The items Aussies are removing from their grocery lists just to save

The cost of living crisis has reached a point where everyday Aussies are forced to make difficult decisions at the supermarket checkout.

Grocery prices have been on the rise at a rate that hasn't been witnessed in years, and this surge in costs has led shoppers to reevaluate their choices.

True enough, some have decided to skip buying once-essential household items that have now become too expensive.

Case in point: a social media post asked fellow shoppers to share which products they have had to cut from their shopping lists.

And the candid responses that followed highlighted the significant toll that this cost of living crisis is taking on individuals and families nationwide.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 2.52.09 PM.png
Aussie shoppers have been forced to give up some of their favourite items because of the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash.

On the social media post, many discussed their adjusted spending habits to manage their finances better. They've shared many changes, from cutting down on everyday items like branded cereal, razors, and cat litter.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Another lamented the rising cost of fridge essentials such as butter, joking, 'I should have bought a tonne before the pandemic. I could have bought a car with the profit.'

In addition to cutting down on their grocery shopping, some also mentioned that they had stopped going to the pub for a drink and dinner and skipped their local cafe for a coffee and, as they put it, the 'ridiculously expensive' ham and cheese croissant.

One person expressed frustration at the rising prices of popular beer brands, saying, 'I was disgusted to see crappy Tooheys New is over $80 a case, and VB is almost $70.'

Another person chimed in, suggesting that fast-food chains like McDonald's might be facing losses.

'They've hiked up the prices so much that you can get much better quality fast food for the same price or less at the local kebab shop,' they added.

Anneke Thompson, the Chief Economist at CreditorWatch, confirmed that Aussie consumers are reducing spending.

She pointed out that consumer confidence is extremely low, having dropped by 1.5 per cent in September—and this decrease in confidence is primarily due to concerns about potential interest rate increases.

Inflation increased in August, mainly driven by rising fuel and bread prices.

But the good news is that Australia's overall inflation is expected to gradually decrease over time.

By the end of 2025, Australia is projected to return to the Reserve Bank of Australia's target inflation range of 2-3 per cent.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man initiated a social media conversation about how everyday supermarket items have become too costly due to the rising cost of living.
  • Many Australians have changed their shopping habits as a result, with non-essential items such as snacks, razors, and branded cereal getting left on the shelves.
  • The increasing prices of food items and refrigerator essentials such as butter and cheese have caused concern and frustration among shoppers.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Have you found yourself in a situation where you've had to give up some of your favourite supermarket items to save money? Perhaps you've had to forgo certain indulgences or luxuries you once enjoyed. If so, which items or products have you had to do without?

We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips or strategies you've used to budget effectively. Please share your stories and insights with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I didn't buy anything.
A family member went to Harbor Town and bought enough clothes for the entire neighbourhood, on her credit card. As she never pays off more than the monthly minimum payment, she will have paid more than the original cost would have been, many times over, and yet she thinks she got a bargain.
No accounting for some people's stupidity.
Tell her to read the bottom of the first page of her Credit Card statement - it tells you exactly how long (how many years) it will take to pay off the balance owing if you only pay the minimum amount. Then read how much she will REALLY pay if she continues to do Minimum Amount every month.
It is the fastest way to go broke and lose EVERYTHING! It does not bode well for anyone’s future, especially their Credit Rating level.

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
Most of the items listed are junk food & bad for your health so why would u be wasting money on them. Some people have no idea I'm afraid. We don't need to stress about money, we are lucky I guess but have gone without for many years so we could enjoy our retirement. We are use to just buying what we need not what we want. Take care everyone & enjoy the holiday break.

Reactions: PattiB
Tell her to read the bottom of the first page of her Credit Card statement - it tells you exactly how long (how many years) it will take to pay off the balance owing if you only pay the minimum amount. Then read how much she will REALLY pay if she continues to do Minimum Amount every month.
It is the fastest way to go broke and lose EVERYTHING! It does not bode well for anyone’s future, especially their Credit Rating level.
I have explained this to her over and over. Am tired of beating my head against a brick wall.
She and her husband have six credit cards between them. They use funds from one to make payment on another. How they managed to get so many cards is beyond me.
Have tried telling them they can't go on forever robbing Peter to pay Paul, but my cat has got more brains than the pair of them put together.

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
I have explained this to her over and over. Am tired of beating my head against a brick wall.
She and her husband have six credit cards between them. They use funds from one to make payment on another. How they managed to get so many cards is beyond me.
Have tried telling them they can't go on forever robbing Peter to pay Paul, but my cat has got more brains than the pair of them put together.
It's sad , they are just living for today not realising what the future could hold including unemployment, illness ect

I wasn't expecting not to be working , I thought I would work until retirement age, then I got sick and thank goodness I had no debt abd had paid off my house . I couldn't even imagine how it would have been with debt

The cost of living crisis has reached a point where everyday Aussies are forced to make difficult decisions at the supermarket checkout.

Grocery prices have been on the rise at a rate that hasn't been witnessed in years, and this surge in costs has led shoppers to reevaluate their choices.

True enough, some have decided to skip buying once-essential household items that have now become too expensive.

Case in point: a social media post asked fellow shoppers to share which products they have had to cut from their shopping lists.

And the candid responses that followed highlighted the significant toll that this cost of living crisis is taking on individuals and families nationwide.

View attachment 32656
Aussie shoppers have been forced to give up some of their favourite items because of the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash.

On the social media post, many discussed their adjusted spending habits to manage their finances better. They've shared many changes, from cutting down on everyday items like branded cereal, razors, and cat litter.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Another lamented the rising cost of fridge essentials such as butter, joking, 'I should have bought a tonne before the pandemic. I could have bought a car with the profit.'

In addition to cutting down on their grocery shopping, some also mentioned that they had stopped going to the pub for a drink and dinner and skipped their local cafe for a coffee and, as they put it, the 'ridiculously expensive' ham and cheese croissant.

One person expressed frustration at the rising prices of popular beer brands, saying, 'I was disgusted to see crappy Tooheys New is over $80 a case, and VB is almost $70.'

Another person chimed in, suggesting that fast-food chains like McDonald's might be facing losses.

'They've hiked up the prices so much that you can get much better quality fast food for the same price or less at the local kebab shop,' they added.

Anneke Thompson, the Chief Economist at CreditorWatch, confirmed that Aussie consumers are reducing spending.

She pointed out that consumer confidence is extremely low, having dropped by 1.5 per cent in September—and this decrease in confidence is primarily due to concerns about potential interest rate increases.

But the good news is that Australia's overall inflation is expected to gradually decrease over time.

By the end of 2025, Australia is projected to return to the Reserve Bank of Australia's target inflation range of 2-3 per cent.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man initiated a social media conversation about how everyday supermarket items have become too costly due to the rising cost of living.
  • Many Australians have changed their shopping habits as a result, with non-essential items such as snacks, razors, and branded cereal getting left on the shelves.
  • The increasing prices of food items and refrigerator essentials such as butter and cheese have caused concern and frustration among shoppers.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Have you found yourself in a situation where you've had to give up some of your favourite supermarket items to save money? Perhaps you've had to forgo certain indulgences or luxuries you once enjoyed. If so, which items or products have you had to do without?

We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips or strategies you've used to budget effectively. Please share your stories and insights with us in the comments section below!
This has been escalating steadily, despite supermarket fibs of "down, down". Butter and cheese are among the worst examples. What really gets my goat is price one week doubles the next and drops back again the following week, e.g. Jordans granola can be $4.25, shoot up to $12, next it can be $8 or $9, then back to $5 something. Not only is it annoyingly ridiculous, it's downright stupid.

We have a 7Eleven near an ocean view bench. $1.50 buys us a nice coffee on our daily walk. Perfect. Never buy junk food in the supermarkets & only buy what we need 🧐

I’m sick and tired of people complaining about things they can’t afford. Maybe be grateful if you have a roof over your heads, any food to eat and friends or family. Think of the many places in the world at present where there is only violence and trauma, where children are dying and loving parents if they survive have to watch their children or family and friends die. Where there is no sanitation, only disease and fear. Stop whining and understand that you live in a stable, caring country and are rich beyond measure. Maybe start saving the money you would normally spend on a coffee or a takeaway, or junk food and give it to a charity to help others in dire circumstances. Try being grateful for what you do have. I cannot feel sorry for anyone who moans and groans about not being able to buy crisps or beer etc. if you can’t afford meat then enjoy vegetable dishes and give thanks for having food.

A good kebab outweighs a bag of air from McDonalds any day. They are healthier, tastier and more satisfying than most takeaway food. Last time I bought a burger (bag of air) from McDonalds I was still hungry as shinkflation had eaten away half of it.
I agree. I had not been to Maccas for many years & was shocked when I found myself needing food & not seeing anywhere else in the town I was visiting, I went to Maccas & got this half-size burger for twice the price. It will be many years more since I go to Maccas again.

View attachment 32656

Key Takeaways

We haven't so much cut down as changed what we buy. We don't eat much in the way of fruit and veg and don't miss any of it. Our concentration is on protein. I buy butter and cook with it. Whilst hubby eats sour dough rolls I don't do bread so a small saving there. We eat mostly meat and eggs. We don't spend on stuff like pasta, rice and snacks so what we save we can put into meat and eggs. I have a rewards card from Woolworths plus I pay $5 a month for the extra 10% off at Big W and Woolies. I buy some 'essentials' from BigW so it get back what I paid out for being in the program. Yes they would have factored in the discounts but if you have to buy the stuff, toilet rolls, cleaning products and stuff you might as well have the discount. My rewards points bought almost all we needed over Christmas so saved that way as well

I’m sick and tired of people complaining about things they can’t afford. Maybe be grateful if you have a roof over your heads, any food to eat and friends or family. Think of the many places in the world at present where there is only violence and trauma, where children are dying and loving parents if they survive have to watch their children or family and friends die. Where there is no sanitation, only disease and fear. Stop whining and understand that you live in a stable, caring country and are rich beyond measure. Maybe start saving the money you would normally spend on a coffee or a takeaway, or junk food and give it to a charity to help others in dire circumstances. Try being grateful for what you do have. I cannot feel sorry for anyone who moans and groans about not being able to buy crisps or beer etc. if you can’t afford meat then enjoy vegetable dishes and give thanks for having food.
Tend to agree. I prioritise meat and eggs. We live on the pension (we do get a bit extra due to hubby's defence service but we lose on the aged pension as it's considered income) He has a disability so has an aged care package but we can't use it for groceries just stuff that assists him live well. We don't buy much other than his Pepsi drinks and a bit of chocolate. All the rest has been removed, no snacks other than a bit of cabana and cheese

I always go to the boxing day sales armed with my fairly small list. I am one of the first to drive into Booragoon and probably one of the first to leave. I get my Christmas cards and paper for next year at 50% off for next year and bits and pieces I have been wanting and only get if they are on sale. Within 2 hours tops I am on my way home ready to relax and put my feet up. And when I am shopping there are few people around, perfect. I do have a couple more things to look for but will do it if and when I can, and not a problem if I do not get there. Sales on all year round pretty much so wait for the next one!

I don't cut down on spending on shopping. If I want something then I buy it. Most places you wouldn't even know there's some sort of alleged cost of living crisis.🙄

At home I'd rather use a fan then the a/c because of the price of the electric, or if it gets really hot just put it on in the living room and main bedroom for an hour or so.