The Hidden Costs of Being Poor In Australia

If you're a seasoned IKEA shopper who's ever bought a faux-leather lounge for half the price, only for it to crumble like a sausage roll, then you're probably well-acquainted with the phrase ‘buy cheap, buy twice’. But not everyone has a choice in the matter.

Recently, a thoughtful discussion arose online about the pitfalls associated with living on a low or fixed income and how it can paradoxically be more expensive than the cost of living for those on a higher income.

The post unearthed the issue through relatable examples like exorbitant bank overdraft fees, high grocery prices and the cost of ‘convenience’ when you don’t live close to major discount stores.

pexels-ahsanjaya-8719570 (1).jpg
A discussion arose about ‘how expensive it is to be poor’ in Australia. Credit: Pexels

One participant confessed to bargain hunting at ALDI, swayed by deals on essentials such as fruit and veg, only to succumb to the tantalising ‘life-changing’ offerings of the notorious middle aisle.

Issues of registration, parking, fines, dental work, electricity bills, fuel, public transport, and clothing were also uncovered as grave concerns.

One commenter suggested that fines should be a fraction of one's earnings, addressing the asymmetrical burden these bear upon low-income individuals.

The lack of quality affordable winter clothing was also a huge concern, with many stating the unfairness in the 'cheap equals thin' mentality of low-cost fashion and op shops.

‘Clothing. There's no cheap warm clothes. You have to layer up a lot more since cheap=thin. Even op shops overcharge.’ said one comment.

Another added, ‘Can’t buy decent pots and pans or shoes so buy cheap ones that wear out and have to be replaced. Buy once and buy quality requires money to shell out in the first place.’

Meanwhile, others were more concerned with another essential–mediation. Medication expenses, particularly for the ageing demographic dealing with increased health anomalies, were another huge point of worry.

‘Medication, especially as you get older and need more of it.’

Dental health was an issue that equally resonated with commenters, with stories of decade-long lapses from their last visit.

‘I haven't been to the dentist since the free dental van in primary school. Definitely over twenty years ago.’

Food shopping left many disgruntled, pointing out the regrettable irony of being compelled to buy food in lesser quantities at a much higher cost per kilogram, underscoring the expensive struggle of being poor.

Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 4.13.06 pm.png
The original post that spurred the discussion. Credit: Reddit/Fickle_Restaurant_77

Buy-in-bulk stores like Costco emerged as a saving grace but were still viewed as a mixed blessing considering the membership fees, vast storage space necessary, and transport hassles involved.

The narrative of a woman whose husband was underpaid for 16 years by his disability service employer was particularly striking. They took the company to court, and even though they got a six-year back payment, this led to the loss of their low-income health card and other concessions.

‘My husband was underpaid by his company for 16 years. A company who employs disability clients. My husband was a field worker managing 2 disability workers and working alongside them. He challenged the company. We had to employ a lawyer (with lower fees for low-income people). He got back paid for 6 years (the legal limit they have to pay). Which tipped us over the limit for my Centrelink job seeker payment for the next 12 months into the future and threatened my connection with my employment agency. We lost our low-income health card and all our concessions. Because his pay went up to $21 an hour.’

Another chimed in to explain their own situation, stating, ‘When you earn too much for a concession card but are too poor to afford the things you relied on the concession card for.’

The discussion highlighted the inherent obstacles faced by Australia's lower-income brackets.

As insightful as this conversation was to read, it invites even more debate. Should fines be tied to income? How can we make quality clothing and healthy food readily affordable? What more can be done to assist with medical costs? We would love to unpack this essential issue together. We’re also curious whether you have any examples of your own.

Sponsored
If you're a seasoned IKEA shopper who's ever bought a faux-leather lounge for half the price, only for it to crumble like a sausage roll, then you're probably well-acquainted with the phrase ‘buy cheap, buy twice’. But not everyone has a choice in the matter.

Recently, a thoughtful discussion arose online about the pitfalls associated with living on a low or fixed income and how it can paradoxically be more expensive than the cost of living for those on a higher income.

The post unearthed the issue through relatable examples like exorbitant bank overdraft fees, high grocery prices and the cost of ‘convenience’ when you don’t live close to major discount stores.

View attachment 24367
A discussion arose about ‘how expensive it is to be poor’ in Australia. Credit: Pexels

One participant confessed to bargain hunting at ALDI, swayed by deals on essentials such as fruit and veg, only to succumb to the tantalising ‘life-changing’ offerings of the notorious middle aisle.

Issues of registration, parking, fines, dental work, electricity bills, fuel, public transport, and clothing were also uncovered as grave concerns.

One commenter suggested that fines should be a fraction of one's earnings, addressing the asymmetrical burden these bear upon low-income individuals.

The lack of quality affordable winter clothing was also a huge concern, with many stating the unfairness in the 'cheap equals thin' mentality of low-cost fashion and op shops.

‘Clothing. There's no cheap warm clothes. You have to layer up a lot more since cheap=thin. Even op shops overcharge.’ said one comment.

Another added, ‘Can’t buy decent pots and pans or shoes so buy cheap ones that wear out and have to be replaced. Buy once and buy quality requires money to shell out in the first place.’

Meanwhile, others were more concerned with another essential–mediation. Medication expenses, particularly for the ageing demographic dealing with increased health anomalies, were another huge point of worry.

Dental health was an issue that equally resonated with commenters, with stories of decade-long lapses from their last visit.

‘I haven't been to the dentist since the free dental van in primary school. Definitely over twenty years ago.’

Food shopping left many disgruntled, pointing out the regrettable irony of being compelled to buy food in lesser quantities at a much higher cost per kilogram, underscoring the expensive struggle of being poor.

View attachment 24368
The original post that spurred the discussion. Credit: Reddit/Fickle_Restaurant_77

Buy-in-bulk stores like Costco emerged as a saving grace but were still viewed as a mixed blessing considering the membership fees, vast storage space necessary, and transport hassles involved.

The narrative of a woman whose husband was underpaid for 16 years by his disability service employer was particularly striking. They took the company to court, and even though they got a six-year back payment, this led to the loss of their low-income health card and other concessions.

‘My husband was underpaid by his company for 16 years. A company who employs disability clients. My husband was a field worker managing 2 disability workers and working alongside them. He challenged the company. We had to employ a lawyer (with lower fees for low-income people). He got back paid for 6 years (the legal limit they have to pay). Which tipped us over the limit for my Centrelink job seeker payment for the next 12 months into the future and threatened my connection with my employment agency. We lost our low-income health card and all our concessions. Because his pay went up to $21 an hour.’

Another chimed in to explain their own situation, stating, ‘When you earn too much for a concession card but are too poor to afford the things you relied on the concession card for.’

The discussion highlighted the inherent obstacles faced by Australia's lower-income brackets.

As insightful as this conversation was to read, it invites even more debate. Should fines be tied to income? How can we make quality clothing and healthy food readily affordable? What more can be done to assist with medical costs? We would love to unpack this essential issue together. We’re also curious whether you have any examples of your own.

No, fines should DEFINITELY not be tied to income. There are an awful lot of people committing crimes and so many don’t have jobs - so what would lower income related fines achieve? More crime by those people who can get away with it because they know they won’t be fined a lot.

I don’t have an answer to the food situation but perhaps medical and medicines could be looked at but only on presentation of proof of wages; however, even doctors’ fees and lower medicine costs would be very, very hard to police and will cost heaps and heaps in higher costs for everything we need as we the taxpayer will be paying ever so much more for everything (it’s already so high), a massive increase in tax and a massive decrease in any pension received to set up and police. Do you get people to declare, legally, their previous month’s wages (and how do you get an honest declaration) so they can get medicines, medical and assistance - what and how can that be policed? A very difficult situation on all fronts, I’m afraid.

The government of today is already in turmoil trying to sort through the previous government’s mess, somethings are going well and others are going belly up. I feel that todays government is moving in ever smaller circles with no OUT on some issues.

Reactions: Cheezil
Yes bring in fine ties to income. Would lessen the crime rate like it had in European countries that have done do. Brilliant idea. Better than voting no to the voice.

Depends on what the fine is for. Fines for drug related offences should be really hefty so any gains made are lost, gaol for drug supply should be life in prison as ultimately these suppliers are murderers. Fines for lesser offences should be income based, but also should be hefty enough to make people think twice before committing further offences, and consecutive offences should attract higher fines regardless of what the offence is. Fines and gaol sentences should not differ between rich and poor just because someone can afford to pay for a high class legal team. Same crime, same time regardless of who you are. Fines for different crimes should be based on a percentage of the criminals income so the more you earn the more you pay.

Reactions: mylittletibbies

View attachment 24367

View attachment 24368

This iss definitely a growing problem. I am a pensioner (aged), and am fortunate to have govt housing...
Even so, I find I am unable to make ends meet, frequently.
All of the things mentioned are a nightmare.
Add to that, the stupid idea of 60 day dispensing and it will tip many if us, over the edge.
Plus. I waited over a year, for bypass surgery and by the time I had it, my artery was 99.9% blocked!
I am now awaiting shoulder surgery. Medications don't help the Odin and there is no guarantee that I will get my surgery in the foreseeable future.
Need I go on!!

Reactions: Bunyip57
Depends on what the fine is for. Fines for drug related offences should be really hefty so any gains made are lost, gaol for drug supply should be life in prison as ultimately these suppliers are murderers. Fines for lesser offences should be income based, but also should be hefty enough to make people think twice before committing further offences, and consecutive offences should attract higher fines regardless of what the offence is. Fines and gaol sentences should not differ between rich and poor just because someone can afford to pay for a high class legal team. Same crime, same time regardless of who you are. Fines for different crimes should be based on a percentage of the criminals income so the more you earn the more you pay.
Most of your answers/suggestions I agree with, but not all.

No, fines should DEFINITELY not be tied to income. There are an awful lot of people committing crimes and so many don’t have jobs - so what would lower income related fines achieve? More crime by those people who can get away with it because they know they won’t be fined a lot.

I don’t have an answer to the food situation but perhaps medical and medicines could be looked at but only on presentation of proof of wages; however, even doctors’ fees and lower medicine costs would be very, very hard to police and will cost heaps and heaps in higher costs for everything we need as we the taxpayer will be paying ever so much more for everything (it’s already so high), a massive increase in tax and a massive decrease in any pension received to set up and police. Do you get people to declare, legally, their previous month’s wages (and how do you get an honest declaration) so they can get medicines, medical and assistance - what and how can that be policed? A very difficult situation on all fronts, I’m afraid.

The government of today is already in turmoil trying to sort through the previous government’s mess, somethings are going well and others are going belly up. I feel that todays government is moving in ever smaller circles with no OUT on some issues.
Agree & was going to comment similarly (minus the politics lol, tho thinking the same) What a mess!

Can relate to pretty much all these things & have lived like this pretty much all my adult life (even when i earnt half decent income it went nowhere raising 2 kids/supporting a family & everyone else wanted it- higher income=higher expenses -tax, etc)!

It's never gonna get easier! Money struggles have caused me more suicidal thoughts than i have ever admitted/confessed to anyone, but here i am, finally debt free & living alone steering my own ship (living very tightly frugal)! There really seems no other solutions when every decade things get worse, life should not be this hard!

I thought retirement might change things but its still no easier at 62yo this month & i have to work 4 jobs/49hrs week to survive & have a little spare just to enjoy a meal out with friends/family once in a while (i dont drink alcohol, smoke or have any other enjoyment as cannot afford it)!
I remember fondly the days working part time as a 17yo in the late 70's earning $80 per week & rent costing $25 but always having enough $ spare for food, alcohol & fun!
There honestly seems no solutions, it should not be like this!

Reactions: Defiant540
How about increasing ALL government payments to the minimum wage. The basic problem in these areas is that the government payments have barely been increased for most of the last 10 years. Also increase the Medicare Scheduled Fees so more doc tors wil bulk bill. These also have noit been increased for 10 years!

How about increasing ALL government payments to the minimum wage. The basic problem in these areas is that the government payments have barely been increased for most of the last 10 years. Also increase the Medicare Scheduled Fees so more doc tors wil bulk bill. These also have noit been increased for 10 years!
Whilst all pensioners would be grateful for ALL government payments to be increased to the minimum wage, one might as well guarantee that the government will say “”Go out and get a job. Why haven’t you saved anything all the years you’ve worked?

It is impossible to have payments equal minimum wages without everything else going up, especially taxes. So the vicious circle continues.

And tying fines to income, I believe, will not only increase crime but give even petty criminals more opportunity to try and abscond from the scene of a crime or accident etc hoping they will not be caught or if they do then it will be a slap on the wrist or a few dollars fine for the naughty boy or girl because they don’t have jobs or money to pay up. We have enough impudent young (& some older people) blatantly committing crimes now without allowing them to get away with it with an insignificant fine. Increase fines, I say - hopefully that would be a deterrent instead. Don’t do wrong and you won’t have to pay.
Yes bring in fine ties to income. Would lessen the crime rate like it had in European countries that have done do. Brilliant idea. Better than voting no to the voice.

taxes.

Last edited: