The harsh reality of the rental crisis through the eyes of a 71-year-old evictee

Louise Wilksch had been paying $900 a month for her Brunswick East bungalow for 25 years, but now, the 71-year-old Melbourne woman has become the voice of Australia’s brutal rental crisis and has found herself without a home.

Louise had been living in the same address for a quarter of a century, receiving disability pension, until the start of this month when she was hit with an eviction letter.

shutterstock_2169327713.jpg
Brunswick East, Melbourne. Image source: Shutterstock.

'It’s sent me into shock. I couldn’t eat for a few days, and then I got a really bad cold. I think from the stress,' she told The Guardian of the devastating news.

Priya Stern, a 19-year-old Visual Arts student at the University of Melbourne, was so moved by Ms Wilksch’s plight she has started a GoFundMe to help raise cash to support her, despite the two women never having crossed paths. She wanted to highlight the fact that older Australians were often particularly vulnerable when it comes to sky-high rents.

'I don’t know Louise personally, but when I read her story, I just felt so sad for her,' Priya said.

'A lot of my friends are really struggling, and some of my country friends who are trying to go to uni can’t move to the city, so they are travelling an hour and a half each way – it’s very hard.'

‘It is definitely affecting everyone, including a lot of elderly people – things are really bad.’

‘Louise can’t find anywhere else in the same area because it’s so expensive, even though she works there and all her friends are there, and it’s really hard to move, especially when you’re a bit older.’

As we all know, Aussies of all ages are struggling at the moment. According to GoFundMe Regional Director Nicola Britton, the rising cost of living is leaving the most vulnerable in the country with little choice but to choose between their home or pay for everyday essentials.

In fact, there has been a staggering 263 per cent increase in the number of GoFundMe fundraisers that mention “cost of living” and “rising cost of living” in the last 12 months, compared with the 12 months prior.

'The past two years, we have seen Australians grapple with the country’s rental crisis, launching fundraisers for temporary accommodation. Now, as the housing crisis continues, the rising cost of living is leaving these same people forced to choose between their home or pay for everyday essentials,' Nicola said.

She went on, ‘While I am glad we can provide a platform for Australians to give and get help, community support can only extend so far.’

And the problem doesn’t look like it’s going away anytime soon, either. PropTrack’s August Market Insight report showed rental vacancy rates had dropped to 1.43 per cent in July, with a shortage of available rental properties driving up prices in both major cities and regional areas.

Key Takeaways
  • A 71-year-old Melbourne woman has become the voice of Australia’s brutal rental crisis after receiving an eviction notice from the home where she lived for 25 years.
  • Louise Wilksch, who receives a disability pension, has just two weeks left to find a new home, causing her significant distress.
  • A 19-year-old University of Melbourne student, Priya Stern, was so moved by Ms Wilksch's story that she started a GoFundMe campaign to support her.
  • There has been a staggering 263 per cent increase in GoFundMe fundraisers that mention 'cost of living' and 'rising cost of living' in the last 12 months, highlighting the severity of Australia's current housing crisis.

Members, it’s stories like Ms Wilksch’s that serve as a stark reminder for us all to stay informed when it comes to the rental crisis in Australia. Longtime landlords no longer feel guaranteed security, and tenants no longer have the peace of mind they once had. If you or someone you know is struggling to pay rent, you can contact Services Australia’s Rent Assistance here for information on how to get help.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Tell us what you think in the comments below.

Sponsored
Louise Wilksch had been paying $900 a month for her Brunswick East bungalow for 25 years, but now, the 71-year-old Melbourne woman has become the voice of Australia’s brutal rental crisis and has found herself without a home.

Louise had been living in the same address for a quarter of a century, receiving disability pension, until the start of this month when she was hit with an eviction letter.

View attachment 28593

'It’s sent me into shock. I couldn’t eat for a few days, and then I got a really bad cold. I think from the stress,' she told The Guardian of the devastating news.

Priya Stern, a 19-year-old Visual Arts student at the University of Melbourne, was so moved by Ms Wilksch’s plight she has started a GoFundMe to help raise cash to support her, despite the two women never having crossed paths. She wanted to highlight the fact that older Australians were often particularly vulnerable when it comes to sky-high rents.

'I don’t know Louise personally, but when I read her story, I just felt so sad for her,' Priya said.

'A lot of my friends are really struggling, and some of my country friends who are trying to go to uni can’t move to the city, so they are travelling an hour and a half each way – it’s very hard.'

‘It is definitely affecting everyone, including a lot of elderly people – things are really bad.’

‘Louise can’t find anywhere else in the same area because it’s so expensive, even though she works there and all her friends are there, and it’s really hard to move, especially when you’re a bit older.’

As we all know, Aussies of all ages are struggling at the moment. According to GoFundMe Regional Director Nicola Britton, the rising cost of living is leaving the most vulnerable in the country with little choice but to choose between their home or pay for everyday essentials.

In fact, there has been a staggering 263 per cent increase in the number of GoFundMe fundraisers that mention “cost of living” and “rising cost of living” in the last 12 months, compared with the 12 months prior.

'The past two years, we have seen Australians grapple with the country’s rental crisis, launching fundraisers for temporary accommodation. Now, as the housing crisis continues, the rising cost of living is leaving these same people forced to choose between their home or pay for everyday essentials,' Nicola said.

She went on, ‘While I am glad we can provide a platform for Australians to give and get help, community support can only extend so far.’

And the problem doesn’t look like it’s going away anytime soon, either. PropTrack’s August Market Insight report showed rental vacancy rates had dropped to 1.43 per cent in July, with a shortage of available rental properties driving up prices in both major cities and regional areas.

Key Takeaways

• A 71-year-old Melbourne woman has become the voice of Australia’s brutal rental crisis after receiving an eviction notice from the home where she lived for 25 years.
  • Louise Wilksch, who receives a disability pension, has just two weeks left to find a new home, causing her significant distress.
  • A 19-year-old University of Melbourne student, Priya Stern, was so moved by Ms Wilksch's story that she started a GoFundMe campaign to support her.
  • There has been a staggering 263 per cent increase in GoFundMe fundraisers that mention 'cost of living' and 'rising cost of living' in the last 12 months, highlighting the severity of Australia's current housing crisis.

Members, it’s stories like Ms Wilksch’s that serve as a stark reminder for us all to stay informed when it comes to the rental crisis in Australia. Longtime landlords no longer feel guaranteed security, and tenants no longer have the peace of mind they once had. If you or someone you know is struggling to pay rent, you can contact Services Australia’s Rent Assistance here for information on how to get help.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Tell us what you think in the comments below.
Both my son and I are on disability pensions and over the past year our rent has gone up from $350 to $450 a week. We are lucky we live together but finding a place with cheap rent is impossible. We have moved 3 times in the past 2 years. Rental agents have become rude, ruthless and uncaring. Our last agent with Orange Maple properties put our rent up $60 a week and refused to accept the government rental subsidy offered us , he even physically assaulted me because I stood up to him. It is about getting what they want with no care for a renter and their situation, I call it great, maybe the people in government should come and try living the way we do and see if they can last more than a week on our income.

Both my son and I are on disability pensions and over the past year our rent has gone up from $350 to $450 a week. We are lucky we live together but finding a place with cheap rent is impossible. We have moved 3 times in the past 2 years. Rental agents have become rude, ruthless and uncaring. Our last agent with Orange Maple properties put our rent up $60 a week and refused to accept the government rental subsidy offered us , he even physically assaulted me because I stood up to him. It is about getting what they want with no care for a renter and their situation, I call it great, maybe the people in government should come and try living the way we do and see if they can last more than a week on our income.

Reactions: Senior72
My daughter who is a single mum with 3 kids has been evicted from her town house in Bankstown, the owner did this to her neighbour , the new neighbours are now paying $750 , up from $520.
My daughter knows this will be the same for her.

She has not found or should I say been approved for a property, they are more likely to give it to a working couple rather than a single mum with 3 kids.

Here is the bad thing. She needs to be out by Monday, so tomorrow her belongings go into storage , she then needs to call a place that is a branch of Dept of Housing and they will put them in a hotel which is crisis housing, will then help to get her into a home. Yes I can give them my upstairs loungeroom but then she won't get any help as she won't be classed as homeless and I can't have an extra 4 people long term .
Her kids are 12, 14 and 17 , the 17 year old has aspergers .

It should never come to this, if she was on drugs she would get a housing commission place straight away.

Our government needs to stop sending so much money overseas and start helping their own !!!

Ps She went to the tribunal and it was them that extended it a month to the 4th September, she has applied for over 100 properties mostly units as that's all she can afford

Last edited:
"Louise can’t find anywhere else in the same area because it’s so expensive, even though she works there and all her friends are there, and it’s really hard to move, especially when you’re a bit older."
I think she's a rare one on a disability pension that still works at 71.
She's been living a good life in inner Melbourne - no doubt going to all the nice cafes.

"Louise can’t find anywhere else in the same area because it’s so expensive, even though she works there and all her friends are there, and it’s really hard to move, especially when you’re a bit older."
She's been living a good life in inner Melbourne - no doubt going to all the nice cafes.
I didn't realise what you just said, totally agree. I'm not sure how someone who is on DSP can even work. I'm not on it yet but there is no way I could work.
I actually told my daughter she has to be prepared to live where ever she can, an old saying my nan used to say ' beggers can't be chooses '

This lady has every right to live her life as she wants , and not be judged .

I didn't realise what you just said, totally agree. I'm not sure how someone who is on DSP can even work. I'm not on it yet but there is no way I could work.
I actually told my daughter she has to be prepared to live where ever she can, an old saying my nan used to say ' beggers can't be chooses '
I don't know how DSP works. Perhaps the Journalist got it wrong about her working. :unsure:

Reactions: Vinylted and Marj53

View attachment 28593

Key Takeaways

This is inhumane. Given her tenure there the owners of the property should at the very least assist her in some way, in finding a new place or giving her extra time to find another property. Gutless wonders.

I’m confused by the 2nd paragraph?

My daughter who is a single mum with 3 kids has been evicted from her town house in Bankstown, the owner did this to her neighbour , the new neighbours are now paying $750 , up from $520.
My daughter knows this will be the same for her.

She has not found or should I say been approved for a property, they are more likely to give it to a working couple rather than a single mum with 3 kids.

Here is the bad thing. She needs to be out by Monday, so tomorrow her belongings go into storage , she then needs to call a place that is a branch of Dept of Housing and they will put them in a hotel which is crisis housing, will then help to get her into a home. Yes I can give them my upstairs loungeroom but then she won't get any help as she won't be classed as homeless and I can't have an extra 4 people long term .
Her kids are 12, 14 and 17 , the 17 year old has asberges .

It should never come to this, if she was on drugs she would get a housing commission place straight away.

Our government needs to stop sending so much money overseas and start helping their own !!!

Ps She went to the tribunal and it was them that extended it a month to the 4th September, she has applied for over 100 properties mostly units as that's all she can afford
😫