The market for old phones is booming! Could your old phone be worth thousands?

The mobile market has changed drastically over the last few decades. New models with faster processors, more camera megapixels, and longer battery lives spring onto the shelves every year, exciting both first-time purchasers and seasoned phone connoisseurs alike.

Mobile phones may have come a long way since their introduction in the 1980s. But did you know that some of the older models are now worth a small fortune?

If you have an outdated phone laying around your home, you might want to have it checked at your local auctioneer to see if it can help you make a few bucks.

011ce075c59a830d53b0940b5992758d84e4eb8a.png

One auctioneer claimed that the market for the buy, exchange, and sell scene for old phones is currently huge. Credit: 7News.

Adam McDonald, an auctioneer, valuer, and former host of Aussie Pickers, has revealed which used phones are the most desirable and may be worth thousands.

McDonald claimed that the buy, swap, and sell scene for this market is currently 'huge'.

He said: 'Lots of people have got money sitting dormant in their wallet or lying around the house. Anything will do, gold bracelets, rings, earrings, loose change. So, anything you think has got any value to it.'

The Motorola DynaTAC 8000X, especially the black model, is one of the most desirable 'vintage' phones, according to McDonald.

He explained: 'This one’s the most popular because this is the first one that was commercially viable.'

'It was made famous from the show Saved By The Bell so it’s been coined the Zack Morris phone.'

'It also made a comeback in Wolf of Wall Street.'

'So a lot of these phones… you are sort of buying movie memorabilia when you’re buying them.'

Key Takeaways

• Older mobile phones can be worth a lot of money if they are in good condition.
  • The most valuable older mobile phones are those that were featured in movies or TV shows such as the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X.
  • You can price your old phone by scrolling through online marketplaces to get a rough estimate.

A mint-condition version of the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X is currently listed on eBay for $4,000, McDonald added.

The Nokia 8110 also made the list due to its appearances in The Matrix.

'So all of these retro phones usually make a comeback due to the fact they are in a movie,' the auctioneer remarked.

Another old phone that is hot in the market now is the Samsung N270.

Similar to the Nokia 8110, the Samsung N270 also appeared in The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded. However, what really sets it apart from the rest of the models is its rarity.

'That one is quite a rare one,' McDonald said.

'It’s very rare in this country. They were quite popular in the States but to find one in Australia you would be hard-pressed.'

'The best way to price these is through online selling platforms such as Gumtree, eBay or Facebook Marketplace.'

Other old phones that could go for significant amounts of money include the first edition iPhone, models of Blackberry, Motorola flip phone, Ericsson T39, and HTC Touch Diamond2.

If you don't have access to a local auctioneer, McDonald advised that you may easily determine the worth of your old phone by looking through online marketplaces.

So, if you have an old mobile phone laying around collecting dust, it might be time to start digging it out. Who knows? You might end up bringing home some cash!

Sponsored
Not sure I'm understanding 🤔
Hi Suzanne,
Pikki is being picky about grammar.
In the third paragraph, the article states,
" If you have an outdated phone laying
around your home...."
The word should be lying, not laying.
Pikki's implication is chickens lay eggs,
not phones. Also, when you set the table before a meal, you lay the table.
Yes, I picked up on it as I read it, but have chosen to ignore it.
You can too.

My phones don’t produce eggs and can’t set the table for a meal. The word you want is not “laying” but “lying” - the present participle of the verb “to lie” (rest).
Love the grammar police. I'm not being sarcastic because I do! I am totally on the point of screaming "its not me and whoever - its whoever and I" Grrrrrrrr!

Love the grammar police. I'm not being sarcastic because I do! I am totally on the point of screaming "its not me and whoever - its whoever and I" Grrrrrrrr!
Hi Evol P,
For me, it's better not to start correcting other's mistakes.....it would be never ending until the day I die. I decided to be positive....leave it up to someone else to be the grammar police, and I can live happily ever after, no stress.

My phones don’t produce eggs and can’t set the table for a meal. The word you want is not “laying” but “lying” - the present participle of the verb “to lie” (rest).
Ah your correcting their Grammar. I didn't realise they made a mistake

They do a wonderful job posting all this information for us to read , that I'm guessing it's ok to make little mistakes like this or should I say with how much they write it's bound to happen 😉

Hi Evol P,
For me, it's better not to start correcting other's mistakes.....it would be never ending until the day I die. I decided to be positive....leave it up to someone else to be the grammar police, and I can live happily ever after, no stress.
I don't say anything because I think social media is conversational more than educational.
It still annoys me but I wouldn't correct someone who is talking to me, so I don't correct either.

Hi Suzanne,
Pikki is being picky about grammar.
In the third paragraph, the article states,
" If you have an outdated phone laying
around your home...."
The word should be lying, not laying.
Pikki's implication is chickens lay eggs,
not phones. Also, when you set the table before a meal, you lay the table.
Yes, I picked up on it as I read it, but have chosen to ignore it.
You can too.
I see it all the time and we have to remember we are not writing essays or professional journalism, it's mostly fun , seeing others view's and learning new things.
I know I make mistakes or should I say my phone has a mind of its own.

We also have to be careful of those with disabilities eg dyslexia

I see it all the time and we have to remember we are not writing essays or professional journalism, it's mostly fun , seeing others view's and learning new things.
I know I make mistakes or should I say my phone has a mind of its own.

We also have to be careful of those with disabilities eg dyslexia
It's also being tolerant of one another, we are all equal.
We all make mistakes, big or small.....
Making mistakes just proves at least you are trying.

Hi Everyone, Whooops! The 'laying' instead of 'lying' was my error. I'm really sorry about that, I'll do my best to learn from this one. But yes, just confirming I am human, not a robot :ROFLMAO: so I will make mistakes - but enjoy being called out when I make one, because otherwise I won't learn!

Appreciate everyone being so kind about it ☀️ You're a lovely bunch!

The mobile market has changed drastically over the last few decades. New models with faster processors, more camera megapixels, and longer battery lives spring onto the shelves every year, exciting both first-time purchasers and seasoned phone connoisseurs alike.

Mobile phones may have come a long way since their introduction in the 1980s. But did you know that some of the older models are now worth a small fortune?

If you have an outdated phone laying around your home, you might want to have it checked at your local auctioneer to see if it can help you make a few bucks.

One auctioneer claimed that the market for the buy, exchange, and sell scene for old phones is currently huge. Credit: 7News.

Adam McDonald, an auctioneer, valuer, and former host of Aussie Pickers, has revealed which used phones are the most desirable and may be worth thousands.

McDonald claimed that the buy, swap, and sell scene for this market is currently 'huge'.

He said: 'Lots of people have got money sitting dormant in their wallet or lying around the house. Anything will do, gold bracelets, rings, earrings, loose change. So, anything you think has got any value to it.'

The Motorola DynaTAC 8000X, especially the black model, is one of the most desirable 'vintage' phones, according to McDonald.

He explained: 'This one’s the most popular because this is the first one that was commercially viable.'

'It was made famous from the show Saved By The Bell so it’s been coined the Zack Morris phone.'

'So a lot of these phones… you are sort of buying movie memorabilia when you’re buying them.'

Key Takeaways

• Older mobile phones can be worth a lot of money if they are in good condition.
  • The most valuable older mobile phones are those that were featured in movies or TV shows such as the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X.
  • You can price your old phone by scrolling through online marketplaces to get a rough estimate.

A mint-condition version of the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X is currently listed on eBay for $4,000, McDonald added.

'So all of these retro phones usually make a comeback due to the fact they are in a movie,' the auctioneer remarked.

Similar to the Nokia 8110, the Samsung N270 also appeared in The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded. However, what really sets it apart from the rest of the models is its rarity.

'It’s very rare in this country. They were quite popular in the States but to find one in Australia you would be hard-pressed.'

'The best way to price these is through online selling platforms such as Gumtree, eBay or Facebook Marketplace.'

Other old phones that could go for significant amounts of money include the first edition iPhone, models of Blackberry, Motorola flip phone, Ericsson T39, and HTC Touch Diamond2.

If you don't have access to a local auctioneer, McDonald advised that you may easily determine the worth of your old phone by looking through online marketplaces.

So, if you have an old mobile phone laying around collecting dust, it might be time to start digging it out. Who knows? You might end up bringing home some cash!
It's lying not laying. sorry but we're not Yanks

Key Takeaways

It's lying not laying. sorry but we're not Yanks

Is correct grammar still taught in schools these days??? Lying, laying, saw, seen. The list goes on!!
Flav G.

Reactions: Ezzy