The real reason ALDI doesn't have a customer service phone number

We've all been there. You're out of supplies, you're in a rush, and you just need to know if your local ALDI has what you need before you make the trip. So, you do what any reasonable person would do in 2022 and try to give them a call...

But here's the kicker — when you call ALDI, you will not be redirected to a person, instead, you will be greeted with an automated voice message that says: "Thanks for calling Aldi Australia. All of our enquiries are now managed online, so we can more efficiently get you the right information."

Isn't it bewildering that a popular retailer does not have a customer service line at all?

Sure, ALDI has a listed phone number — 13 25 34 — for all of its stores across the country, but why does the German retailer not have any customer support line for each store?

Well, as it turned out, the retailer scrapped any phone-based customer service staff in a bid to keep the costs of their items low and to "streamline" their stores.

A statement can be found on its website, explaining why they can't provide customer service support, especially to those who would like to enquire about the retailer's special buys offer.

The statement read: "We're proud to offer Special Buy but providing such great products at such low prices means streamlining our stores, and that includes not being able to provide special buys availabilities over the phone."

CvZht9rV0v87UKQjN58sGlEC1KvQjMv7No5K38PpDNHLYpvum9FL8wYcafY_fKSrL3_kMwUmIWZrce7J_38YTsKsl6_U2UvdhWqZXtjAtEyePXmrKfMPFfG3eFgVg0uMF5DO2z1g9aAN6SL-

ALDI claimed that it reduced its budget for customer service to keep the prices of its products low. Credit: Getty Images.

Yes, folks! Apparently, we can't get information on the Special Buys via phone call either so it is best to consult the retailer's product finder if you're looking to nab some of the limited edition items.

For those of you who are curious about whether ALDI Australia is the only country chain that does not have customer service lines, we would also like to share with you that, in fact, the same scheme goes for ALDI stores in the US.

American ALDI customers also receive an automated voice message upon calling the retailer's phone number that says: "Thank you for contacting ALDI U.S. Due to our limited store staffing, the phone numbers for our stores are unlisted. This is part of our savings model that allows us to pass on significant savings to our customers."

It was also said that there are only three to five employees at each store in the US and fewer staff on payroll.

The move just ensures that the retailer can keep its prices low by cutting its budget for customer service.

Honestly, with the rising costs of living and wages (and pensions) hardly keeping up, we commend the retailer’s effort to minimise the impacts of inflation on their products. It’s just unfortunate that we have to face the hassle of not having staff provide us with information when we urgently need it.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this? Do you think ALDI’s cost-cutting effort to keep its prices low benefits the customers even if it means they have no on-call customer service support? Let us know your insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
You can't have everything, continued low prices mean that something has to give.. I would rather have continued saving rather than someone waiting at the end of the phone should I wish to call them. With the whole world available in the palm of our hand phone calls are fast becoming a thing of the past anyway.:)

Reactions: Ezzy and cheza1603
Having shopped @ Aldi many times, this particular time they had a special buy for 3pc outdoor patio set, as I was looking for one @ this time, thought I would go and check it out, so went along to Aldi and bought one, as I was about to complete putting it together (had a part that was faulty, a back rest). You guessed it, no direct line to store, so went to store to see if they were all sold out the next day, To my surprise there were a few left spoke to manager, and he said bring faulty part in and we will exchange it, so drove home and did just that, manager was very helpful ( even though it was a hassle to get this sorted out ) with there prices low I can understand they cut there overheads, which helps out customers with there budget especially @ the moment.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Referring again to my time as a service operator, phones in stores are answered by operators. When on register it is not possibe to answer the phone. And so phones are left to ring until time allows. There are no dedicated customer service phone answering people. The things I have been asked to do over the years astounds me. I was once asked to find a well stocked item, put it at the service counter and the person would come in because she didnt have time to go and get it. How precious are some people?

We've all been there. You're out of supplies, you're in a rush, and you just need to know if your local ALDI has what you need before you make the trip. So, you do what any reasonable person would do in 2022 and try to give them a call...

But here's the kicker — when you call ALDI, you will not be redirected to a person, instead, you will be greeted with an automated voice message that says: "Thanks for calling Aldi Australia. All of our enquiries are now managed online, so we can more efficiently get you the right information."

Isn't it bewildering that a popular retailer does not have a customer service line at all?

Sure, ALDI has a listed phone number — 13 25 34 — for all of its stores across the country, but why does the German retailer not have any customer support line for each store?

Well, as it turned out, the retailer scrapped any phone-based customer service staff in a bid to keep the costs of their items low and to "streamline" their stores.

A statement can be found on its website, explaining why they can't provide customer service support, especially to those who would like to enquire about the retailer's special buys offer.

The statement read: "We're proud to offer Special Buy but providing such great products at such low prices means streamlining our stores, and that includes not being able to provide special buys availabilities over the phone."

CvZht9rV0v87UKQjN58sGlEC1KvQjMv7No5K38PpDNHLYpvum9FL8wYcafY_fKSrL3_kMwUmIWZrce7J_38YTsKsl6_U2UvdhWqZXtjAtEyePXmrKfMPFfG3eFgVg0uMF5DO2z1g9aAN6SL-

ALDI claimed that it reduced its budget for customer service to keep the prices of its products low. Credit: Getty Images.

Yes, folks! Apparently, we can't get information on the Special Buys via phone call either so it is best to consult the retailer's product finder if you're looking to nab some of the limited edition items.

For those of you who are curious about whether ALDI Australia is the only country chain that does not have customer service lines, we would also like to share with you that, in fact, the same scheme goes for ALDI stores in the US.

American ALDI customers also receive an automated voice message upon calling the retailer's phone number that says: "Thank you for contacting ALDI U.S. Due to our limited store staffing, the phone numbers for our stores are unlisted. This is part of our savings model that allows us to pass on significant savings to our customers."

It was also said that there are only three to five employees at each store in the US and fewer staff on payroll.

The move just ensures that the retailer can keep its prices low by cutting its budget for customer service.

Honestly, with the rising costs of living and wages (and pensions) hardly keeping up, we commend the retailer’s effort to minimise the impacts of inflation on their products. It’s just unfortunate that we have to face the hassle of not having staff provide us with information when we urgently need it.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this? Do you think ALDI’s cost-cutting effort to keep its prices low benefits the customers even if it means they have no on-call customer service support? Let us know your insights in the comments below!
I suggest you take an item back if there is a problem. They are very helpful and return your money. But there has never been a phone number for Aldi as i found iut a few years ago. I know they save money on staff but its realy bad customer service.

I am a loyal Aldi customer from day one. I will defend any Company who has & IS doing for the customer what Aldi promotes, & for a good reason. They make profit for themselves & profit for us customers in limiting overheads and their items are superior. When you get used to the brands, they are either equal to other Supermarkets or even better. Some customers want to be waited on hand, foot & finger (& I've seen it all) from their mannerisms. The employees are second to none & would help you 100% on the floor to find something. If you can't put up with the smallest of inconvenience when you pay less & your pocket swells, then shop elsewhere. We need happy shoppers, not a phone to complain about an item you can replace. At least they will see your money is returned if they have no more in stock. Please treat people the way you would want them to treat YOU. Less whingeing & more smiles. Do unto others.
ONE problem today is "freedom of too many choices" to waste so much time. If that subject is raised I'm off to the north pole.....Coming?????????????????

Years ago I had the privilege of seeing how stock-ups of Supermarkets work. Looking back the unloading of stock to be in & out to keep to time is a nightmare. To not answer a phone when they are watching the time is a great move by Aldi. When trucks are late unloading in file, don't forget they STILL need stocking & transferring inside to the shelves. People forget. It is manic how many times FOR US, the goods are handled. Manual work can be exhausting, but it's a job that we need to put food on the table. Your cuppa runs through the same process. Until I actually saw it, the idea never came into my head. Appreciation plus. I haven't taken into account the paper work............phew!! AND don't forget the toilet stops @ early morn??

I am a loyal Aldi customer from day one. I will defend any Company who has & IS doing for the customer what Aldi promotes, & for a good reason. They make profit for themselves & profit for us customers in limiting overheads and their items are superior. When you get used to the brands, they are either equal to other Supermarkets or even better. Some customers want to be waited on hand, foot & finger (& I've seen it all) from their mannerisms. The employees are second to none & would help you 100% on the floor to find something. If you can't put up with the smallest of inconvenience when you pay less & your pocket swells, then shop elsewhere. We need happy shoppers, not a phone to complain about an item you can replace. At least they will see your money is returned if they have no more in stock. Please treat people the way you would want them to treat YOU. Less whingeing & more smiles. Do unto others.
ONE problem today is "freedom of too many choices" to waste so much time. If that subject is raised I'm off to the north pole.....Coming?????????????????
I don't shop at Aldi for a number of reasons, the main one being that I find the quality of their items distinctly inferior.

• Sad
Reactions: joshram and Ricci

Hi everyone. Just to let you all know, I was after a special buy product a while back which they had sold out of and the Aldi store manager rang 2 other stores which weren't too far away, to see if they still had the item in stock, so they put it aside till I picked it up that day. Good luck everyone. Hopefully you may find a helpful manager.

It's pretty odd for a big retailer not to have a customer service line these days. I guess they're really pushing for online support, but sometimes you just need to speak to a real person. It can be annoying, especially in urgent situations.

Speaking of customer service, I recently got a US phone number online for my business, and it's been a game-changer. It has the call queues feature that helps me manage incoming calls efficiently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
Why do people keep complaining about Aldi? They know full well how the company operates and if they don't like it, shop elsewhere!! Nobody is forcing them to patronise the stores. I have shopped there for years and know how good the quality is, how low the prices are and what excellent staff. Ten out of ten for me for sure.

Reactions: Noraya and Ricci
Why do people keep complaining about Aldi? They know full well how the company operates and if they don't like it, shop elsewhere!! Nobody is forcing them to patronise the stores. I have shopped there for years and know how good the quality is, how low the prices are and what excellent staff. Ten out of ten for me for sure.
Same here. aplus the staff have always been very helpful, like calling other stores to see if they had something I wanted... and as you say: if people arent happy with what s on offer: go to Coles, Woolworth or IGA etc. Lots of other shops around....

Reactions: Ricci