The New ‘ADVANCED’ Woolworths Supermarket That Has Everyone Talking

The future of grocery stores is looking bright – or at least, more convenient. With the rise of technology, we're seeing more and more innovations that make our lives easier, and grocery stores are no exception.

In the past decade, we have seen a lot of technological advances in the grocery store industry. Some of these advances include the use of self-checkout machines, online ordering and delivery, and in-store touchscreen ordering kiosks (in some restaurants, at least).

And while the COVID-19 pandemic has drastically changed our shopping habits, it drove demand for more online transactions as more and more people are cautious of physical shopping.

What if the grocery store experience was completely different? With the rapid advancements in technology, it's not hard to imagine a future where the grocery store experience is completely different from what we're used to today.

Keeping this in mind, it is not surprising that several companies are already working on making this vision a reality.

Take, for example, supermarket giant Woolworths which has recently opened its brand new 'customer-free' grocery store in Brisbane, allowing the company to provide customers with the freshest products in the most convenient and efficient way possible.

xrZaqNETQxZnqe0E3ZIqzPCdqXoIa2xMjEEWI_K0yqo33UVcItUR72cBFrMTKXlUW0RwnvMnEN8BqG50AVmStVw4ZuDeXKw91Tfd9XH80jxXTuZ0OYwGGIUmdQsymkLayvNTESyE3GqrCt5a8dYTlw

A ‘personal shopper’ packing items inside Woolworths’ newest ‘customer-free’ store in Brisbane. Credit: Woolworths/NCA Newswire.

You read that right, folks! The massive 10,000 sqm Queensland store, which is said to cater exclusively to online orders, will accommodate up to 30,000 orders weekly for shoppers spanning from Beenleigh to Mt Ommaney — and no customers are allowed to step foot in it!

Woolworths executive Sally Copland said that the move is meant to provide a solution to the massive demand for online orders in Brisbane.

‘Online grocery shopping has been well and truly embraced by our Brisbane customers, many of whom are looking to reclaim time in their busy lives,’ she explained.

‘This facility is an important part of our ongoing commitment to providing customers with high-quality products fresher, faster and more convenient than ever before.’

The company also said that with the new purpose-built space, its 'personal shopper' employees in Brisbane will be able to hand-pack orders from a selection of more than 25,000 products with more efficiency.

Aside from the benefits to the customers, Woolworths also expressed its keenness to create more employment opportunities for Australians, predicting that the new facility could provide up to 800 jobs.

Adrian Schrinner, the Lord Mayor of Brisbane, referred to the innovation as a sign of the times, saying: ‘Fast, convenient services are essential to meet the needs of our growing city, as modern life demands choice and flexibility.’

It's not hard to imagine a future where we can order our groceries online and have them delivered to us within a few hours given these new developments. We may even be able to have our groceries delivered by robots! Who knows?

This future may seem like something out of a science fiction movie, but it's not that far-fetched. In fact, it may be closer than we think!

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think our shopping habits will change in the near future? How have grocery stores changed from when you first visited? Let us know your insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
When you have been active all your life, the changes that come about are not easy. Too many in a short space of time. Many oldies are active & love to choose the commodity needed for themselves. When you are forced into a situation that you cannot do anything about it, it hurts. Being independent for so long, health issues are the first to make it abundantly clear you NEED to rely on others. My nephew & his wife have been BRILLIANT to me because my son-in-law has a full time job caring for his wife who has health issues but helps when he can. I cannot find anyone who can FIND time to give me 2 hours of their time to show me how to go on line to order from the Supermarket. I learn anything easily when I am SHOWN something which is how we all learn. I am offering PAYMENT yet still can't find anyone because of their work taking precedence. I KNOW that HAS to be for everyone lucky to have a job, but surely just ONE person in our world of millions can help me. My nephew has his time with HIS family & his charity work so if I can alleviate what he willingly does for me, he could be with his family more. "Time" is a commodity together with the old adage that "Every man/woman is worthy of his hire. ." I've often quoted that I am a recycled teenager, not old, ONLY by date of birth, and STILL have a brain that works overtime. Yes, I am so proud of myself. Why not? It is nothing to do with ego. I am selfless & the person God intended me to be, yet THE ONE paid person I am hoping for, I can't find. Where are the students that always need money to buy computer games?????

When you have been active all your life, the changes that come about are not easy. Too many in a short space of time. Many oldies are active & love to choose the commodity needed for themselves. When you are forced into a situation that you cannot do anything about it, it hurts. Being independent for so long, health issues are the first to make it abundantly clear you NEED to rely on others. My nephew & his wife have been BRILLIANT to me because my son-in-law has a full time job caring for his wife who has health issues but helps when he can. I cannot find anyone who can FIND time to give me 2 hours of their time to show me how to go on line to order from the Supermarket. I learn anything easily when I am SHOWN something which is how we all learn. I am offering PAYMENT yet still can't find anyone because of their work taking precedence. I KNOW that HAS to be for everyone lucky to have a job, but surely just ONE person in our world of millions can help me. My nephew has his time with HIS family & his charity work so if I can alleviate what he willingly does for me, he could be with his family more. "Time" is a commodity together with the old adage that "Every man/woman is worthy of his hire. ." I've often quoted that I am a recycled teenager, not old, ONLY by date of birth, and STILL have a brain that works overtime. Yes, I am so proud of myself. Why not? It is nothing to do with ego. I am selfless & the person God intended me to be, yet THE ONE paid person I am hoping for, I can't find. Where are the students that always need money to buy computer games?????
where are you?

Reactions: Ricci
What area do you live? Could you do it with someone talking you through it over the phone?

The future of grocery stores is looking bright – or at least, more convenient. With the rise of technology, we're seeing more and more innovations that make our lives easier, and grocery stores are no exception.

In the past decade, we have seen a lot of technological advances in the grocery store industry. Some of these advances include the use of self-checkout machines, online ordering and delivery, and in-store touchscreen ordering kiosks (in some restaurants, at least).

And while the COVID-19 pandemic has drastically changed our shopping habits, it drove demand for more online transactions as more and more people are cautious of physical shopping.

What if the grocery store experience was completely different? With the rapid advancements in technology, it's not hard to imagine a future where the grocery store experience is completely different from what we're used to today.

Keeping this in mind, it is not surprising that several companies are already working on making this vision a reality.

Take, for example, supermarket giant Woolworths which has recently opened its brand new 'customer-free' grocery store in Brisbane, allowing the company to provide customers with the freshest products in the most convenient and efficient way possible.

xrZaqNETQxZnqe0E3ZIqzPCdqXoIa2xMjEEWI_K0yqo33UVcItUR72cBFrMTKXlUW0RwnvMnEN8BqG50AVmStVw4ZuDeXKw91Tfd9XH80jxXTuZ0OYwGGIUmdQsymkLayvNTESyE3GqrCt5a8dYTlw

A ‘personal shopper’ packing items inside Woolworths’ newest ‘customer-free’ store in Brisbane. Credit: Woolworths/NCA Newswire.

You read that right, folks! The massive 10,000 sqm Queensland store, which is said to cater exclusively to online orders, will accommodate up to 30,000 orders weekly for shoppers spanning from Beenleigh to Mt Ommaney — and no customers are allowed to step foot in it!

Woolworths executive Sally Copland said that the move is meant to provide a solution to the massive demand for online orders in Brisbane.

‘Online grocery shopping has been well and truly embraced by our Brisbane customers, many of whom are looking to reclaim time in their busy lives,’ she explained.

‘This facility is an important part of our ongoing commitment to providing customers with high-quality products fresher, faster and more convenient than ever before.’

The company also said that with the new purpose-built space, its 'personal shopper' employees in Brisbane will be able to hand-pack orders from a selection of more than 25,000 products with more efficiency.

Aside from the benefits to the customers, Woolworths also expressed its keenness to create more employment opportunities for Australians, predicting that the new facility could provide up to 800 jobs.

Adrian Schrinner, the Lord Mayor of Brisbane, referred to the innovation as a sign of the times, saying: ‘Fast, convenient services are essential to meet the needs of our growing city, as modern life demands choice and flexibility.’

It's not hard to imagine a future where we can order our groceries online and have them delivered to us within a few hours given these new developments. We may even be able to have our groceries delivered by robots! Who knows?

This future may seem like something out of a science fiction movie, but it's not that far-fetched. In fact, it may be closer than we think!

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think our shopping habits will change in the near future? How have grocery stores changed from when you first visited? Let us know your insights in the comments below!
I like to look at meat and vegetables myself. Other shelf items I would be ok with.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
I like to take advantage of all three personal, delivery and click and collect. Choices is what turns me on. I must admit my closest Woolies is also a very large store and dedicated to online orders and click and collect and there are more staff shopping than customers and they clog up the aisles and take all the specials and shelves get emptied quickly. Covid is here like the common cold and flu so reckon we cannot use that as an excuse forever to be unsociable and worry about being close to each other.

Reactions: Ricci
I prefer to do my own shopping in the store so that I can take advantage of any specials. Also I invariably forget to put something I need on my list and seeing it on the shelf jogs my memory!
I like to do my own shopping also but am angered that there are specials for online orders only. So much for looking after the personal shoppers.

I think a dedicated store for online orders is a great idea. I don't currently use online shopping but am not prepared to say I never will as I don't, of course, know how my circumstances may change in the future.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think our shopping habits will change in the near future? How have grocery stores changed from when you first visited? Let us know your insights in the comme

Nothing is free you pay, somebody has to shop for you and then deliver, they only offer free delivery as an introductory offer. Not only that I like to pick out which fresh fruit and vegies I buy, I have seen the pickers in store and they have to be quick and just grab and put into boxes ready for packing. Our neighbours are mostly stay at home mums, kids get picked up by bus and off to school, groceries get delivered then mum's head of to have coffee/ lunch with friends. As far as I can see they are not really earning their keep.

I think a dedicated store for online orders is a great idea. I don't currently use online shopping but am not prepared to say I never will as I don't, of course, know how my circumstances may change in the future.

Fair enough as long as they don't stop customers from shopping in-store. Everyone should have a choice
I have an awful feeling that eventually we won't have a choice. That would be so sad 😞

I mostly agree with all comments. As I shop at Aldi I haven't had the advantage of home delivery. Cost to me is very important, so I do my main shop at Aldi. There are certain things that are unavailable at Aldi that I get from Woolworths. That is my choice! As a very old pensioner, I have to rely on my son-in-law to do the extras for me.