The Problematic Prostate

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Alan G.

All men have one, but they just don’t like talking about it. It’s just there, and really nothing to worry about, at least when you’re young. The trouble is, as Billy Connelly once remarked: ‘I wonder who thought it was a good idea to put the plumbing through the entertainment area!’

So now we’re all grown up, and things are starting to wear out.

The prostate enlarges in most men for reasons the experts are really unsure about. This enlargement is called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, or BPH. It has nothing to do with a person’s risk of contracting prostate cancer; that’s why it’s called ‘benign’. The enlargement is normal but does produce problems as we get older.

Symptoms include having to visit the little boy’s room several times during the night and sometimes having to go once again just after you climb back into bed, only to find that you really didn’t need to go. For myself, I think I was getting up about six times a night—not very good for a restful night’s sleep. I found myself having to have a ‘nanny-nap’ in the afternoon to make up. The frequency of toilet visits makes it inconvenient (no pun intended) to travel by train, for instance, on an overnight trip, and you find yourself choosing an aisle seat.

shutterstock_2003769035 (1).jpg
There are steps you can take to remedy your ‘problematic prostate’. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Last edited:
Sponsored
Note from the Editor:

All men have one, but they just don’t like talking about it. It’s just there, and really nothing to worry about, at least when you’re young. The trouble is, as Billy Connelly once remarked: ‘I wonder who thought it was a good idea to put the plumbing through the entertainment area!’

The prostate enlarges in most men for reasons the experts are really unsure about. This enlargement is called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, or BPH. It has nothing to do with a person’s risk of contracting prostate cancer; that’s why it’s called ‘benign’. The enlargement is normal but does produce problems as we get older.

Symptoms include having to visit the little boy’s room several times during the night and sometimes having to go once again just after you climb back into bed, only to find that you really didn’t need to go. For myself, I think I was getting up about six times a night—not very good for a restful night’s sleep. I found myself having to have a ‘nanny-nap’ in the afternoon to make up. The frequency of toilet visits makes it inconvenient (no pun intended) to travel by train, for instance, on an overnight trip, and you find yourself choosing an aisle seat.

View attachment 31091
There are steps you can take to remedy your ‘problematic prostate’. Image Credit: Shutterstock

As a prostrate cancer patient. Please all men over the age of 40 (especially if you have family history of prostate cancers or women in your family have breast cancer, may have a link). Like most diseases, early detection is key. If your doctor is unsure or doesn't want to test, go to another doctor. PSA is only one marker. So if something is not quite right. Trust your gut and investigate.

I’ve just forwarded this article to my husband AlanG, he will be interested as at 74 he also has a problem but not as bad as yours was. I’m glad surgery went well for you and thankyou for writing about what is to a lot of men a very private problem.
Where's the rest ofvthe article? Or is potentially valuable information reserved for financial members?

Where's the rest ofvthe article? Or is potentially valuable information reserved for financial members?
Same here. I can't read past the first couple of paragraphs - I'm assuming it's because it's paid content?

I had prostate cancer fixed by radiotherapy eight years ago, but still have to get up during the night. It varies from twice to four times and is likely related to sleep apnoea and marginal diabetes. ED is also a problem, taking four times as long to get there as before, but my wife is patient. I too take "nanny naps" in the afternoon when I can. Selenium sounds interesting.

HAD RADIOTHERAPY FLOWN OUT TO RAH INCRITICAL CONDITION 14 MTHS LATER WITH PROSTATE COMPLICATIONS NOW HAVE PERM. CATHERTER FOR LIFE.STILL HAS A ADVANTAGR ON LONG TRIP.NOT RECOMMENDED BAGS ARE EXXY PLUS 3 MONTHLY PLUMBING CHANGES

Note from the Editor:

View attachment 31091

This is an informative article which is useful for some of us who are over 60.
I had TURP procedure just over a year ago. I stayed in hospital for two nights. Surgery was easy from my point of view. No external cuts involved. When I went home I was asked to drink plenty of fluids (I can't exactly remember why). I did drink plenty of water, however when one drinks plenty of water it increases the need to urinate. Post surgery, for a week or two it was a problem because urinating resulted in significant burning sensation down under. As you can imagine, the brain understands that I need to drink plenty of fluids but the discomfort when urinating made me want to not drink too much fluids. But I persisted and got over it.
I have no after effects eg sexual issues etc. However, the urgency to urinate is still a problem. Luckily I do not wake up at night to urinate. I do manage the condition of needing to urinate urgently by a series of workarounds I have developed for myself (probably everyone does it).
1. When going on road trips I do not drink water at least an hour before I have to leave home.
2. Just before leaving home I try and empty my bladder just before leaving.
3. Before I get to the next destination, I can start drinking water 30 minutes or so before getting there while my wife is driving. So the the time I get to the destination I am ready to empty my bladder.
4. I also found that if I sip water rather than drinking it quickly, I time between urination can be extended. If I drink a glass of water quickly I need to urinate within 45 minutes.

To someone not affected by prostate issues this sounds like over-planning etc, but it works for me. I do not want my life to be dictated by this issue. My GP has prescribed a medicine which he said will help the urgency to urinate, but I have not tried it yet. I need to buy it this week.

I had TURP procedure just over a year ago. I stayed in hospital for two nights. Surgery was easy from my point of view. No external cuts involved. When I went home I was asked to drink plenty of fluids (I can't exactly remember why). I did drink plenty of water, however when one drinks plenty of water it increases the need to urinate. Post surgery, for a week or two it was a problem because urinating resulted in significant burning sensation down under. As you can imagine, the brain understands that I need to drink plenty of fluids but the discomfort when urinating made me want to not drink too much fluids. But I persisted and got over it.
I have no after effects eg sexual issues etc. However, the urgency to urinate is still a problem. Luckily I do not wake up at night to urinate. I do manage the condition of needing to urinate urgently by a series of workarounds I have developed for myself (probably everyone does it).
1. When going on road trips I do not drink water at least an hour before I have to leave home.
3. Before I get to the next destination, I can start drinking water 30 minutes or so before getting there while my wife is driving. So the the time I get to the destination I am ready to empty my bladder.
4. I also found that if I sip water rather than drinking it quickly, I time between urination can be extended. If I drink a glass of water quickly I need to urinate within 45 minutes.

To someone not affected by prostate issues this sounds like over-planning etc, but it works for me. I do not want my life to be dictated by this issue. My GP has prescribed a medicine which he said will help the urgency to urinate, but I have not tried it yet. I need to buy it this week.

Best luck - holding it in.
Oooops - holding thumbs!

Note from the Editor:

View attachment 31091

Reactions: magpie1
Thank you so much,Alan,for this informative read. My husband has been dithering and this has helped us so so much! Thank you a thousand times! ❤️

Note from the Editor:

View attachment 31091

I had prostate cancer fixed by radiotherapy eight years ago, but still have to get up during the night. It varies from twice to four times and is likely related to sleep apnoea and marginal diabetes. ED is also a problem, taking four times as long to get there as before, but my wife is patient. I too take "nanny naps" in the afternoon when I can. Selenium sounds interesting.
Same with myself @BillW41....had mine fixed with 6 weeks of radiotherapy, and yes still get up a few times during the night....however the fact that I drink copious amounts of coffee during the day probably doesn't help much I know. Have no worries with ED at this point to my knowledge....I'm single 😊 I must admit that I do fall asleep while on the computer most of my days....still need that sleep, as I get older.😉

I have to get a biopsy on 30/11/2023 High PSA readings
Great story Alan