q3SgRKW2Knni4j0p98I3RCpspXaSi8eucOKkOeNfuq_HiN8-CVF1AMCBvsEbNrT5ERUIJQXfDjG5HkGYvKMX2fV_db675Pr0LPpYgIq7dix48

Tamara DiMattina from the sustainable lifestyle group, The New Joneses, previously revealed a couple of budget-friendly ways to retain heat inside of your home for longer. She said that curtains can offer insulation and protection from night-time chills, as can simple products like door snakes.

And if you’re willing to splurge on a home upgrade, double glazing your windows can also save up to 40 per cent more on electricity, as it prevents draughts from seeping in the cracks around your doors or the other way around – your windows from expelling heat.

‘All of that heat you’re paying for is going to go rushing outside, and the cold is going to come rushing inside,’ Ms DiMattina detailed.

The bottom line is that portable electric and gas heaters are not only more expensive to purchase – especially compared to a wall-mounted reverse cycle air conditioner – but they’ll also potentially cost you more in the long run.

The Australian Energy Council stated that winter electricity bills can soar by $200 due to heating. They also determined that the perfect, cost-efficient winter heat setting is 19 degrees Celsius.

‘It is estimated that every degree over 20 degrees can add 10 per cent to energy use,’ they said.

What do your heating habits look like? Have you tried experimenting with a reverse-cycle air conditioner? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Once the reverse cycle aircon heats the room turn the control back to 16deg. It will keep the room temperature quite warm all day and uses very little power.

This has been the coldest winter we have ever experienced, mainly, we think, because of the moisture in the soil from huge rains in Feb/March. We have reverse airconditioning which we have used every time we felt we needed it in the last three months. We have just received our latest electricity account for a total of $40 more for than the same period of time last year and this included an increase of the actual cost of electricity. Pure comfort. That was for 91days so less than 50c a day. Good value.

I have reverse cycle air but prefer to use blankets and snuggle up in them.

Reactions: JayKay

19 degrees C?? That's freezing!

• Haha
Reactions: Vinylted
I have not used any form of heating since 1997, when a switch on the old heat bank heater from 1970 stopped working.
I just dress with layers of clothes and when sitting down in the evenings, I use a knee rug.
I wear warm night clothes and have decent bedding on my bed.
My home has double-glazed windows and heavy curtains which I close as the sun starts to set, so that any stored heat from the day doesn't escape into the night.
I bet you don't live in Tassie or Ballarat, or Canberra or Albury oops the list is long.. lol