The 'picture-perfect' Bali hotels aren't what they seem: Tourist reveals the unexpected truth

Ahh, the thought of holidays in Bali - it instantly conjures up images of picture-perfect luxury resorts with sweeping ocean views, peaceful pools and plenty of picturesque moments.

We’ve all seen the pictures on social media, showing the idyllic lives people appear to be living in Bali, but what is the reality of a Bali getaway for the average traveller?

Unfortunately, things are not always as perfect as they seem...

In a now-viral TikTok video, Dutch tourist Luna de Fauw has offered viewers a glimpse of the true lodging experience to be had on the popular island getaway.

The woman was staying at Kos One Hostel in Canguu, south of the island, where rooms cost about $40 a night for quad-share.

Photos of the facility on social media show perfectly captured images, showcasing a luxury pool and pool bar surrounded by lush greenery. As one might imagine, it looks like absolute paradise.

But when Luna shared a reality check of the same location, the 'paradise' quickly vanished.

In the video, the turquoise pool is clearly seen, along with the seemingly well-cared-for pool chairs that are arranged neatly. However, then de Fuaw panned the camera around to show viewers other angles and the reality set in.

Despite what the property's website claims — 'fantastic natural views of vibrant, green rice fields and the Indian Ocean' — the video reveals a less than desirable view, with mud-filled vacant land surrounding the hostel and seemingly deserted construction sites.

'Bali Insta vs real life,' the traveller wrote in the video.

b5e39a30-8be4-11ed-a7f4-2d7590a573f7

The Dutch traveller was horrified by the hostel's surroundings while staying in Canguu, Bali. Credit: TikTok/@luna_maryse.

The video has gone viral, garnering over 1.6 million views, with many users chipping in with their opinions.

'It’s all about the angle,' one user perceived in the comments section, with another sarcastically writing: 'wow, what a huge pool.'

It appears many users had had similar negative experiences with the popular destination, with one claiming: 'Bali is the most overrated place I’ve ever been.'

But not everyone agreed with the negative comments.

'Bali is wonderful,' one person said.

Another person agreed, saying that visiting Bali is definitely a 'vibe' we should all get into.

This isn’t the first time tourists have been unpleasantly surprised by their Bali accommodation.

Just a few weeks prior, a couple on a last-minute trip had booked an Airbnb in the east Balinese village of Sidemen, only to arrive at an abandoned building.

Similarly, Aussie man Ric Attard from the Gold Coast was left searching for alternative accommodation after getting caught up in a major renovation during his four-night stay at the PNB Beach Resort in the village of Canggu.

Key Takeaways

• The Dutch woman visiting Bali in the video was shocked to discover the view from her Canguu accommodation was not quite as it seemed.
  • Many people commented on the video pointing out that it can be all about the angle when it comes to certain photos on social media.
  • Other tourists have also had the expectations of their Bali accommodation dashed when it came to reality versus expectations.

It’s safe to say that some Bali accommodation looks better in pictures than in real life. But don’t let stories like these put you off from visiting the Indonesian hotspot.

Social media impact on travel destinations

In today’s digital age, travellers are usually more inclined to base their holiday decisions based off of images seen on social media. Unfortunately, what often passes as luxury accommodation in holiday snaps can often be far from reality.

With the rise of social media and digital advertising, resorts have come under fire for misleading marketing tactics where they have been found to enhance images through filters, photoshop or choosing a particular aesthetic point of view or focus to garner an illusion of luxurious stays.

4d6d58c64bd7c88a4a0b0000

The kiddie pool advertised by the Blue Moon Hotel on social media. Credit: Orbitz.

4d6d59224bd7c88a4a0f0000

The actual pool when you visit the property. Credit: Oyster.com.

In the case of the 'picture perfect' Bali discovered to be far from the advertised photos, many viewers said it was ‘all about the angle’ and that they weren’t too surprised. When booking online, people may be fooled into believing they are getting what they have seen advertised, but sometimes the reality can be quite different.

Therefore, it’s important to also investigate reviews and read multiple sources before booking to ensure you get what you were promised – or at least aren’t too shocked when you arrive!

With enough research and preparation, you can still find some amazing Bali experiences, with just as many amazing picture opportunities as advertised.

We’d love to hear your take on these stories. Have you ever gone on holiday only to be underwhelmed by the accommodation? Tell us your stories in the comments section below!

Sponsored
My granddaughter is there at the moment she is there with her girlfriend and her parents and 3 of them are all extremely ill with Bali Belly.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
I was there once on a stopover between flights. The resort was beautiful, but outside - squalor. And the people who work in this beautiful resort live in the squalor. Think about it........

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Ahh, the thought of holidays in Bali - it instantly conjures up images of picture-perfect luxury resorts with sweeping ocean views, peaceful pools and plenty of picturesque moments.

We’ve all seen the pictures on social media, showing the idyllic lives people appear to be living in Bali, but what is the reality of a Bali getaway for the average traveller?

Unfortunately, things are not always as perfect as they seem...

In a now-viral TikTok video, Dutch tourist Luna de Fauw has offered viewers a glimpse of the true lodging experience to be had on the popular island getaway.

The woman was staying at Kos One Hostel in Canguu, south of the island, where rooms cost about $40 a night for quad-share.

Photos of the facility on social media show perfectly captured images, showcasing a luxury pool and pool bar surrounded by lush greenery. As one might imagine, it looks like absolute paradise.

But when Luna shared a reality check of the same location, the 'paradise' quickly vanished.

In the video, the turquoise pool is clearly seen, along with the seemingly well-cared-for pool chairs that are arranged neatly. However, then de Fuaw panned the camera around to show viewers other angles and the reality set in.

Despite what the property's website claims — 'fantastic natural views of vibrant, green rice fields and the Indian Ocean' — the video reveals a less than desirable view, with mud-filled vacant land surrounding the hostel and seemingly deserted construction sites.

'Bali Insta vs real life,' the traveller wrote in the video.

b5e39a30-8be4-11ed-a7f4-2d7590a573f7

The Dutch traveller was horrified by the hostel's surroundings while staying in Canguu, Bali. Credit: TikTok/@luna_maryse.

The video has gone viral, garnering over 1.6 million views, with many users chipping in with their opinions.

'It’s all about the angle,' one user perceived in the comments section, with another sarcastically writing: 'wow, what a huge pool.'

It appears many users had had similar negative experiences with the popular destination, with one claiming: 'Bali is the most overrated place I’ve ever been.'

But not everyone agreed with the negative comments.

'Bali is wonderful,' one person said.

Another person agreed, saying that visiting Bali is definitely a 'vibe' we should all get into.

This isn’t the first time tourists have been unpleasantly surprised by their Bali accommodation.

Just a few weeks prior, a couple on a last-minute trip had booked an Airbnb in the east Balinese village of Sidemen, only to arrive at an abandoned building.

Similarly, Aussie man Ric Attard from the Gold Coast was left searching for alternative accommodation after getting caught up in a major renovation during his four-night stay at the PNB Beach Resort in the village of Canggu.

Key Takeaways

• The Dutch woman visiting Bali in the video was shocked to discover the view from her Canguu accommodation was not quite as it seemed.
  • Many people commented on the video pointing out that it can be all about the angle when it comes to certain photos on social media.
  • Other tourists have also had the expectations of their Bali accommodation dashed when it came to reality versus expectations.

It’s safe to say that some Bali accommodation looks better in pictures than in real life. But don’t let stories like these put you off from visiting the Indonesian hotspot.

Social media impact on travel destinations

In today’s digital age, travellers are usually more inclined to base their holiday decisions based off of images seen on social media. Unfortunately, what often passes as luxury accommodation in holiday snaps can often be far from reality.

With the rise of social media and digital advertising, resorts have come under fire for misleading marketing tactics where they have been found to enhance images through filters, photoshop or choosing a particular aesthetic point of view or focus to garner an illusion of luxurious stays.

4d6d58c64bd7c88a4a0b0000

The kiddie pool advertised by the Blue Moon Hotel on social media. Credit: Orbitz.

4d6d59224bd7c88a4a0f0000

The actual pool when you visit the property. Credit: Oyster.com.

In the case of the 'picture perfect' Bali discovered to be far from the advertised photos, many viewers said it was ‘all about the angle’ and that they weren’t too surprised. When booking online, people may be fooled into believing they are getting what they have seen advertised, but sometimes the reality can be quite different.

Therefore, it’s important to also investigate reviews and read multiple sources before booking to ensure you get what you were promised – or at least aren’t too shocked when you arrive!

With enough research and preparation, you can still find some amazing Bali experiences, with just as many amazing picture opportunities as advertised.

We’d love to hear your take on these stories. Have you ever gone on holiday only to be underwhelmed by the accommodation? Tell us your stories in the comments section below!

Just a bit offline. I was in the Ubud markets and an Australian women was yelling at a man who had beautiful pottery, she was demanding a 50% discount because she was a "big Australian company" wanting 4 teapots. He went ridiculously low, but she wanted them for the equivalent of 50 cents each. She said she would tell all Australians not to buy his pottery. I went up to him and said "Don't sell her anything, she doesn't dictate to you whether Australians will buy your pottery" She then flew into me, swearing and yelling. I paid no attention, so there a few Australians making a profit from the work of the Balinese. They like to barter but not to be pushed into the ground.

• Sad
I ve always had good holidays in Bali ,and so much for holiday ing @ home it costs more to fly to the,north ,south,east or west than it does for all inclusive holiday in Bali

Th
I ve always had good holidays in Bali ,and so much for holiday ing @ home it costs more to fly to the,north ,south,east or west than it does for all inclusive holiday in Bali
Thats true. I can visit my sister in Perth from Brisbane and it cost me $1,000 just in air fares but I can meet her in Bali for a week in Bali, as well as breakfasts for free and cheap meals, both of us have a holiday and we have done that many times over the years. I come home feeling as though I've had a holiday, I've been to Bali 9 times.

Reactions: Janet g and Ricci
Yes, Bali can be a pretty rough place. I would go there a lot as I was working in Java for a few years. What really amazed me on the first day there was to be walking up Poppies Lane, and the footpath was very crowded. Then out of the blue comes a woman driving a motorbike, on the footpath, nudging everyone out of the way. The motoring lane wasn't all that busy.
Another quirk which seemed fairly common, was to go into a medium price hotel, and start unpacking. then you discover that the wardrobe has no hanging rail. Yes, I had my own coat hangers, but 3 out of 4 hotels had the same problem with clothes storage.
But the biggest gripe I have is that unlike a lot of the Philippines, smoking is allowed on the beaches. These areas are usually quite crowded, and to be surrounded by smokers is horrible. Yes, smokes are dirt cheap there and the average age of death of Indonesian male smokers is 51!