The 'shocking' reason customers avoid this supermarket

The customers in this particular shopping centre are in for a bit of a shock, and we mean that quite literally!

According to reports from an Adelaide shopping centre, several customers received more than they bargained for when they tried to retrieve things from shelves and received mild electric shocks.

daHoaZs3pEcoS5ELrbWMTiEI2QCz-vxtn_3C9na7GoBbf3HIHc01OMu1B75jhqgBpf7XfXqGdxIZHZBme9bEnL2Lt2NlilApwk0VY5S98o7wAwndIZX0lY2w0bavms6NWiPSOUiIXXbzkTj-6Cf1Cr8

Adelaide shoppers are having a strange experience while shopping. Credit: ABC News.

A few days ago, the problem at the Brighton Foodland was reported in a Facebook post, which has now received dozens of reactions from fellow shoppers.

Shane Lavida was the first to post to a local community page, which started the dialogue surrounding the strange incidents. She asked: 'Anyone else get massive electric shocks when shopping at Brighton Foodland?'

'It's not a pleasant experience, and I was never a natural break dancer until I started getting zapped there.'

Others who had also been zapped online shared their stories in response to her question. One fellow customer wrote in the comments section of her post, saying: 'Every time I go there, I get shocked. I avoid the store now if I can. It's been a hot topic locally for a long time.'

A second agreed and added, 'Happens to me all the time and is not pleasant, so hopefully, a solution can be found.'

Many victims have blamed their footwear, while others have said the shock is most noticeable between the refrigerator and the dog food aisles.

'I get shocks all the time at Brighton Foodland. Thought it must have been caused by my shoes. Very unpleasant,' one of them shared. 'Happens most visits for me. Also depends on what shoes I'm wearing. Sneakers are the worst culprits,' wrote a second.

Even though most customers were upset, a few of them found the 'shocking' turn of events to be quite amusing. Just your average Aussie, if we do say so ourselves.

LJy6eK383KkGzFIyZlNHdxvNDKonCdj_d_6x3TWII2_SHO1SNkX4KAjSQki7qnL0458c2p-3SQJiFO4cZFgsp32BqTQ9n66-giCrhJxrWcpBusmFkipkAF7iEokheyN2Ba3gBSLw1pOdLpmeY96MYhs

Customers have said they felt the shocks between the fridge section and the dog food aisle. Credit: Facebook/Brighton Foodland.

It is believed that the issue is caused by static electricity.

Foodland's chief executive, Franklin dos Santos, told news outlets that the store was looking for ways to stop the shocks because it's starting to get pretty bothersome (and annoying as well) for the unlucky shoppers.

'The store has done absolutely everything they can to try and address the issue at the moment,' he said.

'Fundamentally, there's a lot of moisture that occurs in the supermarket. If you think about the fridges, you think about the environment that you're in, they discharge refrigeration moisture into the air.'

Mr. dos Santos continued by saying that antistatic wheels are being tested on shopping carts and that electricians have put dehumidifiers in the air conditioning to address the situation.

And apparently, customers at Brighton Foodland aren't the only ones getting the zap treatment from their local store, as Mr Lavida's message has prompted others to share their own similar stories.

vBsVCi9kuSav2bZNJLXwmlZEmWQt0jvtD-_LnbIDR139CyfMTUbJmmlaoo_2lpw25yGVHUdcq2Ctp49tz3KMq2xoW-24eCRTq73CS6L0GoW_XUV6NDPyADCq6b-OK4FuQRQbQoB8_S3DJv7WqcbrBEY

Adelaide shoppers reported a similar situation at Munno Para, Parabanks, and Woodside Foodland. Credit: Facebook/Munno Para Foodland.

There were several retail centres in Adelaide, including Munno Para, Parabanks, and Woodside Foodland, where shoppers reported encountering a similar situation.

'Happens to me all the time at Munno Para too. It's our plastic shoes and static electricity build-up, pity I touch a shelf and not another person because that would be more fun,' one customer joked.

Outside of this particular Adelaide grocery store, we think most of us can say that we've encountered something similar. There you are, strolling along a carpeted floor when suddenly you reach out for the doorknob and feel a sharp buzz…

But what triggers that all too familiar zap of static electricity? The science behind the phenomenon is explained in the video below.

What do you think about this story, folks? Have you had any similar experiences in the supermarket? Or maybe even in your home? Share them with us in the comments!

Credit: TED-Ed.

Sponsored
The customers in this particular shopping centre are in for a bit of a shock, and we mean that quite literally!

According to reports from an Adelaide shopping centre, several customers received more than they bargained for when they tried to retrieve things from shelves and received mild electric shocks.

daHoaZs3pEcoS5ELrbWMTiEI2QCz-vxtn_3C9na7GoBbf3HIHc01OMu1B75jhqgBpf7XfXqGdxIZHZBme9bEnL2Lt2NlilApwk0VY5S98o7wAwndIZX0lY2w0bavms6NWiPSOUiIXXbzkTj-6Cf1Cr8

Adelaide shoppers are having a strange experience while shopping. Credit: ABC News.

A few days ago, the problem at the Brighton Foodland was reported in a Facebook post, which has now received dozens of reactions from fellow shoppers.

Shane Lavida was the first to post to a local community page, which started the dialogue surrounding the strange incidents. She asked: 'Anyone else get massive electric shocks when shopping at Brighton Foodland?'

'It's not a pleasant experience, and I was never a natural break dancer until I started getting zapped there.'

Others who had also been zapped online shared their stories in response to her question. One fellow customer wrote in the comments section of her post, saying: 'Every time I go there, I get shocked. I avoid the store now if I can. It's been a hot topic locally for a long time.'

A second agreed and added, 'Happens to me all the time and is not pleasant, so hopefully, a solution can be found.'

Many victims have blamed their footwear, while others have said the shock is most noticeable between the refrigerator and the dog food aisles.

'I get shocks all the time at Brighton Foodland. Thought it must have been caused by my shoes. Very unpleasant,' one of them shared. 'Happens most visits for me. Also depends on what shoes I'm wearing. Sneakers are the worst culprits,' wrote a second.

Even though most customers were upset, a few of them found the 'shocking' turn of events to be quite amusing. Just your average Aussie, if we do say so ourselves.

LJy6eK383KkGzFIyZlNHdxvNDKonCdj_d_6x3TWII2_SHO1SNkX4KAjSQki7qnL0458c2p-3SQJiFO4cZFgsp32BqTQ9n66-giCrhJxrWcpBusmFkipkAF7iEokheyN2Ba3gBSLw1pOdLpmeY96MYhs

Customers have said they felt the shocks between the fridge section and the dog food aisle. Credit: Facebook/Brighton Foodland.

Foodland's chief executive, Franklin dos Santos, told news outlets that the store was looking for ways to stop the shocks because it's starting to get pretty bothersome (and annoying as well) for the unlucky shoppers.

'The store has done absolutely everything they can to try and address the issue at the moment,' he said.

'Fundamentally, there's a lot of moisture that occurs in the supermarket. If you think about the fridges, you think about the environment that you're in, they discharge refrigeration moisture into the air.'

Mr. dos Santos continued by saying that antistatic wheels are being tested on shopping carts and that electricians have put dehumidifiers in the air conditioning to address the situation.

And apparently, customers at Brighton Foodland aren't the only ones getting the zap treatment from their local store, as Mr Lavida's message has prompted others to share their own similar stories.

vBsVCi9kuSav2bZNJLXwmlZEmWQt0jvtD-_LnbIDR139CyfMTUbJmmlaoo_2lpw25yGVHUdcq2Ctp49tz3KMq2xoW-24eCRTq73CS6L0GoW_XUV6NDPyADCq6b-OK4FuQRQbQoB8_S3DJv7WqcbrBEY

Adelaide shoppers reported a similar situation at Munno Para, Parabanks, and Woodside Foodland. Credit: Facebook/Munno Para Foodland.

There were several retail centres in Adelaide, including Munno Para, Parabanks, and Woodside Foodland, where shoppers reported encountering a similar situation.

'Happens to me all the time at Munno Para too. It's our plastic shoes and static electricity build-up, pity I touch a shelf and not another person because that would be more fun,' one customer joked.

Outside of this particular Adelaide grocery store, we think most of us can say that we've encountered something similar. There you are, strolling along a carpeted floor when suddenly you reach out for the doorknob and feel a sharp buzz…

But what triggers that all too familiar zap of static electricity? The science behind the phenomenon is explained in the video below.

What do you think about this story, folks? Have you had any similar experiences in the supermarket? Or maybe even in your home? Share them with us in the comments!

I get this regularly in supermarkets , I generally shop at Woolworths , milk fridges are the worst culprits but ordinary shelves get me too and it really hurts sometimes , not happy when it happens 2 or 3 times in a single shop. But I also stop battery watches too, I wonder if there is any connection ???

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
This used to happen to us where I worked.

We would get zapped alot.

I worked in the old Dymocks building in George St Sydney and we noticed it more on a windy day.

Even our bride would get zapped when putting in a wedding dress

Some said it was because the building was old.

Others said it was because it was haunted

Others said it was because of all the mirrors and hangers.

Sometimes it did actually hurt.

I believe that building was haunted so did everyone else

There was a department store when I was a kid that I just couldn't go in. It had a carpeted floor and something about the carpet, noise, lighting or whatever used to make me really poorly and I would get shocks off the clothing racks etc. It got so bad that my dad used to have to wait outside with me while my mum did the shopping.:(

Woolworths Glendale in Newcastle use to do this and were aware because of all the complaints and thought they fixed it during a floor Reno. They also added an anti static wheel to the trolleys. STILL HAPPENS.

Reactions: Ricci and Zoya

Most usual cause in shopping centres is the type of floor covering which is chosen for durability but has an unfortunate side effect,

Reactions: Ricci

This has been happening in supermarkets for a long time now - I have experienced it many times - it doesn’t happen all the time though.

I get this regularly in supermarkets , I generally shop at Woolworths , milk fridges are the worst culprits but ordinary shelves get me too and it really hurts sometimes , not happy when it happens 2 or 3 times in a single shop. But I also stop battery watches too, I wonder if there is any connection ???
Me too happens so often at Woolies fridges.

I dread winter because I get zapped when touching metal objects, whether it is shopping at the supermarket or getting out of the car. Nancy

I used to get zapped all the time, usually when touching metal objects or getting in and out of my car. When I used to pick my hubby up from the train, we had to touch hands first otherwise we would zap lips when we kissed! I think my batteries must have run down over the last few years, it doesn't happen much any more! :LOL:

This has happened to me over many years in different shops. I used to carry a wooden fan and hit the shelves before I picked up the item, and then a globe moment! I started using cotton underwear and clothing other than nylon or polyester and the zapping stopped. The static from my clothes caused the problem. I also stopped wearing stockings and used moisturiser on my legs. As Ripley would say "Believe it or not"

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
In the early 80's I owned an 82 XE Falcon and a mate owned a 79 XD. I would get zapped regularly when touching the door handle of the XE but we never got zapped touching the XD door handles.

This has happened to me over many years in different shops. I used to carry a wooden fan and hit the shelves before I picked up the item, and then a globe moment! I started using cotton underwear and clothing other than nylon or polyester and the zapping stopped. The static from my clothes caused the problem. I also stopped wearing stockings and used moisturiser on my legs. As Ripley would say "Believe it or not"
spot one! :)