The Royal Australian Mint just re-released one of Australia's most valuable $2 coins – here's how to get your hand on one!

The Royal Australian Mint just 'surprise-released' one of the country's most coveted 2-dollar coins, sending coin collectors into a frenzy!

Leading Australian coin expert Joel Kandiah revealed that the Mint released an updated 2022 version of the popular 2012 Red Poppy $2 coin on Thursday, November 3.

He described the release as 'the most anticipated release of the year', adding that he believes that the coins will sell out quickly, just like its predecessor did. And he was right!

Shortly after the release, the Royal Mint website experienced an unexpected crash and there were reports that phone lines were also affected.

'The Mint has delayed forming the queue for this morning's releases to allow time to correct a technical issue with the website,' The Royal Australian Mint said in a statement.

'We are currently working to resolve the issue and apologise for the delay. No queue has been formed, all customers are currently in the waiting room. If you were removed from the waiting room, please rejoin.'

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.51.44 PM.png
The Royal Australian Mint re-released a highly sought-after coin on Thursday morning, sending collectors into a frenzy. Credit: Instagram.

In recent months, the value of the Red Poppy coin has skyrocketed to an unprecedented level, reaching a staggering $400 shortly after the Queen's passing.

Kandiah claimed that the enormous popularity surrounding the Red Poppy is one of the key reasons why the Royal Australian Mint decided to release an updated version.

'The Red Poppy has never been more popular,' he said. 'The Mint is saying it is being re-released for Remembrance Day and at the same time, it is coincidentally 10 years since the Red Poppy was [first] released.'

'I'm a bit sceptical,' he added. 'I think the Mint is trying to cash in rather than to really, genuinely commemorate Remembrance Day.'

The expert recommended that collectors get their hands on the new Red Poppy coin at a fair price but urged them not to splurge on the piece.

'The new coin will more than likely skyrocket straight away within the first week,' he said. 'If the price jumps up in the first week, just wait. If you really want it, just sit and wait and the price will go down.'
Key Takeaways

• The Royal Australian Mint re-released a highly sought-after coin on Thursday morning, sending collectors into a frenzy.
  • It comes after news that the death of Queen Elizabeth II saw the value of the 2012 edition of the $2 Red Poppy coin soar to as much as $400.
  • The Royal Australian Mint website crashed, and some reputable coin dealers imposed purchase limits.
Kandiah claimed that it's difficult to predict just how much the new 2022 Red Poppy will be worth in the coming months and years.

'The Red Poppy is the most in-demand coin in Australia right now,' he added. 'The new Red Poppy will generate a lot of hype quickly, but I can't really say what will happen to the market after that. And I think it's a pretty dangerous game to try and do that.'

But that doesn't mean you should stay away from this favourite piece. If you nab one and can afford to just keep it stowed away in your stash, the value will soar in the long run, given the increasing popularity and importance of Remembrance Day coins!

Where can I get the 2022 version of the Red Poppy coin?

The first and best option is to buy directly from the Royal Australian Mint website; however, as of writing this article, it is still currently undergoing maintenance. 'We are working feverishly to update things for you to view them soon,' the announcement reads.

However, interested clients can contact their Call Center to place an order or make an enquiry by phoning 1300 652 020 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm AEST, Monday through Friday.

You can also try your luck in person by making a trip to their store in Canberra (62-114 Denison St, Deakin ACT 2600), but be prepared to wait in line for quite some time. They're open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm on weekdays and 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on weekends.

Kandiah also recommended a list of his trusted dealers online:
However, keep in mind that these stores may possibly be out of stock or have put purchasing limits in place for customers.

What are your thoughts on this story? Are you looking to get your hands on one of these coins? Let us know what you think in the comments!

Here's a quick video if you're interested to learn more about what the Red Poppy represents every Remembrance Day:

Credit: Simple History.

Sponsored
Having knitted over 800 poppies for the carpet of poppies in Melbourne commemorating the centenary of the Gallipoli landing in 2015, I would dearly love a $2 poppy coin.
When they were first released, I tried so hard to get one, but then saw 3 in an Op shop for $30 each.
I knew then I would never own one.
My Red Poppies have gone into the Australian War Memorial, the poppy carpet in Melbourne, the Chelsea Garden Show, on graves in Gallipoli...all over the world.
My purple poppies were sent to Villers Bretenneaux when the animals which served in the wars were commemorated....cats, horses, pigeons, rats, dogs.
I've made a few white ones representing peace for some returned soldiers, friends.
I intend to make some royal blue ones to represent soldiers suffering mental trauma, but I've been tied up knitting teddies for Christmas.
Screenshot_20221104-162523.png

Last edited:
You would be surprised of the value of some of the coins. Don’t just take them to the bank. All you have to do is research online and find out todays value of the coins. My husband did the same (throwing into tin) but now he has become a coin collector after finding out the true value of some of his old coins.