The laundry war: Viral clip about how often you should wash garments starts a heated debate

From using shaving cream as a stain remover to hanging clean clothes in one go, the SDC boasts a vast range of laundry tips to make the job less dreadful. But there’s one little aspect that we haven’t covered until today… How often should garments and linen be washed?

A viral Instagram video that touched on the age-old question caused an uproar online, revealing how often people should use shirts, underwear, sheets, and towels before it’s time to pop them in the washing machine.

The clip, which was posted by laundry detergent brand Washland, suggested that people should wash bras after three to four wears, bedding every two weeks, and bath towels once or twice weekly.

In addition, Washlands recommended washing socks after each wear, shirts after two to four, and pyjamas after three to five. They also shared that denim garments can be put in the laundry after being worn up to ten times.

J5uSWvQSDd3nZ2FwkrG3Xw_jkhFmUebwNLuLwMoy7xDOp1ugn7fZfOLKTUDT16OupbsuM9df__-SfnsT42ns8amArdohyVFSV26No6MwaTtk5Gm7Dba95O1LGqPtEnnTtlhIrDfoCqbFzkisBPsuVOM

The video suggested how often people should wash clothes. Source: The Spruce

The Instagram video amassed over 8.9 million views and thousands of comments from users who were divided about the advice.

Several brutally slammed the 'nasty' advice and argued that people should wash clothing after each wear, but the other half pointed out that doing so is 'wasteful'.

'That’s nasty! Bedding should be changed and washed twice a week. Towels should be changed and washed twice a week. All clothes should be washed after every wear. If you do it differently, you’re gross – I don’t care.’ one woman sneered.

'Shirts should be washed after 2 to 4 wears? Sure, if you want to smell like an armpit.’ teased another.

A third was appalled, saying: ‘Bedding after 2 weeks?! That is disgusting! Get out of here.’

Source: @washlandco

However, not everyone was impressed by how other users reacted, with one lecturing: ‘Some people do not even have clothes to change and nor do they have a washing machine.’

‘People are spoiled and think their standards are great by saying, “Oh, how nasty”. There are no life rules for this and there are far more important things in life to worry about than how often you should wash your clothes.’ they continued.

‘These kinds of things are utter s***. No sane person washes these things that much… What a complete waste of time, water, and electricity!’ another chimed.

ZdXMenPwiMxZEkQ1TjTh_eiPnMYIuYN8yqWAg4FRNhzG-g3n3WXNg2BBtal3USClfHp1pBLJ_K-QmDHbM6iLPHMsZTrwAeZXsmlMlNtsL-lP3xb8Wsa0wq75wPdqEo1oTJD7TpPpSIomFRiDSx_4ppM

Several thought the laundry advice was disgusting. Source: Cleaning – LoveToKnow

'So, you work every day then wash the bed sheets once a week, the towels and clothing after each use, cook, clean the house, run errands, take care of your yard, clean your car, pay your bills, etc – where do you all get the time to do this?' a third slammed.

'I wash things when they need to be washed. It’s wasteful to wash everything after one wear or scheduled washes, but to each their own.’ a fourth added.

'This changes drastically from person to person as everyone is different and doesn't live the same life.’ a fourth said.

For us, the ‘sniff test’ does the job. If it’s stinky, then it definitely belongs to the laundry. (We’re kidding… Or are we?)

What are your thoughts on Washland’s laundry advice? How often do YOU wash your clothes and linen? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
I saw this the other day and thought a couple a bit strange...shirts 2 to 3 before washing !!!

I wash :
sheets once a week

Shirts and tops every wear

Jeans and pants 2 to 3 wear

Jumpers I wear twice

Pyjamas twice a week Mondays and fridays.

Socks and underwear of course daily

Blankets and bedspreads every 4 to 6 weeks.

Towels which everyone has their own these are every 2nd day. My son uses a clean towel every time

I thought this was pretty much the normal

From using shaving cream as a stain remover to hanging clean clothes in one go, the SDC boasts a vast range of laundry tips to make the job less dreadful. But there’s one little aspect that we haven’t covered until today… How often should garments and linen be washed?

A viral Instagram video that touched on the age-old question caused an uproar online, revealing how often people should use shirts, underwear, sheets, and towels before it’s time to pop them in the washing machine.

The clip, which was posted by laundry detergent brand Washland, suggested that people should wash bras after three to four wears, bedding every two weeks, and bath towels once or twice weekly.

In addition, Washlands recommended washing socks after each wear, shirts after two to four, and pyjamas after three to five. They also shared that denim garments can be put in the laundry after being worn up to ten times.

J5uSWvQSDd3nZ2FwkrG3Xw_jkhFmUebwNLuLwMoy7xDOp1ugn7fZfOLKTUDT16OupbsuM9df__-SfnsT42ns8amArdohyVFSV26No6MwaTtk5Gm7Dba95O1LGqPtEnnTtlhIrDfoCqbFzkisBPsuVOM

The Instagram video amassed over 8.9 million views and thousands of comments from users who were divided about the advice.

Several brutally slammed the 'nasty' advice and argued that people should wash clothing after each wear, but the other half pointed out that doing so is 'wasteful'.

'That’s nasty! Bedding should be changed and washed twice a week. Towels should be changed and washed twice a week. All clothes should be washed after every wear. If you do it differently, you’re gross – I don’t care.’ one woman sneered.

'Shirts should be washed after 2 to 4 wears? Sure, if you want to smell like an armpit.’ teased another.

A third was appalled, saying: ‘Bedding after 2 weeks?! That is disgusting! Get out of here.’

However, not everyone was impressed by how other users reacted, with one lecturing: ‘Some people do not even have clothes to change and nor do they have a washing machine.’

‘People are spoiled and think their standards are great by saying, “Oh, how nasty”. There are no life rules for this and there are far more important things in life to worry about than how often you should wash your clothes.’ they continued.

‘These kinds of things are utter s***. No sane person washes these things that much… What a complete waste of time, water, and electricity!’ another chimed.

ZdXMenPwiMxZEkQ1TjTh_eiPnMYIuYN8yqWAg4FRNhzG-g3n3WXNg2BBtal3USClfHp1pBLJ_K-QmDHbM6iLPHMsZTrwAeZXsmlMlNtsL-lP3xb8Wsa0wq75wPdqEo1oTJD7TpPpSIomFRiDSx_4ppM

Several thought the laundry advice was disgusting. Source: Cleaning – LoveToKnow

'So, you work every day then wash the bed sheets once a week, the towels and clothing after each use, cook, clean the house, run errands, take care of your yard, clean your car, pay your bills, etc – where do you all get the time to do this?' a third slammed.

'I wash things when they need to be washed. It’s wasteful to wash everything after one wear or scheduled washes, but to each their own.’ a fourth added.

'This changes drastically from person to person as everyone is different and doesn't live the same life.’ a fourth said.

For us, the ‘sniff test’ does the job. If it’s stinky, then it definitely belongs to the laundry. (We’re kidding… Or are we?)

What are your thoughts on Washland’s laundry advice? How often do YOU wash your clothes and linen? Let us know in the comments!

We wash our sheets weekly and doona covers fortnightly. Towels are washed 3 times a week in winter because the cold weather means they are damp and not effective because they don't dry completely after use. In summer we wash them twice a week. We wash most clothes after use except for outerwear like jumpers, hoodies and jackets which we wash after a few wears. PJs we wash twice a week in winter but more often in summer because of the sweat factor.

I wash according to climate......when we are on water restrictions, I sponge outer clothing, and have enough hoarded other layers to do bigger loads ar one time. When it is pouring, and nothing will dry,I wash essentials, underwear, socks etc. And try to get things partly dry however I can. Those who wash multiple loads a day, as I had to do with little kids, find their water and power use to be significant, not to mention that the clothes wear out more rapidly! Just grateful I do not have to wash using the copper and hand wring everything, which a number of my foremothers had to do!

It amazes me that in this age of environmental awareness there are still people who wash religiously a certain number of times a week whether items are dirty/smelly or not. Certainly if you work a very physical job your clothing may need washing daily but the average person definitely doesn't need to wash after every wear. Most of my jumpers last quite nicely for the winter and I wash them all before they are packed away until next winter. Jeans and most pairs of trousers can be worn a number of times before washing. Certainly in summer blouses need to be washed more often. Sometimes after every wear if the weather has been humid. As far as linen goes I think most people wash sheets too often and towels not enough. I hang all the towels out in the sun every day so they don't stay in the bathroom damp and I wash them every second day. We all should be far more careful about how often we turn on the washing machine and drier to make sure we are causing as little damage to the environment as possible.

Go back to the 50's and earlier before auto washing machines and one even had to boil water in the copper
Washing day was Monday when the bottom sheet was washed and replaced with the top sheet, and a new top sheet.
One post i saw a few years back, the lady washed her towel after evry shower/bath. She didn't like the thought of her " ;gina juices" on the towel. Just what was she doing in the shower?? and di d she not actually wash it?
Modern life and appliances has made people so pernickety.
Try living on the road in caravan with 1 cold water sink!

Reactions: Ricci
I wash weekly but clothes and other items are changed accordingly. I lived in the days of a copper and hand washing and know the importance of of wasting water as we only had a couple of rain water tanks so had to use it sparingly. I love the smell of fresh linen after being placed on a clothesline and rarely use a dryer

We wash our sheets weekly and doona covers fortnightly. Towels are washed 3 times a week in winter because the cold weather means they are damp and not effective because they don't dry completely after use. In summer we wash them twice a week. We wash most clothes after use except for outerwear like jumpers, hoodies and jackets which we wash after a few wears. PJs we wash twice a week in winter but more often in summer because of the sweat factor.
You know…who cares? Obviously when they’re dirty!!!’ What a stupid story’

I will agree that socks and jocks need to be changed daily but just about everything else is on a needs must basis. It depends on the season and the weather, obviously summer stuff needs more frequent washing to deal with the heat and sweat factor but winter stuff, not so often. My washing machine only gets a run when it's full so seeing as there's only me and I have waaay too many clothes, sometimes it's only run once a fortnight!:)

I love getting into a bed with freshly washed sheets. Washing can depend on,, - weather , I wouldn’t get two wears out of sweaty clothes. Others might not feel the heat as much. If I go out for only a couple of hours and change when I get home then I’ll often wear them twice. Jeans I’ll usually wear twice. But everyone is different.

All of the comments on how often to wash which particular items...... Not everyone has access to a plentiful water supply; I've been there and done that. Only had rainwater available and in a warm climate, and that water also had to cover showers, household chores, drinking water, etc. So being careful and frugal with the water was necessary.

Yes, keep clothing etc clean. If you live in a hot climate, then washing clothing after each wear would be normal. If you live in a cold climate then washing clothing after 2 or 3 wears would be alright. Bedding - at least weekly in a cooler climate and twice weekly in a hot climate. Towels etc; use common sense but at least weekly.

They're just my thoughts. I've lived in both hot and cold climates, so frequent washing for hot weather is "necessary" (for everyone's benefit ^-^).

When you live with an illness that cannot be operated on because your age depicts "no operation", other symptoms make you work until you drop. Keeping clothes & bedding & a sweet smell throughout your home for not only the way you have always lived, but for visitors also, whom you do not tell your ailments to, takes up your day. So many other deeds you slot in for others less fortunate than yourself, you never have to look far. You have no use for people who complain continually about themselves. They, in turn help you to be positive about every minute of the day. Everyone is DIFFERENT & we MUST accept what we cannot change. Constructive criticism is great when you have the need to help someone, but destructive criticism is an area that Leanneh should not have gone down abusing Aldi & my "rant" .. That was so unkind & so unnecessary. The people who created this Club, in no way expected us to be "over the top" with each other. I see no future in criticism to the extent of bantering supposition of a person who they have never met. I am positive the original six people created this space for pure enjoyment in solving problems & having some laughs as we all have had I am sure. Had I thought differently I would never have contributed. I feel it is so friendly & respectful to all of my new found Club friends. xx

You are not your laundry! The sky does not fall in when one is unable to do the washing! We all need to be practical, and acknowledging and supporting one's health is very high on the priority list! Do what you can, when you can!

It amazes me that in this age of environmental awareness there are still people who wash religiously a certain number of times a week whether items are dirty/smelly or not. Certainly if you work a very physical job your clothing may need washing daily but the average person definitely doesn't need to wash after every wear. Most of my jumpers last quite nicely for the winter and I wash them all before they are packed away until next winter. Jeans and most pairs of trousers can be worn a number of times before washing. Certainly in summer blouses need to be washed more often. Sometimes after every wear if the weather has been humid. As far as linen goes I think most people wash sheets too often and towels not enough. I hang all the towels out in the sun every day so they don't stay in the bathroom damp and I wash them every second day. We all should be far more careful about how often we turn on the washing machine and drier to make sure we are causing as little damage to the environment as possible.
dryer even