The reason you should never ignore these tiny white spots on your bananas

Is there anything more satisfying than a fresh, crisp banana for breakfast?

Not only are they healthy and filling, but they’re also one of the cheapest fruits on the market. So, what’s not to love?

Well, it turns out that there may be one thing that banana lovers need to watch out for…

Recently, a shopper posted a photo of their banana in an online group, with the caption: 'Anybody have any idea what this white spot is on my banana? Brought from ASDA yesterday.'

The picture shows a white spot shaped like a circle on the yellow peel of a banana.

SDC 23.png
A shopper found a white spot on a banana they bought from ASDA. Image source: Facebook.

Some members of the group claimed that it was an urgent warning sign.

'Definitely a spider in there', warned one.

'That looks like a spider's egg sac. Put [it] in a bag and tie it. I would take it back,' said another.

While a third shared: 'This happened to me last year, bought some bananas and got a free spider’s nest with wee tiny spiders coming out of it.'

After seeing the replies of others, the shopper then replied: 'I can confirm said banana, well the bunch of them (put me off for life) are in the bin outside!'

'I may pour boiling water over them in case they hatch inside the bin and [wander] into the house because I do NOT do spiders at the best of times! Let alone venomous ones!'

They continued: 'May even burn my bin if I'm honest might be the best option (I am of course joking).'

But is it really a spider’s egg sac?

A spokesperson for ASDA, a British supermarket chain, said: ’That particular "white spot" looks to be a mealy bug nest.'

'They're completely harmless, but as with other insects, and they like to make themselves at home in between banana fingers, which provide a nice protective habitat for them to live.'

Despite the alarming online discussions, mealybugs are not spiders but tiny, white, soft-bodied insects.

Mealybugs belong to the Pseudococcidae family, one of the most widely distributed pests in indoor plant collections. From tropical orchids to succulents, these bugs don't discriminate, and it seems our dear bananas are no exception.

Mealybugs are named for the powdery wax they secrete, which looks similar to meal or flour, hence the fitting name ‘mealy’ bug.

Mealybugs pose no harm to humans. These bugs hitch a ride on plants and fruits, exploring the world one garden, greenhouse, or grocery store at a time.

However, they are notorious for damaging fruit and ornamental plants by sucking the sap from the tissues, leading to deformity and a loss of vibrancy. They also secrete honeydew, a sticky substance that encourages mould growth.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper has warned customers not to buy bananas with small white spots, which could be insect nests.
  • The warning was issued in response to an ASDA shopper's post on social media, who had spotted something unusual on her bananas.
  • The shopper, heeding the warnings, disposed of the bananas as she feared potential spiders or venomous insects.
  • An ASDA spokesman stated that the 'white spot' appears to be from mealybugs, which are harmless insects.
Members, have you seen something similar on your bananas? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
OMG Thank you. Just went and checked all the bananas I bought yesterday. Definitely don't want to find spiders in my fruit bowl (or even mealy bugs for that matter).

Not only are they healthy and filling, but they’re also one of the cheapest fruits on the market. So, what’s not to love?

Well, it turns out that there may be one thing that banana lovers need to watch out for…

Recently, a shopper posted a photo of their banana in an online group, with the caption: 'Anybody have any idea what this white spot is on my banana? Brought from ASDA yesterday.'

The picture shows a white spot shaped like a circle on the yellow peel of a banana.

View attachment 31908
A shopper found a white spot on a banana they bought from ASDA. Image source: Facebook.

'That looks like a spider's egg sac. Put [it] in a bag and tie it. I would take it back,' said another.

While a third shared: 'This happened to me last year, bought some bananas and got a free spider’s nest with wee tiny spiders coming out of it.'

After seeing the replies of others, the shopper then replied: 'I can confirm said banana, well the bunch of them (put me off for life) are in the bin outside!'

'I may pour boiling water over them in case they hatch inside the bin and [wander] into the house because I do NOT do spiders at the best of times! Let alone venomous ones!'

They continued: 'May even burn my bin if I'm honest might be the best option (I am of course joking).'

A spokesperson for ASDA, a British supermarket chain, said: ’That particular "white spot" looks to be a mealy bug nest.'

'They're completely harmless, but as with other insects, and they like to make themselves at home in between banana fingers, which provide a nice protective habitat for them to live.'

Despite the alarming online discussions, mealybugs are not spiders but tiny, white, soft-bodied insects.

Mealybugs belong to the Pseudococcidae family, one of the most widely distributed pests in indoor plant collections. From tropical orchids to succulents, these bugs don't discriminate, and it seems our dear bananas are no exception.

Mealybugs are named for the powdery wax they secrete, which looks similar to meal or flour, hence the fitting name ‘mealy’ bug.

Mealybugs pose no harm to humans. These bugs hitch a ride on plants and fruits, exploring the world one garden, greenhouse, or grocery store at a time.

However, they are notorious for damaging fruit and ornamental plants by sucking the sap from the tissues, leading to deformity and a loss of vibrancy. They also secrete honeydew, a sticky substance that encourages mould growth.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper has warned customers not to buy bananas with small white spots, which could be insect nests.
  • The warning was issued in response to an ASDA shopper's post on social media, who had spotted something unusual on her bananas.
  • The shopper, heeding the warnings, disposed of the bananas as she feared potential spiders or venomous insects.
  • An ASDA spokesman stated that the 'white spot' appears to be from mealybugs, which are harmless insects.
Members, have you seen something similar on your bananas? Share your experience with us in the comments below!
What irrelevant nonsense. Peel the banana and throw the skin in the bin.

What irrelevant nonsense. Peel the banana and throw the skin in the bin.
I actually wash my peels and use them in cooking as all the vitamins are in the peel not what’s on the inside.😍 You can compost or ferns love the skins also.😋

Just another problem with importing fruit - there are en ough pests in this country. If it was not imported I guess good and well.

View attachment 31908

Key Takeaways

I have not bought bananas for months. I refuse to pay over $4 for them.
Today at Coles they were $4.99 a kilo. There are so many other fruits to choose from,
I can go without them for a few more months. Yay.....summer fruits such as peaches, plums, nectarines and apricots will be in shops soon, then I will go bananas (Ha! Ha!)