The items Aussies are removing from their grocery lists just to save

The cost of living crisis has reached a point where everyday Aussies are forced to make difficult decisions at the supermarket checkout.

Grocery prices have been on the rise at a rate that hasn't been witnessed in years, and this surge in costs has led shoppers to reevaluate their choices.

True enough, some have decided to skip buying once-essential household items that have now become too expensive.

Case in point: a social media post asked fellow shoppers to share which products they have had to cut from their shopping lists.

And the candid responses that followed highlighted the significant toll that this cost of living crisis is taking on individuals and families nationwide.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 2.52.09 PM.png
Aussie shoppers have been forced to give up some of their favourite items because of the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash.

On the social media post, many discussed their adjusted spending habits to manage their finances better. They've shared many changes, from cutting down on everyday items like branded cereal, razors, and cat litter.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Another lamented the rising cost of fridge essentials such as butter, joking, 'I should have bought a tonne before the pandemic. I could have bought a car with the profit.'

In addition to cutting down on their grocery shopping, some also mentioned that they had stopped going to the pub for a drink and dinner and skipped their local cafe for a coffee and, as they put it, the 'ridiculously expensive' ham and cheese croissant.

One person expressed frustration at the rising prices of popular beer brands, saying, 'I was disgusted to see crappy Tooheys New is over $80 a case, and VB is almost $70.'

Another person chimed in, suggesting that fast-food chains like McDonald's might be facing losses.

'They've hiked up the prices so much that you can get much better quality fast food for the same price or less at the local kebab shop,' they added.

Anneke Thompson, the Chief Economist at CreditorWatch, confirmed that Aussie consumers are reducing spending.

She pointed out that consumer confidence is extremely low, having dropped by 1.5 per cent in September—and this decrease in confidence is primarily due to concerns about potential interest rate increases.

Inflation increased in August, mainly driven by rising fuel and bread prices.

But the good news is that Australia's overall inflation is expected to gradually decrease over time.

By the end of 2025, Australia is projected to return to the Reserve Bank of Australia's target inflation range of 2-3 per cent.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man initiated a social media conversation about how everyday supermarket items have become too costly due to the rising cost of living.
  • Many Australians have changed their shopping habits as a result, with non-essential items such as snacks, razors, and branded cereal getting left on the shelves.
  • The increasing prices of food items and refrigerator essentials such as butter and cheese have caused concern and frustration among shoppers.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Have you found yourself in a situation where you've had to give up some of your favourite supermarket items to save money? Perhaps you've had to forgo certain indulgences or luxuries you once enjoyed. If so, which items or products have you had to do without?

We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips or strategies you've used to budget effectively. Please share your stories and insights with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Well, if you look at how many billions of $'s Australians spend on Boxing Day (it was on the news), even more than previous years, you won't say there is a cost of living crisis in Australia. The only thing I bought on Boxing day, was 3 liters of milk.
Exactly. I avoided the shops yesterday, but daughter said it shops were packed. Plenty of money being spent!

The cost of living crisis has reached a point where everyday Aussies are forced to make difficult decisions at the supermarket checkout.

Grocery prices have been on the rise at a rate that hasn't been witnessed in years, and this surge in costs has led shoppers to reevaluate their choices.

True enough, some have decided to skip buying once-essential household items that have now become too expensive.

Case in point: a social media post asked fellow shoppers to share which products they have had to cut from their shopping lists.

And the candid responses that followed highlighted the significant toll that this cost of living crisis is taking on individuals and families nationwide.

View attachment 32656
Aussie shoppers have been forced to give up some of their favourite items because of the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Unsplash.

On the social media post, many discussed their adjusted spending habits to manage their finances better. They've shared many changes, from cutting down on everyday items like branded cereal, razors, and cat litter.

Chips, soft drinks, beer and microwave popcorn were among the most common impulse purchases now considered too expensive by many.

One person shared, 'If the bag is over $3.50, I don't buy them. That's the absolute most I'll pay for a packet of crisps.'

Another lamented the rising cost of fridge essentials such as butter, joking, 'I should have bought a tonne before the pandemic. I could have bought a car with the profit.'

In addition to cutting down on their grocery shopping, some also mentioned that they had stopped going to the pub for a drink and dinner and skipped their local cafe for a coffee and, as they put it, the 'ridiculously expensive' ham and cheese croissant.

One person expressed frustration at the rising prices of popular beer brands, saying, 'I was disgusted to see crappy Tooheys New is over $80 a case, and VB is almost $70.'

Another person chimed in, suggesting that fast-food chains like McDonald's might be facing losses.

'They've hiked up the prices so much that you can get much better quality fast food for the same price or less at the local kebab shop,' they added.

Anneke Thompson, the Chief Economist at CreditorWatch, confirmed that Aussie consumers are reducing spending.

She pointed out that consumer confidence is extremely low, having dropped by 1.5 per cent in September—and this decrease in confidence is primarily due to concerns about potential interest rate increases.

But the good news is that Australia's overall inflation is expected to gradually decrease over time.

By the end of 2025, Australia is projected to return to the Reserve Bank of Australia's target inflation range of 2-3 per cent.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man initiated a social media conversation about how everyday supermarket items have become too costly due to the rising cost of living.
  • Many Australians have changed their shopping habits as a result, with non-essential items such as snacks, razors, and branded cereal getting left on the shelves.
  • The increasing prices of food items and refrigerator essentials such as butter and cheese have caused concern and frustration among shoppers.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Have you found yourself in a situation where you've had to give up some of your favourite supermarket items to save money? Perhaps you've had to forgo certain indulgences or luxuries you once enjoyed. If so, which items or products have you had to do without?

We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips or strategies you've used to budget effectively. Please share your stories and insights with us in the comments section below!
I have question does anyone save for Xmas????

To be honest I think Xmas as well as boxing day sales are disgusting, it's all about the shops getting people to spend and its all about seeing how much the shops make.

Do people realise with the boxing day sales alot of the items are just items the shops want to clearout.
My son who works at rebel said they had big sales yesterday but alot of the items were what they wanted to get rid off eg items that wouldn't sell if they didn't reduce the price.
All other items were normal sale price

Well, if you look at how many billions of $'s Australians spend on Boxing Day (it was on the news), even more than previous years, you won't say there is a cost of living crisis in Australia. The only thing I bought on Boxing day, was 3 liters of milk.
I didn't buy anything.
A family member went to Harbor Town and bought enough clothes for the entire neighbourhood, on her credit card. As she never pays off more than the monthly minimum payment, she will have paid more than the original cost would have been, many times over, and yet she thinks she got a bargain.
No accounting for some people's stupidity.

View attachment 32656

Key Takeaways

Why are people wasting money on these junk foods...I.e. chips, soft drinks, popcorn.......absolute waste of money when other foods are so expensive. Do without them !

Wow. These items were not esse

View attachment 32656

Key Takeaways

in the first place and considered “once in a while “ by most dietitians. These items were definitely not on my list when I was saving for a first home or a piece of furniture

Yes, I do. I also buy gifts when I see bargain prices during the year.
There are many ways to save money if you put your mind to it.
I hardly ever pay full price for anything. Most things come on special every six weeks or so, I then buy enough to last until the next cycle.
I buy my clothes thru the Temu website and get constant comments on how nice I look.
Used to shop thru LightinaBox, who sell most of the same things, but Temu are cheaper,quicker delivery, $5 credit added to your account if the goods don't arrive by the given date and the biggest bonus is no freight charge.
Only suggestion I would make is that you must check the size chart, don't just by S,M,L etc as like most stores these sizes can mean different things from one manufacturer to another.

To be honest I think Xmas as well as boxing day sales are disgusting, it's all about the shops getting people to spend and its all about seeing how much the shops make.

Do people realise with the boxing day sales alot of the items are just items the shops want to clearout.
My son who works at rebel said they had big sales yesterday but alot of the items were what they wanted to get rid off eg items that wouldn't sell if they didn't reduce the price.
All other items were normal sale price
Well it is all about choice, which we all have. No one has to spend a cent.

View attachment 32656

Key Takeaways

I can't afford Red meat. Only a luxury now. I only have coffee in a Cafe once a week, if I am feeling in need of little pep up. Take away food is to expensive for my budget.

Reactions: Ezzy and Bunyip57
Yes I do, First of all my motto is If you cannot afford it do not buy it, my way to save for Xmas is very simple every fortnight I get Centre Link to pay a certain amount of money ( you determine what you can afford) and transfer it to an account in your bank, come the end of November you have a nice sum to spend on your Xmas needs What you do not see you do not miss The only little drawback is do not expect much interest and resist drawing it out to pay a bill, 99% of my bills are paid by direct deposit also I keep an exercise book and record daily any incoming or outgoing transactions. I have been doing this system for quite a few years and my credit card is only used for emergences I laugh to myself sometimes in a queue when a person in front of me pulls out about 4 cards and wonders which one to use, may the New Year bring you all that you wish for.

A good kebab outweighs a bag of air from McDonalds any day. They are healthier, tastier and more satisfying than most takeaway food. Last time I bought a burger (bag of air) from McDonalds I was still hungry as shinkflation had eaten away half of it.